PDA

View Full Version : Flight Safety Australia Nov/Dec 2006 - A Dark Side to GPS?

Ratshit
27th Dec 2006, 10:12
I have just received the latest Flight Safety Australia - and read it from cover to cover, as I generally do.

Is it just me, or is the article "A Dark Side to GPS?" poorly written, overly complicated and quite confusing?

I have done all the required GNSS (RNAV) training, and did my initial endorsement with a King GPS. I have made it my business to know the GNS430 in the Fork-tailed Dr Killer pretty well. I am current, and regularly fly GPS approaches.

It just doesn't seem as complex or confusing as this article would have you believe.

Maybe I am missing something and would be interested to hear the views of others.

How many GA pilots out there regularly jump from one aircraft to another with different GPS systems installed and is this a significant safety issue?

R:cool:

Capt Claret
27th Dec 2006, 11:44
No longer in GA but used to fly a fleet of 14suxes fitted with GNS-XLS, except for one dog fitted with a Trimble (*Y^%, the most user unfriendly and non-intuitive GPS known to mankind.

As for safety issues, when one feeds in a star and the damned thing wants to do a 180, that could be considered a safety issue.

illusion
27th Dec 2006, 11:45
It is not only the lighter aircraft where there are problems. basic ergonomic isues exist with heavy jets where for example the GPS distance to run display is right next to the DME distance display- Not good I can assure you.
What is CASA doing about standardisation? Nothing because if individuals cause waves they will not get a real job in the industry.
:ugh:

Chronic Snoozer
27th Dec 2006, 13:05
'illusion',
I remember discussing standardisation with CASA many moons ago, and I am led to believe that the reality is the GPS manufacturers call the shots. There is no standard interface between pilot and GPS, this would take away a valuable marketing facet that is exploitable by the major manufacturers. Therefore the moral of the story is be werry, werry careful when flying with a GPS which is NOT the one you are used to. It may be quite tricky negotiating the different menus. (having said that, the TSO's obviously stipulate the performance standards required, so in that respect the GPS's should be of equivalent standards.)
Coming back to your question re CASA, what are they doing? I don't know, but I doubt there is much they can do directly, the shots are called in the US, the largest market. I guess they must be lobbying ICAO etc to standardise the pilot interface. Anyone from CASA care to shed more light on its influence?