PDA

View Full Version : Time for AFAP & AIPA to work together

Bazzamundi
17th Dec 2006, 20:42
With the impending shake up in aviation at the moment, with all QF pilot EBA's soon to be open at once, and I believe Virgin are still under EBA negotiations, wouldn't it be a good time for both groups to sit down and have a discussion about what they want from the future of aviation in this country?

Workchoices makes things harder for everyone, but with all such groups undergoing negotiations at once, would it not be to the benefit of everyone in this country to firstly attempt to use combined pressures from all groups to work towards an agreement similar to each others conditions? As it stands at the moment, QF shorthaul F/O's I believe are really not that far ahead of Virgin F/O's (not counting the 'A' scale Captains in QF). Combined pressure could lead to a rise in the Virgin scales without having to cut the QF scales to match.

With so many groups all in this position at once, we may just all be in the best bargaining position possible under the new legislation. Rather than working against each other, perhaps working together a lot more could be achieved. This would then strengthen the position of us all to the extent that we could then achieve things for the regional partners as well.

I may be dreaming but somebody has to in order to make it effective. What does the AFAP have to gain people may ask? If all QF drivers are forced onto Jetstar scales, then pressure will come to bear on Virgin crew to converge with them as well. At least as it stands, management cannot use the argument against them that they are too expensive. This may all change in the future the way the trend in this country and QF particularly is heading. As long as management are rewarded with short term incentives, the drive to cut our conditions will be relentless until it hits a point that it will cost them.

Ego's and past histories aside, we may all stand to achieve more perhaps not a united group, but at least people who are working together rather than opposing each other to everyones detriments.

Time to forget about the past and look towards the future. Easier said than done but until it happens the future is not going to be bright in this country.