PDA

View Full Version : One for the Ornithologists

jethro15
20th Dec 2006, 12:21
During the past couple of weeks whilst returning home around 11:30pm and 1am, I've often heard birds singing in a suburban area. It's the same species and you would think it was early morning on a mid summers day. Anyone any idea what they are given the late hour at this time of year?

XXTSGR
20th Dec 2006, 12:22
Nightingales? Do you live anywhere near Berkeley Square?

The SSK
20th Dec 2006, 12:24
You aren't anywhere near Berkeley Square, are you?

edit - note to self, type quicker

ORAC
20th Dec 2006, 12:32
RSPB: Which birds sing at night?

Nightingales, nightjars and corncrakes are known for their nocturnal singing during the spring and summer, but in winter they migrate to Africa. Other, more common birds such as song thrushes, dunnocks and, most regularly robins, can be heard singing at night all year round. The robin is the most commonly heard night-time singer in the UK's towns and gardens, especially in winter.

SLFguy
20th Dec 2006, 12:34
It's yer bleedin Chavinches innit.

tony draper
20th Dec 2006, 12:43
Blackbirds oft sing there wee noggins off in the dark just before the dawn,and also late into the night,a tad early in the year though even for yer Blackbird,but who knows what with this global waming the plant kingdom seems to have its timing arse about face so why not the avian world.
:rolleyes:

Foss
20th Dec 2006, 12:46
Probably a Thrush most likely. Robins just fight each other don't really make much noise, at least here anyway.

You want to come to my house and listen to hundreds of pheasants going to bed. How do they go bed, they make a controlled descent into a tree, any tree, then shout about it, a lot. Flipping noisy. Then the crows join in. Then the pigeons have a go as well. Any passing seagull says hello too.

It's even better in the morning when they all wake up.

Or a big eagle thing flies past and they alll nuts together and run away.
Fos bird lover

VH-MTT
20th Dec 2006, 12:46
They sing all day and night long in London, i think the lights confuse them, they think it's dawn at anytime of the night.

You just get used to them. glad i'm leaving the smoke soon.

M.

Maude Charlee
20th Dec 2006, 12:47
It is very common in urban areas due to the high level of light pollution for birds to be fooled into believing it is still daylight, and for them to behave accordingly. It could be almost any species, but if it is birdsong as opposed to just noisy squawking, then I would be inclined to guess at blackbirds.

jethro15
20th Dec 2006, 12:56
Thanks for all the replies.

It's definitely singing or calling one another (very pleasant too) and not squawking. If it is robins, it's one heck of a noise form such small things!

The SSK
20th Dec 2006, 13:05
Could be blackbirds. Each one has an identifiable tune, which could typically last about 10-15 sec. Then you might hear another one in the distance replying.

We had one in the garden, three or four years in a row, which we called Popeye because his tune included the ‘too-too-too-toot, too-toot’. You could sing it to him and he’d sing it back to you.

ShyTorque
20th Dec 2006, 15:13
Robins do often sing at night, if there is artificial light about. It's because they are intensely terriorial and are warning off their rivals, Robin, Robin and Robin. Nightingales aren't in UK all year round, only in the summer.