PDA

View Full Version : Arrrgh whats going on?

WE Branch Fanatic
18th Dec 2006, 10:23
Hi all

Following on from this thread (http://www.pprune.org/forums/showthread.php?t=233894):

In mid September my pc went down and had to go for repair, good job it was insured. It came back in early November with a new hard drive, completely rebuilt and in a new case. Great.

But in the last week or so I've had two problems:

1. On booting up I've been getting a box saying "you or a program have selected to connect to a network, please select etc". Click to get rid of it and carry on. Start AOL software same thing happens. Why is this happening and how can I stop it? Its rather annoying..........

2. I've tried to download and play videos from the net (from the Royal Navy website before you ask, not a dodgy xxx type site) and whatever media format that its been in (usually WMV) I have just got the Realplayer starting then saying it couldn't find the files. Arrrgh. Worringly, I tried to test it with a DVD to see if it would play - nothing.

Again, whats going on and how do I fix it.

It occured to me to do a System Restore and reset the system back to how it was (post reinstalling AOL, broadband and printers). This appeared to solve the problem, except AOL now wouldn't work. Started to connct - nothing. Undid the restore and back to how it was before. I did notice thought that an AOL programme (AOL something.EXE) had been moved or renamed. I suspect this is why it no longer worked.

So more questions:

3. Can the above problems be solved with the restore function?
4. Am I right in thing that if I use system restore, the reinstall AOL, then everything will be fine?

Thanks in advance.........

Edit...........multimedia problem now solved.

stickyb
19th Dec 2006, 09:58
do you have uptodate anti virus software, and have you run a full check? Several rogue bits of software start the network connection process.