PDA

View Full Version : Best Christmas present as a child.

Rollingthunder
21st Dec 2006, 16:23
Dinky toys (errm, diecast models) (Wish I still had them - would be worth a fortune, but had to move overseas.)
Corgis would be slightly less well received but with suitable good graces.

Teddy (Rupert) was probably best one year. Got so worn over years to come that mum had to knit a red jumper for him to hold him together. Whatever happened to him?

matelot
21st Dec 2006, 16:46
Best present? A left-handed single holster for my cowboy gun (only about 50 years ago...) :ok:

High Wing Drifter
21st Dec 2006, 16:52
Raleigh Commando (http://cgi.ebay.com.au/ORIGINAL-RALEIGH-COMMANDO-DRAGSTER-W-STURMEY-ARCHER-GRS_W0QQitemZ290062163613QQihZ019QQcategoryZ42312QQcmdZViewI tem) bicycle. Went everywhere on it.

Foss
21st Dec 2006, 17:57
A BMX. My brother got one too we had sneaked downstairs and we rode around inside the the house from 4am in the morning to about 7am.
Then we got a severe and final warning to stop doing that and go back to bed.
Fos battered child, well not really, but the threat was there

frostbite
21st Dec 2006, 18:14
A bicycle for me too (also about 50yrs ago).

Cost my Grandpa a whole week's wages.

787FOCAL
21st Dec 2006, 18:17
Evil Knevil windup jump motorbike.

Loose rivets
21st Dec 2006, 18:37
Like most of my presents in my childhood, my projector came from the sale-room. The house was full of stuff from that place. Chairs with castors missing, chests of draws with a fine handle in pieces in one of the draws. Nothing was ever complete, but it didn't seem to matter. I couldn't sleep for the excitement of what was in the huge cardboard box. I'd been allowed a peek you see.

At last piles of old 8mm films -- they type with the hole in the middle -- littered the floor. The main machine and a large metal cage that held the rheostat to light the bulb, were laid out in a rough plan. Disaster! The lens flopped about in the front housing...obviously something was missing.

My uncle was visiting, and he just happened to own a small machine shop. He measured the hole and in no time a brass sleeve arrived in the post. It fitted perfectly into the machine and the lens fitted into that so that it slid fore and aft, but didn't wobble. I was sooooooo impressed. At 7 years old I could sense how clever this was. The silver-solder line down the tube meant that he had made it to fit.

Frankly to this day, I have never been so thrilled by any of my ‘toys', or so impressed by a snappy piece of engineering.

I still have some of the Felix the Cat film.

handysnaks
21st Dec 2006, 19:03
A johnny seven made me the envy of all the other kids on the patch:ok:

G-CPTN
21st Dec 2006, 19:24
http://www.foldsoc.co.uk/MFHoldtrike.jpg
Mine was red - couldn't find a coloured photo, but I don't think colour had been invented in 1950!

Foss
21st Dec 2006, 19:29
What's a Johnny Seven, I've never heard, of it curious now.

Getting Action Man stuff was always good, had tons of it. Then my dear old dad gave it all away to needy children in Belfast for their Christmas presents.
'Daddy where has all the Action Man stuff gone?'
'It was stolen.'
This is still brought up every Christmas. My brother lamenting the loss of his tank and jeep and one of the the Action Men with swivel eyes.
This was 30 odd years ago.
Will the wounds ever heal, or will I just be permantly scarred, like Action Man.

I was given another one for Christmas about 5 years ago. Kids, don't try and renact the Iranian embassy siege at 3am, drunk, by dangling an Action Man over a fire on bit of string (his climbing rope) with your brother. Action Man gets flash burns quite easily.
Fos

Had to go out and buy another one.

handysnaks
21st Dec 2006, 21:25
http://www.annonline.com/interviews/961018/johnnyoma.JPEG

handysnaks
21st Dec 2006, 21:30
everything a young warmonger could want.......shame I was a sh!t shot when I finally got to use real ones!:{

reynoldsno1
21st Dec 2006, 22:08
Me davy Crockett musket - it made loads of noise and smoke, and would send burning debris and sparks into yer eyes - authentic or what? If I find the little Welsh **** who stole it, i'll give him a good kicking - even if he must be nearly 60 by now....

Buster Hyman
21st Dec 2006, 22:15
The old man had a penchant for getting me a bigger present than the previous years' (Model aircraft). The culmination of which was a B36 Peacemaker with a wingspan of roughly 1 metre in length! We both realised that whilst it was great fun building them, I literally had nowhere to put the completed model.:(

Blacksheep
22nd Dec 2006, 02:12
"Frank's Garage"
Made with his own hands by my Dad. It was modelled on the local garage - called "Wiggin's" (I kid you not) - and just the job for all my Dinky's. It was a real champion piece of work and built to last. Second best was the castle he made the following year. He did a nice doll's house for our Cath as well.

As time went by, it became successively John's garage and Ron's Garage. Its still in Mam's loft with the castle. Cath still has the doll's house,

...and all the dolls. I got a smack on the mouth when I asked if she still played with them. :ouch:

Loose rivets
22nd Dec 2006, 02:44
Oooo...recesses of the mind. Me Mum made me two things that I remember during the war. One was a toboggan to use on Colchester Castle park and the other was a one-string guitar.

I must have been a horrible little @#% cos I recall moaning about the fact that she had used up all me sand-paper.....Oh, that's another thing, she made me a little tool bag with tools and sand-paper. Three things... Ahhhhhh.:{

The one string guitar was allowed to go up to twenty miles without a permit, as long as it was accompanied by a civilian. It got as far as Braintree before I forgot it.

So, if any of you successful rock-stars found this classic instrument, and as a result became rich and famous, you can thank my mom...and me, by sending a cheque for a million pounds to me in Texas.

tinpis
22nd Dec 2006, 03:55
Over 55 years ago old empty powdered milk tin with assorted golf tees ,collar studs , wooden clothes pegs , ball bearings and wood blocks and nick naks.:{

vapilot2004
22nd Dec 2006, 04:44
Over 55 years ago old empty powdered milk tin with assorted golf tees ,collar studs , wooden clothes pegs , ball bearings and wood blocks and nick naks.:{

With a couple of elastic bands those golf tees (not to mention the ball bearings) could have been fun, no?

My best childhood gift ever had to be one of those 200-in-1 electronic circuit kits. Never could figure out how to zap my older sister with it but did delight in broadcasting my voice or (better) discordant tones over her FM radio. :}

A bit :8 -y I know.

tinpis
22nd Dec 2006, 04:53
For the young lady who has everything (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1dmVU08zVpA) :E

Blacksheep
22nd Dec 2006, 06:16
Over 55 years ago... How come? It says right there under your name that you're only 11 years old.

tinpis
22nd Dec 2006, 06:18
I never progressed :hmm:

GANNET FAN
22nd Dec 2006, 11:04
Hornby Double-O, Sir Nigel Gresly. Still got it!!

Standard Noise
22nd Dec 2006, 11:57
Toss up 'tween Action man with swivelly eyes and BigTrak.

Or was it that orange jumper my granny gave me?:confused: