PDA

View Full Version : The Precautionary Principle

Choxolate
19th Dec 2006, 10:28
The so called "Precautionary Principle" really gets me pi$$ed off.

What it basically says is that "there is no scientific evidence, but xxxx could happen" so we will spend some huge amount in time, money or disinformation (or all three) trying to stop it.

Examples? MMR "problem", banning DDT (cost millions of lives thru' spread of malaria), GM food, Aluminium saucepans cause Alzheimers, etc etc

What next? um let's try this one for starters - mobile phones emit radio waves, radio waves are a form of radiation, radiation causes cancer, ergo mobile phones cause brain tumours - oh I forgot that one has already been done. Well how about sea water contains salt, salt is made up of sodium and chlorine, chlorine was used as a poison gas ergo swimming in the sea will poison you. I think we should make the Governemt aware of this dreadful danger "on the precautionary principle"

Just where did this "precautionary principle" come from??

Solid Rust Twotter
19th Dec 2006, 11:29
A long-admired principle for use in developing political power is the making of prohibitions, followed by the imposition of charges, fees, etc. to be paid by those who seek favourable exception to the ban.

This provides supplemental taxation that can feed a growing bureaucracy. It also creates an identifiable population of petitioners with need for redress who can be expected to grease political pockets and subsidize agendas which favour their desperation.

The oldest idea of feudal authority was that individuals could have no rights other than those expressly granted by their lords and masters. A spate of revolutions over the years has turned that around to the prevailing contemporary approach where a lofty constitution or similar defines the social contract with an a priori grant of all rights not expressly prohibited, followed by a mile-long and ever-growing list of specificities that are.

Most civilisations are based on cowadice. it is easy to civilize by teaching cowardice. You water down the standards which would lead to bravery. You restrain the will. You regulate the appetites, you fence in the horizons. You make a law for every movement. You deny the existence of chaos. You teach even the children to breathe quietly - You tame.

Gleaned from a couple of sources but it kind of explains things, I reckon.

Choxolate
19th Dec 2006, 11:50
But where did the the use of this pseudo scientific name "The Precautionary Principle" (with capitals) come from. Used as though it were some well accepted scientific concept that was based on rationality rather than being the crock of sh!t it is?

Civis
19th Dec 2006, 17:09
SRT,
Links please for sources of your " Quote ". Yes, it does kinda explain things and I'd like to pursue.

CHOK's,
Where'd you stumble onto this " Precautionary Principle " ~ academia, politics, board room ??

Thanks for responses, C.

matelot
19th Dec 2006, 17:34
... CHOK's,
Where'd you stumble onto this " Precautionary Principle " ~ academia, politics, board room ??...

I suppose it's axiomatic.

reynoldsno1
19th Dec 2006, 18:36
Aluminium saucepans cause Alzheimers

This a new one on me, but where am I, I don't think I know you, I used to have a hamster called Tommy.

matt_hooks
20th Dec 2006, 22:43
Aluminium saucepans cause Alzheimers, etc etc

Well, this is possibly true if you can't help beating yourself over the head with frustration due to all the petty bureaucracy and niggling laws that abound.

Conkers? Not on yer nelly mate, someone might sue me!

School trips, sod that, someone might get hurt!

Peanuts "might contain traces of nuts" welll, no S##T sherlock!

grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr

rant over!

Blacksheep
21st Dec 2006, 01:50
...where am I, I don't think I know you, I used to have a hamster called TommyAlzheimers isn't all that funny, really. Though the person who has the disease isn't too badly affected, its the family that suffers from it.

Dad has Alzheimers and although its true we had aluminium saucepans, Mam isn't affected (not directly, that is) and Gran was as bright as a button until she died, aged 97.

Loose rivets
21st Dec 2006, 05:12
Nothing to lose going the Curcumin route. My medical forum post. " Have I witnessed a miracle?" And in particular, Mac the Knife's posts.

Choxolate
22nd Dec 2006, 10:25
SRT,
CHOK's,
Where'd you stumble onto this " Precautionary Principle " ~ academia, politics, board room ??

Thanks for responses, C.
Politics mostly - e.g. The Govt are temporarily banning the import of poultry meat from XXXX on The Precautionary Principle as XXXX has had 1 confirmed case of bird flu 20 years ago..... or similar.

Grainger
22nd Dec 2006, 11:33
Unbelievably, they're still bleating on about it:

Flu 'could wipe out 62 million' (http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/health/6199717.stm)

The article is peppered with conditional phrases: "...may be imminent...", "...could be triggered by bird flu...", "...strain could mutate...", "...if such an event occurred...".

Yes, and we could all be wiped out by an asteroid or swallowed by a giant space-goat. :rolleyes:

Remember this panic earlier in the year ?

Swan tests confirm deadly virus (http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/4882946.stm)

And the truth ?

"So far there have been only 258 cases of the latest strain of avian flu [causing 153 deaths], H5N1, recorded in humans."

Chesty Morgan
22nd Dec 2006, 11:55
Lets face it. The government are trying to create a state of fear. They want you to be scared, they want you to feel like you need protecting. From everything. And who are the people most able to protect you? Yup, said government and, therefore, we're going to vote for them again because they're averting certain disaster...which of course doesn't really exist.

Fortunately, a lot of us can see through this charade. The trouble is a lot of the population of this country, and others, believe everything they are told.

Personally I've done the complete opposite of the governments thoughtful advice;

1. I ate chicken - No bird flu,
2. I ate beef - No CJD.,
3. I ate eggs, sometimes raw - No salmonella,
4. I use a mobile phone (while driving) - No brain tumour and no crashes,
5. I binge drink - Never been to hospital for alcohol related injuries,
6. I use the same amount of salt I always have - No elevated blood pressure or heart problems, and I don't get cramp!
7. I competed in sports at school, I lost sometimes - I am not bothered.

You get the point.

Oh look, gullible is written on the ceiling.:}

Choxolate
22nd Dec 2006, 14:09
From the UK HSE (Health & Safety Executive)
United Kingdom Interdepartmental Liaison Group on Risk Assessment (UK-ILGRA)

The Precautionary Principle: Policy and Application

"The Precautionary Principle should be invoked when .... a scientific evaluation of the consequences and likelihoods reveals such uncertainty that it is impossible to assess the risk with sufficient confidence to inform decision-making"

WHAT!!! - this translates into English as "If there is no evidence then do it any way". Feckwits.