PDA

View Full Version : Laptop to Desktop?

tony draper
18th Dec 2006, 21:18
Those neigbours of mine are having more trouble with their new desktop,apparently the desktop will not read cd burned on the laptop,summat about one being Minus and tother being plus?,is there a way of connecting her laptop direct to his desktop,surely there must be some way,after all we could connect two Amigas together with a serial modem cable twenty years ago.
:confused:

ZH875
18th Dec 2006, 21:53
If the CDs (only DVDs are - or +) are finalised, then they should read on both machines. If they are DVDs then as long as they are finalised then they should work as well.

Are both machines using the same burning software, are they using 'drag and drop' as this is notorious for only being read properly on the same drive that created it.

you could always get a usb-usb file transfer cable (oh so slow)

Keef
18th Dec 2006, 22:07
Since I've been using XP Pro SP2, USB-USB interconnect cables don't work any more (I found that out the hard way). There are some expensive ones (grandson of Laplink, I think) that do, but what a pain...

Get a pair of LAN cards and a crossover cable. Or, if the laptop already has a LAN socket (most do), one LAN card etc.

Saab Dastard
18th Dec 2006, 23:43
If connection is only rarely required and only for file transfers, why not use a USB memory-stick? Capacities up to 2 GB are now available, and the price is less than a PCMCIA network card!

Take it a bit further, and get a large external USB hard disk and solve backup AND file transfer in one go!

Next you'll want to install a network-attached storage device - oh hang on, there isn't a network!

SD

tony draper
19th Dec 2006, 08:23
I don't understand this,I sent the chap out to buy a new CD burner for the desktop when we were putting it together but he came back with a DVD rewriter claiming that CD Read Write kit was no longer available,this of course may be true things move on quick,if he had a plain CD burner would it be able to read disks burned in his wifes Laptop,the chaps wife is a teacher she brings home work on her laptop and wishes to tranfer it onto the desktop is all.
Incidently got a phone call from nephew last night,he has had a hard disk disaster with his laptop,took it to PC world and it is beyond their help,he has of course stuff on said hard disk ie 600 photographs he desperatly wants to recover,he made enquieries apparently there are people out there that can recover data from even the most knackered HD but they want 700 quid to do so,bloody hell !!
:uhoh: