PDA

View Full Version : What do you do with a leftover turkey

Rollingthunder
27th Dec 2006, 19:28
Other than vote him out of office.
Sandwiches for a week, soup, stew, pie, stir-fry, stock ?

G-CPTN
27th Dec 2006, 19:47
I'm puzzled as to why you have 'left-over' turkey.
I presume that you'll still be hungry tomorrow and for days to come. Turkey will keep (refrigerated if you are in warm climes) and doesn't lose its flavour.
Served cold with pickles, or sliced and made into sandwiches if you are back to work, otherwise by all means reheat it (with gravy) or chop it into a fricassee.
WHEN the carcase is denuded, then simmer it (break it up to make a stronger flavour) to make a soup (maybe add a few root vegetables and season with black pepper).

If you get sick of turkey, maybe YOU'RE the turkey for buying too large a bird, or for not inviting more guests to share your Christmas Feast.

If, however, you're a leg person and there's lots of white breast-meat left (and you've overcooked the bird and it's dry) then mince the leftover meat and bind-in a raw egg or two then make 'patties' which can be fried (like fish-cakes). You can bulk it out (though you were trying to get RID of it, weren't you?) with breadcrumbs (especially if you bought-in too much bread and it's gone dry and slightly stale).

chiglet
27th Dec 2006, 20:27
"STUFF IT" :E
watp,iktch

Foss
27th Dec 2006, 20:34
I know a good site for a leftover turkey.

A landfill site.

Failing that, get what's left off, shred it, mix with mayo and a handful of sweetcorn, maybe some chopped fried bacon, and use it in sandwiches.
That's I normally buy in the deli sarnie shop.
Fos

G-CPTN
27th Dec 2006, 20:43
I know a good site for a leftover turkey.
Get a dog (or borrow one - any passing hound will probably oblige).

BOFH
27th Dec 2006, 21:00
G-CPTN
reheat it (with gravy) or chop it into a fricassee.
WHEN the carcase is denuded, then simmer it (break it up to make a stronger flavour) to make a soup (maybe add a few root vegetables and season with black pepper).
Funny you mentioned that - that's what I just did! Very gentle stir-fry of the flesh whilst boiling up the goo and bones, chuck the broth, with vegetables, into the skillet - sorted. (Although Mrs BOFH asked me if I was certain of what I was doing).

Upon reflection, though, the advantage with eating it cold is that you don't have to eat the lot at once.

BOFH

Lon More
27th Dec 2006, 21:27
Give it to the Kurds:uhoh:

miikey
27th Dec 2006, 21:33
well the turkey will only last a week before it starts to taste a bit funky,i.e out of date.

so i just make sandwhiches and eat turkey as much as i can, well by day 2 theres only a bit left.A family of 4 is like having 4 leopards,

gingernut
27th Dec 2006, 21:36
I was told that it would keep up to 3 months in the freezer.

Put one in yesterday, and the buggers dead already.......

BUM BUM:)

G-CPTN
27th Dec 2006, 22:04
A young man named John received a parrot as a gift. The parrot had a bad attitude and an even worse vocabulary. Every word out of the bird's mouth was rude, obnoxious and laced with profanity.
John tried and tried to change the bird's attitude by consistently saying only polite words, playing soft music and anything else he could think of to "clean up" the bird's vocabulary. Finally, John was fed up and he yelled at the parrot. The parrot yelled back. John shook the parrot and the parrot got angrier and even ruder.
John, in desperation, threw up his hand, grabbed the bird and put him in the freezer.
For a few minutes the parrot squawked and kicked and screamed. Then suddenly there was total quiet. Not a peep was heard for over a minute. Fearing that he'd hurt the parrot, John quickly opened the door to the freezer.
The parrot calmly stepped out onto John's outstretched arms and said "I believe I may have offended you with my rude language and actions. I'm sincerely remorseful for my inappropriate transgressions and I fully intend to do everything I can to correct my rude and unforgivable behavior."

John was stunned at the change in the bird's attitude. As he was about to ask the parrot what had made such a dramatic change in his behavior, the bird continued, "May I ask what the turkey did?"

GrumpyOldFart
27th Dec 2006, 22:54
What do you do with a left-over turkey?

Well, if you're in the UK you address him as 'Prime Minister' for a few more months, then replace him with Gordon Brown (i.e. more of the same).

seawings
27th Dec 2006, 23:14
My wife takes the carcass and boils it and retrieves the broth.
Take the remaining turkey meat and pull into small strips and layer the bottom of a casserole dish.
Then place a layer of dressing (bread or cornbread, what ever you made)
Then a layer of turkey meat
and so on layering (turkey / dressing) until full.
Pour the broth over the ingredients...cover and freeze.
This makes a great meal...out of the freezer, into the oven (or microwave) serve with a salad and a glass of chilled Chardonnay.
Fast, tasty and fully utilizes the left over turkey.
Bon appetite!

Blacksheep
28th Dec 2006, 06:47
Turkey Curry?
Bubble and Gobble? (Like Bubble & Squeak, but with turkey instead of red meat)
Or maybe amuse or embarass the children (depending on their age)? - do a Mr. Bean impression and wear it on your head.

Being on my own this year, I bought a chicken. Three quarters of which was left over. I've had the roast; the chicken sarnies for lunch three days in a row; the chicken wings with Nasi Lemak and the other customary accompaniments; I'm so sick of chicken that tonight, the neighbourhood stray cats will enjoy their epiphany dinner. (They had salmon and mashed potato fish balls for Xmas.)

I'm going to have steak and chips with mushy peas.

Gainesy
28th Dec 2006, 06:52
Drop kick it into the field next door for Charlie.

(NB Yank mates, Charlie is slang for fox, not some little bloke with an AK).

Standard Noise
28th Dec 2006, 07:47
Drop kick it into the field next door for Charlie.

(NB Yank mates, Charlie is slang for fox, not some little bloke with an AK).
Make sure you've got your AK ready, blow Charlie's head off and roast him, he'll make a lovely change from turkey!:}

Pseudonymn
28th Dec 2006, 07:50
What do you do with a leftover turkey

Slap it!?

I know, I know... hat, coat, door etc

Oceanz
28th Dec 2006, 08:27
Flog it to catering and don't eat a crew meal for a few days.

PanPanYourself
28th Dec 2006, 08:29
What do you do with a leftover turkey?
You know what, thats a ridiculous question. We may be getting the shaft from Europe and pretty much all of our malicious neighbours but that doesn't mean we're a bunch of leftovers like some uneaten thanksgiving dish. I resent the implication as such, and I don't appreciate the creation of a thread to further degrade and humiliate Turkey.

So in answer to your question, no we're not leftovers, and theres nothing you can do with us other than envy our superior sense of humor.

yeah, I should probably get my coat too

jay_hl
28th Dec 2006, 12:23
Only when you have had the 12 days of turkey, then your can ask what to do on the thirteenth day.

Enjoy

The Twelve Days of Turkey

On the first day of Christmas my true love said to me
I'm glad we've bought a turkey and a proper Christmas tree.

On the second day of Christmas much laughter could be heard
As we tucked into our turkey - a most delicious bird.

On the third day of Christmas we had friends in from next door
The turkey tasted just as good as on the day before.

On the fourth day of Christmas, Gran came, she's rather old.
We finished up the Christmas pud and ate the turkey cold.

On the fifth day of Christmas outside the snowflakes flurried
But we were nice and warm inside - we ate the turkey - curried.

On the sixth day of Christmas the turkey spirit died.
The children fought and bickered and we ate the turkey - fried.

On the seventh day of Christmas my true love gave a wince
When he sat down to dinner and was given turkey mince.

On the eighth day of Christmas the dog ran off for shelter
I served up turkey pancakes and a glass of Alka Seltzer.

On the ninth day of Christmas poor Dad began to cry
He said he couldn't stand the strain of eating turkey pie.

On the tenth day of Christmas the air was rather blue
And everybody grumbled at eating turkey stew.

On the eleventh day of Christmas the Christmas tree was moulting
Mince pies hard as rock and the turkey quite revolting.

On the twelfth day of Christmas at last Dad smacked his lips
The guests had gone, the turkey too - we dined on fish and chips!

christn
28th Dec 2006, 13:57
.......100 if you eat the fecker!
(thank-you alexei sayle)

matt_hooks
28th Dec 2006, 15:21
Put him in the scuppers with the hosepipe on him?

Oh no, sorry, that's a drunken sailor!

I'm off to make a Lurkey curry methinks, should get rid of most of the leftovers :)