PDA

View Full Version : EAST MIDLANDS - 4

Pages : [1] 2

cesare.caldi
17th Dec 2006, 17:09
To make free space to open new CIA-MAD route, from end of february CIA-EMA start to be operated by EMA based plane with this new timetable:
EMA-CIA 6:30-10:05 daily
CIA-EMA 10:30-12:10 daily
What route will be close at EMA to make space for this?

Continuation of: http://www.pprune.org/forums/showthread.php?t=247520&page=15

anna_list
17th Dec 2006, 18:50
What route will be close at EMA to make space for this?

None: EMA will be receiving 3 more planes in February (for a total of 5).

The existing routes from EMA to CIA, GRO and DUB (x3 per day) will all be flown by EMA based aircraft. As you say, this frees up a CIA based aircraft to fly CIA - MAD and also a GRO based aircraft to fly GRO-BRS and GRO-MMX. Finally, following a bit of re-arranging in Dublin, rotations are freed for DUB-WAW and DUB-VST.

According to the booking system, EMA-SZG and EMA-GNB are currently due to end after the Winter, but EMA-FNI and EMA-EGC will both return, with EGC looking like a straight swap for SZG (both 4x wkly).

Things get more complicated at the end of March, when Tue, Thu and Sat rotations on EMA-GRO are taken (back) over by a GRO based plane, allowing EMA-RMI to start.

Lite
17th Dec 2006, 21:00
To make free space to open new CIA-MAD route, from end of february CIA-EMA start to be operated by EMA based plane with this new timetable:
EMA-CIA 6:30-10:05 daily
CIA-EMA 10:30-12:10 daily

This flight will now leave only 30 minutes before the easyJet departure on exactly the same route. I think that's a real shame, because the timings before pretty much made it possible to spend a short day, or nearly two fully days, in Rome, this option will no longer be available. Excellent though to have this Ryanair expansion - and the latest rumours are Cagliari and Palermo I believe.

I heard in work yesterday that First Choice are beginning to hand back their A321s to their lessors. As EMA is a A321/B767 base, any idea whether we will get a B757 or A320, or if the A321 will be around for a while yet? Surely it makes sense to be B757/B767, though this will obviously be a crewing issue. Having not handled FCA B757s, will this spell the end of FCA's premium service on shorthaul? I always thought it was an innovative product for a leisure airline to offer.

WATABENCH
18th Dec 2006, 06:15
Lite
EMA will be a 757 FCA base, but I believe it wont be for another year or so, as far as I'm aware anyway, If I remember correctly they said that after they had sorted BRS out as a boeing base that EMA would be next, well BRS is sorted with 2x757(summer)1x757(winter) replacing the 321's that were based, and 1x767(weekends, year round as of Feb). It will mean the loss of short haul premium for EMA as this service is not available on FCA's 757. Hope this answers your question :ok:

SAM-EMA
18th Dec 2006, 18:59
A positive move for FCA (shame about the loss of premium, but its an increase). Has anyone heard any rumaours about further long-haul destinations, to base the B767 at EMA permantly.

PLUS: Do you think that Reus and Caligiari with FR will be part of another major expansion for FR from EMA next spring.

SAM-EMA

Lite
18th Dec 2006, 19:16
Perhaps a sixth aircraft from Ryanair at a stretch, but I don't think we ought to be getting greedy, EMA has done very well with all of the routes they've already gained for S07, anywhere else would be the icing on the cake. Certainly, these new routes would have to be operated by a based aircraft unless these two cities are in the line-up for becoming a base.

Excellent news to see that FCA will be upgrading to the 757 in the future, a favourite aircraft type for me. Won't the 767 be here for six days a week next summer? It is a shame we can't just get one more route and have it kept here all week, but again FCA's expansion has been excellent for the airport so far.

nema/robin hood
18th Dec 2006, 19:17
Hi SAM-EMA

Reus and Cagliari may indeed mean part of a further expansion from FR.

Is there really scope for Cagliari, when FR will already be flying to Alghero - Is Sardinia that popular?

I personally, would love to see FR start services to Sweden, Norway and Denmark from EMA.

On another note, I see from the EMA website today, that November's passenger figures saw an increase of 21% on the same month last year!! For all the knocks that FR receive, they sure know how to bring those passengers in!!!

Roll on 2007 and all those lovely new routes!!

Lite
18th Dec 2006, 19:24
I too agree it would be nice to have more flights to Central Europe and Scandinavia. Ryanair already have substantial operations in Germany and Scandinavia, so it would be nice for them to perhaps link their bases or focus cities with East Midlands.

Saw today significant scaffolding in the former buspark, clearly work is progressing on the new arrivals hall. Anybody got any firm information from the airport side how it is all going?

SAM-EMA
18th Dec 2006, 19:48
The Reus base and new routes from Caligari are only what I have heard here from PPRuNe, but they sound as if they are going to happen though.

SAM-EMA

bmibaby.com
18th Dec 2006, 20:41
Ryanair seem to be going from strength to strength and are arguably becoming the home airline of EMA, considering that whilst they have an equal number of based aircraft to what is currently considered the airport's "home" airline bmibaby, they have more seats and routes than we do. They seem committed to expansion, and almost every new route announcement over the last few months has been from them. It really is a shame that bmibaby have not been able to fully take advantage of the huge potential market we had from EMA, now Ryanair have moved into many of the big markets, putting baby between a rock and a hard place. Where can WW expand to next? It seems a legitimate question, particularly if rumours of a sixth based aircraft are true. I have to say my obvious bias as an employee of bmibaby would suggest we will outshine the competition; but Ryanair provides excellent value for money, and I think with the general lack of innovation and investment at baby, we're going to find it increasingly difficult to catch up.

UPS@EMA
19th Dec 2006, 09:45
Word on the street is that GB Airways are looking to expand operations at EMA and BRS. Can only mean good things for the airport and for consumers. hows the Pier

Regards

Stu

Ryan_EMA
19th Dec 2006, 10:38
... and I think with the general lack of innovation and investment at baby, we're going to find it increasingly difficult to catch up.

You can always come to work for us :)

bmibaby.com
19th Dec 2006, 18:55
You can always come to work for us :)

Actually I have considered working for Ryanair. Stable roster patterns, modern fleet of aircraft, very cosmopolitan (read: from all over the shop) colleagues and pretty good staff travel scheme. The downside is staff don't seem particularly content whenever I've popped my head round the back of the galley, you have to fork out a mini fortune for training & uniform and I've become all too cushy at baby. There are plenty of things I don't like about baby; ex-BMC people who think they own the shop, new people who don't conform to basic customer service standards, a crummy old fleet of B737s and a stagnating network out of EMA. But they're stable as well and there are some great colleagues out there.

Fried_Chicken
19th Dec 2006, 19:49
Plenty of diverts into EMA today. With the increased based aircraft count from next summer, I wonder if we'll see EMA turning away (non -emergency) diverts due to lack of apron space, especially in the evening & at night when the freighters start to turn up.

How was the arrivals/immigration/baggage reclaim halls today with all the extra pax?

FC

NutLoose
19th Dec 2006, 23:28
Fried_Chicken

Sure they didnt get a few missed approaches and circuits in as well to circumvent the new rules :rolleyes:

Flyboy543
20th Dec 2006, 02:16
Absolutely packed for most of today! From what I remember seeing:-

3 Ryanair down East apron, 2 Ryanair on New apron 1 on Central apron
1 eastJet down East apron, 1 on Central apron
3 Thomson B733
1 Thomson B752
1 Thomas Cook A320
5 BA E145
1 Air Europa B738
1 Futura B738

Probably missed a few as it was pretty hetic! I believe the Ryanair's and easyJets came from Liverpool. The E145 I'm guessing Birmingham and the Thomson's Doncaster? Don't know about the others though.

Not sure what stopped the night, could be interesting if some night stopped down the east apron, with UPS/Maersk/TNT aircraft coming and going.

Mr Angry from Purley
20th Dec 2006, 08:13
Fried and Flyboy
Yes real fun and games last night, i for one got the impression that ATC nearly lost the plot as at one stage the taxi ways got blocked. A Star 767 had no-where to park, the DLH MD11 had to wait for a follow me and nearly caused inbound aircraft to go round. There was one BA aircraft awaiting push back for so long he eventually gave up and went to bed.
:\

Chilli Monster
20th Dec 2006, 08:41
Yes real fun and games last night, i for one got the impression that ATC nearly lost the plot as at one stage the taxi ways got blocked.

Get yourself a licence if you think you can do any better :=

Wasn't working yesterday, but it might be worth remembering that, with the larger aircraft requiring more space to move re parking and pushback it doesn't take long to run out of manoeuvring room - there's only a finite amount of it. Throw in LVP's and life gets very interesting indeed.

Ryan_EMA
20th Dec 2006, 09:35
Actually I have considered working for Ryanair. Stable roster patterns, modern fleet of aircraft, very cosmopolitan (read: from all over the shop) colleagues and pretty good staff travel scheme. The downside is staff don't seem particularly content whenever I've popped my head round the back of the galley, you have to fork out a mini fortune for training & uniform and I've become all too cushy at baby. There are plenty of things I don't like about baby; ex-BMC people who think they own the shop, new people who don't conform to basic customer service standards, a crummy old fleet of B737s and a stagnating network out of EMA. But they're stable as well and there are some great colleagues out there.

every airline has its good and bad points :)

Mr Angry from Purley
20th Dec 2006, 09:45
Chilli
No offence made, but for one how about preempting MD11 would have needed a follow me and having one waiting there...or at least at end of runway in use :\

almost professional
20th Dec 2006, 13:29
Will not know the full story till thursday, but quite possible RVR fell below the point where Follow me is required while he was on finals-you cannot just magic one up, especially if its going ape on the aprons at the same time-LVP's no fun at the best of times, when running out of room even worse, trying to do the best for everyone and getting no thanks sucks!

bmibaby.com
20th Dec 2006, 18:32
We haven't been told yet as part of our announcements to change it to "East Midlands Airport" so lots of people at baby still announcing the arrival of flights into "Nottingham East Midlands Airport" or "Nottingham's East Midlands" as I heard the other day from a colleague. := was my thought, the East Midlands certainly do not BELONG to any of the three cities! Interestingly, the sign above the terminal is currently revealing the really old brand "East Midlands International Airport" going back some time. bmibaby's website still showing "Nottingham East Midlands Airport" throughout the site.

Still no news on extra baby aircraft for you though guys.

Lite
22nd Dec 2006, 15:26
We've done very well I have to say at East Midlands, a couple of delays, none really dramatic (when I was working yesterday 3 hours on the EZY CGN was looking the worst) and think the only cancellations have come from Eastern Airways and one bmibaby flight. Congratulations to everyone whose made the process for travellers so much easier than from LHR - hopefully this will bring more converts to the EMA cult. :E

Not noticed any substantial process to the pier, but have been told it will be opened by May 1st!

SAM-EMA
22nd Dec 2006, 20:22
Sorry, do you mean on May 1st or before? Is their any info who will use it yet? Because I have heard about FR having the 5 based a/c on the new apron but that will be a problem for arriving pax with buses. Personally, I think that it will be best suited to the charter airlines, and keep FR using Gates 1-5.

SAM-EMA

Lite
23rd Dec 2006, 12:19
With the charter flights for the S07 season coming into full swing on May 1st, I was told that the new pier would be open for the start of these flights - whether that means the opening will coincide with the launch of the summer charter programme, or it will be open earlier I don't know. I believe May 1st is the deadline being set for all works around the airport including the new security waiting area and works to the arrivals area.

No news yet on who is using the new pier, though Ryanair are keen not to pay Servisair for buses, and seem to recall something about their contract with the airport involving them getting stands wherever possible which would limit the use of bussing passengers. Obviously there will be no problems on the new pier for departing pax, but arriving ones will need a bus. Ryanair do well in Gates 1-5 at present, so time will tell.

Flyboy543
23rd Dec 2006, 18:06
Some steel framework has been erected for the new pier, and part of the basic concrete floor has been laid from the West gate end.

Would be interesting seeing Ryanair use those 5 stands, pushing a 738 from stand 45 would be very interesting with that blast fence there. I'd make more sense for Baby to use those stands as they have smaller aircraft, and use it regularly. Ryanair use aircraft from other bases, could mean more than 5 ac down at the same time.

Regular Cappuccino
23rd Dec 2006, 18:53
We've done very well I have to say at East Midlands, a couple of delays, none really dramatic... Congratulations to everyone whose made the process for travellers so much easier than from LHR...

We'll take that as a compliment, so 'thanks' on behalf of ATC. :ok:

Making the airport operation run smoothly, especially in adverse weather, is obviously a team effort, with everyone across the different companies playing their part, so 'well done' to the rest of you, too.
On a personal note, I'd like to offer a very special vote of thanks to those of my colleagues in Air traffic, both Controllers and Assistants, who've done a fantastic job in what were sometimes very trying conditions over the last few days - working 'Air' & especially 'Ground' in LVPs requires incredible concentration - you dun good.:D
Hopefully the weather will hold up and provide those of you unfortunate enough to be working over the holiday with a slightly easier time of it.
Merry Christmas, all.
RC

almost professional
23rd Dec 2006, 21:09
Does that mean I have passed my LCE!

bmibaby.com
23rd Dec 2006, 21:24
Would be interesting seeing Ryanair use those 5 stands, pushing a 738 from stand 45 would be very interesting with that blast fence there. I'd make more sense for Baby to use those stands as they have smaller aircraft, and use it regularly. Ryanair use aircraft from other bases, could mean more than 5 ac down at the same time.

Agreed that some of our aircraft are used on those stands, but I think for some of our destinations there is the requirement of a second security check by the border police meaning baby may be kept in Gates 1 - 5. Also, I think the airline likes to have these gates considering they are the shortest walk from central search and once pax have passed through the border police checkpoint they are then in that part of the lounge, so easier to chase up if they go missing. I'm sure the same might be introduced on the new pier if that's where the airport wants baby to go.

barrowboyblue!
23rd Dec 2006, 21:47
Some steel framework has been erected for the new pier, and part of the basic concrete floor has been laid from the West gate end.

Wow steel AND concrete - this could be the start of something:E
- just hope the locals don't get to hear bout this!

Regular Cappuccino
24th Dec 2006, 00:09
Does that mean I have passed my LCE!
The 'good' we do immediately - miracles take a little longer....:E

Wellington Bomber
24th Dec 2006, 08:27
LITE

Get your facts right:=

There have been no Eastern cancellations to Aberdeen on Thursday or Friday

There has been a reduced service due to xmas, the Thursday flight was diverted to Manchester and passengers were bussed there to get to Aberdeen, the return flight was diverted to Leeds and passengers bussed back to EMA. (have you noticed that a full frills airline do not just cancel flights or dump passengers where they do not want to be).

The Friday flight was delayed due to inbound aircraft positioning from Leeds (which was affected by fog) been late arriving, about 1hr 45mins late. Then operated as normal

Wellington Bomber
24th Dec 2006, 09:22
Nearly forgot this

Did I see an Easy A319 with an emergency slide hanging out of the right hand side on Friday evening?

There was a lot of people hanging around that front door

Can anybody confirm?

alright_pal
24th Dec 2006, 10:30
Got told this morning a texaco refueller opened the door for the hostie who hadnt disarmed it.....best get the boys in green back:=

bmibaby.com
24th Dec 2006, 13:24
LITE

Get your facts right:=

There have been no Eastern cancellations to Aberdeen on Thursday or Friday

There has been a reduced service due to xmas, the Thursday flight was diverted to Manchester and passengers were bussed there to get to Aberdeen, the return flight was diverted to Leeds and passengers bussed back to EMA. (have you noticed that a full frills airline do not just cancel flights or dump passengers where they do not want to be).

The Friday flight was delayed due to inbound aircraft positioning from Leeds (which was affected by fog) been late arriving, about 1hr 45mins late. Then operated as normal

To be fair, on Thursday the departure boards in the terminal were showing Eastern inbound flights to be "cancelled." Whilst there may have been alternative travel arrangements laid on, this is not always clear from the airport's information boards which simply show "cancelled." This brings up a point I remember hearing a little while ago with somebody from Servisair complaining that if one of their flights was running a bit behind schedule it would say on the arrivals board "delayed until" whereas bmibaby flights would say "expected at." I see that era has changed, maybe we're out of favour!

Merry Christmas anyway to all EMA employees and our thread followers, and hears to an exciting 2007!

alright_pal
24th Dec 2006, 14:33
Anyone got any photos of the ezy with th chute deployed

SAM-EMA
24th Dec 2006, 16:45
MERRY CHRISTMAS and HAPPY NEW YEAR to all you EMA PPRuNers.

Best Wishes
SAM-EMA

bmibabyfc
24th Dec 2006, 23:31
Merry Xmas fellow EMA colleagues!! Including you simpson!!!!

regards

bmibaby FC

barrowboyblue!
25th Dec 2006, 09:24
Anyone got any photos of the ezy with th chute deployed

Why?
Remind me politely to turn-down any invites to your place -
the slides on chute deployment just seem TOO excitin for me!!:eek:

Pass me a drink - hic-cup!!
Merry CHRISTmas to all - regards bbb :ok:

END BAG
25th Dec 2006, 10:32
Merry Xmas to all at E. M.A. espicially all the Servisair ramp lads and keep smiling boys.Soon be March 2007 and lots more Ryanairs for us to turn round in 25 mins . YOU KNOW YOU LOVE IT !!!!:mad: :mad:

alright_pal
25th Dec 2006, 10:38
boyblue I wont need to remind you as you aint getting an invite....hope you have a sober and safe xmas...:D

Ryan_EMA
26th Dec 2006, 12:08
Merry Xmas to all at E. M.A. espicially all the Servisair ramp lads and keep smiling boys.Soon be March 2007 and lots more Ryanairs for us to turn round in 25 mins . YOU KNOW YOU LOVE IT !!!!:mad: :mad:

We all know you all lads work very hard and it is appreciated. Have a happy new year:ok:

Lite
26th Dec 2006, 14:40
We all know you all lads work very hard and it is appreciated. Have a happy new year:ok:

Thank you (says Servisair PSA) and a happy new year to everyone.

SAM-EMA
28th Dec 2006, 20:23
Just of interest, how are FR's routes actually doing. Are they good loads?
I wish EZY would bring us back BCN, and WW bring back NCE.
Is there any news on the extra WW a/c yet?
PLUS: Any difference/progress with the pier and the terminal developments.

THANKS
FROM SAM-EMA

bmibaby.com
29th Dec 2006, 12:55
There's unlikely to be any major announcements or changes made over the Christmas/New Year period, frankly either the staff or management are still on leave or to a lesser extent major announcements wouldn't generate enough publicity if they were announced now. All in good time, the new pier is supposed to be ready as earlier stated by May and from what I've heard is just going to be a steel and glass construction with lots of seats inside.

I haven't heard anything more about bmibaby's expansion plans, and I doubt that even the management at Tiny Town know exactly right now where the additional aircraft might go. All the bases eligible - MAN, CWL and EMA have equally valid reasons for wanting more routes with an additional aircraft, but hopefully we should know more soon. A sixth aircraft was highly touted before the major Ryanair expansion announcement. I too would like to see some major European cities from EMA with WW being the best candidate to operate these, but it's really up to EMA & WW to work out a deal between them.

Lite
29th Dec 2006, 23:34
Agreed that there's going to be very little information available over the festive period, though it appears that the work around the airport is two weeks behind schedule, so hopefully they can catch this up in time for their planned May 1st start for it all to be finished by. The new newsagents is set to open soon in the part of the shopping mall opposite where Boots is, which will be part of the landside operation for now, but will eventually end up being part of the departure lounge. Closing the current newsagents next week will allow the builders to begin working on whatever project is part of the next stage of reconstruction work, though it is about this area (where the current newsagent is) that the security queue is supposed to start. Everything appears to be well planned and going ahead fine, so it's just a waiting game! The new pier has had it's foundations and flooring down and is slowly but surely taking shape. As mentioned, it's just going to be steel, glass, concrete panelling with plastic seats!

Nothing negative to report with the Ryanairs. Decent loads, returning passengers and they seem to be doing plenty of advertising to sell the new routes. Exactly the kind of low-cost carrier EMA needs. I've heard they're looking at three additional new routes to be announced before July - with one Italian, one Spanish and one German destination being touted.

SAM-EMA
30th Dec 2006, 12:58
This is now posted on the FR thread:

'While we are on the subject of expected new routes:
East Midlands - Paris Beauvais
East Midlands - Frankfurt Hahn
East Midlands - Brussles Charleroi'

What do you think?
SAM-EMA

Chilli Monster
30th Dec 2006, 14:07
SAM-EMA, as requested (Photos courtesy of Almost Prof)
http://www.wheelerweb.org/images/nema/pier_floor_1.jpg

Walkway support framework and pier flooring

http://www.wheelerweb.org/images/nema/terminal_1.jpg

Work in progress landside of the Terminal

SAM-EMA
30th Dec 2006, 14:43
Great pics Chillimonster, thanks for posting.

SAM-EMA

Mr Angry from Purley
30th Dec 2006, 17:17
SAM-EMA
CRL would be in competition with BMI Regional, from what I have seen this is all purely business pax so not sure.
EMA LEIPZIG would be nice :\

SAM-EMA
30th Dec 2006, 18:13
Yes it would be in competition, but I think that FR could give BD a run for their money. Plus; I only had that info off another thread, it wasn't my info.

I believe Frankfurt (Hahn), Hamburg (Lubeck), Dusseldorf (Weeze) etc could do FR well, because such routes (obviously to cities main airports, not FR secondary hubs) have not been served since BD ended these services before WW came on the scene.

Cheers
SAM-EMA

egnxema
30th Dec 2006, 20:09
Thanks AP an CM for the pictures!!

Lite
30th Dec 2006, 23:25
This is now posted on the FR thread:

'While we are on the subject of expected new routes:
East Midlands - Paris Beauvais
East Midlands - Frankfurt Hahn
East Midlands - Brussles Charleroi'

What do you think?
SAM-EMA

I've always thought that Ryanair would do well on a CRL route, because the fares charged by bmi regional into BRU are astronomical. Whilst they operate an excellent schedule and provide pretty good service on the Embraer, the prices are only economical if you're an MP or CEO who is having their fare paid for them by someone else, I don't think I ever saw leisure pax or essentially "non suits" on the BRU when Servisair handled them for a season. CRL would suit people that normally fly FR ie leisure, VFR or self-employed business pax - who don't mind the slightly longer commute into central Brussels if it means a considerably cheaper airfare. HHN would be excellent, there's clearly a market for flights to this part of Germany - and whilst FRA may be on the wishlist of bmi, I can't see them finding the slots to serve this market, obviously the only downsides with HHN is the long bus ride to Frankfurt and the lack of connecting flights which would make an FRA flight by bmi or Lufty more popular. I don't really see the point in Ryanair launching BVA - bmibaby already serve Paris quite well on the CDG route, their flights always seem quite full and the flight is into one of the most convenient airports for the city at reasonable prices, there isn't a market for FR to steal.

I had heard three new routes for summer 2007 as mentioned. A Spanish route (likely to be Reus as this is apparently the next FR base) a German route (possibly the mentioned HHN) and either a French (possibly their new MRS base) or Italian (no idea) route all being operated by non-EMA based aircraft some time to be launched in S07.

paul atkins
31st Dec 2006, 09:13
hey all i have have heard on another thread that ryanair will be flying to Cagliari in sardinia next year as well, on the down side croatia airlines flights to dubrovnik & split have both been dropped happy new year to you all cheers paul

toledoashley
31st Dec 2006, 10:10
Great - More people going to Forte Village.

egnxema
31st Dec 2006, 13:41
hey all i have have heard on another thread that ryanair will be flying to Cagliari in sardinia next year as well, on the down side croatia airlines flights to dubrovnik & split have both been dropped happy new year to you all cheers paul

Hi Paul,

Also heard Reus and Cagliari, when was/is the last Croatia Airlines flight? They not coming back next summer?

Also heard that GB are pleased with both EMA and BRS and looking to increase services. Anyone else heard this??

paul atkins
31st Dec 2006, 15:59
hey the croatian flights where lost when balkan holidays & holiday options
removed them from there brochures in other words there are now no operators for these flights

Lite
31st Dec 2006, 16:02
Hi Paul,
Also heard Reus and Cagliari, when was/is the last Croatia Airlines flight? They not coming back next summer?
Also heard that GB are pleased with both EMA and BRS and looking to increase services. Anyone else heard this??

Cagliari could have been the Italian destination which I had heard rumoured, but it'd be strange for EMA to have a daily link to Sardinia (by the time you throw in Alghero as well) surely it'd be more productive for them to fly somewhere like Palermo as I know there's quite a few Sicilians around and currently their only opportunity of flying home is Ryanair from STN or a charter. Reus would be excellent - serves the Costa Daurada, Port Aventura Resort and also provides a further alternative for Barcelona.

GB Airways seem to have been pleased with EMA and Servisair, though I've no idea how much autonomy they have over operating their own routes or whether BA themselves want to see them expand in the regions when they're closing their own operations. Maybe as a GB branded service? Perhaps GB will end up looking like Monarch? Who knows?

SAM-EMA
31st Dec 2006, 16:23
Hello!

Just posting to wish everyone at EMA a HAPPY NEW YEAR and best of luck to EMA in 2007 with their new routes and developments.

From SAM-EMA

Charlie Roy
31st Dec 2006, 18:14
Cagliari could have been the Italian destination which I had heard rumoured, but it'd be strange for EMA to have a daily link to Sardinia (by the time you throw in Alghero as well)

Maybe the plan is to axe Alghero and to replace it by Cagliari...

egnxema
1st Jan 2007, 16:05
What is your honest view of prospects for 2007?

Personally I think 2007 will definately end with more than the 5 baesed FR aircraft announced - I think we will see 7 by November.

BA will be back in the end of the summer with something in addition to TFS.

It would be SO SO good to get KLM back in on the AMS route with 4 day.

AeroAsia still mention Islamabad to EMA on their website. Also wil be interested to see if UKIA take to the air.

Any EZY predictions?

Any WW predictions?

Lets hope for continued year on year growth on top of a great 06.

Lite
1st Jan 2007, 17:10
For 2007 I think we'll see;

- Ryanair continue to expand by adding more routes from both based aircraft, as well as linking up their other bases with EMA. We'll probably see the bulk of new routes being to France, Spain, Italy and Eastern Europe.

- EasyJet continuing to base three aircraft. They must be renewing their contract with the airport, as the airline is set to continue with their base here during S07 season. Perhaps the airport might be able to get a fourth aircraft or better utilisation out of the existing three to squeeze in more routes, but it seems if it aint broke dont fix it!

- A longhaul scheduled operator arrive at EMA.

SAM-EMA
1st Jan 2007, 21:40
Sounds promising Lite. Thanks.

I don't want to unappreciative of the routes we currently have, but I would like FR to expand into destinations such as: Stockholm, Riga, Tampere, Olso, Kaunas etc

I don't know what to say regarding EZY, they seem to be sticking with 3 a/c. I don't see why EZY don't attempt any expansion because, yes I know the system that they are running at the moment is fine, with good load/profitable routes but why not expanding into different markets, and if they don't work for them cut them.

But still after saying that, EMA have got a major issue as regards to space for a/c to park. I think the rumoured extension of the forties into the carpark (south) should come sooner rather than later. But if that is going to happen, do you think that EMA could build the pier in such a way that they would be able to carry the pier south as and when the extension comes, because personally I can't see them laying concrete anywhere else (near the terminal anyway). Although EMA has the advantage that many airports haven't got is that they can use cargo stands if they become desperate.

Thanks
SAM-EMA

Fried_Chicken
1st Jan 2007, 22:00
BA will be back in the end of the summer with something in addition to TFS.

As mentioned previously, it could well be that these flights could be branded as GB Airways rather than BA, especially with the loss of BA Connect.

FC

almost professional
2nd Jan 2007, 09:47
SAM-I believe that the layout of the pier will allow southwards expansion also, but it would mean closing one of the roadways to the apron extension

Lite
2nd Jan 2007, 15:27
Sounds promising Lite. Thanks.

I don't want to unappreciative of the routes we currently have, but I would like FR to expand into destinations such as: Stockholm, Riga, Tampere, Olso, Kaunas etc

I don't know what to say regarding EZY, they seem to be sticking with 3 a/c. I don't see why EZY don't attempt any expansion because, yes I know the system that they are running at the moment is fine, with good load/profitable routes but why not expanding into different markets, and if they don't work for them cut them.

Thanks
SAM-EMA

Ryanair might well expand to some of the destinations that you've mentioned, in fact out of them Stockholm using Skavsta Airport is already a base, so there might be potential of that route to be launched in the close future. Nobody could have guessed really where the new Ryanair routes that have already been announced for 2007 would have been, so it's really anybody's guess, my predictions were based on Ryanair's existing expansion programme from the airport, and where I'd already factored in potential growth markets.

easyJet have three aircraft due to be delivered in 2007 that have not yet been assigned to base, but are planned to go where there is a strong case for expansion. Given Ryanair's expansion at EMA, as well as other low-cost airlines just up the road at BHX, there doesn't appear to be a strong need for them to base aircraft here, other than to gain market share.

As Fried_Chicken picked up on, I think it will be GB Airways flying any new routes in the future from EMA. It has been GB Airways who have been dealing with the airport and there have been many rumours over the future of the company, which may include either a purchase or a complete breakaway from British Airways. I know GB have a strong parent in the Bland Group and have already operated flights in the past with their own brand. Perhaps they will operate like Monarch Scheduled in the future with flights throughout the Med basin, just operating a codeshare with BA.

bmibaby.com
2nd Jan 2007, 17:10
I agree with many of the opinions expressed as what the future holds for EMA, and think that a lot of proposed passenger growth for 2007 will come from our largest expanding low-cost airline Ryanair with future routes, as well as our continually growing charter airline First Choice Airways with the possibility of the basing of a 767 by the end of the year.

As for the bmibaby predictions that have been asked, I think it will all depend how confident the folks over at tiny town feel about competing with Ryanair. bmibaby have had a niche market over the last few years, following on from British Midland, by flying from airports like EMA to the major airports such as CDG, and I can think of plenty of other big city airports which baby could serve well from EMA - some of these have already been announced from BHX. Also, it's a shame that bmi hasn't been able to influence their Star partners in launching flights to EMA, such as offering a link to a major European hub which is what the airport really needs. A thrice-daily Lufthansa flight to FRA for example would be useful, but slots in FRA are scarce. I don't think we'll see KLM back as they appear to be consolidating under their new AF ownership.

NutLoose
4th Jan 2007, 11:09
For those that are interested, there ia an Airbus Beluga parked down on the DHL Apron....... Has been in about an hour or so 12.pm 4th Jan 2007 will pop a pic on tonight for you :hmm:

egnxema
4th Jan 2007, 12:02
Is it here for Rolls ROyce engines from Derby to the Airbus factory in France?

Just out of interest....What aircraft/company is normally used by Rolls Royce to deliver aeroengines to Boeing and Airbus?

paul atkins
4th Jan 2007, 14:49
hey egnxema today they used aswell Antonov124 belonging to Volga-Dnepr

SAM-EMA
4th Jan 2007, 16:16
Is the Beluga still there? When does it leave?

Thanks SAM-EMA

EastMids
4th Jan 2007, 16:17
Is it here for Rolls ROyce engines from Derby to the Airbus factory in France?
Just out of interest....What aircraft/company is normally used by Rolls Royce to deliver aeroengines to Boeing and Airbus?
Beluga is a diversion due x-winds at Chester - it can't be used regularly into EMA due to the specialist loading gear it needs (the only previous time a Beluga did visit EMA the knock-down loading frame arrived by road a few days before the a/c arrived).

Rolls Royce use a/c to Toulouse usually only when engines are required quickly, otherwise they go by surface transport. The larger engines require an AN-124 (usually VDA, ADB or POT), but they've also used the re-engined VDA IL-76 and the ADB AN-22. Smaller engines and ancilliary gear has gone out on AN-12s on occasion.

Rolls-Royce engines don't usually go to Boeing by air from EMA.
Andy

egnxema
4th Jan 2007, 16:36
Rolls-Royce engines don't usually go to Boeing by air from EMA.
Andy

Thanks Andy for the info.

Wow - Derby to Seatle is a hell of a long trip via road/sea container! :eek:

EastMids
4th Jan 2007, 16:39
I said that that Rolls Royce engines don't usually go by air from EMA

Andy

egnxema
4th Jan 2007, 16:43
Arh right! Sorry - should have read it more closely.

Where do they go from then? And how come?

EastMids
4th Jan 2007, 17:22
Going back some time, all RB-211 engies for the TriStar (RR was the only engine supplier for the L1011) used to go to Palmdale, California on Saturn/Trans-International L100 Hercules - during that program, there was hardly a week passed when one of their Hercules didn't visit EMA. For engines destined for Seattle, I believe that in the days when the only RR/Boeing program was the RB211-powered 747 they used to go on Cargolux from Prestwick because (a) there were no airfrieght services from EMA to Seattle [but there was from Prestwick] and the limited number of engines didn't justify a dedicated service and (b) at the time the EMA runway wasn't long enough to allow direct operations to the US west coast. Since then Boeing's use of RR engines increased (particularly for the 757 and now the 777), and I don't know how they go to Seattle - there has been very occasional AN-124s to Seattle, but no where near as regularly as to Toulouse.
Andy

EastMids
4th Jan 2007, 17:34
FWIW, IIRC when the Beluga came to EMA previously (and they brought the loading dock in advance), it brought in a Trent engine that was still in its cowling - I think it was one that "let go" during the A330 test program and it was needed back in Derby intact with cowl. I believe that the only airplane the bigger Trents will go into fully cowled is a Beluga (or maybe it was at a time when the AN-124s were grounded after the nose door came off one in flight testing?).

This links to a pic of the only previous Beluga visit to EMA - the loading frame can be seen in the foreground:
http://www.airliners.net/open.file/0163218/L
Andy

NutLoose
4th Jan 2007, 20:41
Picture as Promised of the Beluga Landing at EGNX today......... as to the departure question, it when I left it was slated as a 5.00 pm departure, but was not expected to make that and didn't...

http://mysite.orange.co.uk/il2skins/Beluga_EGNX_smallest.jpg

Tisme
4th Jan 2007, 21:47
Thats right when I left Toad Hall at 5.30pm and came round the back of the Airport it was still sitting near to DHL

egnxema
5th Jan 2007, 09:30
I notice that WW has cancelled a few GLA flights yesterday and today. Plus this mornings GLA/EMA was combined with EDI/EMA.

Is it just due to mid-January loads, or what?:confused:

flybmi
6th Jan 2007, 08:22
I notice that WW has cancelled a few GLA flights yesterday and today. Plus this mornings GLA/EMA was combined with EDI/EMA.
Is it just due to mid-January loads, or what?:confused:

I was on the GLA flight, and I sure as heck wasn't happy! :}

Can anybody shed any light; bmi told me it was due to 'technical problems'?

bmibabyfc
6th Jan 2007, 12:44
yes the GLA flts have been canx of recent, this will be due to the loads IF there is a problem with one of the a/c during the day.

If an a/c is tech for the day rather than pax get screwed over totally (i.e. stranded somewhere where they dont live etc) the flight that gets canx will be the one where the flight can be combined with a later service or alternative destination.

This makes perfect sense and although not best fot the passenger it does get them back to where they need/want to be.

It would make no sense to canx a flight where you cant get all the pax on the flight home that day. A good reason why the GLA keeps getting picked on is because there are x4 a day and normally all pax on the canx flight can be accomodated.

One thing that does annoy me though, all though a cancellation, really it tends to be only a 3 hour delay until the next flight. You would be amazed at pax responses if a flight is canx "yeah but you canx the flight" - reply "yes but really your only delayed 3hrs" As soon as the word canx is mentioned they automatically seem to think COMPENSATION! - and what they can get with the EU regs - unfortunately and thankfully not a lot!

regards as ever

bmibabyFC

North Stand Tier3
6th Jan 2007, 14:57
Most certainly was due to 'tech problems'.TOYF has flap damage that Mr Boeing won't allow so until those in Seattle ok a repair,it's sitting with a flap missing in the shed!
The easiest option if loads allow is to combine with the EDI flt or canx.With more than one rotation to GLA its then possible to get the pax oop north-unfortunately later.This was a philosophy used when it was mainline with the Fokker fleet out of EMA too.
FAO flybmi - whilst I am only too aware how frustrating your canx/delay was,I am sure you would rather get there later but safely on a serviceable and safe aircraft.

Mr Angry from Purley
6th Jan 2007, 15:03
Knock - MAN came into EMA with pax who were bussed to MAN. This so the aircraft could be used on a EDI or GLA rotation. I understand that in addition to the flap damage aircraft another one was AOG. The flap damage repair may take time to resolve as the aircraft was fresh off check. WW could do with some decent spare aircraft to support the operation, think they are using Titan today :\

SAM-EMA
6th Jan 2007, 16:53
I know when it comes to replacing the WW fleet, it will be between A319s and B737s. I think that they should start thinking about taking the 73Gs that EZY are laying off. The 737 has served WW well, I would like it to continue.

SAM-EMA

bmibaby.com
6th Jan 2007, 18:24
SAM-EMA

The problem with the ex-EasyJet Boeing 737-700s, is that these are in very high demand from airlines far more influential than bmibaby, as the waiting time for off-the-factory 737s is about two years. Gol, Southwest and Air Berlin, are amongst the low-cost airlines fighting to pick up these EZY aircraft once EasyJet get more A319s. The waiting time for an Airbus is a little less, but I think these aircraft are to be the exclusive domain of bmi mainline. One option being looked at is the Embraer E-Jet family after a successful promotional tour by an E-190 to EMA a few months ago, but whilst more efficient, it would take away significant capacity. As with all things bmibaby, I think it's just a case of wait and see.

NutLoose
7th Jan 2007, 12:46
Little pier update as of Friday, the roof was on when I was called in on Saturday, but as you see they have started roofing it in this shot :)

http://mysite.orange.co.uk/il2skins/Terminal.jpg

SAM-EMA
7th Jan 2007, 15:49
Looking good-starting to take shape. Thanks for posting NutLoose

SAM-EMA

UPS@EMA
8th Jan 2007, 14:21
anyone got any info on how the flights to Kenya are looking sales wise???? see they are being operated by 767-300 equipment.

Also, ive heard of a new cargo operator operating to EMA . rumour has it of MAS Cargo??? anyone else heard this?

Any new Long Haul services in the pipline????

anyone seen how many gates are going to be on the pier????? and is it just gonna be for the new apron or is there gonna be gates both sides???

Regards

Stu

owenkirk2005
8th Jan 2007, 14:50
think the mombassa flight is oporated by a based manchester a330. Only flights in march and april. no info on the pier.

owen

UPS@EMA
8th Jan 2007, 14:57
According to the EMA timetables, its a 763. that might be wrong tho

Regards

Stu

almost professional
8th Jan 2007, 15:56
gates both sides to allow access to the north side stands. ie 30+

bmibaby.com
8th Jan 2007, 16:23
Airliners are reporting that after the flybe/BA Connect merger that EMA could become a base or a focus city. Does anybody know if EMA is being considered or if flybe management have been to EMA? If you ask me they have enough on their plate without launching new bases, and we already have enough based airlines.

owenkirk2005
8th Jan 2007, 19:07
more airlines the better! thats good that it will have gates both sides because it allow more aircraft to park over on the far side.

anyone got a summer 07 timetable?

owen

SAM-EMA
8th Jan 2007, 19:11
Are they going to re-line part of the current pax apron in order to have aircraft park up to the pier that way.

PLUS: It is 18 years to the day since the Kegworth Air Disaster, in which a British Midlands Boeing 737-400 hit the M1 embankment on approach to EMA.

SAM-EMA

bmibaby.com
8th Jan 2007, 19:19
more airlines the better!

I'm not sure that I fully agree, I think there is a strong potential that if flybe did arrive at EMA, it would result in a bad fare war which bmibaby in particular probably couldn't afford to fight long in. EasyJet competed with bmibaby for a while on the EMA-Scotland flights, but there was far too much capacity and they quickly retreated to where they could make money flying to the continent. bmibaby have their own market on these flights, and still manage to keep fares pretty low but planes pretty full on these routes. Factor in competition from BHX and now more importantly than ever from the train, and it just seems it would be wasted planes, fuel and tarmac to have another airline trotting up and down the country on this route.

Flyboy543
8th Jan 2007, 19:21
Hmmm not so sure about having gates both sides of the new pier. Where the 30's are there's a blast fence in the way, a large equipment park, and is too close to the alpha taxiway to route pax behind the parking area.

If they were to do it, the only way to do it would to have the crossings like on the front of stands at the moment (8-17), however there's no room at the top of the 30's stands. If you put it infront of the equipment park, you'll need to remove the access road infront, and if you put it the other side of the road it'll take up too much room on the stands, would make it hard to board a/c with all the vehicles moving up in that corner. Also you could only board one flight at a time.

I'll try to take a pic to explain what I mean. It's hard to explain if you don't know it !!

SAM-EMA
8th Jan 2007, 19:27
A-net is saying that BE already have slots for 4x daily EDI-EMA, but whether it starts is up to the BACON merger.

SAM-EMA

bmibaby.com
8th Jan 2007, 21:39
I could see these slots being better utilised for somewhere like DSA which currently lacks a domestic operation where flybe are currently only flying from BHD, or maybe their new base at CWL. EMA simply doesn't have the market for two low-cost airlines on the EMA-Scotland routes, though flybe are a very competitive airline, so if they did arrive, I could see them really kicking bmibaby into shape. The two airlines co-exist I suppose up the road at BHX with their own business models, so it's probably worth watching.

A-Net also suggesting Eastern's ABZ route not doing too well. Is this the cost of the tickets or is the market just not there? I could see WW doing very well with a twice daily flight (one early morning, one early evening) on this route like we're doing at BHX.

cym
9th Jan 2007, 08:04
Any idea when where the additional 737 will be based for S07? Announcemnet seems to have been pending for quite some time

Chilli Monster
10th Jan 2007, 13:13
Regular Cappuccino proving himself a dab hand with a camera - the work continues.

http://www.wheelerweb.org/images/nema/pier_and_sun.jpg

UPS@EMA
10th Jan 2007, 13:21
flybe have confirmed that EMA is definatley a non starter. they have no plans what so ever to start ops out of EMA.

Does anyone else feel EMA is being left behind a bit????? i may be being a little harsh but we must be the only airport in the top 12 airports now with no scheduled Long Haul operations with he announcement or Emirates to Newcastle

Ive emailed the my friend in the planning department at the airport about all this too so hopefully i could find out whats happening with future developments.

Regards

egnxema
10th Jan 2007, 13:46
Regular Cupu and Chilli Monster, and Almost Prof - many thanks for the continued Photo updates!!! Really appreciate it.

Any idea how much further the pier will go? Will it go right up to stand 40?

Another parking question.

Is it possible to have 6 737/A320 aircraft parked in stands 15, 16, 17, and 31 32, & 33 at the same time?

Chilli Monster
10th Jan 2007, 14:01
Is it possible to have 6 737/A320 aircraft parked in stands 15, 16, 17, and 31 32, & 33 at the same time?

You can park them there - the fun starts if they all want to go at the same time :)

egnxema
10th Jan 2007, 14:11
Chilli,
Regarding the stands - would those buses need to be moved? There doesn't seem to be much space between the back of the MYT '20 and the buses to have another 73 or 20 parked on 33??

oh and......:O this is a really stupid question from someone that knows little,

but at an airport like EMA with no airbridges, why could aircraft not be parked at a 45 degree angle to the terminal front, so when it is time to depart they can just do a right hand turn and pull away.

lol - I am sorry, that question totally reveals that I have very little idea what goes on in the pointy bit at the front of planes!! :) :)

And why not get them buses shifted permanently so the aircraft parked in stands 31-33 can just taxi forward and then turn right for Twy Q?

Flyboy543
10th Jan 2007, 14:17
Busses and some equipment is being parked on stand 33 at the moment while the new pier is being built. Once that is built they can be parked on the new ramp like they were during the summer. It's just a temporary measure while building work goes on. Remember they did the same thing when building the new ramp??

almost professional
10th Jan 2007, 14:49
Reason for not taxying off stand/starting on front stands/reversing off stands is blast damage to the terminal front + H/S, also not enough space to taxy forward off the Thirties and turn right to 'Q', what with the lighting pole etc! at least not with anything B737 size
to answer an earlier question I was told that the new pier would cater for the Thirties, and there is room north of the blast fence for a gate+walkway, just needs some more lines painted! Oh and the busses need moving!

bmibaby.com
10th Jan 2007, 14:54
flybe have confirmed that EMA is definatley a non starter. they have no plans what so ever to start ops out of EMA.
Regards

I've been saying all along that this is what would make the most sense. As they try to incorporate BA Connect, the last thing that they need to be doing is opening up more bases just up the road from existing ones. EMA is already well served by bmibaby on our Scottish routes, and flybe would only have cannibalised the market.

Any idea when where the additional 737 will be based for S07? Announcemnet seems to have been pending for quite some time

No announcement has yet been made, and it will all end up on being which airport is most strategically fit and which airports gives WW the best offer. Though as we're only a few months from the start of the summer season, and the new aircraft are due to arrive in May, it should be soon.

Big shame bmi regional despite having announced four extra aircraft for this summer, aren't bringing any of them to EMA. They're going to MAN, ABZ and EDI instead.

Evileyes
10th Jan 2007, 18:35
This thread tends to be heavily populated by spotters these days. Posts regarding individual aircraft, individual flights, liveries, etc. etc. need to be made on the Spectators Balcony (spotters) or SLF (passenger) forums, not here as they will be deleted.

Likewise, posts parroting airline or airport press releases regarding changes in flight schedules are seldom relevant to this forum unless service to a new destination is established or curtailed.

For the moment the pictures currently posted are welcome as they appear to be used to illustrate points made in discussion regarding the Airport. If they lead to what the Mods perceive as more spotter posts they will be removed to save bandwidth.

Cheers,
The Mods

SAM-EMA
11th Jan 2007, 14:32
Aero Asia is now saying 'we will be operating these routes soon' under the EMA and MAN adverts. But I did notice that they have changed it from East Midlands to Nottingham, well obviously we know different.

Anyone heard anymore about when UKIA will be starting from EMA?

SAM-EMA

taz95
13th Jan 2007, 20:27
UKIA says in March they will start their operations.

GayFriendly
13th Jan 2007, 21:58
I just hope that you don't suffer the same shame that FlyWho/Blu/Whatever heaped on BHX!!! Be very wary about start dates that get put back forever and airlines that can't spell or call it's intended destination by it's right name...............good luck to you guys at EMA I think a service to Pakistan will be well supported and might shake up the PIA operation here at BHX a bit??

The Real Slim Shady
14th Jan 2007, 13:53
Aero Asia is now saying 'we will be operating these routes soon' under the EMA and MAN adverts. But I did notice that they have changed it from East Midlands to Nottingham, well obviously we know different.
The announcement on the start date and schedule timings will come in due course through the respective press offices.
The change from East Midlands to Nottingham was made because of the number of queries raised in Pakistan about exactly where was East Midlands. People there know where Nottingham is because of the cricket connection. Eventually it will go back to East Midlands.

brighton_rocks
15th Jan 2007, 21:27
I saw Penny Coates today buying a pack of bolts in Wilko's !!! Must be for the new pier, i'll post some photo's tommorrow........ :}

brighton_rocks
15th Jan 2007, 21:32
Sorry for taking the p***, it's just i cant understand all the excitement about a covered walkway, it's not like it's a new terminal......
Perhaps i need to get out more!!:)

bmibaby.com
15th Jan 2007, 21:51
I agree that with the exception of a few photos and genuine information being provided, this thread has become more than most PPRuNe airport threads as one for pointless gossip or spotter garb. Might I suggest as the summer season is rapidly approaching and with real news or substantial rumours about to really take hold, that we consider starting a new thread now?

Ryan_EMA
18th Jan 2007, 16:45
It seems that EMA is very busy today
A lot of diversions from Birmingham.
On the ramp
Lufthansa, Air France, BA, Monarch, Swiss
Nice to see all of them

bmibabyfc
18th Jan 2007, 22:31
ryan ema
Believe me it wasn't nice to see all those a/c at ema today,
with a/c come alot of passengers and you could hardly move at ema.....
I hate diverts as you can probably tell, especially in a small airport.

SAM-EMA
19th Jan 2007, 19:05
Today, 19th Jan, EMA was named BEST UK REGIONAL AIRPORT.
It looks like EMA are going places, and going there quickly.
Congratulations to EMA and everyone who works there.

From SAM-EMA

emababy
20th Jan 2007, 20:37
ryan ema
Believe me it wasn't nice to see all those a/c at ema today,
with a/c come alot of passengers and you could hardly move at ema.....
I hate diverts as you can probably tell, especially in a small airport.
bmibabyfc if you cant deal with diverts and extra pax than maybe the aviation industry is not for you its part and parcel of working in the industry!:*

Lite
20th Jan 2007, 20:49
bmibabyfc if you cant deal with diverts and extra pax than maybe the aviation industry is not for you its part and parcel of working in the industry!:*

Sorry, but I don't know if you have any passenger services experience, however having to deal with a lot of diverted aircraft is a very stressful experience for all involved - whether you're one of the passengers who aren't where they want to be, or one of the staff trying to deal with the aforementioned pax, on top of all the ones you've been expecting. With already minimum staff numbers, a day full of diversions is always a headache, which nobody wants, and is different from a challenge. There's more to diversions than being able to see aircraft that don't usually fly into your local you know, somebody has to deal with the people inside!

bmibabyfc
20th Jan 2007, 21:57
You know Lite i couldnt have put it better myself son......

fao emababy - i hate diverts for a reason, pax panic and its very hard work trying to organise everyone. Very enjoyable though once all over as i look back and smile.

But as lite mentioned its very stressful and by your comments i guess your not in the aviation industry ?

SAM-EMA
21st Jan 2007, 15:26
Okay, we know that diversions are a hassle, but is there anything more important to talk about, like the remaining WW a/c, any progress with the new arrivals area and pier, and any new FR announcements etc.

Regards SAM-EMA

Fried_Chicken
21st Jan 2007, 20:00
Terminal work coming along nicely

The steel framework hasn't been blown away then in the recent gusts :}

FC

Aerial Anarchist
24th Jan 2007, 16:18
Since the crazy security arrangements were introduced last year EMA has been handing to passenger’s plastic bags prior to the security check area. Today I note that they have installed a vending machine that charges you 50pence ( cost wholesale 5p?) to obtain the required plastic bag. Shame on you Penny! Despite the recent award (won by a level of spin that even new Labour would be proud of!) the airport produces one of the worst passenger experiences in the UK- the 200metre queue for security is famous across the industry.
Now they expect you to shell out 50p for the coveted bag as you arrive at security, not 100mtrs before but within 5 meters as the unsuspecting passengers descend into the awful security grotto.
Sooner or later the paying public will "snap back" at what an awful experience air travel now is and the greed of EMA who are well known for such poor forward planning in facilities and shortsightedness will be part of that horrible legacy.
p.s. - once upon a time you could drop off and collect pax outside the terminal, not anymore, now you must enter the EMA run car park and the sensible free time allowance has been shortened to 10 minutes. Par for the course for this money grabbing faceless operation.It won't be the tree-hugging environment campaigners that destroy air travel it will be the yellow jacketed airport managers like Mrs P.C and other greedy puppets of MAN Mega airport.com!

bmibaby.com
24th Jan 2007, 17:54
p.s. - once upon a time you could drop off and collect pax outside the terminal, not anymore, now you must enter the EMA run car park and the sensible free time allowance has been shortened to 10 minutes. Par for the course for this money grabbing faceless operation.It won't be the tree-hugging environment campaigners that destroy air travel it will be the yellow jacketed airport managers like Mrs P.C and other greedy puppets of MAN Mega airport.com!

I agree with the sentiments that you raise, East Midlands Airport always prided itself with the old tag-line "your easy midlands airport" with a real sense of it being a local, friendly airport. Since it's been taken over by MAG, whilst we have seen a substantial growth in traffic (admittedly this was predicted for whoever the owners would have been) we have seen a real deterioration in terms of the airport's public face. Besides the generic MAG brand, there has been the name debacle, total chopping & changing of the terminal building with portakabin like extensions, the car park scenario mentioned earlier - it's all just a little bland & gouging.

On the positive side, the airport still does a considerable amount of work within the communities that it serves, they've spent a fortune on improving local public transport to/from the airport and the name now encompasses the region better.

oliema
24th Jan 2007, 19:53
Im sure i have just over heard someone about Continental at East Midlands Airport. Not sure when or if they are flying there soon or what. anyone got any information. It would be intresting as I know quite a few people from Derby that use there BHX to Newark route but they reduced it back to 1 a day. So maybe an expansion for EMA?:oh:

barrowboyblue!
25th Jan 2007, 10:26
50p for a plaggy bag - didn't know NEMA .. sorry EMA were that strapped for cash !!!- what a disgrace!! (I'll sell you one for 45!!!) -:E

Apologies for my earlier incorrect remark re- the plaggy bags-
After flying out the other day I see you actually get TWO bags for the price of 50p. Apologies to all concerned - a bargain in anyones book!:{

bbb

almost professional
25th Jan 2007, 11:43
I have mentioned it before but it is not EMA who stopped the drop off/pick up outside the terminal but the DEFT as part of the security crackdown-also whilst not commenting on the cost of said bag, the airport did provide them for the first few months of the restrictions, when passengers may not have been aware, but why should that carry on for ever-its surely not our job to provide these any more than it is to provide other items required for travel!

barrowboyblue!
25th Jan 2007, 12:57
quite right ap...
but it was the airport the cut the pick up/let down to 10mins-

and quite right on your second point too-
was very charitable EMA did provide small clear plastic bags for Joe public free of charge for that time - :D
(what did that come out of the budget for -the next re-brand!)

and why don't you want to comment on the price??? a little embarrassed maybe:O

just simple stuff that can make our journey thru the airport much better.
bbb:E

MonkeyB
25th Jan 2007, 14:50
Have they definitely still got another 733? They've promised it to everyone!

I heard that they're having trouble laying their hands on one...

MB

bmibaby.com
25th Jan 2007, 16:06
MonkeyB

An extra 737-300 has not been promised to anybody. The airline has laid out the bulk of the 2007 expansion programme going to BHX, any additional aircraft would go to the base most deserving of expansion commercially, be it because other routes are performing well, or because the airport authority have offered a good deal to base extra aircraft. I've not been told to think anything that alters the additional number of aircraft arriving this year.

Good news though to see bmi indeed has a weekend base A320 here for charters, I thought Air Malta was operating the entire XL programme, but appears that there's XL aircraft operating W-patterns & a bmi aircraft at the weekend. This ought to be good news for Menzies too, who otherwise would have been looking quiet.

SAM-EMA
25th Jan 2007, 16:30
bmibaby

So you mean, that there will not be any Air Malta a/c in, but there will be XL 737-800s (w-patterns) and BD 320s (weekends) instead. Will the BD a/c be the one that ops LBA in the week.

Thanks
SAM-EMA

bmibaby.com
25th Jan 2007, 17:33
SAM-EMA

No, the Air Malta Airbus 320 will stay as a week-long based unit at the airport, in addition to XL w-patterns (unsure of type though I'd presume the 737-800) and bmi A320 coming up from LHR (the LBA charter unit being unaffected.) bmi regional also operating the ERJ all Saturday on charter routes.

oliema
25th Jan 2007, 18:12
Is it true what people have been saying about ryanair having upto 9 aircraft based at east midlands by the end of 2007 :ooh:. I mean yes they are a good airline but not even bmibaby can handle 9 aircraft and they are based there properly. Do you think bmibaby have got any other expansion at any other airports apart from BHX, doesnt seem like it:(

bmibaby.com
25th Jan 2007, 18:56
bmibaby had nine based aircraft at EMA for the winter 2002/3 season, though some of these aircraft were operating W-patterns with other bases, at that point I think it was just CWL. It was because bmibaby wanted to grow very quickly, taking over all of the British Midland routes and trying to launch new routes. Sadly few of the unestablished routes ever stuck, indeed today's route network is almost identical to that of British Midland in 2000, just increased frequencies, lower fares and Prague. So we've really gone full circle. Ryanair are the future of the airport in terms of shorthaul; they have the lowest costs, a strong balance sheet and are committed to growth. I don't know about nine aircraft, but certainly significant expansion is more likely to come from FR than WW, sadly.

oliema
25th Jan 2007, 19:02
Yes it is sad however Ryanair would attract thousends of people and then bmibaby fight back and try some how of getting there passengers. but that wouldnt work because Ryanair are so big. The only reason Ryanair have such cheap flights is because they dont fly to big airports e.g Bmibaby used to fly EMA to Bordeaux. Ryanair fly EMA to Begerac which is close but isn't as big and thats where they make there money. if only bmibaby did that:ok: thats when we would see expansion

bmibaby.com
25th Jan 2007, 20:14
oliema

Sorry, but I get the feeling that you're either a spotter or a casual observer, rather than somebody who is actually involved with the airport, which is in the direction in which we want to steer this thread, however I will answer some of the points you mention, as it's clear you have a passion for what goes on.

bmibaby would be on a suicide mission if they wanted to go head-to-head with Ryanair, the airline would rather tap into core routes where they can become the major low-cost airline, it's the reason bmibaby have largely abandoned their French network at EMA, and also dropped Dublin, as well as Murcia. If bmibaby were to expand at EMA, it would only be to major cities which lack a current service from the airport or region, rather than finding the small niches in which Ryanair with their extremely low cost base are able to specialise in. Just because baby haven't added any aircraft at EMA in a while, does not mean we're doing a bad job or that our business model is flawed. Don't get me wrong, I'd love to see bmibaby with the most modern fleet of aircraft linking our bases with the major business & leisure centres of Europe, and had our management listened to us three years ago, we probably would be, but it's just not happening. bmibaby's future is either remaining in our niche as part of bmi, as an independent, or being taken over.

Lite
25th Jan 2007, 21:36
This ought to be good news for Menzies too, who otherwise would have been looking quiet.

Servisair still really pull the shots at EMA in terms of size, contracts and general clout. Menzies do a good job by providing a quality service, usually thanks to a more incentivised workforce, but it seems to come at a cost, airlines don't seem willing to pay for their product. I've heard they tried to go after a lot of Servisair contracts over the winter (First Choice, Air Malta, Spanair), but have returned empty handed. I wonder if it would have been different had aviance or Swissport come to the airport in 2002?

Binder
27th Jan 2007, 14:22
BmiBaby,

How profitable is Bmibaby?

In 2005 the BMI group posted profit £10 million on turnover £ 869 million.
This includes BmiBaby. This is not spectucular! In your opinion, are Baby propping up the group or is it the other way round?

Binder

Lite
27th Jan 2007, 19:48
oliema, I'm not quite sure why you think it's so sad that Ryanair are expanding at East Midlands Airport. The airline is clearly committed to growth at the airport, in a way we simply have never seen from the bmi group under any of their incarnations (British Midland, British Midland Commuter, bmi regional, bmibaby), and Ryanair are helping add destinations where there is clearly a strong demand, but would never have even been a blip on the radar of bmibaby. I'm not going into the whole sales spiel, but Ryanair are a very important part of the airport's operation now, and hopefully long may this continue.

Terminal work continues to change every day. You'll probably have noticed that the check-in hall is being slowly chopped & changed, as the airport is keen for retail units to be increased in the decreasing landside space. Considering that ticketing functions are decreasing for tour operators, it seems that only the main tour operators; Thomson, MyTravel (their unit has been halved in space), First Choice, Thomas Cook (moving into a smaller unit), Aviation Affairs and Airport-Agencies (the latter two representing various smaller tour operators) will have a ticket desk in the terminal, alongside those of the airlines. The leftover space is going to be used for small retail outlets within the check-in hall, to compliment the Caffe Ritazza, which will indicate where the landside part of the terminal will end.

owenkirk2005
27th Jan 2007, 20:06
Ryanair is great for the airport, lots of flights and to places where lots of people want to go, and at a low price! for example dublin, this used to be around £50 return on bmibaby but then on ryanair its around £21 including taxes return. I noticed yesterday that the roof is now on the new pier, works progressing fast, any images of it?

Flyboy543
28th Jan 2007, 00:04
Have seen a copy of the Thomson summer 07 programme from EMA, although still says 'subject to change' in red letters at the top!

Based at EMA will be 2x B752 and 1x B738 confirming no based B767. There is a lot of 'W' patterns (LBA LTN & BHX) on both types. One each day, with both 757's doing 'W' patterns on a Sunday. Seems they have only added one more destination than last year, VAR but increased frequencies insted of adding more destinations ie PMI is now 8 weekly with 2 trips on Thurs & Fri.

Dosn't have any information on W patterns opperating into EMA with other based a/c.

Flyboy

NutLoose
28th Jan 2007, 14:16
Hi, Ok this is a composite picture showing from the Runway all the way round to the Old JCB hangar and I took them at the height of the Diversions when the apron was Chocker with diversions....... I was standing on an Airstair that had a mind of its own in the winds :yuk:

You will also see the new Pier as it stood then, the file is 2.2mb in size so will post a link for you that wish to see it.. Please dont post the pic itself on here as the prune site bandwith will take a dent :)

http://mysite.orange.co.uk/donno2006/EGNX_Diversions.jpg

SAM-EMA
28th Jan 2007, 14:39
Great pic, Nut Loose, thanks for posting.

SAM-EMA

Lite
28th Jan 2007, 16:13
EasyJet self-service check-in machines are being removed from the airport at the beginning of next month. We've not been told why, but I think it was just an experiment to see how they'd work, and after three years I guess the airline would rather check people in using a desk or online, rather than investing in these machines.

tui doll
28th Jan 2007, 16:50
Normally, Thomsonfly's 'W' patterns work for e.g:- one crew operating the ema-alc-lba (this crew taxying back to ema) - meanwhile another ema crew are taxying upto lba to take over the aircraft to operate lba-alc-ema.

Can you confirm the total number of flights per week for the Summer'07 programme? Thanks

Flyboy543
29th Jan 2007, 12:05
Including all the W patterns there's 37 departures each week with 8 W flights. 23 are 757 flights and the rest 738. PM me if you want the whole timetable :ok:

SAM-EMA
31st Jan 2007, 15:22
From May, XL will be basing an aircraft in Larnaca to open up new flights from there to EMA. Other airports that will be served are: LTN, DTV and HUM.

PLUS: FR Deliveries; Will it be.....?
1 on the 12th, 1 on the 19th and the last on the 26th.
Please correct if I'm wrong.

bmibaby.com
31st Jan 2007, 19:33
For those of you who've been wanting to find out exactly what is meant by the terminal developments, the airport has now released a press statement;

New Look For Airport Terminal In 2007

Work is well underway on a significant redevelopment programme for the passenger terminal at East Midlands Airport – Nottingham, Leicester, Derby costing more than £8 million and improving facilities for over 4.7 million customers every year.

Construction began during the winter months of 2006 and the changes will be completed in time for the busy summer season which starts in April. A new escalator, staircase and lift are currently being installed in the departure lounge and the reconfiguration of the retail space is now taking place, with the first shop opening at the end of January. The mini bus station (interchange), being added to the arrivals area of the terminal building, is also being built and will be ready for shop fitting towards the end of February. All airside (beyond security) refurbishments are due to commence at the end of January.

A new pier with a high level walkway from the existing departure lounge is now under construction – this will allow passengers to walk undercover to a newly constructed gate lounge, which will serve six aircraft stands. The new gate lounge will be energy efficient obtaining the heat for the building from the ground. In addition the toilets will use rain water for flushing, reducing the impact on the environment. A number of commercial contracts have now been agreed and the Airport can announce that:

NCP (National Car Parks) has just been awarded a three year contract, starting March 2007, to manage the coaching and car parking operation. The company will be responsible for getting customers to and from the car parks to the terminal using a new fleet of low emission vehicles, which have just been purchased.

Jamie Christon, EMA General Manager Retail Trading said,
“We’re absolutely delighted that a company leading the industry with experience and an excellent reputation in this area of the business will be serving the Airport. Customers will be able to use the new, environmentally friendly fleet of coaches and will undoubtedly appreciate the first class service that NCP will provide to passengers during their journey.”

Peter Mawson, Airport Commercial Manager, National Car Parks Ltd said,
“NCP is delighted to be working with East Midlands Airport at such an exciting time in its development. We believe that our expertise in car parking will contribute towards even further improving the experience for customers using the Airport. Our aim is to provide a service which is a seamless as possible and allows passengers to park pay and get away as quickly and easily as possible.”

SSP (Select Service Partner) will continue to manage catering concessions in the terminal building and has been given a seven year contract. SSP has committed more than £2 million on developing a new Soho Coffee Company outlet to open in February, a new first floor bar with views across the runway, a landside sandwich shop in the Check-In Hall and a larger Caffe Ritazza in the departure lounge.

Alpha Airports Group has been awarded a seven year contract to operate duty free, catering and newsagents within the terminal building. Alpha has committed to spend £2 million in developing and refitting the existing units, to include a refurbished and extended duty free, a new airside newsagent, a bookshop and a refitted food hall.

A five year contract has also been secured by Alliance Boots to operate a new, enlarged store in the departure lounge. Jamie continued, “The Airport is very pleased that the Nottingham based company will continue to serve our passengers after ten successful years of trading here at the Castle Donington site. We have managed to provide a larger area in the departure lounge for the business to relocate from its original location before security”.

Finally, the Airport is relocating its Spar convenience store to a new, larger unit in the bus interchange. The shop will continue to sell those last minute food and drink purchases for both arriving and departing passengers, meeters and greeters and those travelling to and from the Airport by public transport. The expanded store will now also sell newspapers and magazines, food to go and hot drinks. Jamie said, “Spar has become a very popular addition to the Airport over the last five years. This brand new and greatly enlarged unit will allow the company to vastly increase its range and be a welcome improvement to all our customers”.

All this comes less than a week after East Midlands Airport secured the title of ‘Best Regional UK Airport’ at the Travel Weekly Globe Awards, beating other airports such as Manchester, Birmingham, London Gatwick and Stansted, who were also nominated in the category.

I've heard that the new sandwich shop in the check-in hall is going to be built where the old Thomas Cook ticket desk was. I can imagine that will please Servisair (as surely it blocks Desk 32) and easyJet (who now have a sandwich shop obscuring the view of their lovely orange wall.)

almost professional
31st Jan 2007, 19:46
much more important-is the sandwich shop going to be subway? if so will be fatal for the ATC waistline!

Lite
31st Jan 2007, 21:15
I had heard that it was going to be a Subway, after all, there was supposed to be a retail outlet of Subway opening for Summer 2006, but at the last minute there were contract issues, and they decided not to go ahead. My only issue about having a Subway in the check-in hall, is that unless it is a proper restaurant, the smell of the vinegars etc that they use could end up overpowering everybody working/queuing for desks 30 - 32! I've not heard any objections that Servisair have for them building a new sandwich shop, especially as we don't use 32 to check in passengers.

bmibaby.com
1st Feb 2007, 09:09
Does anybody know how the CUSS machines are doing? I heard today that the CUSS in front of the bmibaby desks might be being pulled out, and that Servisair weren't best impressed with the ones they're forced to use.

bmibabyfc
1st Feb 2007, 09:47
yes Servisair havnt been impressed by these CUSS machines from all accounts. Theres no need to use them on families travelling on charter flights, they should be targetted at the hand baggage bus pax.

As long at i dont see them at the baby check in !!!!

Nimrod6
1st Feb 2007, 12:43
Hi everyone, I'm new to the thread.

Just want to see if anyone has heard any more about FCA and a based B787 from 2008?

Lite
1st Feb 2007, 16:36
The problem with the CUSS machines, is that we have absolutely no control over them. Whilst they're not difficult to use, unlike the machines installed at Manchester, the handling agents have not been trained to use these (ie how to rectify an issue if something goes wrong) or simply to be able to provide the customer service element of the machines, this role going to the airport's customer service assistants. Servisair don't like the fact we have to use these machines, despite the fact no airline will pay to use them and all our staff do is sit behind the bag drops which is a dull shift. The airport also hasn't done a particularly good job of marketing them, there is hardly any signage for the machines, and the package holiday pax that these machines are targetted for, simply want to use the check-in desks they're familiar with.

Mr Angry from Purley
1st Feb 2007, 17:21
Hi Sam

I notice in March the FR morning flight goes EMA-DUB-EMA iso DUB-EMA-DUB so I guess another aircraft is due soon :\

UFGBOY
1st Feb 2007, 17:36
Anybody heard of UKIA - based EMA doing DXB/ISB + cANADA?

Meant to be a start up...

SAM-EMA
1st Feb 2007, 18:22
UFGBOY try reading the thread about UKIA. All the info you will want is on there, except they are only starting flights to Asia, not Canada (well to start with anyway).

Chilli Monster
2nd Feb 2007, 23:20
It's photo time again:

http://www.wheelerweb.org/images/nema/102_0308.JPG

Lounge area roof goes on - tower to the left is for the incoming walkway which, as can be seen from this picture, has quite a distance to cover from the pier tower at the bottom of the shot

http://www.wheelerweb.org/images/nema/102_0311.JPG

WATABENCH
3rd Feb 2007, 11:07
Beware the Subway in the check-in hall, doesn't do much for your waistline and the smells eminating from it will make you feel either sick or very very hungry, TV comes in handy though, especially last year during the world cup, Its so popular here in BRS that the Kosmar and ACE Handling desks are being moved so they can expand!

bmibaby.com
3rd Feb 2007, 12:37
Morale at bmibaby is right down around EMA, some very glum faces and people keen to move on to pastures new. Certainly seems all but confirmed that there will be no promised sixth aircraft for EMA in 2007, almost an open invite for Ryanair to keep eating away at us!

SAM-EMA
3rd Feb 2007, 20:32
Shame about no 6th WW a/c but FR is committed to EMA and we will have at least 7 if not more FR a/c based by the end of the year.

Great pics Chilli Monster-Thanks.

How is the arrivals extension coming along? Is that where the repositioned Spar is going?

SAM-EMA

Lite
3rd Feb 2007, 20:49
Spar, Costa Coffee and the information desk are going into the new arrivals extension, as well as the omenously titled "bus interchange."

Little Blue
4th Feb 2007, 11:43
bmibaby.com...
You ought to pop yr head into the new Logistics Control office if you want
to feel more upbeat...
No morale problems in here.....Don't know who you've been mixing with up at the terminal.
Onwards and upwards , baby !

OltonPete
4th Feb 2007, 12:08
Little Blue

Things should be upbeat considering they are appearing to be doing
well at East Mids and trampling the opposition at BHX.

Will they press home their advantage, is this "other" aircraft going to
still happen and is there to be a third summer 07 release?

As mentioned on the Cardiff thread there are holes in the Cardiff and
BHX schedule (not sure about EMA & MAN), are these to be plugged?

OP

barrowboyblue!
5th Feb 2007, 17:29
''Beware the Subway in the check-in hall'' orig posted by WATABENCH

Subway, what subway - what will the locals say bout all those trains!!
(sorry!):{

Next your going to tell me there planning an '' exciting esculator'' in dep lounge !! - Just when I thought I'd seen it all!

Roll on the summer!

BYALPHAINDIA
5th Feb 2007, 19:54
I've been waiting over 7 years for them to 'Return' a suitable viewing terrace to it's loyal 'old' regular visitors, and the thousands of passers - by who filled the Terminal every weekend of the year calling at EMA, To spend their money as a stop off from the M1.:D

The terrace seemed to be 'removed' overnight with no consultation, or other facilities provided whatsoever.:hmm:

I am surprised Airtrans is still trading, after the lost business from the enthusiasts & passers - by alike?:(

That shop was always full even on weekdays popular with a range of people.

The last time I went to EMA was about 4 years ago to the Airfair, We didn't see one aircraft during the time we were there as there is nowhere to view from the terminal? The Airfair was as good as it always was, But It was not the same without a 'Panoramic' viewing terrace.

I have not visited since, As it is a waste of a carpark ticket, And obviously nowhere to view.:sad: I am 1 of many who has said this.

If you have no transport you cannot go to the viewing area by the Aeropark, And thus a pointless outing.

So, what is the future for any kind of terminal viewing facilities at NEMA?

Their owners the MAG group must be aware of how much revenue the Terminal area, Shops, Bars, etc have lost, And the Airport itself with all the carpark fees paid by the thousands of passer - bys?

If NEMA would have 'Persevered' with the then viewing terrace arrangements, I think that it would have paid for itself with what I have already stated above?

But they decided to use the terrace for a departure lounge, Which most people only spend 15 minutes in the end anyway?

Ive had many happy days at the then EMA, But this has being taken away by so called = 'progress'

I have wrote to the Airport about this, But like most companies I have yet to receive a reply?:ugh: and that was 4 years ago!!

Its beyond me........:*

RIP NEMA VIEWING TERRACE.

bmibaby.com
6th Feb 2007, 17:28
I appreciate your frustration about the EMA viewing terrace closing down, however the airport neither has the funds from MAG nor the planning permission to build a new terminal, so the airport, especially in light of all the additional passengers flying from EMA, has had to make do best with what they have. Not a weekend goes by when a member of the travelling public will not come up to anybody in a uniform, and I imagine this is particularly annoying for the information desk, asking whether there is somewhere they can take the kids to watch the planes, or wave off Auntie Margaret. The problem is, these people do not bring in the same kind of money that fare paying passengers do, so the space is simply better utilised creating more departure lounge space. I imagine now that car parking prices are what they are, most people wanting a quick coffee or meal off of the M1, just go to the Moto services next door to the airport, people coming into the airport to spend £1.50 on parking and £5 on a sandwich and coffee aren't the prime target customer for the airport, it's people who want to fly. I think closing the viewing terrace has been a bad thing for airport relations with the local community, and is even more surprising given Manchester Airport's good reputation with the aviation enthusiast community. Hopefully the airport will continue investing in the Aeropark however, and I know this, alongside the nature trail around the airport permiter, all attracts not only spotters but the curious general public.

Any news from Ryanair whether we will now be getting flights from Weeze to EMA? Central Germany certainly ought to be on the airport's target.

Regular Cappuccino
8th Feb 2007, 20:30
"What is the largest a/c that the pax apron can accommodate?"

If by 'pax apron' you mean the Central Apron - Code 'D', which, although including larger types, normally equates to B767-300 or A300 for this apron.
Two B747 stands have existed for many years on the eastern Apron, which, while originally intended for freighters prior to the western apron being built, could be used for pax aircraft if necessary (subject to the stands not being obstructed by a/c parked on adjacent stands).

UPS@EMA
9th Feb 2007, 14:52
Has EMA lost the GB Airways / BA flights to Tenerife after the winter schedule????? doesnt show in the online summer route offering.. I thought GB Airways were looking at expanding destinations from EMA and BRS for that matter. Are they just waiting for what happens with the BA franchise?

Ive heard EMA is gonna have 3 routes announced in next few weeks from Ryanair just after the first batch of new routes start next week and the week after. word has it that PMI, ALC and NRN will be the new routes and then maybe HHN

Regards

Stu

egnxema
9th Feb 2007, 15:10
AFAIK GB return on the TFS EMA route at the end of the summer for the winter 07/08 season.

eu01
9th Feb 2007, 15:21
Any news from Ryanair whether we will now be getting flights from Weeze to EMA? Central Germany certainly ought to be on the airport's target.You're certainly right. However, the airport (NRN) happens to be just 2 kilometers from Germany's... western border ;). A good entry point to the Netherlands, by the way (just rent a car).

NutLoose
9th Feb 2007, 23:38
Weather was awful when I took this, snowing etc, but as you can see they are lifting the new walkways into place, having been assembled in the old carpark area.........

Its coming along nicely and bigger than I thought it was going to be........ as for the comments for the viewing area, I agree, I used to wander up sometimes when I was erm working LOL and have a look out........ it was always popular, but reminded me of a baboon enclosure the way it was all fenced in lol.................... no offence to everyone in it :)

http://mysite.orange.co.uk/il2_skinners_guides/terminal_walkway.jpg

Mr Angry from Purley
10th Feb 2007, 10:18
UPS

Could be true, noticed that FR have announced flights to ALC and PMI from LPL which is in direct competition with Easyjet, something the loco's don't normally do. :\

finding_nema
11th Feb 2007, 13:34
I'm hoping to start working for Servisair this summer, so am following this thread and the Ryanair expansion with real interest. The pictures are of really good quality, and I'm looking forward to going to the airport soon to see it all in action.

Out of interest, via PM or on the board, does anyone have any particular opinions of Servisair? Also are all of the gates and check-in desks shared, or does each handling agent have set ones?

bmibaby.com
11th Feb 2007, 15:28
At EMA, Servisair are really the big cheeses when it comes to ground handling. They handle all the charter airlines (with the exception of TCX), including the ones who only fly in a few times a week, as well as FR & EZY. Their subsidiary Airport Agencies is responsible for the representation of all the major tour operators (again with the exception of Thomas Cook.) They're a great company to get some valuable aviation experience with, though with difficult working conditions many seem to move over to bmibaby, Menzies (a growing company, though apparently clinging desperately onto the TCX contract) or try a job elsewhere.

I've noticed there isn't really much standardisation within the company in terms of branding though. Everybody refers to the company as "Servisair" with uniforms, ground equipment and desks in a variety of "Servisair" "Servisair Globeground" and "Penauille Servisair" logos and liveries.

ALTSEL
12th Feb 2007, 16:10
Does anybody know why the dutch reg ATP that is parked on stand 45 has no rudder,Elevators or ailerons? - in the past if you did not pay your fees to EMA they used to block you in by parking a snow plough behind your a/c - this new method is rather harsh but quite expected from the crooks that charge the poor pax 50p for a pre-security plastic bag!

EastMids
12th Feb 2007, 19:33
quite expected from the crooks that charge the poor pax 50p for a pre-security plastic bag!
LOL! :D
Does anybody know why the dutch reg ATP that is parked on stand 45 has no rudder,Elevators or ailerons?
The ATP was damaged in the high winds a few weeks ago and bits are off for repair.

A

NutLoose
12th Feb 2007, 21:04
It is an Atlantic Airways one I believe, she was parked tail into wind during the storms the other week, wasn't doing to bad from what is said until they tried to turn her round into wind at the height of the storm, did a fair bit of damage so they are all off for repair, she has been in BMI's hangar a couple of times, but they are using the bays at the moment, so she is being worked on out on the apron.

NutLoose
12th Feb 2007, 21:06
I've noticed there isn't really much standardisation within the company in terms of branding though. Everybody refers to the company as "Servisair" with uniforms, ground equipment and desks in a variety of "Servisair" "Servisair Globeground" and "Penauille Servisair" logos and liveries.

The term for the Serviceair ground equipment if you were to sell it would be "shabby chic" lol, rumour has it they buy all their good stuff from Albert Looms........

saman
13th Feb 2007, 10:35
Can the Hire Car pickup area either be given a covered walkway from the terminal or could EMA be relocated to a dryer part of Europe?

The latter is the preferred solution but Option 1 would be a start for us poor visitors!

egnxema
14th Feb 2007, 21:37
Buy a brolley!:}

owenkirk2005
14th Feb 2007, 22:48
Just been reading the newcastle forum and there looks like the royal mail are starting an extra route by the end of the year, any details on where? i guess somehere in the UK, maybe the south-west, or Ireland? Also theres an aircraft for stansted royal mail ops if the newcastle forum is correct.

en2r
15th Feb 2007, 00:02
Owenkirk 2005
Here in Ireland we have our own postal network, An Post and have nothing to do with Royal Mail besides exhanging international post like we do with other Mail networks around the world, so I really cannot see why you think they would be setting up a new air route to here?

10 DME ARC
15th Feb 2007, 07:40
Owen - The Newcastle thread refers to an extra mail flight starting end March from NCL to East Midlands, the stansted part was talking about our present mail flight not from EMA!

UPS@EMA
15th Feb 2007, 09:00
UKIA's first 767 should be arriving in EMA 10th March now. Anyone heard how preperations are going in Brunei?
Also, all Ryanairs new flights should all be up n running by 27th. Is there any other exciting prospects for EMA this year? additional long haul from First Choice or are we going to have to wait for the 787's to join the fleet?
having flown out the airport 2 weeks ago for the first time in quite a while, just wondered where the access to the new pier will be from? is it out from upstairs or going to be access from the last gate? I will be heading back out to Malaysia soon so trying to learn as much as poss
Regards
Stu

The Real Slim Shady
15th Feb 2007, 17:32
UPS

And it will no doubt sit there for a while as the booking engine doesn't show any flight availability.

Lite
17th Feb 2007, 17:36
The problem, if you want to call it a problem, with the Servisair branding is that we have changed our branding three times over a very short space of time. The company has been "Servisair," "Servisair GlobeGround" and now "Penauille Servisair" all in a short time, all with different logos, liveries and uniforms. It seems the new branding for the Penauille Servisair GSE is simply white, with a small logo placed somewhere on it. The other type I have seen, is the new branding on our Penauille Servisair Cargo lorries, which I've heard might be extended to all ground equipment. They are a navy blue, with a close up visual of the Servisair globe in white and the Penauille Servisair type face along the side. The company is going for more standardisation and making the company more competitive under the fairly new CEO, so we shall hopefully see us moving away from this "Circusair" image.

barrowboyblue!
17th Feb 2007, 20:59
With reference to the covered walkway to hire car - car park - I agree -
But you could always buy a plaggy bag from the airport terminal and stick that over your head!!
(could make a rainhat out of them - they're only 50p ... and you get 2!!):E

I challenge nEMA to send the profits of this scam to charity!!

btw flew with baby the other day again to Scotland and the service on board as ever very good - (more personable than FR)
usually helps when the crew are ex BM- bring home the baby!!:D

almost professional
17th Feb 2007, 21:06
why is it a scam to have a vending machine providing something that most people should know is required and have the oportunity to bring, but which some will forget? should the airport also provide toothpaste if you forget it?

easyboy
17th Feb 2007, 21:11
the bags have to be within the dimensions set out by the DFT. I'm sure most people won't have them at home.

I think that an airport charging for a pastic bag is shocking.

barrowboyblue!
17th Feb 2007, 21:27
Quite right easyb - a box of plaggy bags doesn't cost a great deal compared to the amount Joe Bloggs spends at the airport!! Just a gesture thats all we want- (if not- instead of charging - just steal a load from Tesco's or Sainsbury's - there free there!)

On a positive note - security staff also always more personable and efficent compared those down the M42 - not such a chore. Keep it up.:ok:

almost professional
18th Feb 2007, 09:10
OK then-why is it the airports job to provide these free of charge? we did not put the restrictions in place-perhaps the Airlines would like to take this on? or the handling agents?- like luggage labels-no thought not, passengers pay less and less to use the facilities to depart, less and less to fly, and you are complaining about a 50p charge to obtain something should you have need-its not compulsory, unlike liverpools departure 'Tax'

easyboy
18th Feb 2007, 09:44
Yes, perhaps the Airline or the Handling Agents should provide these small plastic bags, but regardless of who deals with them - there should be no charge for a DFT regulation.

If anybody should be covering the cost of these then it should be down to the DFT directly, and not the Airports etc.

IMHO
18th Feb 2007, 09:57
Sorry AP I agree with easyboy and blue on this.
Maybe it's not the provision of the bags, but the cost.
50p for 2 plastic bags is a little OTT.
Good to see work coming on well for the pier.

Flyboy543
18th Feb 2007, 09:57
Why don't G4S provide them, after all they are the ones enforcing the rules? The airport has sub-contracted the security to G4S so am suprised EMA provided them from the beginning!

UPS@EMA
19th Feb 2007, 08:49
Heard that raised walk way is now in place, any new pics??? Bin busy moving back to the warmth of Malaysia, and life within the busy cargo department of a classy company :hmm:

Chilli Monster
19th Feb 2007, 19:14
Funny you should mention that.

Almost P (aka David Bailey) was scuttling around the building and balcony this morning:

http://www.wheelerweb.org/images/nema/walkway_1.jpg

http://www.wheelerweb.org/images/nema/walkway_2.jpg

http://www.wheelerweb.org/images/nema/walkway_3.jpg

finding_nema
19th Feb 2007, 19:24
Thank you for the pictures. I've had all my handling agent interviews for this summer season, but those gates look like quite a long walk from the main terminal building. I'm already picturing people running frantically to those gates just in the nick of time before departure. Where is the entrance to that walkway? Is it upstairs? And will it be used by all airlines?

almost professional
19th Feb 2007, 19:32
Access will be from upstairs in the existing terminal-the escalator was delivered today-there will also be a lift, not sure if there will be certain specific airlines using these gates or whether it will be as now a bit adhoc

SAM-EMA
19th Feb 2007, 21:03
Thanks great pics and pier/walkway is now looking really good.

Does anyone know if the new FR routes have been doing well so far with loads etc?

Cheers
SAM-EMA

UPS@EMA
20th Feb 2007, 10:14
Anyone any info as to how the Mytravel Mombasa flights / holidays are selling??? not heard anything and start in a few weeks

Regards

Stu

UPS@EMA
22nd Feb 2007, 10:57
Thinking back quite a while, is the extension to the runway ever going to go ahead?
also extension to the eastern cargo ramp is also on the cards. UPS are still looking at building a new hub at the eastern end of the airport of smaller size than DHL but bigger than current hub building.
Reading paper reports, it makes this pier sound like its going to be over 2 levels all the way down. thats totally wrong isnt it
Regards
Stu

Ian Farquharson
22nd Feb 2007, 12:31
UPS@EMA

Thinking back quite a while, is the extension to the runway ever going to go ahead?

You should try being a BHX spotter, we have been waiting forever !

paul atkins
22nd Feb 2007, 15:09
hey all i know the mombassa route is a split load with manchester and it is not available next year so i would imagine bookings are not at there best cheers paul

SAM-EMA
22nd Feb 2007, 20:11
Are there any noticable differences inside the terminal yet apart from the few new shops in the check-in hall that have been discussed previous. I haven't been in the terminal for a while. How is the arrivals extension/bus interchange coming along?

Thanks for replies
SAM-EMA

finding_nema
22nd Feb 2007, 20:30
When I had my interview on Monday at the airport, the building work seemed to be coming along very well. The terminal from where Caffe Ritazza is, all the way to the entrance to Central Search had new beige tiles down, the new World News shop which will eventually be in the departure lounge was open for business, and Boots had closed down waiting for their move airside. The bus interchange area's external features seem to now be complete, it looks very stylish, all big windows and metallic panels, but the area is still currently fenced off. My understanding is that this will be the new area for the information desk, Spar, Costa Coffee and the bus interchange is a nice way of saying a seating area with views of the bus stops. I believe that where the current bus stops are in front of the arrivals exit will now be used for the car park shuttles.

Interesting news about the new pier, where is the new escalator going? Will it be by the Three Cities Bar at the end of the current concourse? Presumably inside it's just toilets, podiums and seating - as opposed to any retail space.

SAM-EMA
22nd Feb 2007, 20:43
Thanks, coming along well then.

And yes, the from what i understand the escalator will go up from the current bar (previously where Impulse records was) and then will come down into the 'boarding lounge' in the pier where there will be a seating area, but limited facilities-no shops. I suppose it will be similar to the holding area at DSA for gates 4-6 (if you know DSA that is).

Cheers SAM-EMA

UPS@EMA
25th Feb 2007, 16:48
All,

Airtours are to operate routes from EMA to Jamaica Montego Bay and China. The Jamaica flights are weekly from July this summer and China from october.

Regards

finding_nema
25th Feb 2007, 16:57
When was this announced, and will they just be extensions of existing services from Manchester or Gatwick? Certainly with the Jamaican flights they are leaving it very late for putting these flights on sale. Also, is there any news on whether MyTravel or Thomas Cook are to move handling agent?

SAM-EMA
25th Feb 2007, 16:58
Thats great news for EMA. The airport said they wanted destination more further afield, looks like they have got some.

Cheers
SAM-EMA

Mike16
25th Feb 2007, 17:28
Hi Guys

Wel lgreat news for East Midlands airport and about time too....

But i went on airtours website and jamaica is on there but i think only for 3 months ????? and i went to get a price and it says no dates available :ugh: :ugh: :ugh: :ugh: :ugh: :ugh: :ugh: :ugh:
Regarding china, it says only Manchester and London, not EMA.
Well one can dream.....

Michael

UPS@EMA
25th Feb 2007, 18:08
Mike,

Why dream when its on EMA's website. china details will be announced shortly and with regards to Jamaica, the holidays havent been loaded yet as only announced yesterday

stu

Mike16
25th Feb 2007, 19:34
Hi Ups

Where on EMA's website does it say this ?
I canot see anything for china or Jamaica, i must be going blind in my old age........ lol

Thanks

Mike

paul atkins
25th Feb 2007, 19:37
hey mike the details are click on flight information then click summer destinations cheers paul

Mike16
25th Feb 2007, 19:44
Hi

Got it, wow !!!!!!!!!!!!

East midlands is going for it now, lets hope they really advertise this, But it only seems to be doing this for a few weeks, if it was a perm thing i am sure this would take of, Good on EMA though and not BHX......

Mike

SAM-EMA
26th Feb 2007, 17:34
On the note of new long-haul routes;

The new flights to Islamabad and Sharjah with UKIA should start the first week in May. Flights should go on sale in early April, so not that long for bookings really.

SAM-EMA

Mr Angry from Purley
26th Feb 2007, 19:43
SAM EMA
Watch out for the flying pig is all i will say :\

cozzy
2nd Mar 2007, 12:39
Having passed thru EMA yesterday on way to AMS with BMIb, thought I would share my impressions re: terminal development - I last used the airport in December and I'm impressed by the amount of development that has taken place in a relatively short time.

Check - In - notice AirTrans is up and running in their new permanent home, but with considerably less square footage... me thinks some cut price sales on the way to clear stock...

Check in to Security - despite the white hoardings the development doesn't present any inconvenience - however the "shiny" floor tiles covering part of this area seem an accident waiting to happen, hope the EMA owners have up to date litigation insurance, someone is going to go proverbial over the other proverbial this year, I'm sure. New retail units look the part.

Security - obviously enlarged now and so much for the better. No queue but hey, it's only winter. Mind you EMA not the only a/p to have security delays, try AMS area H on a Thursday evening - ridiculous.

The main departure lounge is becoming very impressive, the new stairs providing much better access to the first floor, however I think there might be a danger of that whole area passing most people by, unless there's a significant attraction added on - maybe this is in the pipeline given the WIP on a mezzanine near the bottom of the old stairs.

The retail units / bars / eating outlets are of a quality that befits any airport and certainly helps shed any "little old EMA" image. The duty frees are 10 x better than when I flew thru here nearly 50 times in 2001 / 2 whilst on a project in Dublin.

Only "blot" now seems to be Gate 1 to 5 area, looking tired - this seems to be an anomaly in itself now, given that it's not exclusively for UK / Belfast / ROI seeing as baby use it for the AMS flight. Wonder if it will get a facelift as well as the rest of the terminal?

Finally, immigration seems to have extra desks now (or am I imagining it) though can't wait until I'm one of the throng coming off the FCA 767 from Sanford in August (not). Baggage reclaim a bit sluggish but again can't help thinking this area will become overwhelmed when 250 plus holidaymakers fight to get their baggage.

Will no doubt use EMA before August and if so, happy to report again. PS for benefit of bmibaby employees on this thread, once again a pretty faultless service overall.

Flyboy543
6th Mar 2007, 16:02
Some news from the ramp, as of 1st April Menzies will be handeling easyJet at EMA. This has been confirmed from Servisiar management so isn't a rumour anymore!

We'll see what happens in the next few weeks with a few other carriers.

paul atkins
9th Mar 2007, 12:32
flights to tenerife from october have been withdrawn from ba's flight booking engine i hope this is a error otherwise middle of may it is the end of ba's flights from ema

almost professional
9th Mar 2007, 12:49
I think they were always going to be winter only?

Fried_Chicken
9th Mar 2007, 16:53
In addition, the flights were marketed using the "BA Connect" brand (despite being operated by GB) which has recently become part of the FlyBE product & with BA looking at its franchisee partners (Bmed has fled to bmi), the aircraft may be better suited elsewhere.

Fried Chicken

egnxema
9th Mar 2007, 19:14
Its probably a good idea to keep an eye on the GBAirways thread - many rumours about the airline's BA partnership on there - plus a look at the airline's own website seems to have a strong resemblance to another very red airline - have a look.

:)

bmibaby.com
11th Mar 2007, 21:38
I can't really see the GB Airways service returning, and was a bit sceptical of the route in the first place. Tenerife is already well served by all of the charter airlines at East Midlands, and now that TFS will be served a few times a week from Thomsonfly branded as a scheduled service - plus Monarch Scheduled flying from BHX - I wondered how BA expected to fit, especially with a BA Connect branded service which was decisively low-cost. I know there is a market for Tenerife, but expect if there is a scheduled service it will be operated by Thomsonfly this winter. No chance of WW on the route, besides the fact I'm not sure if the 733 can make it, it's too long a sector length for us.

Sadly no chance of our much promised sixth aircraft, but I'm sure the existing five could be used more efficiently to squeeze more routes or frequencies out of them.

Mike16
15th Mar 2007, 05:47
Hi Guys

How is everyone ?
This is bad news for UKIA, i really hope this carrier does take off.....
I was wondering how the MYT service did the other night, i see there first flight took off for Mombassa, was the loads good ?
It is so nice to see EMA doing well now.
Does anyone know how the booking s are going for the Jamaica and China flights are doing ?
I must say, this is great news, but where are the adverts ??????
I see XL and the odd EZY advert in the Derby City Centre area and in the local Derby press.
Also any new pics on the new pier ?

Take care all

Mike

karnak
17th Mar 2007, 08:37
but that is the exact strategy of bmi not just bmb you need some strategists I agree ryan will probably take things over but bmb are a better brand and it would be a shame if it didn't expand at EMA the way it is at BHX

bmibaby.com
17th Mar 2007, 17:21
I agree with you that bmibaby is an excellent brand, and following the new open for business package which was launched recently, we ought to be considerably more competitive in the low-cost airline arena. The problem is, a number of markets that we've tried in the past or considered trying, have now been taken up by Ryanair, and there is no chance that bmibaby would entertain the idea of competing, particularly in discretionary leisure travel markets where price is key. Add to that easyJet's stagnant but forboding presence, and a bigger Thomsonfly scheduled service, bmibaby are surrounded by all angles as to where they could expand to next. At the moment with BA Connect being merged into flybe, BHX provides excellent opportunities to soak up the demand which the new flybe will not be able to handle alone.

Eventually, I'd probably predict the battle ground will be drawn between Ryanair and bmibaby at EMA, with Thomsonfly also operating in key Med leisure markets. If EasyJet's base was loss-making they would have pulled out, but if it was doing very well they would have expanded, and I imagine the airline is potentially looking at markets where the Airbuses could potentially be better utilised (BRS and LPL following the flybe merger could accomodate the odd extra Airbus for the loss of certain BA routes at BRS and MAN). Considering they are now in their fifth year of flying from EMA and have just announced a new handling agent, I'd say they're safe for now, but it surely makes more sense for them to operate from airports with growth potential.

cozzy
17th Mar 2007, 22:26
From a user of both the former BMI full service offering and BMI Baby from EMA for business use, I must say I can only praise BMIBaby - as per a previous post of mine I can't fault the service I've had.

I was sceptical I have to admit how BMI would risk the business revenue out of EMA by dumping all of the full service operations in favour of Baby's flights - judging by fact that during my 50 or so flights to Dublin during 2000/2001 the aircraft was moved from the Embraer to the F100 (and on one occasion I recall the A321 - but that was more for tech reasons I suspect) and the loadings were healthy with suits.

But I've flown twice recently to AMS on business since and for such a short flight, who cares if you don't get a free wrap and glass of wine, so long as the flight's on time?

Give me BMI rather than Mr Ryan's wgas attitude any day - for that reason I'm sort of pleased I don't have to travel to DUB any longer...!

SAM-EMA
20th Mar 2007, 21:14
With the recent merger of TUI and FCA, will we still get the much promised FCA 757 for the winter here at EMA?

As reagards to the charter fleets in the future, we will probably see 3 or maybe 4 a/c from the FCA/TUI merger over summer periods and 2, or maybe 3 from the MYT/TCX merger. Yes, four airlines down to 2, but still looking positive, even if it is 2 very nice liveries gone.

SAM-EMA

OltonPete
20th Mar 2007, 22:06
Per the CAA: -

A mere 331689 +25.2%!

Have I missed a previous post quoting this figure?

Some increase I have to say, even if it sticks in the throat a bit as a BHX local.

Wow!

OP

bmibaby.com
21st Mar 2007, 19:51
Considering there has been little talk of fleet reduction from both mergers; Thomas Cook and Thomsonfly, my guess would be the same number of aircraft will be based by each merged entity in S08 as we have now in S07, with the airlines using the overlap to either launch new routes, or boost frequencies on existing services to provide a schedule more suited to the independent traveller. The only thing I'd imagine would be fleet rationalisation, ie same number of aircraft but also same type. If the MYT longhaul flights are a success this year, then perhaps Thomas Cook will look into EMA as a longhaul base for the future. It seems the big winner from this will be Servisair who have the Thomsonfly contract and are aggressively targeting a post-merger Thomas Cook as the company has a lot of business with MyTravel in particular.

Happy 5th birthday to bmibaby! :D

finding_nema
29th Mar 2007, 14:23
Does anybody know whether the airport is still being considered for sale by Manchester Airport Group? Seems to be plenty of sales going on at the moment in the UK aviation industry, and I'll be particularly keen having just applied to bmibaby, to see how they end up in the bout of merger mania we're seeing.

Lite
29th Mar 2007, 14:50
I read that article with interest, but have to say bmibaby really have missed the boat when it comes to EMA expansion. Had the airline kept it's feet firm, which obviously it's harder to do as a start-up airline, they would have a major presence in large French cities; Bordeaux, Toulouse, Nice, Marseille and Lyon - and despite Ryanair not flying to any of these cities directly, the fact they serve provincial airports just up the road makes it difficult for WW to enter these markets. The same goes to Italy, Poland and the Spanish market.

If bmibaby does launch more routes, I think they're going to have to really get their act together if they want to do it for the summer season, the summer timetables have already begun and they'll want new routes up and running by May 1st to get the most out of the season. I'd imagine they'll tighten up their existing aircraft's schedules as some of them spend a fair amount of time sitting around, then maybe add an extra based aircraft, with the sixth aircraft having been promised to EMA staff for a while according to some of the baby people I know. My guess for new routes would be duplicating BHX routes plus maybe more Eastern European capitals.

EMA01
31st Mar 2007, 09:22
Its nice to know bmibaby still care about expanding at EMA with Ryanair moving in. I would have thought they should move the times for the Palma flight. 0110 in the morning it arrives. Lower pax on them flights then. I was on a flight from Belfast the other night into EMA and it was a B733 and it was full so they might possibly add another flight there. Who knows!

Is there any other information on when UKIA's aicraft is going to be coming to EMA might be a good spot when its landing.

EMA01:ok:

bmibaby.com
31st Mar 2007, 10:32
I don't think the case at all is that bmibaby don't care about the East Midlands market, but you have to remember that the airline is a business. I think because our head offices are just up the road, people expect us to be the flagship carrier for the airport, but that is no longer the case. Ryanair have expanded to a number of destinations that bmibaby have tried or mulled in the past, and are doing so with great success to the extent we could not re-enter those markets. Call that bad management or lack of foresight on our management's behalf, but bmibaby were one of the first low-cost regional airlines. The decision to expand the Birmingham base has been because an opportunity existed to enter markets following the demise of MyTravelLite and BA Connect, it simply made commercial sense to focus on that base. It would be nice if some of the BHX routes could be duplicated to EMA, but we will have to wait and see. With reference to Palma, I can only imagine that these times are better for short break customers - you arrive late on your arrival night but have the full day the next day and the day of your departure.

paul atkins
31st Mar 2007, 10:45
hey all had a email saying it is expected 7th or 8th of april and they are still hoping for may start , may concerns are still no sighting of these aircraft and you do not sell flights with 3 weeks of sales before operation

EMA01
31st Mar 2007, 11:54
Yes I agree. There website hasn't been finished yet either. By the way things are going I don't think they will do well. I might be wrong. Lets just hope they can attract passengers. I have just heard that bmibaby are looking at expanding services from EMA to Lisbon is this true. Are they looking at any routes into Germany e.g Dusseldorf for example. I know lots of people who have to travel to BHX to go to dusseldorf from Nottingham and Derby

bmibaby.com
31st Mar 2007, 17:29
bmibaby will not expand into Scandinavia or Germany at least until December, when the ECA finishes. Basically what this agreement means, was when half of the then British Midland was bought by SAS & Lufthansa, BM would cancel their services to that region unless LH or SK wanted them to operate it, and the three airlines would pool the losses/profits from the UK to Germany/Scandinavia market. Whilst there is definitely a market for flights from EMA to major German cities, Lufthansa will have any veto over these routes being launched, and slot availability is obviously a key factor. I've heard Aberdeen twice daily is a real possibility, plus more Med destinations.

paul atkins
31st Mar 2007, 21:27
a new ski route to start in december from the 22nd weekly flight to sofia

UPS@EMA
2nd Apr 2007, 14:16
Glad of the new route from Thomson. :D
How is the pier coming along, should be nearing completion shouldnt it?

Regards

Stu

bmibaby.com
2nd Apr 2007, 14:22
The new pier is supposed to open at the beginning of May, so we've got just under a month to go before it's officially opened. Otherwise work around the terminal seems to be really coming along, new central search area opened at the end of last week along with the arrivals building with the new information desk.
Hopefully some news on bmibaby's expansion plans over the next few weeks, it changes from day to day!

Flyboy543
2nd Apr 2007, 14:24
They better pull their finger out if they've only got a month to complete it! There's still windows to put in on the walkway before they can start to complete the inside! Lets hope they finish on time.

EMA01
4th Apr 2007, 13:16
bmibaby have just announced a new route from Cardiff and East Midlands to Ibiza. Finally... There will still only be 5 aircraft based however and looking at the timetables will work out nicely for the Paris flight which arrives in at 19:40 and then didnt do anything for the rest of the day! well done bmi!!

-bmibaby, has today (4th April 2007) announced the launch of a new three times a week service to the Balearic Island of Ibiza from East Midlands Airport and two times a week service from Cardiff International Airport. Flights from East Midlands start on 30th June 2007 and continue until 9th September 2007 and flights from Cardiff start on 16th July and continue until 7th September 2007. The new Ibiza route brings the total number of destinations served by bmibaby at East Midlands to 13 and also at Cardiff to 13.

-Flights from East Midlands - Mondays and Thursdays and Saturdays

Atleast we are getting some expansion from them! :D

EMA01 :ok:

bmibaby.com
4th Apr 2007, 14:21
Interesting move considering that Thomsonfly and easyJet have both moved into this market from East Midlands, but it wasn't too bad a route in the past. Good to see that bmibaby are understanding the importance of better utilisation of aircraft, though now both Balearic flights are landing in the wee hours into EMA.

paul atkins
4th Apr 2007, 16:51
thomsonfly are now operating 5 flights a week in peak season to ibiza i just hope that there is enough demand and that baby have not lost out being the last to launch

bmibaby.com
4th Apr 2007, 20:50
I'm not suggesting they change the schedule, but just am interested that our Balearic programme now involves flights landing in the very early hours of the morning. In the past bmibaby hasn't had a 24 hour ground handling operation, which is one of the reasons that the company doesn't handle the bmi charter flights, but with some changing getting managers and dispatch to do nights, perhaps they wanted to better utilise the night shift by giving them a lovely IBZ!

bmibaby.com
4th Apr 2007, 20:54
We have our own ground staff, excluding ramp, at East Midlands, at CWL we are handled by aviance. In the past bmibaby has not been a 24 hour base though this looks set to change. I've heard that Ibiza could be the first of a few new routes from EMA to be launched over the next few months.

EMA01
4th Apr 2007, 20:56
In the next months just for bmibaby or for all the operators??

EMA01