PDA

View Full Version : Department Store Pecking Order

allan907
25th Dec 2006, 01:00
On opening the pressies in bed this morning (perfume for the GF) I related the tale of my experiences with the sales lady at the perfume counter of the department store.

She was of indeterminate age (anywhere between late 20s and early 40s) with make up, which consisted of every product sold on her counter, plastered on an inch thick all topped off with, even in this land of sunshine, a fake tan that that antiques bloke in the UK would have been proud of. As a mere male I was treated with an indifference and condescension that would have outpointed Pru out of Kath and Kim.

Anyway, the conversation with the GF moved to wondering just what the pecking order was amongst department store sales staff. Is the cosmetics counter the top spot? Is mens underwear the bottom (pun intended)? Where does one get put when one has not measured up?

Just what is the pecking order????

I'll come back to this once I've done my 8 hour shift on the bush fire!

Rollingthunder
25th Dec 2006, 01:15
First sign of stroppy staff and I'm off somewhere else.

I feel for you with the fires.

Pop down to the Bombardier department store and pick up a couple of CL-415s. Given a close wide river or any lake and they do a marvellous job.

Oceanz
25th Dec 2006, 02:19
Captain Peacock insists that being a floor walker is top of the pile, though Mrs Slocombe disputes this.

Wx showing clouds building, so little chance of a fire callout here

Farmer 1
25th Dec 2006, 07:42
And she is unanimous in that!

Takan Inchovit
25th Dec 2006, 08:36
Shoes are most likely the lowest. Hats the highest.

Grainger
25th Dec 2006, 09:53
Nah - Umbrellas beat hats.

Merry Christmas !

click
25th Dec 2006, 12:58
Used to work for one of the oldest North American companies in retail, stuffing stores with freight. Our stores didn't have too much of a pecking order, the people just did what they were good at most of the time with a few floaters in case of sickness. The floaters were lowest on the pecking order but managed to make more money because of the flexibility. Security was outsourced so there was no connection there. The make up counter was one exception, either staffed with company reps for the various whale puke products or staffed with commissioned sales temps from outside.

2 sheds
25th Dec 2006, 13:07
...and no mention yet of Mrs Slocombe's cat?

Farmer 1
25th Dec 2006, 13:13
Shirley, the bargain basement's the lowest?

mooguy
27th Dec 2006, 12:08
Yep, I remember my step mother telling me when she worked in the cosmetics department section of a very upscale Dublin Store, the snootiness involved........these ladies are very up themslelves, quite superior given their salary is all commisioned based, they do indeed take themselves very seriously! she said it was very bitchy. sounds a bit like being a flight attendant..........................:8