PDA

View Full Version : US equipment suitable for UK use??

bishop99
27th Dec 2006, 11:51
Hello all, hope uve all had a good christmas.

In about a months time im going to be jetting off to America for a few months to do my CPL, and was wondering.............. if i purchased a Digital Camera over there would it be usable\compatible with my UK computer and such programs, and would there be a problem with the charging it in the UK?? Any difference with memory cards??

Has anyone got any suggestions on a decent Camera which will not cost me a small fortune??

Apologies if my grammar is poor.

Bishop99

P.Pilcher
27th Dec 2006, 13:39
Well, the camera will probably be compatible with your computer, but if it has a charger to recharge it's batteries this will be designed to work on 110 volts not 240 as needed over here, furthermore if you want to display the output from the camera on your telly, you need a camera that provides PAL encoding to produce the colour, not NTSC as used in the US for the same purpose.

P.P.

airborne_artist
27th Dec 2006, 19:41
Buy a camera that uses AA or AAA batteries, and when you get to the US buy a plug-in battery charger for US voltage. They cost about £15 here, so they'll be $10-15 in the US.

Other than answer above, you'll have no problems. Probably better off buying it in the US, as it'll be cheaper.

Buy a Sony/Olympus/Canon and you'll be fine. They seem to be very reliable bits of kit.

Keef
27th Dec 2006, 19:49
Look at the charger that comes with it. Most of them these days are switch-mode power supplies, and will run happily (and are so marked) on anything from 110 to 250 volts AC, 50 or 60 Hertz.

My UK laptop's charger plugs into US mains (via an adaptor, sold at every airport shop) and works perfectly over there. Ditto my digital camera.

If it's a still camera, it will connect via your PC and you will have no problems.
If it's "movie", you may run into the NTSC vs PAL etc issue. Some are switchable, some are not. Check!

bladewashout
27th Dec 2006, 22:46
Most electronics shops in the US will flog you a 240-to-110V converter for about 10 bucks which will power the sub-1Amp charger, or you can buy a multi-output charger on the internet pretty cheap if you are prepared to make sure the polarity and connectors are right.

Every camera I have seen will do PAL and NTSC in the settings

Watch out for warranty - some only have 30 or 90 day international warranty, it's a pain getting it fixed if you are abroad back in the UK.

Sony/Olympus/Canon/Fuji. We have the Sony Cybershot DSC150, now the DSC200 something, brilliant piece of kit.

BW

spannersatcx
28th Dec 2006, 15:22
As the $ is almost 2-1 against the £ now's the time to buy!!:)

ORAC
28th Dec 2006, 17:35
Ummm, they do expect tourists to take their cameras abroad with them, so, unless they are a very strange company, it will work fine everywhere.

Just check the charger etc as mentioned above, I have found some companies put 110v instead of 110/220V power supplies inside to save a few cents, but normally only for things like routers etc for use at home - not travel items....

Background Noise
28th Dec 2006, 19:35
As said, most chargers cope with all voltages but it will have a US plug on it - you'll need an adapter or a new charger when you get back for UK sockets. I would expect it would still be cheaper to buy there, especially with the dollar so low at the moment, even if you have to buy a charger back here (as long as you don't get the company's own brand charger)

nitro rig driver
29th Dec 2006, 12:07
All my equip is sony bought from all around the world
so far all chargers/adaptors etc are 110/250 imput and have a common plug on them so its just a case of finding a local lead (very common plug) or
adaptor to fit the mains