PDA

View Full Version : Type Rating A320 or B737 USA

emergencybus
23rd Dec 2006, 01:39
Hi Guys, I'm considering doing a TR as above in the USA in 2007 and looking for recomendations or otherwise, Have you done a TR in the USA recently?\
thanks.

Dubya
23rd Dec 2006, 02:06
Why do you need to do a TR? Do you have a job lined up, or are you setting yourself up for a $30k debt for a rubber stamp worth nothing?

emergencybus
23rd Dec 2006, 04:42
Dubya, are you familar with the term "RTFQ"

farrari
23rd Dec 2006, 05:32
I am doing an type rating with Altreon in Singapore have paid my money and they tell me I can not have any study material sent to me here in australia as it is interllectual property and company policy. Would any one who has done a :( type rating with Altreon here or any where else tell me if this is correct

emergencybus
23rd Dec 2006, 05:41
Hi Farrari, The couple of training org that i have contacted will send you the books after payment of a deposit and sujjest you do a couple of weeks pre study.
regards

Capt. Crocodile
23rd Dec 2006, 13:13
Emergencybus, to do the type rating in the U.S you will also need to do the CPL theory test in most cases. Get the Gleim 2007 CPL book, it has all the questions in the FAA exam. Also when you are checking out flying organisations make sure that the Type Rating test is done in a Level D simuator, if the test is done in Level C simulator you will have a restriction on your licence and you will need to actually do time on type to get the restriction removed. Presumably you also want the TR put on your Oz licence and this is another reason why you don't want a restricion on your FAA licence, CASA may not recognise the TR if you do the test on Level C simulator and have a restriction. You're probably looking at about $11k U.S for the rating + accommodation.
TR in the U.S means you also have to pay $130 U.S for a TSA clearance + you have to pay to provide them with your fingerprints once you get there. They say TSA clearance takes about 30 days but mine took 2. Good luck if you go ahead with it.

--

Farrari, I'm surprised at what Alteon has told you. There's a good 100 hours correspondence study for A320 to know the aircraft inside out. Looks like you guys will be spending a lot of time in class if they're not sending you any study material. Most organisations send you study material once enrolled so you know what's going on and don't waste time in class.

farrari
23rd Dec 2006, 22:01
Capt Croc,
Yes i agree however it is what they tell me.
If any one has a 777 manual or CBT disk please contact me .Thanks;)

Dubya
24th Dec 2006, 03:17
Yes, I have a B777 manual and CBT, and an FMC.... what's it worth?

farrari
24th Dec 2006, 06:50
Hi Dubya,

Send me a private message as I am interested in talking to you re. these.

Thanks.

farrari
26th Dec 2006, 04:27
Dubya, check you PMs

distracted cockroach
27th Dec 2006, 07:05
FWIW you can do an A320 TR with Air NZ in Auckland. I believe someone from Aussie has just finished one there. Hell of a lot less paperwork than going to the US.

RYAN TCAD
27th Dec 2006, 07:33
But what about cost?

Bo!

DeltaSix
29th Dec 2006, 02:24
Go to Florida, USA. A320 TR is only 12,000 USD. A lot cheaper than Alteon in Brizzy.
Ansett Flight simulators in Melbourne is doing B737-400 TR for 20-23k. You need to do upgrade course though if you will be flying the 738s.
In the US, 7k for a B737 TR.
Good luck
Look for the company Sim Centre - FAA ATP with TR