PDA

View Full Version : When animals will rule the world.

G-CPTN
27th Dec 2006, 15:29
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/sci/tech/3430481.stm
a captive African grey called N'kisi, has a vocabulary of 950 words, and shows signs of a sense of humour.
He invents his own words and phrases if he is confronted with novel ideas with which his existing repertoire cannot cope - just as a human child would do.

matelot
27th Dec 2006, 15:47
...a captive African grey...

Why didn't you say it was a parrot? I was looking for a flaming horse called Mr Ed. :)

G-CPTN
27th Dec 2006, 15:51
Might've been a talking elephant making a trunk call . . .

click
27th Dec 2006, 16:10
That description fits my boss exactly....now I know what to call him:E

ORAC
27th Dec 2006, 16:39
Not sure about ruling the world, but good enough for a career in TV or show business....

frostbite
27th Dec 2006, 17:02
Can well believe it - my 20yo African Grey has several phrases which seemed to have been programmed into him at birth. Says lots of things that have never been taught, and a lot of phrases he's made up for himself.

Sense of humour only applies when I am the butt of the joke. If I laugh at him when he's been clumsy, he gets quite huffy.

Solid Rust Twotter
27th Dec 2006, 17:56
So, brighter than most politicians then....?

Shouldn't be too long before they're in charge.:ok:

Foss
27th Dec 2006, 18:03
The Idiot already rules my world. It's ahead of the game.
Fos

frostbite
27th Dec 2006, 20:09
To judge from the plucked chest feathers, all is not right.

(Mine removes the down from round his shoulders)

G-CPTN
27th Dec 2006, 20:12
To judge from the plucked chest feathers, all is not right.
Well, it IS a feather plucker . . .

Blacksheep
28th Dec 2006, 01:33
When I was twelve years old, I was teased by an elephant.

I was hanging about Billy Smarts Circus as they put up their Big Top in 'Tilery Rec'. My bicycle was lying on the ground and one of the circus hands was leading the elephant along, when she stopped, moved across to my bike and placed her foot gently on the front wheel. She then turned her head and looked at me with one eye as she pressed the wheel into the soft ground, but without damaging it. Then she lifted her foot, turned round and peed on the bike. Finally she turned to face me, looked directly at me and trumpeted with her trunk in the air, before turning and walking off with her trainer.

I have no doubt whatsoever that she had a wicked sense of humour, knew exactly what she was doing and thouroughly enjoyed her little joke.

arcniz
28th Dec 2006, 08:40
Sounds a LOT like Jet Blast.....

frostbite
28th Dec 2006, 11:51
Blacksheep, did you ever see that superb Rolo advert with the elephant?

G-CPTN
28th Dec 2006, 11:53
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SyibWhOf_xE

Blacksheep
29th Dec 2006, 04:33
No frosty, I try to avoid pachyderms whenever possible.

I can't say I've been overly fond of ephelumps since I was twelve years old. :(