PDA

View Full Version : Shane Warne retires

Capt. Queeg
20th Dec 2006, 07:15
Having disassembled the poms, Shane Warne has announced his retirement from international cricket, "effective from the end of the Sydney Test."

"Warne will almost certainly take his 700th Test wicket at his home ground, the Melbourne Cricket Ground, during the forthcoming Boxing Day Test"

Good onya Warnie. :ok:

Howard Hughes
20th Dec 2006, 07:26
At least now he'll be able to concentrate on drinking, text messages and well, you know...;)

700 wickets what a great achievement!:D

cessna l plate
20th Dec 2006, 07:56
What a gentleman. Why couldn't fatty Warne have retired before we went to Oz !!!!!!

Buster Hyman
20th Dec 2006, 09:45
Perhaps the lack of match stress will enable the last of his natural hair to remain!:hmm:

Well done Warnie! Just think how ratshit yer body would've been if you played AFL!!!:eek: And how many more wickets you'd have taken without that year off!

Arm out the window
20th Dec 2006, 10:03
He does a TV ad over here that goes something like:
'The thing that worries me most isn't a terrible injury to my spinning finger, it's hair loss!'
Bloody hell, Warney, you're a weird one, if a freakily gifted bowler.

Whiskery
20th Dec 2006, 10:07
I will wager a slab of Boddingtons he makes himself available for the 2009 Ashes defence.:E :ok:

Krystal n chips
20th Dec 2006, 17:16
"Warne will almost certainly take his 700th Test wicket at his home ground, the Melbourne Cricket Ground, during the forthcoming Boxing Day Test"

Good onya Warnie. :ok:

I like the almost "taken for granted assumption" that he will ----although in his case I think it's a reasonable bet however :D

Shame to see him go though. As a cricketer and spin bowler, he's got nothing to prove after all--I've always enjoyed watching him :ok:

As a person-----:confused: ---a rather different matter however--sadly.

So, how will the Aussies adjust without somebody who could always be relied on to get the wickets and do his job extremely well ?.

Quite a large hole in the Aussie attack soon it would seem----unless our Oz friends know otherwise of course ?.

haughtney1
20th Dec 2006, 17:22
Love him or hate him.....we have been privileged to witness the greatest attacking bowler ply his trade in the modern era. Just imagine for a moment that he wasn't suspended for a year, he may well have been closing in on 750 test wickets.
I've only ever seen him bested by a batsman 3 or 4 times in his career....the guy is simply a legend, and thats from me a New Zealander.

hobie
20th Dec 2006, 17:26
I think Warnie should be cremated at the end of the next two matches in the series and his ashes given to that $$$$ Umpire who screwed up the England-Pakistan summer series, as a retirement present ........ :p

VFE
20th Dec 2006, 18:42
Yup, true real-life living sporting legend. He is up there with the likes of Phil Taylor in darts and Micheal Schumaker in F1.

Remember when the Sport wanted to hire an aircraft towing a banner with "Bog off Fatboy" for a flight over a test match once?! :}

Classic quote:

"Shane, why are you so fat?"

"Cuz everytime I f**k ya missus she gives me a biscuit!" :D

VFE.

reynoldsno1
20th Dec 2006, 19:50
sporting legend. He is up there with the likes of Phil Taylor in darts
sport and darts??? .... and I've never heard of Phil Taylor .... (sorry if I missed some irony here)
mind you, I've seen snooker, pool and poker listed as "sports" as well.....:ugh:

NIGELINOZ
20th Dec 2006, 20:19
He has not announced anything yet!the media speculation arises from a leak from within cricket australia circles,there is talk that he will hold a press conference today to announce his retirement but there is also speculation that he may not be playing in the Melbourne test.
Lets change the title of the thread to Shane Warne May Announce Retirement:p

Howard Hughes
20th Dec 2006, 20:21
Shane is a Melbournian, there is no way he would miss a test at the MCG!:ok:

I actuallly wonder if it is a ploy by Cricket Australia to get rid of some of the older players, leak it to the media and let them sway the minds of the players....

Glen McGrath's name has also been mentioned, but not much said about that!

phnuff
20th Dec 2006, 20:27
Phew, the Aussie cricket team will suddenly look beatable again!!

A Great, Great bowler who should have been been English

NIGELINOZ
20th Dec 2006, 20:29
McGrath's management deny any decision has been made about his playing future,the talk about Warnie missing Melbourne stems from a remark he made on radio after the win in Perth,he joked about possibly missing the next match because Symonds gave him a bear hug after the win and it really hurt,although you would think he would have enough "padding" aroung that area!

VFE
20th Dec 2006, 20:36
sport and darts??? .... and I've never heard of Phil Taylor .... (sorry if I missed some irony here)
mind you, I've seen snooker, pool and poker listed as "sports" as well.....:ugh:
11 times World Champion no less.

http://www.philthepower.com/

Have a butchers!

VFE.

bmibaby.com
20th Dec 2006, 20:38
My initial reaction to this was, Shayne Ward's retiring (last year's X Factor winner) and being met with shock as I didn't know he'd done any work in some time. So a cricketer is retiring ... :uhoh:

NIGELINOZ
21st Dec 2006, 04:01
It is now confirmed that he will retire after the Sydney test when Australia wins the series 5-0.
On ya Warnie,Well Played :)

Krystal n chips
21st Dec 2006, 08:10
Couple of interesting comments on last nights C4 news about this from various Aussies. One ( and I'm not starting a "best spinner ever bun fight here-ok ) compared him to another legend---Lance Gibbs--who was certainly a formidable exponent of the art. The other was from Merv Hughes---lamenting the fact that once Warne came along---nobody wanted to be a quick any more---they all wanted to be spinners. There again, finesse was always an alien concept to Merv I suppose ;)

CoodaShooda
21st Dec 2006, 08:13
Says a lot for the perseverence of Cap'n Grumpy and the selectors that they kept him on after his first couple of Tests left him with 1 wicket and a bowling average around 330.:eek:

As for the character of the man, he was sent home from an U/19 carnival for misbehaving. Obviously not a lesson learned.

I'll miss him because he made leg spinning reputable again. Only wish he'd come along 10 years earlier and influenced the captains I played under :E

I wonder if McGill will get a chance to add to his 195ish Test wickets or are we returning to the age of the Offspinner?

Capt.Grumpy
21st Dec 2006, 10:50
Thanks Cooda, nice to be appreciated. :} :} :ok: