PDA

View Full Version : Correct Stall Recovery

iamanaussiemavrick
25th Dec 2006, 10:13
What is the correct stall recovery technique? Is it releasing back pressure,controlling rotation with rudder, applying full power all with no time interval...or is it by first releasing the back pressure then stopping rotation and eventually applying full throttle which takes 2 to 3 seconds on stall...

Please tell me the advantages disadvantages and also any suggestions on stall recoveries..and about mastering them..

A student pilot...

tail wheel
25th Dec 2006, 10:42
Read here. (http://www.fcitraining.com/vid_clip9_incipient_spin.htm#stall_recovery)

control snatch
25th Dec 2006, 23:51
It does depend on aircraft type. But generically speaking:

To start with the wings can be unstalled without power or rudder.
The stick (or yoke) must be moved forward until the heavy buffet stops.

Note: Buffet characteristics will be markedly different between different types. And this may also correspond to lowering the attitude by a prescribed amount. (Noes not apply for a g-stall)

So stick movement is used to unstall the wings. The remaining actions are to minimise height loss, and may be applied simultaneously with the first action.

It sounds like you have been taught the correct technique, any differences are due probably to different aircraft types.

For example in some aircraft types applying rudder in the initial stall recovery is likely to lead to auto-rotation.

Chesty Morgan
26th Dec 2006, 00:12
Smash the stick all the way forward. Smash the throttle through the firewall. Push until the wind noise drowns out the screams from the passengers and pull up before you hit the ground. :ok:

iamanaussiemavrick
26th Dec 2006, 02:31
What are the wrong things that can peek in IN a stall recovery???

When we apply full throttle in after releasing the back pressure with a nose down attitude below the horizon,, we would be loosing altitude(as far as i know). Is that still the right technique.

Awol57
26th Dec 2006, 04:12
You are going to lose altitude either way, though the power will minimise the loss of height.

As to the nose attitude, in a C152 you need only lower the nose to the straight and level attitude to recover (maybe a touch under, certainly not a significant amount of nose down). The idea of the power is to minimise altitude loss.

ScottyDoo
26th Dec 2006, 04:59
Shouldn't you ask your instructor these questions???

Sonny Hammond
26th Dec 2006, 06:47
Avoidance.

BOK_
26th Dec 2006, 07:08
The best way to recover from a stall is to not think what comes first and what should I do after I've done this and that, in the heat of the moment you'll want it to be a natural reaction to an event like this.

When you are learning the stall recovery, its good to have a sequence of steps to know so you can practice it (i.e -> sitting in your chair at home) but after a while it does become a continous flow of events that all happen simultaneously.

So what I do for the stall recovery is simultaneously do these things:

Lower nose immediately
increase power
stop yaw (if any) with rudder only and hold until yaw has stopped

now when the airspeed increases to a suitable speed above the stall speed, you can level the wings and ease out of the resultant dive.

Remember - all one movement....it comes with practice so be patient.

BOK

rmcdonal
26th Dec 2006, 07:22
Push the clutch in. :}

Bfpplbp
26th Dec 2006, 07:52
Hi all

BOK your on the money mate, along with Tail wheel's link provides the basis of any good stall recovery in modern training aircraft. May i add greater emphisis on the speeds of recovery ie, climbing out at Vy leaving a comfortable trade off between height loss and attaining FLYING airspeed.

Cheers
Bp

Aynayda Pizaqvick
26th Dec 2006, 12:51
One difference between my civilian flying and what I have since been taught in the military is the use of rudder. My civilian instructors always taught to level the wings with rudder to correct any wing-drop in a stall. My military QFIs taught to only correct a wing-drop with aileron once the wing is unstalled, thus;
Ease the control column forward far enough to unstall the wings
Simultaneously apply (up to) full power
Once in an unstalled condition, level wings with AILERON
Gradually ease the aircraft out of the dive.
Having used both techniques, I personally feel much happier using the later as it avoids using large amounts of rudder while the aircraft is at, or close to, a stalled condition. However having just read the RAF Manual of Flying Training, it advises checking the aircraft manual for the recommended technique to level the wings - might be worth having a read of the copy at your flying school:ok:

Sunfish
26th Dec 2006, 21:07
Aussiemavrick.

Point One: If your aircraft is trimmed correctly for level flight, and it is loaded correctly with the CG inside the envelope, then if it is a Cessna or Piper single, all you have to do is release the backpressure you do not need to "push" the yoke forward (maybe just help it a little in some loading situations, but I haven't found it necessary). "Pushing" the yoke forward will, apart from alarming your instructor, give you more nose down than you actually need and result in a larger altitude loss than necessary.

When you try this again with an instructor, notice that to get the aircraft to stall at all, assuming it is trimmed and loaded correcty, you really need to haul that yoke backwards - notice that pressure!

If you ever find yourself applying that much pressure in any phase of flight, at any speed, assuming you are trimmed and loaded correctly, then you are near the stall.

Zhaadum
27th Dec 2006, 14:04
How about an inverted stall? Think about it... you have completed a half loop and pushed forward to maintain inverted S&L prior to rolling upright and you get stall buffet, or even an incipient inverted spin.....

Or an unusual attitude such as completely vertical as in a stall turn/hammerhead but too slow (not actually stalled but almost zero airspeed) & no energy left... recovery actions?

Stalls can be more than the simple erect and slow deceleration with idle power variety....

Z.:ok:

AerocatS2A
28th Dec 2006, 00:29
How about an inverted stall? Think about it... you have completed a half loop and pushed forward to maintain inverted S&L prior to rolling upright and you get stall buffet, or even an incipient inverted spin.....
Same as a normal stall except you release the forward pressure rather than the back pressure. Then you roll upright. Inverted spins, just do what comes naturally, release the forward pressure and apply opposite rudder. I know some people seem to think that the rudder direction is confusing, but I think that's from over thinking things.

If you don't want to spin inverted in the first place then hold the stick all the way back at the incipient stage. The aircraft I've flown will settle into an upright spin regardless of the initial attitude. You can then recover from the normal spin which may be more familiar than an inverted spin.

Or an unusual attitude such as completely vertical as in a stall turn/hammerhead but too slow (not actually stalled but almost zero airspeed) & no energy left... recovery actions?
Provided you have power on you can just give it some rudder and recover with a stall turn, or you could use elevator. If you're not getting any power or you've already started tail sliding then just hold the stick back, hang on tight, wait for the nose to drop, recover from the resultant dive, and try (whatever you were trying) again. Or, in my case, I had to set up for a dead stick landing because I was in a Tiger Moth and the cocked up stall turn starved the engine of fuel, the prop stopped, and I didn't have the altitude to try for an air start.

john_tullamarine
28th Dec 2006, 05:42
You might like to run a search on "John Farley" and "stall" in Tech Log ... there have been a number of discussions on stalling with a variety of competent comments from various folk ... John's comments, in particular, make for interesting reading .. especially in those discussions which get into the use of rudder.

FYI, the suggested search returned 13 threads for me ...