PDA

View Full Version : %*/^$ ing Adobe Flash!!!

Cornish Jack
20th Dec 2006, 16:21
I constantly get pop-ups requesting that I install Adobe Flash. I think it is as a result of installing Adobe Reader - became noticeable at about the same time. There is not a snowball's chance in Hell that I would EVER install this programme or anything else from the same stable but I can't work out how to get rid of it. Tried regedit deleting the products of a registry search for Adobe. No change. Presumably it is hidden somewhere in the software bowels. Would appreciate any pointers as to how to remove it.
TIA

frostbite
20th Dec 2006, 16:57
If it is Reader doing it, have you tried not granting it internet access through your firewall?

(assuming you have a firewall!)

Cornish Jack
20th Dec 2006, 17:16
Thanks Frostbite. Yes, I have AVG but it's not internet access that's the problem. As an instance, each time I change item in EBay, the Flash dialogue box pops up. Having had to put up with this odious interference in its previous incarnation as Macromedia, I would never, ever install anything from this lot. I'd just like to dump it in a permanently sealed software incinerator!!!:mad: :mad:

Tarq57
22nd Dec 2006, 02:36
Prior to having Flash installed I used to get a popup from any website that used it. A lot of sites. I don't think it's an internal pop-up. As long as you visit sites with flash content, you are likely to get these.
BTW I'm using Foxit PDF reader instead of Adobe's bloatware, and the latest Adobe flashplayer, with no apparent problems or nuisance.

vapilot2004
22nd Dec 2006, 03:25
To avoid the pop-up you must install it in Internet Explorer. The good news is that once it is in place you may disable Flash in IE under Tools > Manage Add-ons.

I find many Flash enabled pages very annoying. There are ads that take over the entire page with a 'where's Waldo' :mad: hidden close button and then there's the Flash generated ads that rotate pics and videos which can be distracting when reading content.

Cornish Jack
22nd Dec 2006, 10:12
Thank you MarkJoy and VApilot.
I hadn't looked at it as coming from outside. However, given the general antipathy towards spam, how do these software 'blaggers' get away with this unasked-for interference? :mad: :mad:
I seem to recall that it happened a couple of years back on Pprune when Flash Player was still Macromedia - it was suggested then that the answer was to install the :mad: program. I like the idea of using something, anything, which doesn't originate with either Macromedia or Adobe.:ugh: Will try to sort it that way. Thanks again and Merry Xmas.:ok: