PDA

View Full Version : Extended warranty on your electrical purchases???

Jerricho
19th Dec 2006, 01:50
In this time of spending money on you loved ones to make up for being an asshat all year........

This makes for some interesting reading (http://www.consumerreports.org/cro/personal-finance/news/november-2006/why-you-dont-need-an-extended-warranty-11-06/overview/extended-warranty-11-06.htm)

Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaargh!
19th Dec 2006, 02:21
I haven't read the (non you tube) link, but I never buy the warranties. That's how they stay in business, advertise a low price to bring 'em in and then upsell the waranty to get the price the item should be anyway.

I just look 'em in the eyes and ask "What are you expecting this item to break? Perhaps I should go elsewhere"

Jerricho
19th Dec 2006, 02:40
Do your door to door fruit sales ladies offer you the extended warranty as well?

Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaargh!
19th Dec 2006, 04:16
You know, I still haven't read it :=

Loose rivets
19th Dec 2006, 05:18
I just look 'em in the eyes and ask "What are you expecting this item to break? Perhaps I should go elsewhere"

The clock on the mantlepiece? The gramophone? Just how violent is this item?:uhoh:

vapilot2004
19th Dec 2006, 05:57
Go for the Apple extended warranty, by all means!
A repair bill on anything with the Apple logo will definitely 'get your attention' - not unlike an unscheduled Mercedes garage visit. :}

No matter the brand or type of device, the thieving ba:mad:rds have been known to wriggle out of coverage at times - claiming power surge or physical abuse as the cause leaving one out in the contractual cold.

One store I know of will ask you about the warranty before pulling your item from the back. I often wonder if they have a shelf of kicked, dropped and abused items for the non-takers. :suspect:

tinpis
19th Dec 2006, 06:05
I wonder if in the very near future if not NOW its become uneconomical to repair ANYTHING?
Its pretty near impossible here to get anyone to repair goods under warranty or not so the idea is to buy the best for $ and throw it away when all the white smoke comes out.

Krystal n chips
19th Dec 2006, 07:03
I found this link last year-----it's a bit old but still relevant and worth a read.

http://www.warrantyweek.com/archive/ww20030310.html

eal401
19th Dec 2006, 07:25
I nearly bought a PC base unit from Coment a few years ago. Stock was checked and it was brought out and then the salesman said "Right, now we'll talk about the warranty." I was adamant I didn't want it, he virtually convinced me that I was about to spend several hundred pounds on something that would almost instantly fail.

Needless to say, I left empty handed.

Duckbutt
19th Dec 2006, 09:18
One apparently often successful strategy which can be used is to take the store's extended warranty, negotiate the bottom line down with the salesman (they will take any conession off the price of the item not the warranty as thats where they make more money) then after delivery, under your cooling off rights cancel and get the full cost of the warranty back.

SyllogismCheck
19th Dec 2006, 10:57
I don't see the need myself and have never paid for one. Afterall, in the UK at least, the sale of goods act gives you as much if not more come-back than the exclude-all small print conditions of any warranty are likely to.

Case in point was a small digital camera I bought last November. This March I went for a day out in London, stuck the camera in my pocket, then found the LCD display was cracked when I took it out to take a photo.
The next day I took it back to the store where I'd purchased it. They ummm'd and ahhh'd suggesting physical damage wasn't covered under the standard, free warranty terms. I insisted they send it off anyway.
Sure enough, a few days later, I get a letter - "Sorry. Physical damage; not covered. We can replace the screen for £70." So I write a letter pointing out that in the camera's manual it very specifically states that in cold conditions the camera should 'be kept warm when not in use to increase battery life - eg. in a pocket', and that that's exactly the advice I was following and where it was being kept when the failure of the screen happened.
They reply again saying 'Yes, but there's been pressure applied'. I reply saying 'I don't dispute that, I'm not suggesting it cracked without some pressure being applied. Simply that it wasn't excess pressure, only pressure as may be expected in normal handling. Specifically, whilst being kept in its case, in a pocket in a manner explicitly suggested by the manufacturer. Would you prefer to see whether the small-claims court thinks expecting to be able to keep a pocket camera in one's pocket as the instructions advise without it sustaining damage might be considered reasonable or not?'
They fixed the camera free of charge.

Basically, if you're prepared to write a letter or two if things do go wrong before the item gives a length of service or fails in a manner that seems to be below par, then you'll most likely get satisfaction anyway, paid for extended warranty or not.

ORAC
19th Dec 2006, 11:10
Depends on the cost of the item. Most electronics are just about unrepairable, it is cheaper for them to replace the unit, so if it is broken be prepared to throw it away. Now, that is OK for items up to around 2-300 quid. After that you start pricing it.

I have extended insurance on my plasma screen. There was a report of someone with a fault on a circuit built into the back , it could only be replaced as a single unit, the quotation was over 3000 pounds including shipping and labour. I think the warranty cost effective.

The other item I have is a Sony HDD PVR, cost about 650 pounds. It has/had a software bug (I now have it in for repair) which meant the title list does not refresh till turned off/on at the mains. I was too much hassle to take it home from Spain whilst I needed it, so I took an additional years insurance for 30 pounds. They picked it up 2 weeks ago in the last month of cover. Should get it back when I go home for Xmas.

As always, check home you need it and the balance of cost. Caveat emptor n all that...

2 sheds
19th Dec 2006, 11:28
Afterall, in the UK at least, the sale of goods act gives you as much if not more come-back than the exclude-all small print conditions of any warranty are likely to.

Would you prefer to see whether the small-claims court thinks expecting to be able to keep a pocket camera in one's pocket as the instructions advise without it sustaining damage might be considered reasonable or not?'
They fixed the camera free of charge.

Quite agree - the goods should be what used to be called "merchantable quality" - called something different now, but the intent is the same. Also, the threat of the local trading standards dept (ask for the shop assistant's and the manager's names - that focusses their minds!) or the small claims court (again, a different name nowadays) often produces results if you know that you have a very reasonable case.

SyllogismCheck
19th Dec 2006, 11:30
The thing is though ORAC, the plasma manufacturer may well find that they're on a sticky wicket if they point blank refuse to fix that £3000 fault if it occurs outside the standard 12 month warranty but within what the reasonable man might consider to be a reasonable lifespan for such a product.

Personally, I'd argue that a TV which failed after 3 years, maybe even 4 or 5, hadn't fulfilled the requirements of durability. My confidence that my argument would stand up would be based on the common knowledge that the majority of TVs in general use are in excess of that age and have never had any repairs whatsoever.

I'm not saying you're wrong, by the way. Each to their own, especially when it comes to peace of mind. Only that I'd sooner rely on the protection afforded me by the sale of goods act than by buying a warranty, most of which are sold in the first instance only because people are unaware of their rights above and beyond the manufactures warranty.

ORAC
19th Dec 2006, 11:43
I´d just argue about the reasonable life. When a TV cost a reasonable percentage of a year´s wages, and even DVDs were expensive, the court might agree. But most such items are now seen as disposable with short life spans - TVs, DVDs, PCs, laptops. You might win in court, but you may well not.

UniFoxOs
19th Dec 2006, 11:51
We never get it on the purely (or mainly) electronic items like (non-LCD) TVs, videos, stereos etc, for reasons as discussed above but have started having it on smaller items with mechanical content (mainly kitchen). I think these are built down to a price and don't last the course if they get much use. Arg0s charge around 4 for 3 years cover on a 30 breadmaker. We are currently on our third "free" one (although each time it has been replaced we have had to pay the guarantee fee again), and in that time have also broken the kettle and the toaster. It's a no-quibble - just take the faulty one back and get a new one, and you usually get the next model up as the old one has been discontinued.

Cheers
UFO

SyllogismCheck
19th Dec 2006, 12:17
The way I look at it is this, if I asked around a pub for unbiased opinion on how long a TV should last, I'd expect to get a wide range of answers and end up with an average of around 5 years. By general expectation of the man in the street then, if my TV goes pop after 2 years I'd feel I had a pretty sound argument to take to the manufacturer.

Granted, there's an element of risk in going to court; they may decide that 2 years is a good show. Nine times out of ten, however, I'd wager it wouldn't get that far because, as soon as you make it clear you've no intention of backing down, the manufacturers know that providing a free repair is far less bother than attending court at all, win or lose. They'll concede if your claim is basically reasonable. Sometimes, as in the case of my camera, even if it's an issue of damage sustained during normal handling, which even a standard or extended warranty would exclude, and not simple failure.

Edit: In fact your contract is formed with the retailer at the time of sale, not the manufacturer, so it's they you should approach in the first instance. Substitute as necessary above.

garthicus
19th Dec 2006, 12:58
Pal of mine worked for a HUGE UK electrical retailer and he told me that each morning they had a US style 'pep talk' before the store opened where the managers would really rev everybody up with regards to selling extended warranties, my pal said they are a load of b0ll0x and like that report says, only serve to make the company profit, he also got a commission on the extended warranties he sold too... :ugh:

G-CPTN
19th Dec 2006, 13:39
A similar situation applies to buying a car. The dealership (and the salesman) makes his bucks out of selling you 'finance'.

eastern wiseguy
19th Dec 2006, 13:56
I bought some tree lights at Homebase t'other week....cost of lights 11.99...would I like a WARRANTY on them for 2.99 pleeeeaassssee:hmm: :hmm:

Standard Noise
19th Dec 2006, 16:48
Had a ding dong with a retailer a couple of years ago who tried to pass the buck onto the manufacterer (this was outside the manufacterer's 12 month standard warrenty but within the extended one bought from the retailer). Got satisafction after steadily increasing my voice instore until all the other customers could hear me asking why this retailer felt the need to sell faulty products and dodgy warranties.
Many ways to skin the pussy!

On the other side, I took Noisy jnr's one month old hi-fi back to a well known Hi-Fi retailer's Bristol branch. Twas replaced without them even taking the broken one out of the box nor giving me the third degree. They have since had a great deal of repeat business from me. Oh, and I forgot to add, their warranties are quite cheap and not shoved down your throat either.

Keef
19th Dec 2006, 19:53
Sadly, it's the savvy customer, who knows to shout, who gets the right treatment. It's the poor, frazzled mum who gets the runaround, buys the extended warranty, and then doesn't get the repair under that warranty.

My elder daughter was that mum, until her dad got involved. She learned fast from that first lesson with the old man. She doesn't buy extended warranties any more, either.

Younger daughter is on her third 60GB iPod. The first one locked up, the second one had a battery fail after three months. I'm on my second 30GB ditto - the first one died after ten days. In all cases, Apple said it wasn't their "policy" to replace, and asked for the faulty one to be sent back for repair. In all cases, they quickly saw it our way. I don't want any device, repaired or not, that packed up after a few days.

terrain safe
19th Dec 2006, 20:56
Got a printer at the end of October. Goes wrong so I take it back to a large purple computer store. "Don't deal with these after 28 days manufacturer does, here's the phone number". Phone said manufacturer, said we'll send you a pack with an address label in it". Pack arrives with label but postage not paid. I have to pay to send it back (checked warranty card at this point, does say return to them), total of 11.70 for a 60 printer. Phoned them up and complained, turned out that they are a third party repairers who do what the 'big' company want. Personally I think that it is disgusting that I should have to pay to send it back. Won't buy their printers again (I have 3 other ones of theirs that Mrs TS and the TSettes use). Am I being completely unreasonable?

Background Noise
19th Dec 2006, 21:04
Surely its on a case by case basis. I'm about to buy a canon ixus and there is an offer of three years (ie 2 additional years over and above the manufacturers year) for 30. It includes accidental damage and is repair or replace. That sounds like a good deal for a damageable small item. I had a previous camera repaired (within the first year as it happens) after dropping it and have had a camcorder repaired 3 times under extended warranty. I generally don't get them on anything else though - white goods etc.

FormerFlake
19th Dec 2006, 21:16
Every electrical item I have bought over here in Portugal comes with a 2 year warranty as standard. Same products, different warranty just because of where they are sold, rip off Britian!!!!!

G-CPTN
20th Dec 2006, 00:59
I've never used this, but I believe that (at least) some credit cards give a degree of warranty cover. Maybe worth investigating.

G-BMML
20th Dec 2006, 02:39
Having been employed by a large UK PC retail outlet?world! I know as an avionics engineer that very few p.c/laptop items fail. So the asking price of aprox 40/50% markup on the ticket price is pure rip of! Yet the poor old sales staff are almost forced to sell the "coverplan" or they will be reprimanded/sacked! C`est la Vie!

Loose rivets
20th Dec 2006, 02:59
I did insure the big Sony 1080p thingy cos of the sheer cost of transporting it to the third party folk. As well as cover breakdowns on the same day, they come out each year and check it...they even touch up any scratches on the case etc.

Here, the deal is support by the store for 90 days, then a Sony approved place takes over, so it's best to be covered for physically big things. On the 50" hi-res, it pans out to $100 per year. Given the hours of use, the house calls etc., it's just not worth worrying about.

At 'home' , the law used to be clear, is it not still? Anyone asking me to post stuff off would have got short shrift. The seller carries the can for a year...do not take no for an answer.

Here, the "Lemon law" is supposed to protect folk from buying an absolute dog of a product, but I haven't put that to the test.....yet.