PDA

View Full Version : Calling Aircrew on Days Off

Mr Angry from Purley
22nd Dec 2006, 20:37
Interesting reply from the CAA in this months "CHIRP" to a moaning Nigel about receiving calls on days off.
The reply from the CAA was its fine, as long as it does not impinge on pre flight rest, or any industrial agreements.
Old old chestnut put to rest! :\

leisurelad
22nd Dec 2006, 21:16
MR ANGRY:

I hate having to call crew on days off but to keep an operation going, sometimes you have no choice. If they do answer, will allways apologise first for disturbing them and ask if they are ok to talk, if all ok, will then ask whatever i need to ask.

Not a nice thing to do, especially if your on your days off but hey, some crew like to work days off as we repay the favours for them helping us, so can work both ways.

Just my little bit and im glad we dont have anything set in stone regards to the above. From a crewing side, unions can make things worse for everyone as i believe it can work well for both parties.

Brian Fantana
22nd Dec 2006, 21:33
These days with caller id on land lines and mobiles if the crew member conciders himself/herself too important to be called on a d/o they do not have to answer the phone.
I personally do not have a problem with being called on a d/o, I have been on both sides. When trying to sort out a disrupted flying programme, you tend to know which crew members will help out.
I now enjoy the d/o payment at the end of the month:D

bboo
22nd Dec 2006, 22:58
These days with caller id on land lines and mobiles if the crew member conciders himself/herself too important to be called on a d/o they do not have to answer the phone.
I personally do not have a problem with being called on a d/o, I have been on both sides. When trying to sort out a disrupted flying programme, you tend to know which crew members will help out.
I now enjoy the d/o payment at the end of the month:D
Good for you...
Do you have any decent family life ?

Brian Fantana
23rd Dec 2006, 10:52
bboo

Yes I do thanks.
Like I said you do not have to answer the phone, sometimes I do sometimes I dont. But why should I be offended and annoyed if work call me on a d/o. If I have something planned on my d/o I can politely decline the duty, if I have nothing planned and feel like doing the duty then thats my choice, and to be fair getting called on d/o very rarely happens, maybe thats why I'm chilled out about it.

Art E. Fischler-Reisen
23rd Dec 2006, 11:26
OK sometimes but it really depends on the nature of the call. If it's simply a call to ask if the incumbent can accept a roster change and an extra duty, no real problem if there is a chance to decline it without comeback.

However, in my previous employment, such a call usually meant I was being TOLD that a change HAD been made, no question of declining it. I was often called three or four times on days off, to discuss programme details for a few days hence, or landing site details etc. I often had to tell the caller that no, I hadn't received the emailed details and no, I couldn't just get to my computer as I wasn't even at home! Seemed they expected me to sit at home, thinking of nothing but the job, 24/7.

BTW, in that place, there was usually no compensation for loss of a day off.

I'm so glad to be out of that place! :(

towser
23rd Dec 2006, 19:29
Nobody else ever phones me so I don't mind.;)