PDA

View Full Version : Mate of mine is ADAMANT theres loads of jobs out there

Garfs
26th Dec 2006, 13:17
A good mate is hour building for his CPL (FW).
He is adamant theres plenty of jobs for low hour pilots here in the UK, and says all people who can get jobs are negative di**heads who dont chase up the jobs.
I've tried to bring him down to earth and tell him, the reality, i.e. its not that easy to get a job with an airline as a fresh CPL IR (well how i see it anyway), but he thinks I am talking nonsence. Says I just have to "look at the facts"
And he says if you want to get into RW flying, a PPL should get you a job nowadays because theres a shortage of (low hour)RW pilots, again I told him a load of rubbish.
His mates seem to agree with him too.
Is it just me or am I the one talking nonsence? Its like talking to a brick wall(sorry for the rant but talking to him is just so frustrating at times) :ugh:

Capt. Queeg
26th Dec 2006, 13:24
As my dad used to say, you're missing the best part.

How can you go straight to an airline job without experiencing real aviation with a job on pistons or at least some turbo-prop time.....

The first thing you'll learn going straight to a jet is to become another drone.

Halfbaked_Boy
26th Dec 2006, 14:50
Garfs,

Have you considered it possible that your mate may actually be talking some sense into your negative attitude somewhat induced by an overdose of PPRuNe? From what I have seen there are indeed so many jobs out there for the taking for low hour pilots; maybe not flying the big iron, but not necessarily in instruction either. Plus, the United Kingdom is not the be all and end all of flying jobs - look further afield, your licence is recognised by all ICAO states so try expanding your horizons. If you are not prepared to travel then perhaps you should not have decided on training for a career as a pilot anyway - I know people who have flown for the Zimbabwe National Park chasing elephants, dropped 'meatbombs' while doing the odd bit of instruction, flown for an aerial photography company, done some Dash flying in the Carribean (who, incidentally, went on to fly for the British Antarctic Survey), and flown for an offshore based air taxi company. What's more, all of these pilots were low hour (i.e. fresh out the factory) and the two chaps who went to Africa and the Carribean respectively were also 18 and 19... respectively.

The jobs are out there if you can be arsed to find 'em,

Cheers, Jack.

Garfs
26th Dec 2006, 14:55
I dont think I am being that negative.

He seems to think he will walk straight into an airline job once he gets his CPL, and he is not willing to go abroad for it.

To me, thats a bit unrealistic. Yes I know low hour pilots do get hired, but somehow I just dont think its as simply as qualify, and go straight into the RHS of a 737 with 200 hours without any difficulty, because everyone else apparently cant be bothered to apply for the jobs, thats all :ok:

The Nr Fairy
26th Dec 2006, 18:30
Quote:

"And he says if you want to get into RW flying, a PPL should get you a job nowadays"

Not if he wants to fly the thing for a living !

Special Limitation
26th Dec 2006, 19:04
Garfs In the last WEEK I have flown with 2 F.O.'s, one had a TOTAL time of 325hrs and the other about 200 more. This was on a B757. Neither guys were spring chicks and both operated competently, and they made their ' fulltime job' finding a job, and they succeeded. If they can do it so can you (and your mate)!

Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaargh!
26th Dec 2006, 19:56
Special Do you consider 500 hrs right seat on a 757 realistic? :bored:

Not that I should knock it, being close to that and also of ever increasing years

Freight or pax?

Two's in
26th Dec 2006, 20:43
Just about anyone can get a job with a new license, the real question is, is it the job you really want? Location, salary, career development and terms and conditions are very important to some, others just live to fly. You have to compare apples with apples to get a meaningful response to "are their any jobs out there?" Young and single pilots have a diffferent set of expectations to a married guy or girl with kids.

Halfbaked_Boy
26th Dec 2006, 21:37
Garfs,

I apologise as I think I misread between the lines of your post - I believe what you are saying is true to an extent, but I am pointing out (maybe on a different level altogether) that there is an entire range of jobs out there, even if they may not be in the RHS of a jet!

All the best, Jack.

Garfs
26th Dec 2006, 22:30
Garfs,
I apologise as I think I misread between the lines of your post - I believe what you are saying is true to an extent, but I am pointing out (maybe on a different level altogether) that there is an entire range of jobs out there, even if they may not be in the RHS of a jet!
All the best, Jack.

Yes I agree with what you say.

I just want my mate to realise although he may very well get a job, it may not be straight into the one he wants, or as easy as he seems to think it will be (unless he is lucky)

Thanks for the positive spin on things tho! Thats what we need to keep ourselves going :ok:

Whirlygig
26th Dec 2006, 23:00
What your mate Adam Ant says about Rotary jobs is complete bolleaux - there is NO shortage of low-hour pilots! There might be a shortage of high-hour pilots with particular ratings but low-hour? Nah!

He know not of what he speaks!

Cheers

Whirls

Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaargh!
26th Dec 2006, 23:07
I might be wrong, but I thnk I'd rather be flying a Beaver off a lake somewhere beautiful than sitting right seat in an airliner. Not that I've done either mind, so maybe that's an incorrect assumption.

matt_hooks
26th Dec 2006, 23:36
For sheer fun and "real flying" I don't think there's a pilot on here who'd disagree with you on that point aaaaaaaargh, but unfortunately it's not that sort of job that buys you the big watch, the nice house, the fast car. (Or maybe just pays off the huge investment in flight training :( )

haughtney1
27th Dec 2006, 01:25
Ive done my fair share of piston, turbine, and lately (the last 3 years) Jet flying.
So far, nothing has even come close to a light weight takeoff in the 757.....3000fpm average rate of climb up to FL360.wooooooooooooweeeeeee:}
(Around 6000fpm at sea level)
You can keep your twin otters..and float planes :ok:

con-pilot
27th Dec 2006, 02:52
Ive done my fair share of piston, turbine, and lately (the last 3 years) Jet flying.
So far, nothing has even come close to a light weight takeoff in the 757.....3000fpm average rate of climb up to FL360.wooooooooooooweeeeeee:}
(Around 6000fpm at sea level)
You can keep your twin otters..and float planes :ok:

Well old buddy after 40 years and 20,000+ hours of flying, driving a Twin Otter around the Caribbean based out of St. Maarten doesn't sound half bad.:ok:

(Except the pay sucks.:( )

haughtney1
27th Dec 2006, 17:49
Well old buddy after 40 years and 20,000+ hours of flying, driving a Twin Otter around the Caribbean based out of St. Maarten doesn't sound half bad.

Your probably right Con, although at the moment I'm not flying from ILS to ILS etc.....plenty of interesting and challenging places (small enough for the 757 etc..)
Flying into and out of the Greek Islands e.g Skiathos, Santorini, Rhodes, Zakinthos, Kefalonia...is probably comparable to the Carib, in as much as the whole attitude is similar, as is the weather.
The biggest ball-ache with this kind of flying is having to return back to a London based airport...ugh! :ok:

Plus I get to fly a nice Cessna Caravan for fun:}

Special Limitation
28th Dec 2006, 18:27
Aaaaaaarg, It is PAX charter, and I have to say I agree with most here. I would not have missed my Aztec, Navaho, F27, Shorts flying for 10000 hrs. I look back with rose tinted glasses but it was the best grounding a person could have.