PDA

View Full Version : How to explain all these documents???

Ricky Bobby
27th Dec 2006, 04:54
A friend was flicking through an old FSA magazines the other night and came across an ad for the CASA CD-ROM library when he pointed out how many documents were available, with all the dust gathering CAR, CASR etc in my cupboard and asked what they were all for...

"CAR X 2, CASR, CAO, AIP, CAAP, ERSA, DAP, etc, what does it all mean and what do they tell you?"

"Don't get me started, my head hurts already. Lets go into another room".

Is there anyone with more patience and brainpower than myself to answer this is simple layman's terms without wanting to break something?

rmcdonal
27th Dec 2006, 08:52
You forgot the Act as well

Arm out the window
27th Dec 2006, 10:10
Aaargh! It only adds insult to injury that we're in a period of seemingly pathological transition - airspace, migrating everything into CASRs, notices of proposed rule making up the wazoo.
It's enough to make you think that the atmosphere must be changing concurrently - aeroplanes must fly differently if they have to churn out all this change constantly. Or am I just getting older?

gaunty
27th Dec 2006, 10:41
FAA.

Regulations & Policies
Top Requests
Draft Airports Series 150 Advisory Circulars Open for Comment
Handbooks & Manuals
Federal Aviation Regulations (FAR)
Recently Published Rulemaking Documents
Recent and Upcoming Compliance Dates
Regulatory and Guidance Library
The Regulatory & Guidance Library (RGL) is a set of searchable databases that contain regulatory, guidance, and aviation product information. The RGL contains certain Federal Aviation Regulations (FAR) and Special Federal Aviation Regulations (SFAR) from 14 CFR in their current version as well as historical versions.
Aircraft Certification Draft Documents Open for Comment
Flight Standards District Offices (FSDO)
Advisory Circulars (ACs)
Airworthiness Directives (ADs)

Licenses & Certificates
Washington, DC Area Training
Washington Air Defense Identification Zone (DCADIZ) Online Training
Airmen
Airmen Certification
Airmen Certification Frequently Asked Questions
Integrated Airmen Certification and/or Rating Application (IACRA)
Become a Pilot
Become a Mechanic
Contact the Airmen Certification Branch
Search Airmen Certificate Information
Airmen Online Services
Update Your Address
Replace an Airman Certificate (License)
Airmen Practical Test Standards (PTS)
More » Airmen Certification Information
Aircraft
Airworthiness Certification
Aircraft Registration
Airworthiness Requirements
Contact the Aircraft Registration Branch
N-Numbers
Search Aircraft Records
Type Certificates
Supplemental Type Certificates (STC)
Type Certificate Data Sheets (TCDS)
Flight Standards District Offices (FSDO)
More » Aircraft Certification Information
Medical
Medical Certification
Get a Medical Certificate
Get Copies of Your Medical Records
Guide for Aviation Medical Examiners
More » Medical Certification Information
Forms
Form 8130-3, Authorized Release Certificate, Airworthiness Approval Tag (PDF)
Order 8130.21, Procedures for Completion and Use of FAA Form 8130-3 (PDF)
Form 8130-6, Application for US Airworthiness Certificate (PDF)
Airman Certificate and/or Rating Application
For Pilots - Form 8710-1 (PDF)
For Mechanics - Form 8610-2 (PDF)
More » Forms
Airline Certification
Airport Certification
faa.gov Tools

More of the same go here

http://www.caa.co.uk/

and if you really want to get confused have a decko here.

http://ec.europa.eu/transport/air_portal/international/index_en.htm

naah Aussie aint so bad as you think it's just fashionable to say so.:hmm: :ugh:

Ovation
27th Dec 2006, 20:37
There must be an army of public servants writing and rewriting the regulations, and what do they do when they finish their task?
They start again or otherwise they would'nt have a job!
Same with airspace. Why do we have to update maps, charts and approach plates on such a regular basis?
To keep people employed!

Torres
27th Dec 2006, 21:11
"There must be an army of public servants writing and rewriting the regulations, and what do they do when they finish their task?"

Finish the task - why bother? It's now almost ninteen years since CASA started re-writing the CARs.

There's at least few more decades and many CASA jobs to retirement left in the task!! :mad:

Brindabella
27th Dec 2006, 23:13
Ricky Bobby,

Im not sure what your question is really but if its got anything to do with how confusing it is to find the info you want in the Australian publications then I agree and think it is woeful.

I did my initial flight training in the states. For all the regulations I only ever had to open one book, the FAR's. If you bought a copy from ASA they put the AIM in the same book as well. I remember the frustration I had when I did my licenses back here just trying to dig out all the different rules for filing an alternate for example.

One thing I will say for the US regs is that its really easy to find what you want. For example if you operate charter you can find pretty much all the charter rules under one section of the regs, Part 135. Sceduled,Part 121 etc.

I remember when I sent away for the ATPL correspondance material from AFT and they sent me a huge box of binders etc with the regs and orders and AIP etc. Despite being very overwhelmed by all the binders I decided to have a crack at it. It took me about 4 hours of study before I quit...I promptly took the box of binders down to the dumpster and threw them away. I looked up to the single FAA reg/aim book sitting on my bookshelf and decided I would try and crack the Ozzie regs when I got back home to Oz and enroll in a class.

Gaunty,

I'm curious, would you agree that the Ozzie regs are a bit of a jumbled mess for an airman compared with the US ones?

Arm out the window
28th Dec 2006, 00:21
Not sure about the US ones, but I think ours could do with a serious looking at from the point of view of using plain English to say what's meant.

CAOs and CARs are shockers in some places, I reckon; they'll state something as if it's gospel in one paragraph, and then a page later there'll be a modifier, eg:

"5.12 An aircraft shall not be flown under any circumstances."
"5.18 Notwithstanding paragraph 5.12, an aircraft may be flown if...."

or this kind of thing:

"75A: It is an offence of strict liability to walk anticlockwise around an aeroplane when preflighting it. 20 Penalty units.
"75B: It is a defence against 75A if the preflight activity in question is for the purposes of operating the aircraft."

Does my head in sometimes, no wonder no two pilots can agree on anything from the regs!

gaunty
28th Dec 2006, 01:02
Brindabella

Yes without a doubt, but IMHO they are waaay better than they used to be.:ok:

Problem was converting from post colonial British is best = proscriptive = tell you how to make a watch rather than tell you the time = to presciptive = the time is. You will recall we were stoll ordering new Dragon Rapides for our International airline whilst the rest of the world was already into the DC2 age and eventually Qantas had to put their foot down and refused point blank to take the "best because it is British (and they would basically give them to us for free) " Comet and Vanguard instead of the Boeing 707 and Electra.

Somewhere in my dusty archives unless I threw it away in house move no.10? the ANRs circa 1960's were an A5 size volume 'bout 1cm thick.

Politicly and culturaly we are still attached to the "British", some would say Irish, way of doing things. To pre emptively transfer everything to the FAA system would solve a large number of issues at a stroke. What problems would it would bring? Some I'm sure but instinct tells me they would be net fewer than we now have. But then how would we deal with that abortion of a thing called the EU.

Bugger its Christmas break time to go have another lie down.:cool: