View Full Version : Aircraft Emission study

Brian304
22nd Dec 2006, 12:28
Dear all

I know this may not have much to do with aircraft testing, but here goes, I am currently writing a dissertation on "Global warming and Aircraft emissions", would just wonder if anyone has any information or any links that I can use towards the work? such as engine emission rates, fumes, case studies, performance rates, e.t.c.

Thanks

and have a Merry Xmas and Happy New Year everyone..

Brian304:ok:

George Foreman
25th Dec 2006, 21:48
I have nothing to hand, but I once contacted OPEC via their website and they were able to tell me the principal uses of crude oil (once refined, or split obviously) by sector. Not surprisingly the humble motor car represented most demand, followed by petrochemicals, power stations (for electricity) and paints and such. Shipping was a significant user, and aviation came way down the list with a low single figures percentage.

Aviation is a fast growing sector (which is what the politicians always say), but it doesn't use all that much gas, relative to other forms of transport and other major uses of crude oil. I don't feel we get a fair press in the UK at the moment, and I'd appreciate an update on those numbers when you get them from an official source.

Otherwise water vapour is a big greenhouse gas, and it is a by-product of combustion which we leave as contrails in the sky. I'm told it is more significant than the CO2.

Would be v. interested if you could post your findings here for comment, I'm sure many would appreciate that.

Good Luck, sounds interesting (alas I have nothing to hand, but it is all out there either on the web (be careful as to accuracy/authenticity) or with organisations such as OPEC, UN, ICAO etc..

George

Milt
25th Dec 2006, 22:34
George Foreman

Very little, if any, water vapour results from the burning of gas turbine fuel. The con trails are ice crystals that form around the 'smoke' particles/nucleii in the gas turbine exhaust plumes. The ice crystals form only in near to 100% water vapour saturation in the atmosphere and best when the air is a little over the 100% saturation - called super-saturated but needing a condensation nucleus to trigger the change of state from vapour to ice crystal.