PDA

View Full Version : WTFIT???

GANNET FAN
21st Dec 2006, 09:35
I'm embarrassed to ask this but its been driving me mad. I can figure most of the initials posted out but please what does this mean?

watp,iktch

lexxity
21st Dec 2006, 09:37
We Aim To Please, It Keeps The Cleaners Happy.

Buster Hyman
21st Dec 2006, 09:49
Up until now, I would have said FIIK!

Captain Smithy
21st Dec 2006, 09:58
Ah yes, "L33t" speak as it is known, the scourge of our English language. It is a primitive form of communication used by pasty-faced, acne-ridden teenagers too lazy to type a proper sentence. Often a lack of punctuation, spelling and grammar accompanies this phenomenon.

Well-known phrases include "LOL", "LMAO", "IIRC", "ROFL" and "PWNED". Interestingly, I have noted their use on this very forum.:ugh:

tony draper
21st Dec 2006, 10:02
Wow dude that sucks major LOL! :uhoh:

The SSK
21st Dec 2006, 10:04
I always thought it was:
watp,yat,p

Buster Hyman
21st Dec 2006, 10:04
.....:= You got one of your "rad" nephews to type that didn't you Mr Draper?:=

GANNET FAN
21st Dec 2006, 10:06
Ah yes, "L33t" speak as it is known, the scourge of our English language. It is a primitive form of communication used by pasty-faced, acne-ridden teenagers too lazy to type a proper sentence. Often a lack of punctuation, spelling and grammar accompanies this phenomenon.

Well-known phrases include "LOL", "LMAO", "IIRC", "ROFL" and "PWNED". Interestingly, I have noted their use on this very forum.:ugh:

Bluddy hell Smithy, the only LOL I know is Lots of Love and that hardly applies to anyone here.

Please identify this and the others.

Actually I bet I'm not alone in being puzzled!!

BlueDiamond
21st Dec 2006, 10:20
Like, cool, M8. This is fully sick. L8r.

Standard Noise
21st Dec 2006, 11:02
I think we need an acronym thread ASAP BTW.

Foss
21st Dec 2006, 11:21
Ah, I believe after asking a small child outside it mean 'What the f*** is that'

I don't really mind reading them online too much, but I hate getting texted with them.
R8 mate how ru cu l8ter
Text me using english you stupid sod. You're 38, stop it.
Fos

Captain Smithy
21st Dec 2006, 11:29
R8 mate how ru cu l8ter
Text me using english you stupid sod. You're 38, stop it.
Fos

I applaud that comment:D

Floppy Link
21st Dec 2006, 11:39
...just remembered going through Linton where we had...

NGASAWONPEDOSCHAD

and later on, heard on the province flight safety net

GHWLLBSNLGH

Captain Smithy
21st Dec 2006, 11:41
...just remembered going through Linton where we had...

NGASAWONPEDOSCHAD

and later on, heard on the province flight safety net

GHWLLBSNLGH

OK, I'm totally confused now.:confused:

The SSK
21st Dec 2006, 11:47
30 years ago the papers and the tube trains were full of ads for Speedwriting

'Gt a gd jb + mo pa'

GANNET FAN
21st Dec 2006, 12:18
Oh bo88ocks....I give up

robdesbois
21st Dec 2006, 12:47
I applaud that comment:D

I do not -- given that each text message is limited to 156 characters (IIRC - If I Recall Correctly) which isn't a lot really, then 'text-speak' (lots of abbreviations, missing out vowels, replacing syllables with numbers, etc.) is an extremely useful option.

'Leet speak' is slightly different and involves making the text far more illegible, for the purpose of illegibility to those not well-versed in it. Random capitalisations and numbers are frequent. It's generally only used by 13-year old online-gamers or hacker wannabes.

LOL = laugh out loud, not lots of love by the way :} or at least I hope so, otherwise I have some rather closer friends than I thought....

Foss
21st Dec 2006, 12:50
ilsmbicoomnatdilmf

That's an old one.
'I laughed so much beer is coming out of my nose and the dog is licking my face'

First couple of times I got that in emails I thought it was German or something.
So, I had had to phone the sender, who lived in bloody America and ask, 'what are you talking about, what's that mean. Have you been admitted to some sort of mental institution.'
Fos

Chesty Morgan
21st Dec 2006, 12:52
Smithy, you forgot 'PMSL':}

SinBin
21st Dec 2006, 13:04
The other night I met a right BOBFOC!

(Body Off Baywatch, Face Off Crimewatch)

eastern wiseguy
21st Dec 2006, 14:21

NFC....:p :p

The SSK
21st Dec 2006, 15:14

ASAP (and sometimes SASPO) were standard Telex language along with PLADV and ADNOK (advise if not OK) and probably many others I've forgotten about.

verticalhold
21st Dec 2006, 15:21
It was so much simpler in the days of: SWALK
and BURMA

Our office youth texts and e-mails with these strange lists and letters every day. Boss and I are desperate for a translation before the little **** puts us both out to grass or into an institution.

Chesty Morgan
21st Dec 2006, 15:25
Code word for the missus - NORWICH.

Nickers Off Ready When I Come Home:}

Foss
21st Dec 2006, 16:14
I do not -- given that each text message is limited to 156 characters (IIRC - If I Recall Correctly)

But why go to all the bother, the phone's in your hand, hit the green button and speak. It's a lot easier.
And I text a lot myself. But in proper english, if you hit 156 characters, that's practically a short story.

But I like the messages saying 'how are you I love you.' Or LYL, love you lots. I store those ones.
I am a soppy sod.
Unless you send 'I love you too dear' but send it to a former colleague in Scotland by mistake. That isn't so good.

My aged and beloved father has started texting. His acronym is 'Hello.'
Pensioners should have a small child with them if they want to use a mobile.
So you phone him up, it rings and rings then goes onto messages. Try again, 'Dad what do you want, you alright.'
'I just wanted to say hello. Couldn't find the phone there. Hello. Ok, bye.'
Completely pointless.
When he goes to text one of his friends, one find the phone, two, he has to find his glasses. Phones me on a landline 'phone me would you.' This is to help in hunt for a very small mobile by noise only.
'What's LOL mean, Loyal Orange Lodge? Why would he send me that, I'm not in a Lodge, and he isn't either, I don't get it.'
Oh God help us.
Fos

Juud
21st Dec 2006, 16:44
Foss, more power to your Dad for trying to stay in touch with the times instead of behaving like a dinosaur. :ok:You should take a leaf out of his book perhaps? ;)
Even if what your Dad does seems futile to you, have you considered the fact that old has regrettably become synonymous with 'bad' in our society? And that by texting, he feels like he still belongs? Have you thought of the fact that the more old people use their brains to learn new things, the more agile their brain remains?
Good for your Dad that he's trying to communicate in textspeak I say!!

Language is a 'living entity'. It grows, changes, loses words, acquires new ones, modifies its grammar according to changing needs and fashions.
Textspeak, as robdebois says, is a cheap fast means of communication. There's a limited amount of characters per text message, so people have constructed a new way of writing to cram the maximum amount of meaning into the minimum amount of characters.

Once new words have gained critical mass, they cross over into mainline language and other means of communication. Every person has his own pace, so for some people the crossover will go too fast, for others much too slow. I for example don't like to see textspeak on pprune, while for many of the younger FAs on the CC forum, using anything other than textspeak is a ridiculous waste of time. Young people adapt faster than older people, easy as that
Change is the essence of a living language, always has been, always will.

Why oh why some of you get so riled up about it? :confused: :confused:
And that is not a rhetorical question by the way, Smithy, Foss, please elucidate? I'd like to know where the anger, and in some cases downright aggression, comes from.

;) Should the basis of your unease be partly due to the fact that you feel left behind because you don't understand text speak, here's a few useful links:
link (http://www.environmental-studies.de/SIM-Card/SMS/SMS-glossary/sms-glossary.html) link (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SMS_language) link (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_SMS_abbreviations) link (http://www.transl8it.com/cgi-win/index.pl?convertPL)

Jerricho
21st Dec 2006, 17:21
Ah yes, "L33t" speak as it is known

Point of order Captain Smith, if I may.

L33t is actually much different to the lazy internet slang abbreviations that have been mentioned here.

True L33t is a combination of all possible keys on the keyboard with random characters (s can be either S s $ 5 ) that can resemble letters and random upper case/lower case use.

For instance:

"The quick brown fox jumps over the lazy dog" could translate to:

"+H3 kw1Ck br0wN f0X juMP5 0V3r T3h [email protected] d09"

Thing is, it's not cool, it never was. It's just feckin annoying.

Me just found this:

List of internet slang (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Internet_slang)

kansasw
21st Dec 2006, 17:30
Here's a very useful listing: http://www.acronymfinder.com/

Foss
21st Dec 2006, 17:32
Juud
It's not aggression in anyway, I've been texting for many years and know all the shorthand, that isn't a problem. I love getting video messages, or pictures sent.
I just don't like the short hand. gr8 or great, it's only another two characters to write great. It just seems daft to me, that's all.

As for my aged and beloved father keeping up with technology, true, that is a good thing, I agree.
But he has to put the mobile in his flipping pocket when he goes out to keep up with technology and not leave it lying on his bedside table or the kitchen table or somewhere, with a flat battery.
;)
Fos

Juud
21st Dec 2006, 17:57
;) Davaar, you mean the same sweet as in I suspect, given his difficulties in accurate reading and quotation, that he struggles with modern English too.

Foss, patience. :)
I am now 2 weeks into explaining to my mother that IS possible to log off our daughter's nick from her computer's MSN (Child used Mum's computer 4 months ago) and to log on with her own nick.
So far, a futile exercise and every time Mum switches on her PC in Spain, it looks as if our daughter has just logged on.
And all the Norwegian kids start chatting to their mate in Mexico. In Norwegian. Which my Mum thinks is highly amusing as she doesn't understand a word. :ugh: :)

Foss
21st Dec 2006, 18:08
Tell me about it.
Father asks me why his computer is so slow.
'Well, you've got 40 start up items, that's going to slow things a bit. Do you have to have google earth as start up?'
'What's my password.'
So we have to go through the names of every dog he's ever owned. That was fun. Got it eventually.
:)
Fos

Loose rivets
21st Dec 2006, 18:51
What worries me, is that, as a mild dyslexic, I seem to be able to read all of this stuff without noticing that it's in code. Missed me vocation, obviously.

Oh, and when I go out of shops with PULL written on the outside of the door...I always pull just as it says.

G-CPTN
21st Dec 2006, 19:17
When I moved to Denmark, I noticed (and thought it unreasonable) that the words on doors telling you which direction they opened were 'Tręk' and 'Tryk' and how similar they were and how confusing. Then I realised that 'Pull' and 'Push' were similar too . . . :ugh:

tony draper
21st Dec 2006, 19:28
One must be the exceptions to the rule, I am the old buggah the rest of the fambly and neigbours come to to fix their puters and other items technological, mind you, one will have nowt whatsoever to do with texting,in fact one has a intense dislike of mobile phoning beyond recieving and transmiting the human voice as nature intended.
:rolleyes:

lexxity
21st Dec 2006, 21:31
Ones Nanna has a mobile phone. Whenever she wants to speak to any of us on our mobiles she always calls from her mobile, she can't understand that she can call a mobile off her landline. She very rarely charges her mobile phone either so a conversation is usually very short.

Her: Hello it's your Nanna speaking.
Me: Oh hello, click brrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr

Foss
21st Dec 2006, 21:59
Don't worry Davaar, I delete posts all, the time. But usually spend ages writing one, re-writing then then just deciding it's rubbish and deleting it without even posting.
So you all should be thankful, because my crap posts could be even worse and just annoy everyone.

It's not an acronym but a personal favourite is Felix. The cartoon cat that can survive anything.
It's the callsign for bomb disposal.
He was painted on the side of their wagons. But if you seen a cartoon cat on a wagon it was time to be somewhere else, maybe quite a bit away. It was a cat because they have nine lives. Brave guys.
Fos

tony draper
21st Dec 2006, 22:36
I can look through me posts prior to hitting send half a dozen times and see nowt wrong, then soon as they are posted yer spot two or three mistakes, usually spot a berra form of words or phrase after they is posted as well.
:uhoh:

Davaar
22nd Dec 2006, 00:50
;) Davaar, you mean the same sweet as in

No. Not at all.

Duchess_Driver
22nd Dec 2006, 00:58
...when someone PVR'd the initials LMF used to appear next to there name on the crew room tea list.

If they were chopped, it was "BOS", or chopped for gross incompetence it was 'RLBOS'.

Took me ages to figure out.

Lack of Moral Fibre
Bag of Sh1t
Right Little BOS

Blacksheep
22nd Dec 2006, 01:34
Children tend to use text because:
a) Its cheaper and they can't afford to call
b) They can do it in a classroom without being caught.

If we'd had cell phones when I was in school, I'd have done it too - it lets you do two things at once. I do two things at once all the time - I'm doing it now - life is too short.

I seldom send texts long enough for fancy abbreviations, so I've never learned many. At most I'll text "U awake?" or "U Free?" to see if daughter x or y is available for a chat, then call when they reply. If they want me, they just text "Jambu" (a family "in" thing) and I ring them back. I'd rather hear their voice, its more personal.

That's probably what Foss's Dad rings for. Just to hear his voice.

Captain Smithy
22nd Dec 2006, 08:57

L33t is actually much different to the lazy internet slang abbreviations that have been mentioned here.

True L33t is a combination of all possible keys on the keyboard with random characters (s can be either S s $ 5 ) that can resemble letters and random upper case/lower case use.

For instance:

Me just found this:

No problem my friend. You are correct. Although I have seen "L33t" used in text messaging, and also in e-mails. Bloody annoying.:mad:

GANNET FAN
22nd Dec 2006, 11:00

For instance:

Me just found this:

Jerricho, wtf didn't you post this yesterday?!! I have seen more internet slang since I started this thread and up till now have been totally confused. At long last I have something to refer to. Excellent.

Happy Christmas to all, I am now happy!!!
JC

Jerricho
22nd Dec 2006, 16:38
Sorry mate.

As much as people seem to think I don't, I do actually have other things to do than sit here and give people sh*t ;)

chiglet
22nd Dec 2006, 22:19
This is one heck of a thread drift.......
We Aim To Please, It Keeps The Cleaners Happy
p.s. I think that you can Google it :{

TheDesertFerret
22nd Dec 2006, 22:40
One for juniors.

RTFM

"Read The ******* Manual"

Fly Through
23rd Dec 2006, 02:19
For controllers everywhere.......RTFS.....read the [email protected]*#ing strip. Written lots of time on my sim reports.
FT

allan907
23rd Dec 2006, 04:04
Was staying in a pub down the south west and having a quiet glass of wine with the girlfriend when I noticed a big sign with burnt on lettering:

IYNATFTIWCYTDFTRFDS

The conversation naturally got around to discussing what the **** it stood for (WTFISF). I had just about nutted it out when the girlfriend's patience ran out and she called over the landlord and asked what it meant.

"If you need a translation for this it will cost you two dollars for the Royal Flying Doctor Service", was his reply.

The RFDS made a few dollars out of that place :ok:

Jerricho
23rd Dec 2006, 04:46
Christ, I haven't seen that for quite a few years Allan. Thanks for the memory there mate :ok:

(and a bloody good cause to donate to as well)

CUNIM
23rd Dec 2006, 17:01
What happened to the good old Q code, you could do a lot with that on these new fangled mobile telephone message services.

QJH QJB5 QAF HOME

Mumble mumble into pewter tankard whilst hiding in the corner lest the health and safety police accost me and confiscate my pinta.

Edited to add a little phrase.;)

Foss
23rd Dec 2006, 17:45
You've got to explain that code. I'm lost
Fos

CUNIM
23rd Dec 2006, 17:53
QJH - this is a test message
QJB5 - using the telephone
QAF Home - let me know when you get home.
:ok:
Just thought to add a bit of an alternative to the yoof way of doing things - t'wer invented around 1910 when the morse code was being used to a greater extent.

tony draper
23rd Dec 2006, 18:31
I recal the Contractor list for work on the New Tyneside Metro System.
Signalling contractor "Westinghouse"
Pax Telephones..........."STS" Standard Telephone Systems
CCTV Systems............"RBE" Reddifusion Business Electronice
Master Clock system...."TBA" ??????
Everybody pulling in cables and installing kit would muck in and help each other,the question was always being asked when the **** are these TBA blokes gonna show up, they are going to be buggad for their cables routes when they do,even the main contractor Tyne and Wear Passenger Transport Authority blokes were at a loss had no idea when and who they were.
Eventually it was discovered TBA meant "To Be Awarded" much in the way of red faces about the place.
We did not get the hastily awarded contract, and one was vey pleased about that.
:E

CUNIM
23rd Dec 2006, 18:36
We always relied on the PFM module to correct faults in either hardware or even in software. A jolly useful tool, essential when at the leading edge of strange wiggly things.

What I hear you say is a PFM module. Well it is Pure F***ing Magic.:E

Foss
23rd Dec 2006, 18:36
Dear God.
'Quick get the code book. He's coming to test the home, oh I don't know.'
Marconi has a lot to answer for. I blame him.
http://www.radiomarconi.com/marconi.jpg

Fos

CUNIM
23rd Dec 2006, 18:49
QEF 4 Dinner

Reached my parking area for dinny poos:ok:

Loved the piccy Foss

Davaar
23rd Dec 2006, 20:21
You've got to explain that code. I'm lost
Fos
You're lost! Here's what to do:

"Practice Pan! Practice Pan! Practice Pan! This is .................... above 8/8 at 1515 Z, angels 35, heading 350 degrees, 250 knots indicated. Simulate ten minutes' fuel. Request High Level QGH and GCA".

Less fun, but essential, were QDM, QNH, and on and on.

P.S. If you Google "Queenie Nan Howe" you will find erudite discussion between none other than our very own Keef, phnuff, cunim and modestly Davaar and others.

P.P.S. If you are really lost with the low fuel, forget the "Practice", and keep your mind open to "Mayday".

Loki
23rd Dec 2006, 20:40
There is or was a three letter group which meant "are you being interfered with". (can`t remember or be bothered to look it up)

Lots of prosaic 5 letter ones too:

Qalom....ILS localiser on maintenance
Qalok....guess what, it`s OK now

and of course

Queue....which is a line of people standing for.......

allan907
23rd Dec 2006, 23:59
Here de list....

http://www.kloth.net/radio/qcodes.php

....enjoy

tony draper
24th Dec 2006, 00:15
I have my own, IIAJMTIITB.
If its a Japanese manual throw it in the bin.
Well twenty years ago, they made absolutely hilarious reading,the Chinese seem to have adopted the Monty Python school of instruction manual writing,recently bought door entry telephone, instructions for installing the door entry unit stated,"Build a cave in the wall 100 mm by 75mm by 50mm depth"
Yer cudden make it up.

Davaar
24th Dec 2006, 01:04
I always treasured the song of praise to the star employee who "has achieved present position of mediocrity".

allan907
24th Dec 2006, 01:18
Had a bit of a brouhouha down here recently about the racist undertones of the naming of "Jap" pumpkins.

The huggy fluffies tried to get the name changed to something more appropriate for today's PC age until someone pointed out that the name referred to the common or garden pumpkin grown in your back yard - Just A Pumpkin :}

Foss
24th Dec 2006, 10:09
QAK

So that means you're about to die in a fireball of flames.
Meanwhile some bloke nearing retirement on the radio is desperatly trying to remember what it means.
Fos getting the hang of it a liitle bit. lot to said for ordinary VHF, just speak to someone.

G-CPTN
24th Dec 2006, 11:05
On the subject of 'foreign' manuals, a colleague used to have the job of rewriting these into comprehendable English. In fact, he said he usually started from scratch (with the relative piece of kit) rather than trying to sort out the badly created version in Japlish or Chinglish. He recalled a particular howler where the reference for a screw was translated rather euphemistically using the four-letter 'f' word, indicating assembly of the equipment with the instruction 'fcuk here' . . .

BDiONU
24th Dec 2006, 13:24
.....:= You got one of your "rad" nephews to type that didn't you Mr Draper?:=
I got one of mine to write me a youth dictionary:

A
ah nam - tell on, rat on.

B
back slang - a code which uses the original spelling of words and adds extra letters and syllables for effect or to disguise the real meaning. The rap lyric "shizzle my nizzle", which confounded a High Court judge, is one such example.

bare - a lot of, very. In the case of a man or woman described as bare butters (see below)

book - cool. The first option given in predictive text when trying to type c-o-o-l.

boom boom - a slogan of approval in inner-city London. There was much debate during the election campaign about whether Tony Blair was booed or boomed at the Lilian Bayliss Technology School in London.

buff - sexy, fit.

bum - to enjoy something: "he bums that game so much". And there are levels of bummage - to really like something is to "bum it blue", but "he bummed it black" means he used to like it but has since gone off it.

butters - ugly (pronounced without sounding the t's).

buzzing - cool.

C
chirps - chat up: "we chirps some buff gals last night."

chung - extremely sexy. If someone is described as "chung", that's better-looking than their "buff" friend.

cotch down - to hang out, relax, chill out or sleep. Possibly derived, via patois, from the French "se coucher", meaning to lie down. See also kotch.

crump - a multi-purpose term which can be an insult, an exclamation and a rather explicit sex act. It generally means bad, but can also mean good, depending on the context: "that ain't good man, it's crump" or "that's one crump message you left there".

D
dash - to dash is to pass something to somebody - but it can be "pass" in the broadest possible sense, including to throw violently with the intention of causing hurt or damage.

dred - dreadful, terrible, bad, cruel.

dry - dull, boring, stupid, unfunny. A bad joke might be described as "dry".

F
feds - police. Taken from the US word for the FBI.

fo sho - "urban" version of yes, for sure, certainly.

from ends - one who is "from the streets" and so knows what's going on.

fudge - a very, very stupid person indeed - the implication being that these letters will be their GCSE results.

G
grimy - good, or may describe a practical joke or amusing - and probably unsavoury - act.

H
hangin - ugly, most likely with an unattractive body and bad dress sense to boot.

howling - ditto.

J
jack - to steal or take, as in "car-jacking".

K
kotch - sit and chill out. See also cotch.

L
long - someone who won't put out, also meaning a lot of effort: "He wanted to have sex with me, but I told him I'm long."

lush - good-looking, sexy.

M
mint - cool. Self-explanatory, surely.

munter - ugly. An alternate to minger, which has long since passed into the mainstream since its first recorded use in 1995.

N
nang - London term for cool, excellent, brilliant. When something is very good, it's "proper nang".

O
off the hook - cool, appealing, fresh, exceeding one's expectations. A phrase much over-used by Maxwell in Big Brother to express appreciation for his surroundings, for an attractive member of the opposite sex...

R
rago - whatever, OK.

random - odd, irregular, crazy, out there. Used by those who like to think they live a life less ordinary. Used by players of the online game Counter-Strike to describe someone whose performance is inconsistent.

roll with - hang out with.

S
safa - coolest of the cool, superlative version of safe (see below).

safe - cool, good, sweet.

shabby - cool, smart, "da bomb". As in "that's a well shabby suit."

sick - interesting, cool, never seen before. The more sick something is, the better. This usage originated with skaters and snowboarders.

sik - see sick.

slap up - to beat up. Hence the happy slapping craze in which feral youths attack passers-by and film it on their mobiles.

standard - goes without saying.

swag - extreme, scary. A word which once denoted ill-gotten gains and then freebies - particularly branded merchandise - it can also be used as an adjective for something frightening.

switch - to turn on someone.

T
tell over/told over - to rat on someone.

V
vexed - irritated, angry. An old word, it has gained new currency, as demonstrated by Science in Big Brother to express his annoyance with some triviality or other.

W
wicked - cool. Yes, 30-somethings who remember it from their own school days, it has made a comeback. Can also mean very, thus something can be described as "wicked cool".

Y
yard - house, garden, where one lives and hangs out.

your mum - a comeback to a question or insult. An implied affront to one's mother, which may be taken as an ineffectual insult or may result in grievous bodily harm.

How come he missed the most common word that seems to be used i.e.

INIT
A word used by braincells to punctuate a sentence as in

"I was walking down the road, init'

BD

frostbite
24th Dec 2006, 15:55
Presumably one just takes for granted the 'Yeah?' at the end of each statement, but not to be used if a question has been asked.

Rather more than I wanted to know there, BDi, but thanks for the effort.

E-Girl
3rd Jan 2007, 08:14
IYNATFTIWCYTDFTRFDS

Ok, I give up...WTF does it stand for? :confused::confused::confused::confused::confused:

allan907
3rd Jan 2007, 14:56
Was staying in a pub down the south west and having a quiet glass of wine with the girlfriend when I noticed a big sign with burnt on lettering:
IYNATFTIWCYTDFTRFDS
The conversation naturally got around to discussing what the **** it stood for (WTFISF). I had just about nutted it out when the girlfriend's patience ran out and she called over the landlord and asked what it meant.
"If You Need A Translation For This It Will Cost You Two Dollars For The Royal Flying Doctor Service", was his reply.

The RFDS made a few dollars out of that place
That'll be $4 for you egirl for not reading the original post properly := Are you blonde by any chance??

Gingerbread Man
3rd Jan 2007, 16:33
p.s. I think that you can Google it

I did that a while ago and was presented with a large number of posts on a website called Pprune, by chiglet. I assumed that it therefore meant nothing to anyone but he/she.

Btw (in the spirit of things); NORWICH?! What a load of rot - you're not allowed to change the spelling of words for your own personal convenience. Therefore from now on you must use KORWICH.

Ginger ;)

tony draper
3rd Jan 2007, 17:14
Heres a blast from the past,"LEFO", it has nautical connections,and one recals two people actualy me where it was,those that recal the local paper shipping requests might know.

Foss
3rd Jan 2007, 17:36
I like Sunray, the codename for OIC.

As for PAN PAN, I've only heard that once in real life, on the boat, but we were a decent six miles away from their position. I actually shouted up to the skipper 'Oy, Dad, f*** there's a f***ing PAN PAN on the radio.'
Obviously he wasn't my Dad, he was the boat owner, daft.
Then it turned into MAYDAY MAYDAY THIS IS YACHT XXXX WE NEED HELP URGENTLY.
The guy has had a heart attack.
I'd just finished my Red Cross course, the daughter of the owner sailing with us is an intensive care nurse and the driver is a doctor.
Couldn't get there, we could see him through binos, and listened on the radio, but he was dead.
Don't like PAN PAN.
Fos