PDA

View Full Version : Transport in the Falklands

Mogwi
19th Dec 2006, 17:29
I am heading South to the FI with my wife in Feb. I plan to do the standard tours but also want to get to some of the Arg aircraft wreckage for which I was responsible in '82.

Some of these are a bit out of the way - Shag Cove on W Falkland (2 x Puma + 1 x 109) and Hammond Point in Lafonia (1 x A4). Unfortunately 2 x Skyhawks ended up in Choiseul Sound and I'm not bringing SCUBA gear! Due to the remote locations, a ride in a Helo would be a distinct advantage. Anyone got a contact? Will buy beer.

Tourist
19th Dec 2006, 19:49
There is always FIGAS

hobie
19th Dec 2006, 19:59
Some light reading here ....

http://www.falklandislands.com/tourism/travelling.asp

airborne_artist
19th Dec 2006, 20:34
Write to the Captain of HMS Endurance and see if you can hitch a ride with her! She normally does two periods in the FI each summer, either side of a trip to the Antarctic peninsular.

My old man drove her 78-80 (different hull, same name). I'm sure he'd have been happy to help, but he's gone to the great bridge in the sky.

extpwron
19th Dec 2006, 21:05
Try these guys. Get the wife to make the initial contact!

http://www.raf.mod.uk/squadrons/h78.html

Feneris
19th Dec 2006, 21:36
Google 'Patrick Watts MBE', he does tours around the Falklands, battlefield as well as nature (Penguins) etc. Very good.

Razor61
19th Dec 2006, 22:42
Write to the Captain of HMS Endurance and see if you can hitch a ride with her! She normally does two periods in the FI each summer, either side of a trip to the Antarctic peninsular.
My old man drove her 78-80 (different hull, same name). I'm sure he'd have been happy to help, but he's gone to the great bridge in the sky.

I'd hurry up then cause Endurance, along with Oakleaf, Brambleleaf and Bediviere are among the shortlist which includes all four type 22s and two type 42s that are up for 'cutting' according to Janes Defence in very recently released news.
:ugh:

vecvechookattack
19th Dec 2006, 23:00
Oakleaf....
Brambleleaf...
Sir B...? Good bloomin riddance..... Those ships are sooooo old...isn't Sir B nearing 50 yrs old....

Shame to see the Endurance go though although why the RN has any sort of Droggy role whatsoever always beats me. We shouldn't be measuring how deep the ocean is....we shoud be rescuing people and capturing hearts and minds (in between shooting missiles and killing people)

You could also try the Commanding Officer, HMS Edinburgh....she sailed in October for the FI's

Spurlash2
19th Dec 2006, 23:09
Speak to the HeliTasking office...Nicely! Ext 5403.

They can sort most things, courtesy of 78 Sqn (SeaKing)and British International (S61).

allan907
19th Dec 2006, 23:46
Or get your posting changed to MOD. Once there think up a good reason for a staff visit (for me it was food and accommodation charges) and then the good people in theatre will lay on a 10 day guided tour with helos, ships, and them thingies that used to plough up the peat getting up to Mount Kent.

It was a hard life in MOD but someone had to do it :E

airborne_artist
20th Dec 2006, 06:09
VVCA "Shame to see the Endurance go though although why the RN has any sort of Droggy role whatsoever always beats me."

Knowledge is power. Despite the wonders of satellite imagery, you can't look under the water very far, and the greatest threat to any vessel, on the surface or submerged, comes from a submarine. The droggies don't just swing a lead, they measure water temp. all the way down to the sea bed, and as a rotary boy you must know that sonar is affected changes in temp of the water. If you know where the layers are likely to be you can use (and probably hide) your assets more effectively.

And that's just one reason - there are more, but I'd have to kill you as soon as I told you :E

GPMG
20th Dec 2006, 08:17
I'd hurry up then cause Endurance, along with Oakleaf, Brambleleaf and Bediviere are among the shortlist which includes all four type 22s and two type 42s that are up for 'cutting' according to Janes Defence in very recently released news.
:ugh:

Bedivere is going? Thats a shame, thats the first ship I did any time on. Ex Dragonhammer in 92. Bloody awfull trip, I got charged twice.

Wycombe
20th Dec 2006, 09:14
Get out to Pebble Island (where the hooligans first came ashore in '82) if you can, there were still plenty of bits of Pucara and Skyvan etc. scattered about the airfield when I was there last about 6 years ago. The HMS Coventry memorial there is also worth a visit.

When I was there the Brintel S61's were doing R&R trips there at the weekends.There's a nice Hotel/Guest House on the Island if you want to nightstop and I think the FIGAS Islanders call in there aswell (in the S61, it was about a 1hr transit from MPA IIRC, with great views).

Also, places like Goose Green, Bluff Cove, Mt. Tumbledown (as well as the metropolis of Stanley of course) are all fairly "easily" driveable from MPA.

Dan Winterland
20th Dec 2006, 09:34
Hi Moggi,

Shag Cove is easy as there is plenty of helo traffic going there (Civ and Mil) as the outbound training r&r centre is there. There's accomodation there and I expect under the special circumstances, you will be welcome.

Lafonia is easy too as it's a drive from Stanley. As you know, it's a bit flat and featureless so a GPS will probably be essential providing you have a lat/long for the wreck. You will need a landrover with bimble tyres. I'm sure they're available - at a price though!

I still haven't bought your book yet. Probably a bit late to ask Santa!

Have a good trip,

Rgds, Dan

GOLF_BRAVO_ZULU
20th Dec 2006, 11:06
Ah, Pebble Island.

http://i111.photobucket.com/albums/n131/Golf_Bravo_Zulu/AIRPEBBLE.jpg

http://i111.photobucket.com/albums/n131/Golf_Bravo_Zulu/AIRPEBBLE2.jpg

The Island is quite big and trekking around on foot can take some time. a very good contact there is:
Mr Raymond Evans
Pebble Island
Falkland Islands
He's a very helpful man and is used to pointing and helping enthusiasts in the right direction. He's got a Land Rover but remember that Benny Benz is expensive.

Most of East Falkland is accessible by Land Rover and you can hire one in Stanley. Don't waste your time trying to borrow one from BFFI as there aren't enough assets to cover HM's business adequately. Accessibility West of Goose Green can be challenging. As far as the Islands are concerned, HELO is the only practical option for the ones not served by FIGAS. Although not much use without diving, if you want to get to the crash locations in Choisaul Sound, make friendly contact with STO(N)FI who operates from JFLU in MPA. Don't let the Austral Winter put you off that time. There are many days when the WX is clear but breezy. Summer is when all the goofers and other assorted rubber necks choose to visit. They are generally a pain in the bum. Also, "out of season", you would have better asset availability and a greater supply of good-will.

Good luck.

Jackonicko
20th Dec 2006, 12:04
If you didn't mind intrusive company, I'd have thought that one of the DPRs ought to be gagging to help out.

Mogwi revisits the scene of his triumphs 25 years on would make great TV - especially if it included some Scuba, and it would be an opportunity for the Forces to highlight what they're doing and achieving down there.

Wee Jock McPlop
20th Dec 2006, 14:36
Concur with the comments about Pebble Island. Its a regular stop-off point, good hotel and nice folks too. Much of the a/c wreckage is a stones throw away from the hotel - so not too much bimbling involved! The wildlife is pretty good as well, but be prepared for long walks.

Good luck,

WJMcP

motley2
20th Dec 2006, 18:21
Yeah, here you go.

Get in touch with the Helicopter Tasking Cell
Mil (9)4130 5429/5403
Civ 005007 5429/5403
Email [email protected]

The only reason I give all of this out is because I am the tasker at the moment!!! So get in touch:bored:

JOE-FBS
24th Jul 2007, 12:30
David Morgan if you are still looking at Prune, thanks for writing your book. I bought it at the FAA museum last week and read it in less than a day. Compelling, fascinating, informative, etc.

Thanks again

Mmmmnice
24th Jul 2007, 16:35
Mogwi - sorry can't help with a lift of any kind. During several spells down south I visited quite a few of the sites and even then there wasn't an awful lot left. There's the remains of a Mirage III tail leaning against the old tower at Odiham (the sqn badge was removed back in 82/83 and the rest was in the SWOs scrap compound for years!) I found that trying to hack an Alpha probe off with a fire axe quite hard work. Good luck with your search - hopefully 78 will be able to help out - just keep the SARboy banter turned down!

R 21
24th Jul 2007, 16:52
The Puma wrecks (at least 1), the one that had a grenade inside has been repaired and flying for the RAF!!!!!:eek:

CirrusF
2nd Dec 2008, 06:35
Get out to Pebble Island (where the hooligans first came ashore in '82) if you can, there were still plenty of bits of Pucara and Skyvan etc. scattered about the airfield when I was there last about 6 years ago. The HMS Coventry memorial there is also worth a visit

Just on the subject of that raid, some might be interested in this photo which I took in the officers mess at Commodore Rivadavia Naval base shortly after the war. It was part of a small exhibition of artificacts and memorabilia recovered by the Argentine navy.

The inscription is a bit difficult to read, but it translates as "boltcroppers used by English (sic) Commandos during their attack and destruction of Pucara Aircraft".

http://i417.photobucket.com/albums/pp254/cirrusf/image0000080A.jpg

diginagain
2nd Dec 2008, 06:51
Great. Now some poor bloke's going to get billed for a pair of boltcroppers that didn't 'accidently fall over the side, guv'.

effects
2nd Dec 2008, 09:10
" There's the remains of a Mirage III tail leaning against the old tower at Odiham "
I think you will find the fin you refer to was in fact off a Mig 21!

Irish Tempest
2nd Dec 2008, 21:41
MoD airfares**

Brize Norton UK to Falkland Islands (economy booking made more than 28 days in advance) £2,218
Brize Norton UK to Falkland Islands (economy booking made less than 28 days in advance) £3,563
Brize Norton UK to Falkland Islands (group booking with more than 6 passengers in group) £1,864
Brize Norton UK to Falkland Islands (premium economy booking) £3,603

**Fares correct as of 31st October 2008
**Fares are quoted in GBP (£), and subject to change without notice
**All fares are per person round-trip to the Falklands
**Airfares include a passenger departure tax of £22
**Airfares subject to availability at time of booking, and actual travel dates
:eek:

MG
3rd Dec 2008, 12:27
There's some good advice here.....and some old stuff!
78 Sqn is now at Benson and has been since Dec last year. Can't quite remember the flt number that the SKs are using but I know that it was the original one that they used when they arrived in theatre.

MountainMetman
9th Dec 2008, 19:14
SAR now 1564 flight.
Most of the signs have been changed, but not all.