PDA

View Full Version : Pilot job at Copa

ForzaLazio
23rd Dec 2006, 08:37
Hello everybody,

can anyone please tell me if Copa is hiring pilots from the States or with a European passport? If so, what are their minimums? I really appreciate any inputs.

csp(ex-cmx)
23rd Dec 2006, 15:59
Hi, I think there is no problem with the passport issue, about experience they are hiring now just captains with airline time, just guessing about 3000 hrs PIC. You have to relocate to Panama. Send your CV to [email protected].
I am going to an interview next 27th, so I can tell more after that.

Amin
23rd Dec 2006, 17:20
Hi,

Sorry, to change the subject!!
Does anyone know if TACA Peru, or TACA airline is hiring. I could not find anything on their website. I have heard that they are very interested in pilots with FAA ATP lincense, because of their airplanes are N registered. And also if they hire expats? and requirments for a FO?

Merry Christmas,

Amin

Fulkrum
27th Dec 2006, 14:55
Did not hear a thing, even called them and nothing, wouldn't even talk to me because I'm not panamanian, although I speak spanish and meet their minimums don't know exactly what they're looking for, I hope you have better luck. Keep us posted.

camprax
27th Dec 2006, 21:49
Well let us know about the interview....what nationality are you?
regards for 2007

jumpdrive
31st Dec 2006, 20:28
does any one know the pay scale for EMB190 & B737 skippers?

bye

happy new year to all

Panama Jack
3rd Jan 2007, 12:49
Found an ad for COPA Airlines, published on Dec 26, 2006:

Copa Airlines http://www.volarenvenezuela.com/vev/fotos/generales/copalogo.gif

SOLICITA

Para trabajar en PANAMA

Capitán

5,000 horas de vuelo

1,000 horas-PIC en avión de turbo reactor

Certificado medico vigente de Primera Clase

Dominio del idioma inglés

Demostrar proeficiencia del equipo que esta volando

Interesados por favor enviar su curriculum vitae actualizado a través de nuestra página de internet: www.copaair.com, dentro de la sección Recursos Humanos y seguir las instrucciones del sistema. (Dentro del sistema debe seleccionar la posición específica a la que desea aplicar. Tambien enviar sus resumes al email [email protected] y colocar la posición Piloto en la sección de asunto del email.

KRUGERFLAP
31st Jan 2007, 21:56
View Job Postings Job Description Job Title: Co-Piloto Location: Aeropuerto - Oficina Central Referencia: 000283 Qualifications - Mínimo 250 horas de Vuelo
- Licencia vigente de piloto comercial multimotor e instrumento
- Certificado médico de 1ra clase
- Dominio del Idioma Inglés Responsibilities ANTES DEL VUELO

Coopera con el comandante al mando en la preparación del Plan Operacional de Vuelo, Plan de Vuelo ATC y otra documentación previa al vuelo.
En ausencia de personal de tierra o de un mecánico de abordo, supervisa las actividades de pre-vuelo relacionadas con abastecimiento de combustible y distribución de carga en la aeronave, prepara la documentación de peso y centrado.
Coopera con el comandante al mando en la inspección de pre-vuelo o realizarla, si éste así lo dispone.

DURANTE EL VUELO

Participa activamente en los procedimientos de la cabina de control, verificación por lista, de emergencia y de aproximación instrumental, siguiendo las instrucciones del comandante al mando y los procedimientos establecidos.
Ayuda al piloto al mando en la dirección del vuelo y en el pilotaje del avión, siguiendo las instrucciones que éste le indique.
Mantener comunicación aire - tierra durante el desarrollo del vuelo, las que deberá realizar dando cumplimiento a las instrucciones del comandante al mando, los procedimientos establecidos para las comunicaciones y las disposiciones vigentes relacionadas.
Excepto que el comandante al mando disponga lo contrario, el copiloto será responsable ante éste de dirigir la navegación de la aeronave, utilizando todo los procedimientos y técnicas establecidos en los manuales correspondientes.
Mantiene informado al comandante al mando del avance del vuelo, dándole toda la información adicional que éste requiera.
Controla el consumo de combustible y saldo en tanque; calcula la autonomía remanente cada vez que corresponda.
Informa al ATC de la posición de la aeronave.
En caso necesario asume las funciones del comandante al mando; de acuerdo a lo dispuesto en el párrafo 4.1.4.2 del Manual de Operaciones.

theopalmer
3rd Feb 2007, 16:01
english ?

?

Panama Jack
3rd Feb 2007, 16:04
These are direct quotes from certain sources. If you are interested in the vacancies, please keep in mind that Spanish fluency is also required.

rasec
13th Feb 2007, 02:27
does anyone know the upgrade time for copa??

ForzaLazio
14th Feb 2007, 14:02
was anyone able to access copa's website to apply for the co-pilot position? i tried and it gets stuck to one page after i click to start the application....

airbusenzo
13th Mar 2007, 07:23
Hi gents...I flew as an A320 F/O with TACA El Salvador for around 5 years...Unfortunately if you're not either a citizen of El Salvador, Honduras, Nicaragua, Guatemala or Peru your chances of getting hired are close no nil..My suggestion is for those out there able to slug it out and get some Jet time (even in regional airlines), then with some experience under your belt you can look for good paying jobs in either the middle east ( were I have a lot of mates doing well) or in Asia..Thats were the future lies for those coming up in the ranks...Again you can try applying to this South or Central American Airlines but I'd say you will be wasting your time...Anyway Good luck to all!!!

allatp
15th Mar 2007, 02:57
Airbusenzo,
What nationality do you have? Are you currently flying in Australia?
How come you left TACA? I would like to know in order to exchange points of view in the matter.
Cheers!!
AA

PIPE RIDER
17th Mar 2007, 15:44
MR. ALLATP, I think you are a complete ignorant about TACA and it's subsidiaries, people leave them on a daily basis.

TACA stands for training airlines of central america, meaning salary and overall treatment is lousy, so build time and get the hell outhathere....

Or if you expect when you reach your retirement age living on wellfare or your family contribution............

Pro-Line 21
20th Mar 2007, 17:06
Does anybody know if Copa Airlines is hiring and what are their requirements? Did anybody that met with them heard back?

carluman
27th Mar 2007, 05:05
If you are from El salvador and live in the states how do you go about getting a job with Taca. Any one know the min hrs.

Panama Jack
27th Mar 2007, 05:35
TACA seems to have an online employment application website. It is pretty much disfunctional:

http://www.taca.com/images/sid/sid-tacafam.gifhttp://empleos.taca.com/

Other than that, as a Salvadoran you should apply at the TACA office in El Salvador.

The number for the administrative offices of TACA in San Salvador is +503-2667-8888. I don't know how it is in El Salvador specifically, but I find that in much of Central America, a company may be desperate for pilots but will make it fairly difficult for you to contact them by keeping contacts a mystery, including a cool reception or being totally unapproachable, etc. I think it is part of a misguided master/slave mentality. Treat them mean, keep them keen. :hmm:

jumpdrive
27th Mar 2007, 05:58
any info on........................COPA
not TACA, not to be rude........or that info is not helpfull
but its COPA were targeting here info about
c ya

airbusenzo
27th Mar 2007, 06:03
I never mentioned or hinted anything about Australia so how you came about this conclusion makes me wonder who you are?

piloto737NG
27th Mar 2007, 07:36
AS far i know copa is not hiring expat FO"s just ask about how many very seniors capt have been quit from copa and why.

jumpdrive
27th Mar 2007, 07:43
who & how im gonna ask any of the sr capt that have left?
i dont know them?............. he he
you seem to know the reasons?
i guess salary one, is the company not in good shape???
do they treat people ok there???
have many friends in india , & there is a lot of ex Copa
in JetAirways (737) & now Paramount for the 19O
:ok:

Panama Jack
27th Mar 2007, 13:12
Yes jumpdrive, you are being rude (and I am being cranky). In Central America, there are two major airlines and talking about one normally gets the other involved. Both are not fantastic. Somebody asks a question, some of us try to provide an answer. That is what this forum is about.

Talked with an ex-COPA FO the other day. Pay for FO's is $1500/mo, Captains make $3000. They treat guys like maids. :ouch:

Grupo TACA guys make out better as far as salary, but the labor/management relationship similarly spotty historically. However, and only speaking for myself, I would rather live in Panama City than San Salvador.

piloto737NG
28th Mar 2007, 07:09
Ok Friend:
If you want an upgrade for free and then walk away from Copa, is your future, the pilots are very professionals and the cockpit enviroment is very good. but remember you have to pay for uniforms, fly bags, sometimes yours meals, 6 days flying per week one day off, and they call you on ur off day, lots off lay overs and you have to pay for ur meals for example LA hotels 20.00 a breakfast and they give u 6.50 usd very good for a beginner. plus........%#@$ then go there.:ugh: :sad: :confused: . and a FO's salary is 1500.00 usd before taxes... 30% deduction, and over 63 hrs overtime that you have to paid taxex again maybe you get home paid flying 90 hrs 1300.00. dont worry they would treat you very well thats why i am in india.:D

PTY_girl
9th Apr 2007, 16:58
Hang on!
Just before leaving PTY, I heard that you guys were going to have an upgrade of salary as well as us in SOCC had (not much, but there u go...) of about $300 to make it $1,800...what happened to that?
Saludos!

md-100
9th Apr 2007, 23:12
and what about LAN... is it true that they treat you like a slave???

Panama Jack
10th Apr 2007, 07:52
I have a friend at LAN Peru and he says "yes, they do." Seems like there are no shortage of examples of working conditions like this throughout Latin America.

leondelfierro
16th Apr 2007, 19:03
Check this out, http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3sj7ktF5HQg i guess it will help you to get a LAN pilot point of view... you'll need to read in spanish anyway.. its funny...anyway i hope to join LAN some day...

jumpdrive
19th Apr 2007, 13:44
no salary rise in the near future?

allatp
30th Apr 2007, 23:41
Airbusenzo, don´t freak out!!
I was asking about AUS since that´s your location. I was just wondering if you were flying there, and how you were doing. That´s all!!
AA

NG_Kaptain
1st May 2007, 18:00
Try Etihad. Pilots from Aerolineas Argentinas, LAN, TACA, Varig etc working there.

7Q Off
2nd May 2007, 03:41
Money Talks

jumpdrive
6th May 2007, 21:31
Copa is know looking for F/o's......
1 class is supposed to start late may
dont know which type
& for skippers in june or july
again not sure which type
many planes coming this year
once i talk to my contacts ill come back

allatp
10th May 2007, 16:55
I heard that COPA is paying somewhere around US$ 2,500 to FOs. Could that be true?
There is also information that COPA pays for the first year of housing for all expats.
Please shed some light on it!!!!!!!!!!!!

Thanks,

AA

jumpdrive
11th May 2007, 13:56
as far as i know the basic is ........................hang on
$1,5OO
plus some $8OO in housing, maybe that will go, not sure
& other stuff that they give you roughly makes 3 grand
well theyre not grand theyre actually small
anyway..................on that take out..........some
26% or who knows how much in TAX
so even the housing money becomes like $56O
again...........im not sure of the accuracy of this

Clipper744
13th May 2007, 00:58
Airbusenzo,

Greetings from the Americas!

Your profile--listed on the left of the web page shows that your join date is JAN 2006, YOUR location is Sydney (i.e. a city in Australia--refer to jepps for further reference) and your age is 32...

TACA was a great place to work prior to 1985... when I was flying for Pan AM in the 70's we always ran into the TACA pilots in GUA and I believe they were part of ALPA and based in New Orleans making $6,000 per month as 737 Captains. Not sure how things good have gone below that since 1985, but such is live...

tranquillo amigo and fly safe!!!

warmest regards,

Clipper744

allatp
14th May 2007, 18:55
Jumpdrive, thanks for the info!!

Anybody else with more info about Copa's FO payscale?

Thanks!!

AA

jumpdrive
15th May 2007, 13:32
confirmed
starts
17th MAY
mostly Venezuelan pilots
Skipper's course think its next month

godspeed

Beeraz
18th May 2007, 01:17
AirbusEnzo:
I guess he saw your location.

jumpdrive
22nd May 2007, 17:16
for those of you thinking of a pilot job here
think it twice, well here your update
incoming foreign pilots once landed are not received by anybody
youll have to find your way out by yourself
lucky you if you see the guy who drives the van to pick you up
if he was notified,...............then................................ ....
hang on.............ok
youll be sleeping (................if you can) in a double bedroom
with another pilot............!!!!!:mad:
for the entire ground school, by the way is 6 weeks
no refrigerator, no closset, ................get the picture
sound's good enough!!!!!!!!!!!!!
youll have to pay your meals during all this time
no laundry included
the only thing is that you have internet, but no WiFi
so you will have to tose the coin to see who gets to chat the 2 first hours
with the family &/or wife
the hotel isnt the marriot or the hilton
its a road hotel like the red roof inn in U.S.A.

my friends, all of this for $1500 basic salary................:{
humm, depending on each case or necesity..............well
in panama an engineer makes less than $1000 so
evryone else is below that mark
you on the other hand with $1500 as f/o will be located
in a good place in the social scale
panama also is not that splendor youll see in the brochure or internet
7 or 8 main roads and almost all the time collapsed with stupid traffic
because no one whants to pay the dollar and a half to get into what they call
the corridor..........which is only what .................?
not more in any sector than 15 Km's...............give me a break:yuk:

if you already did or are in the process of making
the joke of selection process................
please give yourslef the pleasure to ask EVRYTHING to those nerds

ohh and by the way, youll have to pay for your uniforms!!!!
cause the union of loser's pilot's they have there accepted money in
the salary instead of a uniform every year...........
even the stripes & wings youll have to buy.........
well done union....................:D

so dont be fooled by brand new NG's & 19O's.............its almost all
B.S.

godspeed

Panama Jack
22nd May 2007, 22:04
And yet:

Copa Airlines named to list of “Best Employers in Latin America” for second time
Wednesday, October 25, 2006

Copa Airlines has been named for the second time as one of the 10 Best Employers in Latin America by the prestigious business magazine AméricaEconomía. The airline also was named to the list in 2004

The magazine conducts the survey in conjunction with Hewitt Associates, a global human resources consultant with headquarters in Chicago. The survey evaluates several factors related to the work environment, including the effectiveness of human resource programs, corporate governance, employee orientation, communication, compensation, leadership and benefits.

“We are committed to maintaining a highly motivated and trained work force and providing a pleasant, stimulating work environment,” said Alexander Gianareas, Senior Director of Human Resources, Copa Airlines. “This regional recognition by international experts is a validation of that commitment, which makes it possible for us to have world-class coworkers.”

AméricaEconomía, the leading business magazine in Latin America, began publishing in 1986. The magazine has editorial offices in Santiago, Buenos Aires, Mexico, São Paulo and Miami, as well as a network of correspondents in major world markets.

Doesn't say much about the employment situation in Latin America. :sad:

jumpdrive
24th May 2007, 02:01
has to be another planet
.....................or galaxy
cause this one..........:yuk:

theopalmer
10th Nov 2007, 03:10
any updates ??

Wish4rs6
17th Nov 2007, 00:45
got a call today from Copa for an interview later this month.. I am American and living in Guatemala and have residency here in Guatemala.. I sent my resume to their HR dept and today was called for an interview. We'll see how it goes and I will give everybody the lowdown on what is said and offered.

Godspeed!

theopalmer
17th Nov 2007, 11:46
what were your times ?

Wish4rs6
17th Nov 2007, 13:02
Right now I'm at about 1200 Total.. About 700 ME. about 200 Instrument. I am also typed in Cessna 500 series aircraft as well as NA265's (Sabreliner).

FEDENO
17th Nov 2007, 13:23
They will pay for you to go there to the interview?

Wish4rs6
17th Nov 2007, 13:27
Im actually interviewing here in Guatemala. Apparently they are holding interviews here.

charlye
15th Feb 2008, 17:58
:E hola como estan !! saben quisiera tener un poco mas de informacion acerca de como poder aplicar para co-piloto... les agradecere mucho !!!! gracias.

Manuel52
22nd Apr 2008, 01:07
Well good luck buddy best of luck and hope everything goes great! Let us know how it went after. Thanks

Almendrudo
21st Oct 2009, 00:41
What´s up these days in Panama?
Are they still hiring or planning to?

CaptW5
21st Oct 2009, 20:54
http://www.pprune.org/caribbean-latin-america/388983-copa-rumour.html