PDA

View Full Version : New Zealand helicopter pilots / company's

lowflyer2000
19th Dec 2006, 19:05
My wife and I are planning a motorcycle trip to NZ in Jan 08 and this is the best site to place my questions. This is our first time in that part of the world, would love to try and arrange a "sight seeing" flight! Can anybody direct me to a reputable company / pilot for such a flight?
BTW, if anyone on this forum is planning a trip to southern Ontario, Canada, I'd be more than happy to give you an "aerial view"!!!

Hughesy
19th Dec 2006, 19:36
Hi lowflyer2000
Where abouts in New Zealand are you planning to go?
There are plenty of good operators/pilots all over the place. And every area in NZ is unique and well worth going for a fly to view it.
I hope you enjoy your tip down here! :ok:

Hughesy

Scissorlink
19th Dec 2006, 19:58
Lowflyer2000,

Head to Queenstown and fly with HELIWORKS...try and get across into Big Bay and down through Milford Sound..Another option is TE ANUA and Fly with Richard Hayes outfit SOUTHERN LAKES HELICOPTERS, Head into the depths of Fiordland...pretty mind blowing scenery

Have fun

SL

lowflyer2000
19th Dec 2006, 21:25
The motorcycle tour goes from Auckland to Christchurch. Starts Jan 25th and ends Feb 7th 2008. My wife and I plan on going to NZ a few days earlier, possibly staying in AUZ a few days before / after the NZ trip. Really looking forward to going "down under".
In 1970, flew with the Australian Navy boys during a tour in South Viet Nam while in the US ARMY. Unit was called 135TH AHC - EMU's (Experimental Military Unit). Approx. half RAN and half US Army. I was the only Canadian (too long of a story for this forum). Always wanted to go to that part of the world so am very excited about it. :D

noooby
20th Dec 2006, 04:50
Mate, you should seriously think about extending your holiday if it finishes in Christchurch, as the great scenery is only just beginning!! Go further south and west for a great time. Take lots of camera batteries!!!!!

No Speed
20th Dec 2006, 06:00
Hi lowflyer2000,
We're just back from New Zealand after spending the best part of 4 weeks travelling around the south island. Definitely agree with Scissorlink about heading to Queenstown and Milford Sound. We flew with a company called Milford Sound Scenic Flights (www.milfordflights.co.nz) and the trip was fantastic. It started with a 30-40min heli flight out to Milford in a Helicopter Line AS355,followed by a 2.5hr cruise around Milford Sound,ending in a 30min flight in a Cessna207 back to Queenstown.
Also used a Helicopter Line AS350 to get dropped off on Fox Glacier on the west coast,very touristy but the flight and scenery is well worth it.
Have also heard that Wanaka Helicopters and their Chief Pilot,Simon Spencer-Bower are very good. Wanaka is north of Queenstown and the scenery is out of this world!
I've got some video clips and brochures from the trip if you need any more info.
NoSpeed

bellsux
20th Dec 2006, 06:45
If you make it to Nowra a couple of hours drive (or ride in your case) south of Sydney the have quite a display on the 135th EMU unit at the Naval Aviation Museum... and if you do go down with a bike take the coastal roads rather than the highways a great trip in itself.

wildpudding
20th Dec 2006, 07:13
Motorbikes and flying, great combination. I'm into bikes too(have a Suzuki GSXR 250), and I'm currently studying to be a flight instructor at the local aero club in New Plymouth(about 5hrs drive down from Auckland). If you're interested you could take a scenic flight in a C172 arund here, theres a mountain close by and other cool things to look at. Worth looking into anyway.

Oh and I highly recommend getting to Queenstown at some stage, I flew down there in a C152 a few months ago, and the only word I can describe the scenery there is...stunning. Very cool.

Check out www.kiwibiker.co.nz (http://www.kiwibiker.co.nz) for some bikey info.

Stefan

lowflyer2000
20th Dec 2006, 23:50
Thanks everyone for the responses. I've got a year to get things in order so, keep the suggestions coming. All of them wonderful ides.
If we were to travel "on our own" to the southern part of the south Island, what problems / suggestions with regards to accommodations i.e. not booked in advance etc?

squirrel350
21st Dec 2006, 02:49
Hey a Great flight to do is from Hamilton to Hamilton stopping in Taupo and Rotorua we did the flight last week taking the 222 to taupo then an AS350 to Rotorua and then home to Hamilton there are a few companies in the area that could tailor the package to what you want but I can definately recommend this beautiful scenic area leaving Taupo for Rotorua is wicked flying over the geo-thermal areas and like everyone else has said surely take a trip in NZQN all the best if you want any more company info or questions just send me a PM more than happy to answer any Q's.

Dis-Mystery of Lift
21st Dec 2006, 02:55
LF,
PM me and I can give you details and a special PPrune price :ok: for anything around Auckland.

DML

Gas Producer
24th Dec 2006, 19:25
Low Flyer,
As with DML's offer, PM me and I'd be more than happy to give you a few places of interest that are absolutely stunning, especially with heli or a bike.
GP

TheMonk
25th Dec 2006, 15:20
My wife and I are planning a motorcycle trip to NZ in Jan 08 and this is the best site to place my questions. This is our first time in that part of the world, would love to try and arrange a "sight seeing" flight! Can anybody direct me to a reputable company / pilot for such a flight?
BTW, if anyone on this forum is planning a trip to southern Ontario, Canada, I'd be more than happy to give you an "aerial view"!!!
Sounds like it's gonna be a wonderful trip Lowflyer. I go to Toronto/Niagra once or tiwce a year (I'm in the DC Metro area). Hope you have a wonderful time. :ok:
I'm originally from Laos, fluent in Lao and Thai languages. If you or anyone on this forum ever want to make a Laos, Burma, Thailand and/or Cambodia trip, I'd be happy to be a part of that trip.
Da Monk :)

jr51xx
27th Dec 2006, 12:53
The motorcycle tour goes from Auckland to Christchurch. Starts Jan 25th and ends Feb 7th 2008. My wife and I plan on going to NZ a few days earlier, possibly staying in AUZ a few days before / after the NZ trip. Really looking forward to going "down under".
In 1970, flew with the Australian Navy boys during a tour in South Viet Nam while in the US ARMY. Unit was called 135TH AHC - EMU's (Experimental Military Unit). Approx. half RAN and half US Army. I was the only Canadian (too long of a story for this forum). Always wanted to go to that part of the world so am very excited about it. :D
Wow- I remember the EMU call sign. I flew loaches for 7/1 CAV and took a MX officer out to an EMU UH1 down in the bush with HYD problems. The bad guys were all around them and had already wounded an RVN official on the EMU aircraft by the time I got there. Thanks to a good response from a call on UHF Guard I got plenty of help overhead and the EMU crew were able to get out OK. As I remember the EMUs had a pretty brassy reputation.
I envy you the trip to NZ. It is one of my favorite places and don't stop at Christchurch. Keep going SW!

Aynayda Pizaqvick
27th Dec 2006, 15:48
I think NZ still has the highest number of helis per capita in the world (most for the tourist industry) so you will have no problem finding someone for a sight seeing trip.
I was born and bred in NZ and as much as I loved living in Christchurch, you really do need to get down to the Queenstown/Wanaka/Fiordland area. It's a bit cliche but thats where all the amazing 'Lord of the Rings' scenery is.

skidbiter123
13th Jan 2007, 01:18
PM me for top of the South Island special deal.

EMS R22
13th Jan 2007, 08:16
If your going through the Hawkes Bay area give us a post and ill look after you .:ok: :ok: :ok: :ok: :ok: :ok: :ok:

Hughesy
13th Jan 2007, 17:53
If you pop over to the West Coast of the South Island, The Glaciers are pretty impressive to fly over! If you want details PM me!
Hughesy

lowflyer2000
13th Jan 2007, 20:41
JR..

Sorry it took so long to reply. Tell me a little more of you're "EMU Experience"!! What year did this happen and what location?? Who knows. I might have been involved?? 1970 was my tour year!

LF:ok: