PDA

View Full Version : Lion 734 severely dmgd @ WAAA

readywhenreaching
26th Dec 2006, 09:44
S:
http://www.jacdec.de/news/news.htm
DATE: 24.12.2006 LOCAL TIME: 08:35 LOCATION: Makassar-Intl AP (WAAA) / Sulawesi COUNTRY: Indonesia
AIRLINE: Lion Air TYPE: Boeing 737-4Y0 REGISTRATION: PK-LIJ C/N: 24682 AGE: 16 y + 9 m
OPERATION: DSP FLIGHT No.: JT 792 FROM: Jakarta TO: Tolotio VIA: Makassar
OCCUPANTS: PAX: 156 CREW: 6
FATALITIES: PAX: 0 CREW: 0 OTHER: 0
INJURIES: PAX: 0 CREW: 0 OTHER: 0
DAMAGE TO AIRCRAFT: substantial / damaged beyond repair
On landing runway 31 in fine weather, the aircraft ran beyond the end of the runway coming to rest about 100 m further. The entire landing gear was sheared off causing substantial damage to both engines and wings. The right stabilizer was also found damaged. There were no serious injuries among the 162 people on board. The aircraft remained closed for hours. According to local news reports, the left wing eventually contacted the runway on touchdown.
(Photo: Metro TV)
http://www.metrotvnews.com/data/berita/foto/30325.jpg

RoyHudd
27th Dec 2006, 00:26
Rubbish, DX Wombat, what a strange and naive perception of the dangers of Indonesian commercial aviation.

From experience, WAAA 31 has a tricky'ish left circle-to-land, esp in low vis and rain, but a long if bumpy runway. Missed approach is straight out over the water, for another attempt. A/C may have had tech problems, otherwise this looks like yet another balls-up of Lion, Manadala, and the other local jokers. The "safety" record for these airlines matches that of Cubana. Are IATA auditing this lot?:=

mini
29th Dec 2006, 21:32
Just wondering, how easy will it be for them to replace this aircraft at short notice? anyone know the general availability of 734s?

Human Cargo
31st Dec 2006, 13:34
After reading this post. It is evident that this poster tried but was ignored. So what more can i say.....The poster says it all!!!!!
Looking at picture of this incident in (Ujung Pangang) Makassar..i cannot help but recall the MD82 hull loss in Surabuya about 2 1/2 two and a half years ago. And though the senierio's were different the outcome is the same.
I was involved in the conversion training of the initial Lion MD 80 pilot group. One of my biggest concerns which i did voice on several times was the "bad habits" that were brought to the MD82. On several occasions i recommended remedial simulator training for a few individuals, but they were put with different "Indonesian" Training pilots and after one trip were signed off for the line. One of these pilots was the captain of the "Hull Loss" Aircraft in Surabuya.
Although I do not know the details. I have flown into 'Ujung" Many times and the high terrain that rises sharply 7 miles to the east of the field. The approach from the north is on a "STAR Arrival" and is really is "akin" to a "slam dunk on high right base", and with proper descent planning and airspeed management, the Aircraft can be fully configured in the landing configuration and slowed back to Vref +5 (or gust factor) just prior to "the abeam point of the airport.The Aircraft can land in the Touch down zone consistantly.
My "opinion" is some of these pilots have picked up bad habit's of relying on the FMS ("V Nav" for their decent planning) without cross check of the information ( this was a common episode on the MD82) and on this day they got too far behind and tried to save the approach instead of the prudent option of going around.
I am curious what Captain Lumbuun and Captain Adi Harrianto are going to do to fix this, because this problem have not gone away.
After the last Acident the then Aviation minister promised a "complete overhaul"of the system. I guess were still waiting for it.
"The more things change. The more they remain the same"
CB:ugh:

Marvo
31st Dec 2006, 16:29
Excellent posts from Roy Hudd and human cargo ! This is why I log on.... I have never flown into UPG but have worked out of the airfield and others in Indonesia as an aircraft engineer on several hadjj rotations. I was in Solo when the Garuda 73-4 came down in a thunderstorm. Now as an F/O for a lowco, I fully appreciate the difficulties of operating out of these type of airfields. Its interesting to note that Lion is the launch customer for the 737-900x (222 seater to rival the A321). I hope the problems are resolved before the new aircraft arrive.

Captnhappy
31st Dec 2006, 18:05
The following is an excerpt of an interview of the President Director
Pax Rusdi Kirana of Lion Airlines done by Flight international in Septemper
2006:-
Lion's growth has indeed been impressive, but its flightpath has not always been smooth. In November 2004 more than 20 people were killed in a crash on landing at Solo airport, while there have also been non-fatal runway overruns involving Lion aircraft over the years. The carrier also suffered an embarrassing incident last year when one of its aircraft landed at the wrong airport while on a domestic flight
The 2004 crash was devastating for Rusdi, who says he did not sleep for a week afterwards due to overwhelming guilt. He says the guilt eased after he was satisfied the crash was primarily due to airport problems that resulted in wet runway conditions, which caused the aircraft to hydroplane, although he quickly adds that many improvements were made internally.
However they still refuse to admit any culpability. And as such the same issues keep resurfacing regards hown many expats or how many Boeing Audits aer done. Indonesians Managers in relating to expats typically think in double and tripple thought patterns at the same time, i.e. They think of what they want to hear, what they think you want to hear and what their take on the reality of the actual situation is.
So as a result we will continue have these accidents and episodes.
Happy Landings
CB:D