PDA

View Full Version : Schiphol

Squawk7777
18th Dec 2006, 06:50
After a long absence to both this bulletin board and my favorite airport (AMS), I had to realise that the best shop in AMS is no longer there! The model airplane shop. I know, for some of you this may sound just like a banal waste of typed letters, but for me the model airplane shop (name?) was part of the excitement in visiting my old stomping grounds. Whether early in the morning, jet-lagged and mentally stalled, or late at night (still stalled), I usually took the time in admiring the rather huge collection of airplanes, which allowed me to dream for just a bid. What happened? Closed for good, or have they moved somewhere else? The Swatch shop is not even a worthy replacement :{
7 7 7 7

LowNSlow
18th Dec 2006, 08:48
It's still there in Terminal 3 groundside!!!

Curious Pax
18th Dec 2006, 10:51
World of Wings (for that was its name) closed at the end of May. They hoped to reopen elsewhere in the terminal, possibly under a different name by the end of this year, but I've not noticed anything appear as yet.

Gunship
22nd Oct 2008, 22:29
I miss them as well.
Will they ever open again ? :{

PPRuNe Towers
22nd Oct 2008, 22:37
I was in a particularly good one today if you want an AMS substitute.

Just not as convenient for travellers but there is a bonus.

Try the shop at the Museum of Air and Space, Le Bourget. Same entirely glass walled concept and huge number of models on sale. Entrance is free and the museum model gallery itself is crammed with stuff you'll love as well.

A short taxi ride from CDG if you plan your connections tactically.

Rob

Gunship
22nd Oct 2008, 22:47
Hi Rob (long time :sad: )

Thanks for that. I was actually there in March - April but It must have been closed or i was blind :sad:
Anyway I will try it again. A great museum.
Some photo's I took is HERE (http://www.flyafrica.info/forums/showthread.php?t=12152&highlight=Bourget).

Cheers and my best regards

Gunss

13thDuke
23rd Oct 2008, 07:50
There is a pilot shop just south of Schiphol, which I've heard does have many of the things that World of Wings had. (Haven't been there so can't confirm). Directions here:

"pilot shop" schiphol - Google Maps (http://maps.google.nl/maps?hl=nl&ie=UTF-8&q=%22pilot+shop%22+schiphol&fb=1&cid=16017597619895554352&li=lmd&z=14&t=m)

The original shop was sold by the owner to Kappe (who own most of Schiphol's shops) and they promptly closed it down. World of Wings website is for sale, so chances of a return are slim.

Squawk7777
23rd Oct 2008, 08:51
I had forgotten about this thread. :\ It's true that LBG's collection is quiet impressive.

I noticed a new shop that opened in AMS last time I was there. A bit furher down the shopping "alley" but in the same terminal. It seems to be more an accessory store focusing mainly on KLM. Hopefully they'll increase their number of models on display.

7 7 7 7

Capt.KAOS
23rd Oct 2008, 09:00
Yeah I remember World of Wings. It was always a pleasant place to look around whilst waiting for the arrivals of business relations.

Katamarino
23rd Oct 2008, 10:32
As far as I know, the model airplane shop in Schipol is going strong, I go through every few weeks. Their prices, though, are ludicrous, I'd never actually buy from them :eek:

5711N0205W
23rd Oct 2008, 13:27
There is quite a good one in Dusseldorf, landside at the top of the escalators near the restaurant and viewing gallery. :ok:

G-CPTN
23rd Oct 2008, 13:27
Not one person appears to have actually spent any money in the model shop(s) mentioned here, merely spent time there looking.
You cannot run a business if nobody buys . . .

WALSue
23rd Oct 2008, 21:39
I was only there in July (ish).
Cracking little shop
I imagine the mock-up flight deck and landing gear outside the shop have gone.

Being the sad cookie I am, I made a purchase :8

Lon More
23rd Oct 2008, 21:55
It's mentioned as still being in businedd on the Dutch versionSchiphol web-site but not on the English

http://www.schiphol.nl/upload/28e78f1a-1c8e-4369-a12e-f582456afd7c_Planes-Plaza_v1.jpg