PDA

View Full Version : 2007 HK Class 1 Medical eye requirement - PLEASE PLEASE help!

smiley_gurl
21st Dec 2006, 07:02
While I realize there are tons on this topic (I am familiar with the search button :) ), none of the threads I found came with a definitive recent answer. Please direct me to the right thread if I'm mistaken.

Recently, I was invited by a Hong Kong airline to attend their cadet pilot program selection process in HK and I am incredibly worried about my eyes, which are -5.75 sphere and -0.50 astigmatism in both eyes. I am afraid that with my eyesight, it'll be a complete waste of time, money, and effort in going to HK when I can't pass the HK Class 1 medical in the end.

So for those who have authority on this, is it really that simple - a corrected eyesight of 20/20 and otherwise totally healthy eyes will pass the eye requirements? Specifically for Hong Kong 2007, since my prescription's so high and I have not logged any aviation hours, do I stand a chance of getting a CAD Class 1 Medical? Finally, where can I access detailed and legitimate information on this?

Thanks for taking the time to read this.

authority
21st Dec 2006, 12:27
While I realize there are tons on this topic (I am familiar with the search button :) ), none of the threads I found came with a definitive recent answer. Please direct me to the right thread if I'm mistaken.

Recently, I was invited by a Hong Kong airline to attend their cadet pilot program selection process in HK and I am incredibly worried about my eyes, which are -5.75 sphere and -0.50 astigmatism in both eyes. I am afraid that with my eyesight, it'll be a complete waste of time, money, and effort in going to HK when I can't pass the HK Class 1 medical in the end.

So for those who have authority on this, is it really that simple - a corrected eyesight of 20/20 and otherwise totally healthy eyes will pass the eye requirements? Specifically for Hong Kong 2007, since my prescription's so high and I have not logged any aviation hours, do I stand a chance of getting a CAD Class 1 Medical? Finally, where can I access detailed and legitimate information on this?

Thanks for taking the time to read this.

Because there isn't a definite answer. as simple as that. you even cannot find that on HKCAD.

If you consider a waste, why did you apply in the first place? Sorry to be mean, but this really doesn't sound logical.

HKCAD or ICAO has the authority.

Your hours is not in anyway related to Class 1 Medical. Just imagine those student pilots.

xsbank
21st Dec 2006, 20:25
Umm, why not pick up the 'phone and ask them? Their recruiting department should be able to tell you.

Are they sending you a ticket? If so, don't phone and go anyway. Hong Kong is a hoot (although expensive) and you will enjoy the experience. I liked the Slasher Arms, although the food sucks. Probably a long trip just to go to a pub. Its also full of cheesy pilots...

smiley_gurl
22nd Dec 2006, 19:41
Thanx for your replies xsbank and authority.

If you consider a waste, why did you apply in the first place? Sorry to be mean, but this really doesn't sound logical.

Your hours is not in anyway related to Class 1 Medical. Just imagine those student pilots.

I most definitely do not consider the possibility of being a pilot a waste, otherwise I wouldn't have applied! I've wanted to be a pilot for 8 years but was told early on that because of my eyesight, all I could hope for was a PPL. Then flash forward to earlier this year where I got encouraged by a recruiter from this airline who said that my eyesight doesn't matter as long as I have corrected 20/20, hence the succesful application. Afterwards, I started reading some online forums where past candidates have gone through the entire process only to fail at their medical, which they attribute to their eyesight so I starting thinking...what I consider a waste would be that. I dont' want to waste the airline's or my time if I'm doomed to not pass the final call because of my eyes.

As for the hrs, other countries accept up to -5.00 eyes if the pilots already have 500 hrs so I put that down just in case Hong Kong has a similar little-known clause.

Now why can't the airlines' put down as a requirement the max eye prescription they would accept? It's not really a discrimination, it's just a simple standard...

Umm, why not pick up the 'phone and ask them? Their recruiting department should be able to tell you.

Oh, but I have!!!!!!!!! Numerous @!##@!# times. I made several long-distance phone calls to HR where I ended up being referred to the CAD's website where as authority said, the info can't be found, so I called CAD's general enquiry number (basically they gave me a roundabout answer of "sorry, not my department") and the enquiry number -852 2769 8653- listed RIGHT UNDER the HK CAD Professional Pilot's License information and they also gave me "sorry, not my dept, we have no info on that" and when I asked further, received a fictitious email address. :ugh: *sigh*

Does anybody know where I can contact an HK Aviation Doctor?

Air1980
22nd Dec 2006, 20:43
Don't worry. I have 5.25 in each eye and have always been able to hold a US Class I. I am a captain at a US airline right now, and just passed the first Cathay interview - I too was worried that my eyes may not be up to scratch, but I put down in great detail my perscription on the medical form, which they subsequently reviewed I am guessing - and called me back for the 2nd interview. I am sure they would not call me - or you- to come to Hong Kong at their expense etc. if they hadn't determined your eyes are fine. Worry more about studying up for the interview, and good luck.

Now, if I could just find that *&(^% of an optometrist in England who told me at age 10 I'd 'never be a pilot' and should 'look for a new career'...........

wongtaisin
23rd Dec 2006, 03:24
smiley_gurl

You need to clear up your mindset...

(1) You're applying for cadet pilot. Right? No experience needed. Right? Then why bother
other countries accept up to -5.00 eyes if the pilots already have 500 hrs so I put that down just in case Hong Kong has a similar little-known clause.

Then that's not justisfied/useful.

(2) Class 1 Medical is a set of standard for you to meet. Dunno if I am correct in this analogy - it's a summit, if you can get to there, you can get Class 1 medical. even the details (FAA's) talks about "XXX should not affect the ability YYY". i.e. it's not "if you have aaa, then you cannot yyyy".

(3) Eyesight is about 20/20 with or without correction. It's not about the prescription. People can still have 20/20 after correction while some who even doesn't need glasses, cannot achieve 20/20. They are two independent things.

(4) Airlines' medical requirement has been stated - Class 1 medical.

(5) I think you need a Class 1 Medical checkup, rather than the limit on presciption. Right? You can find that out by one thing - internet search engines.

(6) If you really doomed to fail by medical, similar to Authority has said, why bother apply in the first place? Com'on, wake up. One thing, worry doesn't help / hinder your application.