View Full Version : Do your contractual homework

galdian
24th Dec 2006, 03:46
Hi all
Just a reminder - in todays market it is very unlikely only one contract agency will have sole agency in an airline so make sure you do your homework and get the best contract T&C you can.

As an example one asian airline has 3 contract agencies, two have contract T&C that are pretty much the same, the third pays USD 1,000 less per month with less days off but maye the worst aspect is the contract has no escape clause - none at all so you are locked into the contract and this particular company is noted for chasing you legally should you try to leave.
The other 2 contracts have the pretty standard 3 months notice.

Unfortunate position for anyone to be in so make sure you do your research before signing on the dotted line.

maui
24th Dec 2006, 04:36
Galdian
Would that be IAC Pacific you are referring to.

They have a bad history of shonky dealing. Took them to court a few years ago and they were found to have witheld monies without lawful excuse. Theft in my opinion. Many other claims settled out of court.

Be careful out there, people.

Maui

galdian
24th Dec 2006, 08:09
Maui
No not IAC Pacific - the "lesser" contract agency is from the land of Uncle Sam, indeed has headline banners at various times on Pprune.

In all fairness I am talking only about the one particular contract I know about from this agency - it is possible they offer other contracts that could only make one drool over the amazingly superior T&C's, however as something of a cynic I would be inclined to think not.

As a sideline when I was looking at new contract work I was satisfied with the attitude of a relative of IAC Pacific (IAC Global) as well as a rather-well-known Irish mob, the thing that really made me laugh (puzzled, that is) was when I decided not to go "Irish" (no real reason, pretty much a toss of the coin position) the comment came back from the gentleman representative that he was "surprised I had chosen not to use a superior agency!"

To this day I do not know if he was being throw-away humourous or superior and arrogant.

Bottom line all - do your homework, get the best T&C you can for your trials and tribulations; IMHO finding a representative you feel comfortable with should also be a significant factor in any decision, maybe not so important for others.