PDA

View Full Version : Speed Cameras

VuctoredThrest
21st Dec 2006, 15:10
Does anybody know what limit you get 'done' for from fixed speed cameras. Got flashed yesterday (I think it was me) when I was doing 51, poss 52 in a 50 zone. Are you not allowed a 10% tolerance?
Thanx in advance.

Jerricho
21st Dec 2006, 16:44
If you were doing even 1 mph over the speed limit, you deserve everything you get.
That should kick things off nicely

matelot
21st Dec 2006, 16:55
The law allows a 10% tolerance on the accuracy of your speedo. You should check the accuracy, so you know what it should read. In the UK I knew where my local measured miles were, but over here I use a Magellan GPS and a TomTom to give me an idea. (Incidentally, both read exactly the same.)

So although one or two mph over the limit, technically that is an absolute offence and you have no comeback.

BUT, if it happened to me, I would throw back at the court the principle in English law of de minimis, i.e. the law does not concern itself with trifles.

And the bench - if they had the balls - could find that in fact you had committed NO offence (rather than that you had but with a conditional discharge.)

Your 10% tolerance on a speedo is a separate issue: nothing to do with the offence of exceeding the speed limit.)

Hope that helps.

SET 18
21st Dec 2006, 17:44
Watching Top Gear many moons ago I was informed that the EU tolerance on a speedo is 10% +2.5 mph...

frostbite
21st Dec 2006, 17:58
If you were doing even 1 mph over the speed limit, you deserve everything you get.
That should kick things off nicely

I was going to comment until I saw the hidden bit!

(swine)

Grainger
21st Dec 2006, 18:00
First of all, don't panic - just 'cos you got flashed doesn't automatically mean you will get an NIP.

If you do however, your first visit should be to: http://www.pepipoo.com/

In the meantime try not to worry about it, and enjoy your festive season.

matelot
21st Dec 2006, 18:27
Watching Top Gear many moons ago I was informed that the EU tolerance on a speedo is 10% +2.5 mph...

Not 4 kph?

Jerricho
21st Dec 2006, 18:41
I was going to comment until I saw the hidden bit!
(swine)

Yeah, that quote thing can save lives when used correctly as well ;) :p

Unwell_Raptor
21st Dec 2006, 20:49
The ACPO guidelines are
http://www.acpo.police.uk/asp/policies/Data/speed_enforcement_guidelines_web_v7_foi.doc

G-CPTN
21st Dec 2006, 21:01
I believe that the majority (if not all) of vehicle manufacturers will ensure that your speedometer will always OVER-READ. I believe that the tolerances quoted are always applied ABOVE the true speed. After all, no vehicle manufacturer is going to willingly indicate to the customer that their vehicle is performing WORSE than reality. You might not get the full tolerance (due to production variations) but I doubt that ANY vehicle will ever under-read.
Of course, you would be foolish to rely on this when judging your speed for limits.

http://www.speed-trap.co.uk/Accused_Home/Rules_useage/The_Law.htm

DucatiST4
21st Dec 2006, 22:04
Most car speedos over read as has already been stated however the construction and use regulations have recently been changed to remove the "tolerance" that used to be built into speedos. So basically this means that its up to you to know exactly how fast you are going.

Also the ACPO guidelines are just that , guidelines, not law.

Paracab
22nd Dec 2006, 00:24
As a point of interest my works vehicle speedo reads 95 mph but the sat nav generally reads 90 mph.

The 'over read' idea sounds a good one.

wiccan
22nd Dec 2006, 01:19
Slighly off topic, is it true that ALL "revenue earning" cameras should be painted in a conspicuous colour?
bb

DucatiST4
22nd Dec 2006, 07:01
No i don't think so. Again its advised but not law.

Cpt_Pugwash
22nd Dec 2006, 09:30
Well, if the police authority/scamera partnership want to keep the revenue from particular scamera sites, the scameras have to be properly sited (at accident blackspots with defined fatality figures) and be clearly visible (normaly painted yellow) with appropriate advance signage. Otherwise any revenue goes back to the exchequer.
In theory, that is, in practice, .............