PDA

View Full Version : Anyone in HK take lowish hour ICAO CPL?

julian_storey
21st Dec 2006, 00:33
Hello!

Would anyone know of anyone in Hong Kong who would take me! I have 1200 hours and an FAA CPL ASEL / AMEL.

I know that Cathay want LOADS of hours!

Any ideas?

Thanks

Julian

makchunyinjohnny
21st Dec 2006, 04:03
Julian,

From the recent posts, SO's "realistic" requirement seems to be 1.5k TT. I'm not familiar with FAA license but if FAA CPL ASEL / AMEL means Frozen ATPL and if you have turbo time I would give it a shot if I were you.

There are quite a few airlines recruiting low hour pilot in the region. Do some research on airlines of Macau and Singapore. If I don't have Parkinson, these airlines seem to have a lower hour requirement. My previous research shows CX seems to depreciate FAA licenses in contrast to other ICAO counterparts.(Damn! Did I just start another debate?). Please join in to give this guy some support!

Best of Luck

makchunyinjohnny
21st Dec 2006, 04:23
Julian,

Here is your update, low hour recruitment from Macau seems to have disappeared. They used to employ pilots, probably SO for 500+ TT. For SIA they currently recruit pilots basing in HK and requirements:

CO-PILOT

- Experience on public transport aircraft, preferably jet powered aircraft
- Minimum Form Seven, GCE ‘A’ level/Polytechnic Diploma or its equivalent. In addition you must have obtained at least 5 Form Six Level credits or its equivalent. These include English, Mathematics and a pure science subject, preferably Physics, taken at one sitting;
- At least 1.65 m in height
- Medically fit with visual acuity of at least 6/60 without optical aids, correctable to 6/6
- Minimum frozen Airline Transport Pilot's License (ATPL) convertible to a Singapore License
- Preference will be given to candidates with higher qualifications and some years of working experience

Hope this helps

julian_storey
21st Dec 2006, 10:46
Many thanks for that.

I have no 'airline' experience and no turbo prop / jet time. As I have a load more hours than they appear to need, I may well give it a shot.

Thanks again.

xsbank
21st Dec 2006, 20:13
"If you don't buy a ticket, you won't win the lottery."

Arrowhead
29th Dec 2006, 03:40
Your TT is okay for Air Macau, but you need some time on jet aircraft.

spongebob_pilot
29th Dec 2006, 09:58
[quote=makchunyinjohnny;3030719]Julian,
If I don't have Parkinson, these airlines seem to have a lower hour requirement.

Hopefully you know a little bit more about aviation then you understand about Parkinson's disease. I hope you didn't have a difficult time typing your message!! Maybe the disease you were thinking of is....Ill give you a clue......shoot, I can't remember!

Dart18
25th Jan 2007, 04:34
Julian,

Here is your update, low hour recruitment from Macau seems to have disappeared. They used to employ pilots, probably SO for 500+ TT. For SIA they currently recruit pilots basing in HK and requirements:

CO-PILOT

- Experience on public transport aircraft, preferably jet powered aircraft
- Minimum Form Seven, GCE ‘A’ level/Polytechnic Diploma or its equivalent. In addition you must have obtained at least 5 Form Six Level credits or its equivalent. These include English, Mathematics and a pure science subject, preferably Physics, taken at one sitting;
- At least 1.65 m in height
- Medically fit with visual acuity of at least 6/60 without optical aids, correctable to 6/6
- Minimum frozen Airline Transport Pilot's License (ATPL) convertible to a Singapore License- Preference will be given to candidates with higher qualifications and some years of working experience

Hope this helps

Sorry to tell you this fact, an FAA license is not
"convertable" to a Singaporean license UNLESS you pass all their tech/ATPL /Perf A papers, approx. 17 papers in total! Civil Aviation Authority of Singapore does not recognise any foreign licenses except UK license. Hope it helps.

Dan Winterland
25th Jan 2007, 12:46
And in HK, to convert a foreign ATPL into a full HK ATPL you have to have a minimum of 2800hrs and the exams you have to take depend on which licence you hold. I'm not sure which exams you will have to take, but I think there are more for a FAA licence holder than most.

Less than 2800hrs, I think a CPL is issued but you would have to ask the HK CAD for details.

rjmore
25th Jan 2007, 17:11
I've been told to expect 4-6 exams when I start. Mostly law and some things HKCAD has deemed FAA folks weak on. I'll be the first to admit that, we can fly the airplane but the tech knowledge is lacking compared to the rest of the world.