PDA

View Full Version : A rant about traffic police

phnuff
20th Dec 2006, 19:38
I have now seen it all. This afternoon, I was driving along the A505 in Letchworth and on my right, there was a police vehicle parked obviously ready for action. Maybe 50 yds further along, there was another vehicle this time an estate car with what appeared to be a cylinder on the roof, maybe about 18 inches long. Ah ha, I thought, new type of speed trap or maybe something to read tax discs which would mean the guy I had already passed was obviously there to pull people over. Fine I thought. Next, about 30 yds away I passed a loaded Gatso and lo and behold parked up on my side of the road was another police car. So, a 6 man operation !!
"What is he up to ?" I thought.
Just then, from a road on my right, out came white van man tyres screaming causing me to hit the anchors - he also came pretty close to hitting a car coming the other way and taking out a cyclist. He then went like a bat out of hell to the roundabout next to where the police were parked and ignoring the vehicles already on it, forced his way onto it. The policemen who were parked up did nothing, zip, zilch, bu**er all. They were so obviously part of this speeding trap or what ever it was that they were involved in that they were prepared to ignore dangerous driving so as to maintain their operation. As a council tax payer, I feel pretty annoyed that 6 police were involved in this sting and a dangerous driver gets away with almost causing accidents under their noses.

Standard Noise
20th Dec 2006, 19:44
Deep breaths phnuff, deep breaths, in two three out two three, in two three out two three.

We no longer live in a Police state, we now inhabit a catatonic state.

rugmuncher
20th Dec 2006, 19:44
Ok,, now breathe!

Have you sent this in a letter to the Police force involved or are you expecting someone in a forum such as this to sympathise with you?

:ouch:

And breathe again!!

phnuff
20th Dec 2006, 19:46
Letter (well email) has already been sent. Expecting a sympathetic visit from plod any day now :ugh: :ugh:

Hey Rugz, interesting profile. It wasn't you in the sting this afternoon was it??

Standard Noise
20th Dec 2006, 19:48
are you expecting someone in a forum such as this to sympathise with you?:ouch:

Oh come on rug, we all sympathise with him, but we also know there's nothing that can be done about it. We may as well sack the politicians and let the Chief Cons run the show. There ain't one MP at Westminster who, given the job of Home Secretary, would have the balls to stand up to the CC's and tell them to get back to proper policing.

Careful phnuff, they'll be coming to lock you up for upsetting their feelings!

Curious Pax
20th Dec 2006, 20:18
You should think yourself lucky having seen any traffic cops. On my visits back to the UK I tend to cover a lot of miles, and rarely see any at all.

yakker
20th Dec 2006, 21:09
Becoming a common sight, I believe they are using Number Plate Recognition kit. Stopping cars that have no MOT, tax, insurance or stolen. Seen it being carried out just outside Swindon, also near Northampton.

G-CPTN
20th Dec 2006, 21:20
First of all, phnuff, by all means write to the Police. Remember to give them your full name and address AND details of what car your drive (including licence plate number) to give them a sporting chance of being able to stop and apologise personally to you.

The number-plate reading device (and backup). They have discovered that people who cheat on things such as MOT, tax and insurance are more likely to be 'offenders', so stopping them frequently uncovers unlicensed firearms and trunks full of stolen goods (if not sacks of Class A drugs), so you really needn't worry (unless you fall into the above categories, in which case by ensuring your vehicle is taxed, tested and fully insured and then you can avoid detection).

VFE
20th Dec 2006, 22:48
On the A1 northbound near Huntingdon there is a very tight S-bend where the speed limit is reduced to 60. Any faster and a driver of average ability would have trouble negotiating the bends (anyone know it?). Anyway, a few weeks ago as I rounded the second turn I was greeted by rear brakes lights everywhere and my immediate reaction was to apply mine, obviously aware that I was the other side of a blind bend and anyone not entirely on the ball could easily have hit my rear causing a concertina affect. My initial thoughts were that there had been an accident so when I collected my thoughts I applied my hazard lights in the hope that this would filter back around the blind bend.

The cause?

Two f :mad: g t :mad: t dibbles in a traffic car parked up with a speed gun.

That will sort you an accident out dibble - no problem! Great location!! Bravo!! :D

VFE.

phnuff
20th Dec 2006, 22:52
G-CPTN
Don't misunderstand. I am fully in favour of the police clobbering tax/MOT/Insurance cheats and understand the link between these offences and other crimes. What I am not in favour of is the fact that two of these people who are supposed to be on 'my side' (i.e. looking out for the bad guy), had not one but two examples of dangerous driving right in front of them, and did nothing. If as they claim, the police are really into cutting accidents, then they would be trying to get people like him off off the roads instead of ignoring him. I have written to Herts police and have liitle faith that they will take notice. I may be doing them an injustice, but I can't help thinking that they are after the easy 'nick'; after all, no tax/MOT/insurance is an open and shut case: bad/dangerous driving is subjective and would mean no promise of a conviction. More worrying is that I, a middle aged, probably middle class (although I don't like to admit it), person, feel that I mistrust the police so much. I was brought up to understand that in this country, we have policing by consent which means the public buy into it. These days, and with the exception of serious crimes, I wonder how many people really buy into police policies. I cannot help feeling that they persue their own agenda of maximising convictions by concentrating on the easy statistically pleasing offences rather than making the streets better by tackling the hard. - </Rant off>

Gertrude the Wombat
20th Dec 2006, 23:27
I wonder how many people really buy into police policies
Well, those who help set policing priorities probably understand them better than those who can't be arsed. Your contribution to public life is ...?

eal401
21st Dec 2006, 07:23
What are these "traffic police" you talk of?

:E

D SQDRN 97th IOTC
21st Dec 2006, 08:37
the traffic police you talk of are probably playing "hide & seek" right now

by the way - has anyone tried "hugging a hoodie" recently? I want to know if you makes you feel any better after you've been robbed by his mates......

(not that I've been robbed, but would be interested in the views of the jet blast regulars?)

phnuff
21st Dec 2006, 12:48
Well, those who help set policing priorities probably understand them better than those who can't be arsed. Your contribution to public life is ...?

I notice you use the word Probably. It could be interpreted as either that you have blind faith (always a bad move), or you have some personal interest in setting police policies, which itself is worrying since the subject of this post is the fact that 2 police officers sitting in a car ignored 2 counts dangerous driving.

Oh and my contribution to public life ? Other than being a school governer, nothing because what with running a business and running a family, there is very little time left for anything else. . . and yours is?

VFE, are you talking about the bends on the A1 near Tempsford where the road crosses the river?

VFE
21st Dec 2006, 13:18
VFE, are you talking about the bends on the A1 near Tempsford where the road crosses the river?
That's the one!

VFE.

flybhx
21st Dec 2006, 19:04
The "agenda" of policing priorities mainly come down from the lovely Home Secretary.

jayteeto
24th Dec 2006, 17:29
The police federation have complained about policy from the top (TrustmeTony) that has told them to have more bobbies on the beat to reassure the public. Opinion polls said that the public were annoyed with the government as they never seemed to see the police walking the beat.... Sounds great!!!!
Unfortunately not, because in the haste to have high visibility (including speed/ANPR traps), personnel have been taken off response duties. So if you are getting burgled/beaten/raped/witnessing bad driving etc, there will be a shortage of patrols to respond in vehicles as they are all on the street trying to look good for you.:mad: :mad: :mad:
This is Labour Government policy, not the police men and womens idea. Apparently you all wanted to see uniformed officers out catching criminals, these ANPR traps do just that. So you should be happy.....Yes??

matelot
24th Dec 2006, 18:12
@ phnuff - ... had not one but two examples of dangerous driving right in front of them ...

Whether it was dangerous or not is purely subjective. If it was that bad you could have challenged the officers on the spot and complained at the time. Or didn't you have time to report two dangerous drivers there and then?

But I know what you mean. I've been there. :ugh:

terryJones
24th Dec 2006, 22:52
I see that the latest revenue devices will be more dangerous than the existing ones, which only cause people to break heavily when the see them.
It seem that the average speed cams will not work if you change lanes.
So, all you have to do is change lanes after every gantry and you're laughing.
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/pages/live/articles/news/news.html?in_article_id=410539&in_page_id=1770

TBirdFrank
25th Dec 2006, 00:45
So last night - 23/12 I come over the crest of the hill and there are blue lights everywhere. I slow up and they are actually all around the entrance to my drive.

Someone was exiting and got T-Boned by some little tossers who don't know that driving faster than you can see round a bend just isn't clever.

We know because we leave the drive covering reverse gear in case we need it because ofone of these types.

Tboned vehicle is dumped up my drive in the centre of my car park. Police Disco is turning in my yard ready to attach to heepled crump that is still on the public highway.

I say that I fully agree with getting it off the road to avoid a continuing hazard as the owners have locked it up - no lights, handbrake on - and cleared off but it ain't going anywhere - its got no front end.

Officer floors throttle on Disco and with a lovely smell of Mintex deposits the wreck straight across my entrance and with a cheery wave says that the wrecker shouldn't be twenty minutes - and leaves.

So there I am - trapped in my own property by two unattended wrecks - so I indulge in a little self help.

One has the key in and whilst it has no back wheels to speak of is front wheel drive and starts - so I drag it off to a safe location under its own power.

Then Mr Lexx appears in his Jeep - with my ten ton rope in the back, so we tie on to the cripple - apply low box and a bit of torque and with no drama at all move this vehicle to a safe location also.

I know the police may be busy around teatime on a Saturday,but you would have thought that they would leave a site unobstructed and swept of vehicle debris.

We did - but is objective thinking so rare these days?

FormerFlake
25th Dec 2006, 07:23
On the A1 northbound near Huntingdon there is a very tight S-bend where the speed limit is reduced to 60. Any faster and a driver of average ability would have trouble negotiating the bends (anyone know it?). Anyway, a few weeks ago as I rounded the second turn I was greeted by rear brakes lights everywhere and my immediate reaction was to apply mine, obviously aware that I was the other side of a blind bend and anyone not entirely on the ball could easily have hit my rear causing a concertina affect. My initial thoughts were that there had been an accident so when I collected my thoughts I applied my hazard lights in the hope that this would filter back around the blind bend.

The cause?

Two f :mad: g t :mad: t dibbles in a traffic car parked up with a speed gun.

That will sort you an accident out dibble - no problem! Great location!! Bravo!! :D

VFE.

Similar thing happened to me last year. Driving south from Sleaford along a back road. Past a speed camera at less than 60 mph and approached a quite tight bend, but with enough visabilty to see the road was clear of hazards. So my full concentration was on the band and the road, as it should be. As I exited the bend and saw an unmarked speed camera van in the layby. If I had braked straight away like most people do (when the see a speed camera) I would have been off the road. I had no idea what speed I was doing as I was watching the bend and the road. 3 days later a letter apeared on my doorstop.

2 speed cameras in less than 1/4 of a mile stinks of revenue earning, not accident prevention. The siting of the mobile camera was dangerous and why have it sited so it was not visible until you were less than 100m away? If you where a bad driver you would brake and crash and never even reach the speed camera to get fined. A good driver would not brake and probably get caught if they where a few mph over the limit. T'is a good system this.

To be fair to the Police I don't think they like it anymore than the rest of us. I'm sure our boys in blue do not join the force to sit in the back of an LDV.