PDA

View Full Version : Road Pricing- Petition the PM

AMM626
22nd Dec 2006, 09:39
http://petitions.pm.gov.uk/traveltax/

63804 signatures as I write, by far the biggest amount of any petition. Whether Mr B'Liar will listen to the people :ugh: :ok:

G-CPTN
22nd Dec 2006, 09:39
Did he listen over Iraq?

robdesbois
22nd Dec 2006, 10:22
From the petition:
The idea of tracking every vehicle at all times is sinister and wrong. Road pricing is already here with the high level of taxation on fuel. The more you travel - the more tax you pay.
It will be an unfair tax on those who live apart from families and poorer people who will not be able to afford the high monthly costs.
Please Mr Blair - forget about road pricing and concentrate on improving our roads to reduce congestion.

Ok how is the government supposed to improve the roads without charging us? Vehicle tracking is not 'sinister and wrong' if used for taxation purposes and criminal investigations only. It is obviously open to risks of abuse, but so are many other things.
Come on people, have you actually thought about it?! Money has to come from somewhere, I don't like it any more than you do but it is logical that to obtain money for road maintenance that the money comes from those who use the roads. Use it less: pay less. Use it more, pay more. There is the problem of the dosh being diverted away from road servicing though.

haughtney1
22nd Dec 2006, 10:36
Ok how is the government supposed to improve the roads without charging us? Vehicle tracking is not 'sinister and wrong' if used for taxation purposes and criminal investigations only. It is obviously open to risks of abuse, but so are many other things.

robdesbois, We already PAY to improve roads through road tax, and extortionate levels of fuel duty:yuk:
As far as vehicle tracking is concerned..wakeup to yourself man, do YOU ACTUALLY believe it wont be abused? (because you can trust a government:hmm: )
Personally I'm of the opinion that we need to stand up to this big brother approach...its a continuing slippery slope:ugh:

mary_hinge
22nd Dec 2006, 10:38
From the petition:

. Use it less: pay less. Use it more, pay more. .

Bit like the tax on petrol then, more you use, more you pay.

Itís about time pedestrians and cyclists come under the same pressure as the motorists and drivers of this country. They use pavements and cycles paths so why donít we tax them just the same, but only half the amount as they only have 2 legs or wheels. Extra tax could be introduced for the larger obese types, like it is on 4 X 4s and MPVs!:ok:

Grainger
22nd Dec 2006, 10:57
Ok how is the government supposed to improve the roads without charging us? . . . Money has to come from somewhereThis is a wind-up, right ?

We already have the most heavily taxed fuel in Europe, we pay VAT on the fuel duty (tax on tax), plus Road Fund Licence (a.k.a tax disk), yet only a small percentage of that money is spent on the roads, most of it is stolen and put into the general exchequer pot.

The govt. have no interest in improving the roads - just more and more measures to make motoring as unpleasant as possible in an attempt to force people out of their cars.

robdesbois
22nd Dec 2006, 11:21
Grainger -- yep I do agree with you there, their approach is backwards. The money does go elsewhere though like (believe it or not!) funding the NHS which although we love to moan about is a huge benefit of this country.
I was playing devil's advocate a bit, it does p1ss me off especially when we don't see a benefit where needed (ie roads or public transport).

Grainger
22nd Dec 2006, 11:26
Fair enough, and I know they can't ring-fence everything.

More transparency would help though: isn't the NHS supposed to be funded from our National Insurance contributions after all ?

What they should be doing is using more of that money to improve public transport and give people an alternative. Kinda hard to see how that's gonna work now that all "public" transport is actually run by private companies. Taxpayers subsidising shareholders ? Hmmm. :suspect:

Choxolate
22nd Dec 2006, 11:28
From the petition:
Ok how is the government supposed to improve the roads without charging us? .
They ALREADY CHARGE US - fuel duty, VAT, RFL - the total contribution from these DIRECT MOTORING taxes exceed by far the amount spent on roads. Do you really think that money collected from road charging would be used on road or public transport improvements? This is not the case now. The general principle of "hypothecation" (i.e. putting certain taxes in specific "buckets" for use on defined projects) has been rejected at every stage by all UK governements. It all goes into one pot for general use.

With nearly all "Public Transport" now in private hands the governement will aim to gradually REDUCE the amount of government subsidy, not increase it, whatever extra revenue is collected from road pricing schemes.

IF the aim is set the principle that the more miles you drive the more you pay then increase fuel duty and "hypothecate" the extra revenue to road improvements and public transport improvements - but don't hold your breath waiting for this to happen.

GOLF_BRAVO_ZULU
22nd Dec 2006, 15:42
I agree that loading the tax on fuel is already a useful way of taxing vehicle use and consumption rates. It will pi*s me off, though, every time I put Duty paid ULGAS through my aeroplane!

I certainly don't trust any government to have visibility of where and when I am. Standing by for cries of "if you've nothing to hide".