PDA

View Full Version : Man gets airport in sisters veil!

BORN4THESKYS
20th Dec 2006, 08:37
Does not surprise me Im afraid to say? Any thoughts or opinions on this?:*

Rainboe
20th Dec 2006, 08:39
How did they get an airport into a sister's veil? So does he own it now?

beardy
20th Dec 2006, 08:40
It's all about attention to detail. With more detail I could give it my attention.

Tigs2
20th Dec 2006, 08:57
Born4
We seem to be missing a link or some text, can you re-insert.:ok:

FlyboyUK
20th Dec 2006, 09:02
Think it's supposed to be "Man gets through airport in sisters veil"
link to the story http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/west_yorkshire/6195581.stm

mary_hinge
20th Dec 2006, 09:24
Is this the same Shitester The Government actually tried to deport , but the PC Brigade claimed that he would be in danger in his home country so was allowed to remain!

GOLF_BRAVO_ZULU
20th Dec 2006, 09:42
To be a danger to everyone here; the Police in particular!

boogie-nicey
20th Dec 2006, 09:55
Makes me sick, the guy hasn't pick pocketed someone or left behind a trail of unpaid parking tickets, his alleged crime was far more serious than that. Why don't they go after him and seek him out back in Somalia. Then again I doubt the police would get any assistance from the Somalian government anyway so an extremely difficult task becomes an impossible one.

Doesn't say much about our so called security and the big experts on security that just want to impose themselves on the travelling public and renew their contracts with the government.

We're just in the middle of all this crap.

Thor Nogson
20th Dec 2006, 10:04
There seems to be no real evidence that this is what has happened.

Maybe he got out of the country a different way, or maybe he is still here.

Maybe another theory should be that he swam the channel to get out of the country. Have they checked the local goose fat sales?

TN

Max Pointers
20th Dec 2006, 10:32
Actually he most likely left through LGW and the security staff were so interested in confiscating his nail clippers and gold fountain pen, with matching toothpick, that they did not notice him scratching his testicals.

SLFguy
20th Dec 2006, 11:11
Actually he most likely left through LGW and the security staff were so interested in confiscating his nail clippers and gold fountain pen, with matching toothpick, that they did not notice him scratching his testicals.

Now if someone, private or media, says anything derogatory about the aviation profession, all hell breaks loose on here...about another group of people it appears to be ok to make completely unfounded, non-sensical stupid remarks. Am I suprised...on here?..no, not any more.

Andy_S
20th Dec 2006, 11:13

Perhaps the security staff didn't know what "testicals" were?

Tigs2
20th Dec 2006, 11:15
The PC brigade in Birmingham (UK) allowed a woman to take her driving test fully veiled, AND! they have allowed her to have her photo on her driving licence - fully veiled. Thats a good photo ID then:mad: Its probably a bloke going round taking the driving test for his wives sisters and cousins.

bad credit
20th Dec 2006, 11:20
If you dont like it why continue to visit pprune. Does your own profession have its own forum you could contribute too instead?

BORN4THESKYS
20th Dec 2006, 11:35
Hi all, it is indeed supposed to be "man gets through airport in sisters veil", apologies for the incorrectly inserted title. Would have edited the title but not the best on the computers to be honest gents/ladys.:ok:

AnotherRedWineThanks
20th Dec 2006, 11:54
As a humble SLF I can only say that if you all flew like you spelt, I'd be long dead. Please don't criticise until you know the difference between 'to' and 'too'. It's kind of like the difference between 'up' and 'down' - is that kind of stuff important to you pilotey people?

SLFguy
20th Dec 2006, 11:58
If you dont like it why continue to visit pprune. Does your own profession have its own forum you could contribute too instead?

Hehe...it's my ball and I'm not playing with you. :hmm:

My profession is (a) nothing to do with you, and (b) irrelevant to the argument.

I am simply stating that there are some people on here who fail to give the respect to others that they expect themselves. :hmm:

You have failed to see said point so one doubts very much you can appreciate it either..:rolleyes:

btw...get yourself a PT

bad credit
20th Dec 2006, 12:05
A great post red wine. Thanks for the spelling lesson. Lucky i'm a pilot and not a school teacher. Think i'll have the flying thing sorted now.... Cheers

O'Neill No6
20th Dec 2006, 12:08
Operating through Sharjah last year. It was during the Hajj pilgrimage. Women were being checked through immigration whilst wearing Burkas! In other words immigration were checking their passport against a face and photograph that could not be seen!

It would be like going through security with a crash helmet on.

I was stopped and interrogated (in full uniform) at said Sharjah last week because they wanted to know why I had a headset (my own Bose ANC). I was trailed all around the airport until somebody said it was OK. My crew couldn't believe what they put me through.

Ah yes, but a "woman" going through Sharjah in a Biurka, and during Hajj season with only her eyes visible? that's OK is it?

I will put money down now that the said murderer escaped our country because our security staff wouldn't want to be seen to challenge a 'lady" in a veil for fear of repercussions.

This country needs to wake up to the practicalities of security. I can't go through security in "disguise", therefore nobody else should.

lasernigel
20th Dec 2006, 12:22
Having lived in the Middle East for two and a half years and in my last job travelled there a lot,I know that the bounds are put there in a lot of cases by sharia law.However the reason for any head covering is to stop the males seeing said female.Couldn't someone in this country with a bit of common sense in security make a screened off area where women with headcovering can go and be screnned by female security staff,it is done in certain M.E. countries.Hey it's not rocket science and would stop gits like this one escaping justice.

AnotherRedWineThanks
20th Dec 2006, 12:23
Thank you, Bad Credit, for a most generous response, I'll try to move on to the issues that are important. The problem O'Neill 6 raises is real and could be easily addressed if only there was the political will - e.g. well screened areas with staff of the same sex and religion as the traveller, and no doubt other solutions. The cost would be trivial when compared with the cost of preventing pilots taking their nail clippers on board that would end up next to the axe in the cockpit. (I'm a SLF - have you REALLY got an axe in there?). Pilots, passengers, politicians - I know who I blame.

High Wing Drifter
20th Dec 2006, 12:37
I suspect this story is total BS and made up as an easy way to explain how the Police lost their man and ready to eat for the general public's need to get het up about something or other.

Like many other wanted people, he more than likely just strolled on through and departed.

Andy_S
20th Dec 2006, 12:47
Couldn't someone in this country with a bit of common sense in security make a screened off area where women with headcovering can go and be screnned by female security staff,it is done in certain M.E. countries.Hey it's not rocket science and would stop gits like this one escaping justice.
That's exactly what they do! Trouble is, only a random selection of veiled 'women' leaving the UK are screened in this way.

verticalhold
20th Dec 2006, 12:50
HWD,

Don't be too sure. PCness in this country has led to a climate of fear. Few people have a lower opinion of airport security than me, but fear of losing your job through upsetting a "minority" is now rife. Most security staff would never work again with a gross misconduct employment tag for racism, or any of the other accusations which could be levelled.

Personally I'm sick of sticking my shoes through the x-ray machine (thanks Teeside), having my flightbag searched and my identity questioned every day and watching veiled ladies passing through without question. If a nutter dresses as a woman, gets through security and gets onto my aircraft I am personally going to rip the face off and p:mad: in the eyesockets of the airport management and security team who let it happen.

We are in a crisis because politicians lied to us, and then sold our national pride and safety to the guardianistas:ugh:

BALLSOUT
20th Dec 2006, 12:59
Having lived in the Middle East for two and a half years and in my last job travelled there a lot,I know that the bounds are put there in a lot of cases by sharia law.However the reason for any head covering is to stop the males seeing said female.Couldn't someone in this country with a bit of common sense in security make a screened off area where women with headcovering can go and be screnned by female security staff,it is done in certain M.E. countries.Hey it's not rocket science and would stop gits like this one escaping justice.

This would involve spending even more money on pampering to these minority groups.
In my book, if you need or want to travel, you should be prepared to show your face when needing to be identified. This is the law of the land.
If any person or persons for what ever reason cannot or will not abide by this, then they should not be allowed to travel.
I expect the death threats will follow! The world is going mad.

BORN4THESKYS
20th Dec 2006, 13:03
Will be interesting to see if the security arrangements improves when Turkey no doubt joins the EU, will there be any improvements? :*

Juud
20th Dec 2006, 13:40
BORN4THESKYS, what a singularly obscure post. :confused:
Is there something you are trying (and failing) to imply, or is it just a random spurt of shallow thought?

I flew in and out of Turkey regularly from 2000 until 2005. Security at Istanbul is efficient, courteous and thorough.

Compare that to the shambles of inefficiency, harassment and ineptitude displayed at for example the majority of UK airports, and I'd say that the general EU standard of so called 'security' :ugh: will most certainly be improved by the addition of Turkey.

This quite apart from the fact that I personally find your question irrelevant and idiotic.

lexxity
20th Dec 2006, 14:23
I call BS. This guy has left the country by air? So he has had to check in first. The check in agent would have had to check the passengers face against the passport before actually checking him in.

Sorry but this sounds like a good "leak" to divert attention.

hobie
20th Dec 2006, 16:07
Couldn't someone in this country with a bit of common sense in security make a screened off area where women with headcovering can go and be screnned by female security staff,it is done in certain M.E. countries.Hey it's not rocket science and would stop gits like this one escaping justice.

Since when did Common sense have anything to do with U.K. Airport security ...... :confused:

An ATC guy was only telling me yesterday he was stopped by security on the Airport approach road ......

You'r going somewhere arn't you sir ....

that's amazing, my buddie replied .... how did you know that, he asked ....

years of experience sir, years of experience ....

so where are you going the security man asked? .....

up to the Golf Club, the ATC'er replied ....... :p

(a true story)

El Grifo
20th Dec 2006, 16:09
Ties up nicely with my post of some time ago, pointing out that the burka had been banned completely in the 100% Isamic republic of the Maldives of all places, after several crimes were commited in the capital Male, by blokes dressed up in the full garb, disgused completely and totally unrecognisable.

If this press story is to be believed, it probably was not the first and certainly not the last incident of this type.

The writing is writ large on the wall, and nobody is doing a damned thing about it :ugh:

Diatryma
20th Dec 2006, 21:04
Even if they checked this guy out - and got him to lift hie veil - would they be sure he was not his sister?

If you apply the theory of natural selection to the wearing of the burka.........it might be getting harder to tell the difference???

Di :\

Max Pointers
20th Dec 2006, 21:28
There are some advantages to wearing a niqab how else could our Foreign Secretary hope to have a bit of rumpy pumpy, that's why she has not campaigned to ban it.

Blacksheep
21st Dec 2006, 00:39
Come through the airport here in a veil and you'd have to lift it.
In front of everybody.
It'd be OK to keep the hair and neck covered though.
The Department of Religious Affairs doesn't like veils. Deviationist they call it.
(Meetings of the OIC must be very interesting, eh? All getting along nicely are we?)

Its not just Muslim women who cover their faces though. Remember SARs? Airports were full of people wearing face masks.

I'm allergic to tree pollen, especially mango trees. Well, the mango trees were in flower and I suffered a sudden sneezing fit. Boy! Was that fun! Me sitting at the gate alone, while a mob of mask wearing travellers peered out at me from behind the pillars at the far end of the concourse.

Airports. Places where the strange and ridiculous becomes normal. I'm amazed Terry Pratchett hasn't written a book about airport life yet...

Al Fakhem
21st Dec 2006, 02:35
[quote=lexxity;3029723]I call BS. This guy has left the country by air? So he has had to check in first. The check in agent would have had to check the passengers face against the passport before actually checking him in.
[quote]

You could always have someone else checking in for you.

There is only one solution: no veiled or masked persons in areas with high security concerns, such as banks, airports, aircraft. If anyone is so religious as to be offended by this reasonable requirement, let them to the travelling in spirit.

ShyTorque
21st Dec 2006, 05:09
I now wear a veil whilst driving, because of those front facing speed cameras.

(When I'm not wearing either the Tony Blair or John Prescott masks or the crash helmet, of course).

tony draper
21st Dec 2006, 08:28
One recals a rather pleasantly plump Egyptian lady in Port Said, she wore nowt but veils but they was all see through.:E

lexxity
21st Dec 2006, 08:33
Al, if it was an international flight the passport would have been checked again against the passenger.

I totally agree that veils should be banned in airports, banks, etc.

JamesT73J
21st Dec 2006, 10:40
Would retina recognition technology put a stop to this?

El Grifo
21st Dec 2006, 10:47
Common sense would be a tad cheaper :suspect:

Capt. Queeg
21st Dec 2006, 11:02
I flew in and out of Turkey regularly from 2000 until 2005. Security at Istanbul is efficient, courteous and thorough.Must've been their off-day then. I recently passed through Istanbul as a passenger and found the Turkish variety of airport rent-a-cop/police academy drop-out to be obnoxious, lackadaisical and randomly inefficient, as per the international formula.

They wanted my laptop out for inspection but not my wife's and OK'ed my triple D-cell, skull-crushing maglite after initially wanting to confiscate it, because I told them, "I'm a pilot."

Mr Denham, who chairs the Home Affairs Select Committee, said the UK could not send asylum seekers back to countries "where they are likely to be killed or tortured".
"It is one of the things that marks us out as part of the club of civilised countries and we have to live with some of the really bad consequences of that, as well as the fact it enables us to hold our heads up," he said.

As more and more of our good friends from Mustaf's part of the world and other similarly wonderful regions come to the civilsed countries, that club will grow smaller and smaller.

Tricky Woo
21st Dec 2006, 11:17
Seem to remember Robbie Coltrane got rumbled when disguised as a nun when he left the loo seat up after going for a slash. Maybe Gatwick could do loo seat sweeps to catch these muslim drag artistes.

Takes a bit of thought to impersonate a lady, although most ladies seem to take it for granted. Some ladies are certainly not ladies. I always enjoyed playing with unladylike ladies. Someone once told me that the perfect woman was a perfect lady on her feet and a perfect whore on her back. Lot to be said for that.

Back to the thread... yet more ranting about veils, muslims, turbans and other stuff wot makes them different to us and therefore dangerous. Have fun folks.

TW

flyingbug
21st Dec 2006, 12:16
Tricky,

please come back from Zurich; you're missing all the fun at security here............:} :} :}

FB

Al Fakhem
22nd Dec 2006, 03:25
Al, if it was an international flight the passport would have been checked again against the passenger.

Precislely not, as the problem appears to be this (apologies for a direct quote from a newspaper, but it is relevant):

The Times has learnt that British immigration officers rarely carry out a visual check to match a passport photograph with a departing female passengerís veiled face.

:ugh: :ugh: :ugh:

lexxity
22nd Dec 2006, 08:55
No, it would have been checked by the airline staff before he was allowed to board.
There are very few exit immigration checks but the airlines have to check.

moggiee
27th Jan 2010, 22:52
The PC brigade in Birmingham (UK) allowed a woman to take her driving test fully veiled, AND! they have allowed her to have her photo on her driving licence - fully veiled.
A little research would show this to be complete bollocks.

Think about it - who processes driving licences in the UK? Not the local council (Birmingham in this case) but the DVLA in Swansea. Licence applications are done by post and the local council are not involved at any stage. An extensive search on the internet finds no documentary evidence to back up this nonsense.

< personal attacks not welcome on this forum, you are banned from posting on this thread >

Apologies for resurrecting an old thread but it came up in a google search.

421dog
27th Jan 2010, 23:47
Have you all changed the widely-reported policy which allows dagger-carrying Sikhs airside as ground staff?
Until you have, you have utterly no claim to inclusion among reasonable people.

Loose rivets
28th Jan 2010, 03:40
Excuse me. Am I missing something . . . like 4 years odd? One is confused.

charliegolf
28th Jan 2010, 08:02
Couldn't someone in this country with a bit of common sense in security make a screened off area where women with headcovering can go and be screnned by female security staff

..... or, simply say, "Take it off, or [email protected] off. Simples." That's what would happen if I turned up with dark sunglasses on.

CG

Firestorm
28th Jan 2010, 08:21
CG. I heartily agree. :)

Checkboard
28th Jan 2010, 09:11
No, it would have been checked by the airline staff before he was allowed to board.
There are very few exit immigration checks but the airlines have to check.UK checks on exiting passports were abandoned in 2004. At most UK ports and airports passports need to be presented at check-in, whether or not there is also a check operated by UK immigration however this is simply a check that the person dropping off the bags and picking up the boarding card is the correct person - who is not necessarily the same as the person travelling.

Frankly, due to the UK's ahhh unique policy on boarder control - this guy didn't need a veil! He could have swanned through bear-headed and no UK authority would be the wiser.

mickjoebill
28th Jan 2010, 11:42
BBC journalist John Simpson slipped into Bagdad dressed as a local gal..., mind you, he had the figure for it :)

Mickjoebill

lexxity
28th Jan 2010, 13:02
Checkers - What I meant and phrased badly, several years ago, was that if the man in question was attempting to board an aircraft leaving the UK he would have had to present himself and his passport to the gate staff. Now even the most cursory glance would go, burka, bloke in picture, wtf? :confused:

ThreadBaron
28th Jan 2010, 14:14
Checkers

boarder-control = border-control?

bear-headed = bare-headed?

Does it matter, though 'cos they both made sense in context! How do you do that?

boarder-control = passport check on boarding.

bear-headed = carrying a post-intoxication, brain-banging head-ache.
:ok::ok:

Captain Stable
28th Jan 2010, 14:18
No, no, no.

Bear-headed is this:-
http://pictureisunrelated.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/06/wtf-pics-care-bear-toilets.jpg

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2012/2374972663_965b63b580.jpg?v=0

Gentleman Jim
28th Jan 2010, 15:03
moggiee

What a zealous chap to be bringing threads out of the archive just to prove a point and make yourself feel better. If you would also have done a bit of research as I just did you would see that the poster you refer to has not posted for 2 years, so your comment aimed at him/her is utterly futile. What a waste of bandwidth that was.

Gentleman Jim

Checkboard
28th Jan 2010, 17:52
Maybe they've spent two years lurking - miffed that their thread died! :ok: