PDA

View Full Version : Sydney to Hobart

Howard Hughes
26th Dec 2006, 11:26
Thought a few of you might be interested in this! (http://rolexsydneyhobart.com/yacht_tracker.asp?key=522)
You can track the Sydney to Hobart Yachts, even has a Google Earth overlay, simply amazing...:ok:

Loki
26th Dec 2006, 11:50
All that did was crash my PC

Capt.Grumpy
26th Dec 2006, 12:03
Link worked fine on mine

Foss
26th Dec 2006, 12:51
That's pretty cool, worked fine for me. I've got a lot of books on Sydney Hobart, looks like they'll be hitting the bad bit, what, tonight sometime?
it's 1250 gmt here.
Fos

Foss
26th Dec 2006, 13:06
http://rolexsydneyhobart.com/gallery_image_pop.asp?id=2797&year=0&photographerID=0&keyword=

'How many times have I told you, on TOP OF THE WATER, THE SURFACE.'
Fos :}

Howard Hughes
26th Dec 2006, 21:25
They should be rounding Gabo island and heading into Bass straight within the next 2 to 3 hours. It is interesting to note the position of Nokia, the 1999 winner and race record holder until last year when Wild Oats took the honour. Extremely hard work this year heading straight into a South Westerly for most of the journey....:ok:

Had a great afternoon out yesterday watching the boats from a local vantage point, note to self for next year get stronger binoculars!:E

PS: I have had no problems at this end, although the Google overlay seems to take a little longer to update than the official website.

Foss
26th Dec 2006, 22:06
I'd be a gibbering wreck on one of those big things.
'Slow down, please, let something loose, or put a couple of reefs in, anything. Please I have a family.'
Well you get the idea.

Nokia is shifting alright.

Fos

Howard Hughes
26th Dec 2006, 22:10
Nokia is shifting alright.
Well it did in 1999 anyway, maybe there as a guide only to the race record!;)

Whilst I suspect I would be a gibbering wreck too, it is certainly on my to do list, although I have nil ocean racing experience, but I do have some navigational skills and can open a mean can of beans....:E

Foss
26th Dec 2006, 23:37
It's cold and horrible, and your pencil keeps on falling off the navigation table. It's terrible. And you keep on falling out of your bunk. Trying to be taught how to take a sextant reading you're likely to take your eye out, well you couldn't see anything anyway, no loss.

Cooking on board a stripped down racing yacht in big seas.
1. Catch the onions, which are rolling everywhere.
2. Track down potatoes which are making a bid for freedom too.
Garlic - no. salt - no. Pepper - no.
3. Stand on the sausages in their bag to stop them getting away.

Look in the cutlery drawer and there's some spanners, screwdrivers and a set of Allen keys. And a can of WD 40.

Using your sail knife cut the stuff on the nav table because the real table has been left behind.
Cut, bit rolls on floor, cut, bit rolls on floor. Collect all the bits.
Fry it all and serve in a cup. Everyone produces a spoon from a pocket somewhere. Eats.
Crew: 'That's very nice.'
Crew: 'It's your watch now.'
'Cheers, thanks very much.' I don't like this, I want to go home.
Fos

allan907
27th Dec 2006, 01:29
If humans were meant to travel like this then they wouldn't have invented aeroplanes/airplanes/aircraft (select whichever is in vogue)

Foss Perhaps the caption to your piccy might be "Achtung! Sunderland. Dive, dive, dive!"

Oceanz
27th Dec 2006, 02:12
It didn't exactly dive, but it has pulled out of the race after losing its mast

PLovett
27th Dec 2006, 04:41
It didn't exactly dive, but it has pulled out of the race after losing its mast

Not surprising. When they hit water like that the rig wants to keep going at an undiminished rate while the hull is being slowed. The strain on the rigging is enormous. When they lose a mast its usually because something in the rigging has let go. :eek:

An owner of a maxi once likened losing a mast as to watching a Rolls Royce being pushed over the side still they say ocean racing can be simulated by standing fully dressed under a cold shower tearing up $100 notes by the fistful.:ok:

Lon More
27th Dec 2006, 07:22
Sailed once with a guy who'd crewed on the disastrous Fastnet (1978?) He was on one of the boats that went down, He said he'd just got off his bunk, the other guy hadn't yet got in (hot bunking) when the mast smashed into it, Frightening, prefer my sailing in a yachtsman's gale, max force 7

Oceanz
27th Dec 2006, 08:49
The wind is a powerful force. In 1979 I was doing a Durban/Cape Town passage on a 112ft 100 year old gaff rigged ketch and we had the mizzen flying backstay pull straight through an 18" beam of Swedish Oak - scared the sh*t out of us, especially the helmsman, who couldn't exactly leave his post. Of course the skipper was quite laconic ... "guess we have too much sail up".

Foss
27th Dec 2006, 11:14
On my very first trip out on a 33ft boat the race was cancelled halfway because of severe weather coming, so we'll put a slab in, get up a storm jib and head back.
Flipping main halyard jammed at the top of the mast. Couldn't get a slab in. This was getting dangerous. So we scandalized it. But the kevlar main split in a massive gust and then flogged itself into bits. Like kevlar for God's sake.
Skipper was really happy.
Fos

Chimbu chuckles
27th Dec 2006, 13:16
I did a bunch of Syd-Hob races starting in the 77 event and the last was the 84 event...both 'roughest on record' races...we were dismasted in the 84 event on the third day about 100nm off shore and retired to Sydney. We fell off the back of one too many waves the night before and that weakened the rig.

I used to love ocean racing...and I follow the race still as most years my brother is on it...he did 98 which was the one where 5 boats sank and 6 sailors died.

I like my sailing a little less extreme and a tad more comfortable these days:ok:

Still nothing like 60-80kt winds and 20-60' seas for an extended adrenaline rush...you can't beat racing a yacht period, let alone in bad weather for the sense of achievement and teamwork....and shared suffering:E

Foss
27th Dec 2006, 15:11
The best bit is coming back into harbour, standing at the mast looking handsome and action manlike, and like you know what you're doing being watched by pretty girls on the pier.
Then chat them up later in the club house. :E
'Oh yes, very rough, very dangerous, but we could cope, cause we're so good blah blah blah.'

Anybody else get what we call boat head. If you are out for maybe a week then berth, if you stand still indoors, you still sway, dizzy sort of, really annoying. And before you've had a drink.
Fos

G-CPTN
27th Dec 2006, 15:20
Anybody else get what we call boat head. If you are out for maybe a week then berth, if you stand still indoors, you still sway, dizzy sort of, really annoying. And before you've had a drink.
Fos
My first North Sea crossing (20 hours) through rolling winter seas left me thus for 36-48 hours after reaching terra firma. I was never affected again, despite similar rough crossings (I was desperately sea-sick on that first crossing, and would have willingly disembarqued onto a tiny island mid-way - had there been one).

green granite
27th Dec 2006, 16:39
As far as I can tell their route is dead into wind ( I can't get the wind thing to work on the link) that will make it a very wet trip.

Worst trip I ever did, we left Brighton at about 9pm heading for Ramsgate the other 2 turned in about 11pm and we went like a train with the rails on the water till we got to Dungeness. I hardened up a bit to head for Dover and we hit a hole with a hell of a crash, this woke the others up who came up on deck and shortened sail and we carried on going nowhere as the tide had turned against us, daylight came and we realised we were in some nasty weather, the seas were about 20ft and there were waterspouts out in the channel, the 6am shipping forecast said Dover NE 4 to 5 the Varne lightship (just off of Dover) was reporting NE 8 :ugh: We got round Dover in a hail storm and had to put the Iron sail on to head up to Ramsgate as we had to luff off the tops of the waves. One of the guys said look at that and there was this hovercraft just crawling past us doing about 10knts with all the passengers looking terrified most of them being sick as well. The calm of Ramsgate harbour was greatly appreciated I can tell you. (so was the pub later)

Blues&twos
27th Dec 2006, 20:52
Fos

Yep. relatively new to sailing (first stepped into a dinghy in 2003), but completely hooked within about ten seconds.Spent 2 weeks in Greece about 7 hours a day learning the ropes, and couldn't stop bobbing up and down even after several hours ashore. And just to make things worse, in the second week there was a pretty big earthquake - 6.4 on the Richter scale - and numerous aftershocks. Didn't know if I was coming or going. And if you ever want to feel completely insignificant, sit yourself in a Laser in the sea and feel the power of the aftershocks thumping through the hull. Scary stuff....

Foss
27th Dec 2006, 21:27
Important things to learn when learning race sailing.
Be on time, they won't wait.
Don't drop a fender in the marina.
Let off the stern line quickly when leaving, otherwise the boat stops abruptly.
Don't touch any buttons anywhere.
Don't make a dong noise by getting hit on the head with the boom.
If you're working keys, don't say eeny meeny miny mo outloud then pick one.
If you have stand against the boom, don't fall down the hatch.
If you're doing the start timer, pay a lot of attention to loud bangs.
Get a piece of nylon rope and bow line the coffee table legs a lot at home.
It gets better quickly, then later you get to borrow the boat.
Fos

Oceanz
27th Dec 2006, 21:55
Foss,

You forgot to add that the new chum provides the slabs & magnums

Lon More
27th Dec 2006, 22:39
Green Granite that can be a pretty rough area. Wind over tide, shallow and a bit of a choke point. Got off in Ramsgate once and came back to the Continent on the hovercraft, It was back in the days when they had a bar. It was a bit rough still and the dragons were holding on to stanchions etc. Stood at the bar, drinking my pint and reading the paper. It all seemed so smooth after 5 days on a yacht

G-CPTN
27th Dec 2006, 23:12
http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/other_sports/sailing/6209509.stm
Six sailors were injured after one of the race leaders Maximus was dismasted during the Sydney to Hobart yacht race.
Three crew members had to be airlifted to hospital in Canberra with chest, pelvic and back injuries.
Maximus had been vying for the lead in heavy seas with ABN Amro, which was also dismasted and had to retire.
In total, nine of the 78 yachts competing were forced out of the race, which is currently being led by defending champion Wild Oats XI.

Hawk
28th Dec 2006, 00:43
Congratulations to British yacht "Adventure" for their rescue of the crew of maxi "Koomooloo".

Freebairn praised the crew on Adventure for their assistance during the crew recovery. Adventure will not be penalised for assisting Ray White Koomooloo. When they reach Hobart they have the option of putting in a request for redress which will go to the International Jury to decide how much time to award.

http://rolexsydneyhobart.com/news.asp?key=2959
http://rolexsydneyhobart.com/news.asp?key=2964

Capt.Grumpy
28th Dec 2006, 01:27
Congratulations to British yacht "Adventure" for their rescue of the crew of maxi "Koomooloo".

I know this is probably nitpicking but "Koomooloo" is hardly a Maxi. She is/was a Kaufman 41 and at 12.5 metres is certainly not in the "maxi" category. :)

Pseudonymn
28th Dec 2006, 08:47
Koomooloo was a beautiful boat. I saw her several times on the water around the Harbour and Broken Bay. She was immaculate and a previous winner of the Sydney to Hobart in the sixties. It is a shame that she was lost, but at least none of her crew went with her.

Pseudonymn
28th Dec 2006, 11:05
Wild Oats XI has just finished. Total time - 02:08:50:49

Two in a row. Good on them.