PDA

View Full Version : PCs Won't Play DVDs

mcdhu
26th Dec 2006, 11:28
Merry Christmas everyone!
My problem is that neither of my 2 household PCs will play Dvds. The first is a Dell Dimension PC using Win Xp SP2. The 2 Drives are Samsung CD-R/RW SW 248F and Samsung DVD-ROM SD-616T which should have that capability. On putting a Dvd into the first drive, I get a message that a 'compatable Dvd decoder is not installed'. If I ask Realplayer to play the Dvd, it tells me that 'Realplayer needs to download software'.
I would like to use Wmp tp play Dvds - what is it that I need to download to make it work and where can I get it from?
Please keep any answers as simple as possible.
The second Pc has Win Media Centre and seems not to recognise that there is a Dvd in either of the drives. I have tried to play via Wmp and also via the Media centre, but to no avail. I thought I would try you guys out there before going to Dell because I have had limited success with them before.
Many thanks in advance,
mcdhu

Keef
26th Dec 2006, 15:23
Been there, done that.

You are missing the decoders that resolve the DVD information so that it can be displayed.

They can be found on the 'net, but I had great difficulty finding them. The best solution in my case was to download and install PowerDVD, which went in easily and displays them fine.

mcdhu
26th Dec 2006, 17:55
Brilliant; found and downloaded Sonic/Roxio software which cost a few bucks (14) which at 2:1 seems a steal. It's probably available free somewhere, but I can't be ***** to search any further. Thanks Keef
Cheers,
mcdhu