PDA

View Full Version : Saparmurat Nijasov Checks Out

Flip Flop Flyer
21st Dec 2006, 14:30
The (now former) despotic dictator of Turkmenistan has given the world an early christmas present by drawing his last breath.

I trust the better informed peeps on this fine site are somewhat aware of Mr. Nijasov's more bizarre decisions. For instance, he renamned the months of the year after himself and his family.

More about Nijasov:

He renamed himself "Serdar Turkmenbasji" - The Great Leader of All Turkmen
He declared himself Ruler for Life
He forbade gold teeth, as noone was allowed to signal wealth on his level
He forbade car radios
He forbade ballet, circus and opera as "non-Turkmen cultural activities"
He forbade music in all media, at privat and public parties (including weddings) as well as in restaurants and in bars. Miming to music was also forbidden
He forbade young men to have long hair and beards
He stayed in an ice-palace in the Turkmen desert - a very hot place!
He instituted a public holiday in the honour of ... melons!
He fired thousands of nurses and doctors, replacing them with army conscripts
He made it mandatory for all public servents to wear a badge with his picture
He renamed the word "bread" in the name of his mother
He renamed the following after himself: A city, an airport, a planet, streets, farms, a breed of horse, a canal, ships, children and only 2 weeks prior to his death, a tivoli
His face is on bottles of vodka and brandy, as well as on coffee and tea bags
Foreign visitors (few and far between) have usually been given a horse as a present
At his 65th birthday he had coins issue with his entire pedigree
His face is on all coins and notes
School children are forced to say a prayer in his honour every day
At the end of all news shows, the presenter must raise his hand and swear "May my hand be cut off if I hurt my country, and may my tounge decay if I speak badly about the country, the flag or the presiden".
Criticism of the president is, obviously, forbidden
Import of foreign newspapers is forbidden

And, in true JetBlast fashion, good ole' Dubya had him on the good guys list in the "war on terror" :E

The SSK
21st Dec 2006, 14:36
Deputy Prime Minister Kurbanguly Berdymukhamedov has been named head of the commission handling the funeral, state television said.

BBC Newsreaders 'categorically refuse' to read any news item containing his name.

tony draper
21st Dec 2006, 14:44
Strange int it, all these bastards seem to die of old age after a comfortable retirement and when anyone suggests they should have been checked out using a short rope and a long drop hands are wrung.
:uhoh: :rolleyes:

chornedsnorkack
21st Dec 2006, 15:01
The trouble is, Türkmenbashi did NOT retire. And seems to have taken care not to appoint or allow to arise any obvious heir. Sounds like a recipe for fighting.

tony draper
21st Dec 2006, 15:11
At least he hadn't ordered all the men in the country to wear their underpants on the outside of their trousers,thats generaly the last stage.
Or the ladies to wear bags with a small eye slit over their heads,that would have indeed been a step too far.
:rolleyes:

Taildragger67
21st Dec 2006, 17:56
F F Flyer,

When I was there last year, I went to a bar/restaurant where music was playing and I wasn't even approached about whether or not I wanted a horse.

I did, however, get a nice dose of Ashgabat Belly. :yuk: (literally) - just what you need when it's about 45'C in the shade.

Halk! Watan! Beyik! Turkmenbashi!

G-CPTN
21st Dec 2006, 18:28
If you analyse the points made by FF Flyer in his first p*st, the guy doesn't sound THAT bad.
He renamed himself "Serdar Turkmenbasji" - The Great Leader of All Turkmen Her Gracious Majesty (once Empress of the Empire or whatever - albeit Victoria.
He declared himself Ruler for Life God Save the Queen.
He forbade gold teeth, as noone was allowed to signal wealth on his level Not a bad idea.
He forbade car radios Not such a bad idea, probably reduces accidents.
He forbade ballet, circus and opera as "non-Turkmen cultural activities" Elitist activities, (well, perhaps not the circus, but who needs it?)
He forbade music in all media, at privat and public parties (including weddings) as well as in restaurants and in bars. Miming to music was also forbidden Miming to music SHOULD be banned!
He forbade young men to have long hair and beards And?
He stayed in an ice-palace in the Turkmen desert - a very hot place! Wouldn't you if you could?
He instituted a public holiday in the honour of ... melons! Lady bumps?
He fired thousands of nurses and doctors, replacing them with army conscripts Give the Army something to do instead of fighting (and trains the populace too!
He made it mandatory for all public servents to wear a badge with his picture Not a big deal.
He renamed the word "bread" in the name of his mother Mother's Pride?
He renamed the following after himself: A city, an airport, a planet, streets, farms, a breed of horse, a canal, ships, children and only 2 weeks prior to his death, a tivoli And Elizabeth / GWB HAVEN'T got any of those named after them?
His face is on bottles of vodka and brandy, as well as on coffee and tea bags Probably cuts down on consumption.
Foreign visitors (few and far between) have usually been given a horse as a presentI LIKE horses.
At his 65th birthday he had coins issue with his entire pedigree Must've been large coins or small writing.
His face is on all coins and notesGod Save the Queen!
School children are forced to say a prayer in his honour every day God Save the Queen!
At the end of all news shows, the presenter must raise his hand and swear "May my hand be cut off if I hurt my country, and may my tounge decay if I speak badly about the country, the flag or the presiden". Might improve some of the huggy-fluff stuff we get from the Beeb (and ITV).
Criticism of the president is, obviously, forbidden Treason?
Import of foreign newspapers is forbiddenMaybe his worst idea.

Flip Flop Flyer
22nd Dec 2006, 14:09
G-TN

Usually I think your posts are of a rather high standard, but this one is not one of them. One little thing mate, there are rather a large number of differences between an elected politician, who then moves on to grant himself dictatorial powers, and a constitutional monarch. Tradition is but one of them.

And no, I don't belive Dubya has named anything after himself. That's not to say that, sometime in the future, we might se a USS GW Bush - but not whilst the oxygen thief is still alive.

Loki
22nd Dec 2006, 14:37
I`m sort of with G-TN on this one. it doesn`t do to criticise without first having a good long look at one`s own situation. Judge not, lest ye be judged?

Though of course this character was a loony despot with some very strange ideas.....we`re probably better off without him

(I could think of a few leaders in the West who would almost fit that bill)

tony draper
22nd Dec 2006, 15:22
Yup but in the west we can be rid of them with two strokes of the pencil on a ballot slip,thats the big difference,I have little sympathy for the people who live in places like that all they have to do is take to the streets and hang or burn the buggas oppressing them.
:cool:

Loki
22nd Dec 2006, 15:54
Tony Draper

However, a recent article (last week?) in the Sunday times reported a seemingly contented populace.....I know, I know Hitler was popular in Germany before the wheels came off.

Difficult one; who are we to determine what government a country has? Unless of course ones name is Tony Blair.

tony draper
22nd Dec 2006, 16:24
Or Winston Churchill.:rolleyes:

Blacksheep
23rd Dec 2006, 02:14
Is that WC the Great War Hero or the WC who wished to order troops to open fire on striking workers during the General Strike? (until he was persuaded otherwise by his PM.) If he'd had his way he may have triggered the very revolution that the establishment of the time feared and Britain would have gone commie. A considerable effect on the way the country was run. ;)

Grandad BS used to spit in the fire to clean out his mouth if he ever had to mention WC's name.

tinpis
23rd Dec 2006, 02:50
Well he was half Yank.

Krystal n chips
23rd Dec 2006, 08:32
I note that, despite his little eccentricites, he was astute enough not to re-brand Andrex after himself---which would have been most apt.

I continue to be amazed however, as to how, cough, natural resources can seemingly unite diverse political ideology---isn't Nature wonderful :rolleyes:

G-CPTN
23rd Dec 2006, 08:36
G-TN
Usually I think your posts are of a rather high standard, but this one is not one of them. One little thing mate, there are rather a large number of differences between an elected politician, who then moves on to grant himself dictatorial powers, and a constitutional monarch. Tradition is but one of them.
And no, I don't belive Dubya has named anything after himself. That's not to say that, sometime in the future, we might se a USS GW Bush - but not whilst the oxygen thief is still alive.
I started my reply as a purely tongue-in-cheek response but as I progressed I thought "Hey, there are some parallels here!" I agree that in the Western World it is mostly the populace that do the renaming of things and places after their erstwhile rulers (such as Cape Kennedy and the Queen Elizabeth II liner) but it is but a short step to initiate such actions ones-self.

On other decrees, how many would like to see such things as long hair, beards or hoodies banned or some other intrusion into normal life?

People who live in glass houses . . . .

Al Fakhem
23rd Dec 2006, 10:52
Now, why is Borat not from Turkmenistan?

barry lloyd
23rd Dec 2006, 14:31
As someone who spent a considerable amount of time in Turkmenistan just after the fall of Communism, I would venture to suggest that it has come a long way.
The hotel we were using was Soviet-era, with one telephone for the whole hotel, and a minimum four-hour wait for an international phone call, on which the plug was pulled after three minutes, two TV channels (both in Russian), and a 'restaurant' which served breakfast only, in chipped and cracked cups and a choice of processed cheese or extremely pale ham. We were warned not to go out alone in the evenings, though this wasn't really a problem, since the main water pumping system in Ashgabat was damaged, and all the water used for cleaning and cooking was brackish with the consequent effects on everyone's stomachs and other parts, so we were too busy doing the Turkmenistan two-step to worry about going out.
The people we met were friendly, if somewhat suspicious of foreigners, and I didn't hear a bad word said about their leader. You could say 'well that's what you'd expect', but I've always found a few people willing to express their opinions in countries where they shouldn't.
Yes, a classic dictatorship, but everyone has access to free electricity, water and gas, and petrol costs buttons, so the population is not repressed -economically at least.
It will be interesting to see how its near neighbour reacts, given the enormous natural resources the country has. The Russians accidentally set fire to a large gas well there in the 1960's and it's still burning!