PDA

View Full Version : Christmas Music

panda-k-bear
21st Dec 2006, 13:16
So what do we all lik as Christmas approaches on the music front (or what don't we like)?

I can't get Greg Lake's "I believe in Father Christmas" out of my head at the moment.

What I really can't stand is the Pogues and their bl00dy awful Christmas Dirge or whatever it's called (Fairytale in New York).

Arm out the window
21st Dec 2006, 22:47
I'm not one for the carols and Christmas music, especially the elevator-music kind they play in shops, but was forced to learn a couple of songs recently as part of being, I won't say tricked, but gently coerced, maybe, into participating in the local Carols by Candlelight concert - not the activity of choice for this heathen.

Anyway, we learnt two that I hadn't had much to do with before, and to my surprise, I liked 'em a lot:

1. 'It's beginning to look a lot like Christmas' - Bing Crosby - when singing this, you can imagine yourself smoking a pipe and put on the old croony Bing voice, a bit of fun and not a bad song at all, as they go, and it talks about presents of cowboy boots and guns, as well as Mum & Dad hanging out for the kids to be back at school - can relate to this pretty well!

2. 'Have yourself a merry little Christmas' - Judy Garland - wife sang this one, while I brought out my meager repertoire of jazz chords on the guitar, started out with a slow bit and then into a swingy beat - good fun, didn't sound half bad either, we reckon.

So now I like two songs I'd never have chosen to have anything to do with, who'd've though it?

Merry Christmas all, or whatever your preferred holiday greeting may be...

Jinkster
21st Dec 2006, 23:24
The Pogues -classic!

Chris Rea - Driving Home for Christmas.

Mudfoot
22nd Dec 2006, 00:13
My choir is singing at 2 services on Sunday (8 & 10 p.m.) in our newly renovated sanctuary (built in 1870, young by European standards):
- "Carol of the Bells" (Carol who?)
- (2 others that I can't think of the names of - do I pay attention?)
- "The Alleluia Chorus" w/ congregation participation welcomed
- and me soloing "O Holy Night" in 'C' (mixed in somewhere-cover your ears)
I like 'em in their intended forms, not this rubbish put forth by Whitney Houston or the likes, going through 7 octaves just to show off. Call me a purist, but I appreciate the original versions of most carols & hymns.

Cheers, y'all, and (according to my beliefs) a Merry Christmas and Happy Holiday season to all.

Dr Illitout
22nd Dec 2006, 00:39
You never hear Gary Glitter's "Rock and roll Christmas" any more. I wonder why?

Rgds Dr I

Arm out the window
22nd Dec 2006, 06:42
Just watch out for that Handel's Messiah! The 'Gloria in excelsis Deo' bits are all well and good, but I'm a bit concerned when they start on about how beautiful the feet are, and how they like sheep!

lexxity
22nd Dec 2006, 09:19
Fairytale of New York is a classic! How can you not like that?

I like a lot of the older christmas songs, like white christmas and so on.

Merry Christmas to all of you!

christn
22nd Dec 2006, 11:27
For the ageing rockers amongst us check out Merry Axemas (and indeed Merry Axemas 2)!

MagnusP
22nd Dec 2006, 11:37
For the ageing rockers amongst us check out Merry Axemas (and indeed Merry Axemas 2)!
The same label, Favored Nations [sic], also released an Acoustic Christmas CD a couple of years ago.

Also, check out Bob Rivers' "Twisted Christmas" for a bit of fun.

jethro15
22nd Dec 2006, 13:10
Single - The Pogues, Fairytale of New York just can't be beaten. However, a close second is The Waitresses, Christmas Wrapping

Compilation CD - Jethro Tull - Christmas Album. Funnily enough It's playing now........

squirrel350
22nd Dec 2006, 13:34
Ya gotta love that pogues song and another is "The Night Santa Went Crazy" by Wierd Al.

Merry Christmas to all and to all a good night.

PS: Happy New Year (get really drunk and be merry)

Choxolate
22nd Dec 2006, 13:39
Gorra be SLADE

cessna l plate
22nd Dec 2006, 13:54
I find Chris De Burgh "A spaceman came travelling" to be my faourite Xmas tune. I have to admit to actually enjoying the Crimbo songs on the radio this year, as for the last 11 years I have been DJ'ing at this time of year, and became so sick of listening to them they were banned in my house on Xmas day!

Krystal n chips
22nd Dec 2006, 17:58
I am not, for some very private reasons, a fan of the Christmas / New year period. That said, with regard to music, "Silent Night" in any form or language is about the only classical piece that has always appealed.

I now have to break the bad news to panda---er, we agree on something :p

"I believe in Father Christmas"----summates the whole season rather well--for me at least.

frostbite
22nd Dec 2006, 18:09
I am not......... a fan of the Christmas / New year period.

Likewise, always glad when it's over.

obgraham
22nd Dec 2006, 19:26
Jorgi Jorgenson - "I Yust Go Nuts At Christmas"

VFE
22nd Dec 2006, 19:43
Dodgy pint?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ig3EjNlKP5M :bored: :\ :eek:

VFE.

TheDesertFerret
22nd Dec 2006, 19:49
Why has everybody forgotten "Hey Mr Christmas" by Showaddywaddy? It deserves to be up there with the best.

frostbite
22nd Dec 2006, 21:05
Everyone's trying so hard to forget 'I saw Momma kissing Santa Claus'.

Howard Hughes
22nd Dec 2006, 21:27
The wife came home with an unusual one yesterday, gotta say though after a couple of listens it's quite amusing....

I want a hippopotamus for Christmas - Shirley Temple.:ok:

TheDesertFerret
22nd Dec 2006, 21:29
"I wan't"

Oh good lord that is the end.

Howard Hughes
22nd Dec 2006, 21:36
Have you never made a typo? There all fixed inlcluding the two spelling errors you failed to pick up on!

I feel sorry for you....:sad:

TheDesertFerret
22nd Dec 2006, 21:44
Really? The apostrophe on my keyboard is country mile away from 'n' and 't'.

If your keyboard is non-standard and that really was a typographical error then my apologies.

If you are dyslexic then my apologies.

If not then you should have paid attention at school. That really is awful!

Howard Hughes
22nd Dec 2006, 21:47
Two words - night and shift...;)

Not to mention generally the hands work faster than the brain, anyway who paid attention at school?

TheDesertFerret
22nd Dec 2006, 22:27
Sorry HH. Pressure of Christmas shopping turning me into a smartarse. I'll get you a pint next time you pass through South London.

VFE
22nd Dec 2006, 22:28
Nevva payed much atenshun @ skool cuz da teachaz woz idiotz, ennit.

VFE.

Arm out the window
22nd Dec 2006, 22:28
Yes, and I don't think you've explored the possibilities sufficiently before suggesting he hasn't paid enough attention at school:

If aliens have hijacked the nerve impulses between your brain and fingers then my apologies.

If you're typing this in the dark with a broken monitor then my apologies.

If you're a highly-paid assassin in a hurry to post because Interpol are kicking the door in then my apologies.

May I also suggest that commas would be appropriate before the phrase 'then my apologies' in your comments?

And what is it your apologies are going to do?
'... then my apologies.' doesn't actually say anything - surely you should have used something like ' ... then you have my apologies.'

Ahhh crap, DF ... you'd already apologised before I finished my post! Now it's my turn to apologise - sorry!

TheDesertFerret
22nd Dec 2006, 22:37
May I apologise to Arm out the window.

May I apologise for disgraceful digression.

May I apologise to HH again ('cos I was being a bit of a ****).

And may I apologise for anything else I'm likely to need to apologise for over the next 24 hours.

And may apologise to the girl I slept with last night who didn't reach orgasm. (I tried hard).

And may I apologise for apologising far too much.

Sorry.

TURIN
23rd Dec 2006, 00:00
Have you never made a typo? There all fixed inlcluding the two spelling errors you failed to pick up on!

You mean "They're" or "They are" (all fixed...) don't you?:E

Mudfoot
23rd Dec 2006, 00:42
You mean "They're" or "They are" (all fixed...) don't you?:E

Caught it - the twisted double 'L'. Fingers tangled in the keyboard, Eye Sea. lol

Cheers and Happy seasonings to all.

Howard Hughes
23rd Dec 2006, 00:44
In the spirit of reconciliation, may I apologise too, I feel better now I have had a little Nanna nap.

I may even take you up on the offer of a pint around World Cup time next year, and if you're ever in Sydney let me know.

Merry Christmas to you and your family, HH.:ok:

PS: How do you make a woman have an Orgasm? WHO CARES.....:E