PDA

View Full Version : Public Hols and Overtime

judge11
24th Dec 2006, 17:19
I've just listened to a news report concerning the stoppage (strike) in one of the UK's railway companies. The dispute is over holiday/overtime payments over the Christmas hols. Why has the airline industry, specifically for flight and cabin crew, never seen fit to pay the generally excepted (in general industry and commerce) enhanced payment for weekend/bank holiday work? For those of us not on jet salaries and who have to scrub along at the lower reaches of the industry, please don't suggest it is covered in our less than huge remuneration? What's 'the history'.

flaps to 60
24th Dec 2006, 17:33
Judge

Its simple you enter this career knowing that its a 24/7 365 operation plus generally there are always more than enough people to fill the positions.

This generally means when they ask you to sign the contract with the policies clearly stated if you disagree with them there is a que of people to sign instead.

Merry Christmas

JW411
24th Dec 2006, 17:46
Every company that I have ever worked for paid extra allowances for flights over Christmas and New Year. In fact, a lot of people used to volunteer for these flights - it all depends on your lifestyle.
As it so happens, I had an email from a mate a few days ago who is going to have to spend Christmas in the Caribbean with some 15 lovely young ladies and he wasn't exactly complaining!

lexxity
24th Dec 2006, 18:43
We get paid a premium for weekend and bank holidays, I thought that was standard.:confused:

spannersatcx
24th Dec 2006, 19:57
I thought the strike was not about xmas and new years day, but they wanted x2 for working xmas and new years eve!!:eek:

We get 2x for working xmas day, introduced a couple of years ago.

green granite
24th Dec 2006, 20:12
In the service industry the norm is double time + a day off in lieu, for bank holidays. If it fell on a roistered day off either a day off in lieu or double pay