PDA

View Full Version : Ability to work in Canada

Zeppelin1
17th Dec 2006, 19:55
I am a new joiner DEFO and was wondering how and if an American can work in YVR ie: taxes and right to work. Also if that base ever comes available on the cargo side or pax side, and if so how often.

hog tied
17th Dec 2006, 20:36
...don't know the answer to that one, but remember that you will be paid in the local currency eg the Canadian dollar, and have much less buying power, effectively a self induced pay cut.

cpdude
17th Dec 2006, 22:39
...don't know the answer to that one, but remember that you will be paid in the local currency eg the Canadian dollar, and have much less buying power, effectively a self induced pay cut.

A FTR FO1 makes more if VETA employed based in YVR than a DEFO on USAB based anywhere in the USA! ($63,504USD vs $80,604CDN)

A PAX FO4 (typical post Freighter join point) makes more being employed on USAB based anywhere in the USA than a VETA employed FO based in YVR or YYZ! ($113,160USD vs $121,176CDN):)

hog tied
18th Dec 2006, 00:47
A FTR FO1 makes more if VETA employed based in YVR than a DEFO on USAB based anywhere in the USA! ($63,504USD vs $80,604CDN)

A PAX FO4 (typical post Freighter join point) makes more being employed on USAB based anywhere in the USA than a VETA employed FO based in YVR or YYZ! ($113,160USD vs $121,176CDN):)

Ok, I assumed that most Canadians (junior freighter dudes) took a US base for financial reasons, maybe the exchange rate has changed enough to make it worthwile. I'm sure the US bases are much easier to get anyhow. Maybe this has all changed since 2000.

Better yet, pick a good US company and live where you want...be free of fear and intimidation, and even get the freedom to bid for a schedule that suits your needs some day. Thats worth a lot of Canadian $.:)

Five Green
18th Dec 2006, 11:50
Zepplin :

Are you talking live and work or just commute and work ?

If you want to commute then you may do so without a work permit just the VISA requirements for a visitor. As an American you need no visitor's visa.

To live in Canada is not possible without the right to live and work ( landed immigrant ) which you must qualify for by some means ( family, sponsoring employer who cannot find Canadian to fill job etc.) you get points awarded as with other countries and the decision is made based on your overall case.

Cathay will not help flight crew with immigration matters.

Having said all that, actually taking a base in the US or Canada is a grey area with both countries, as you have stepped outside of the spirit of the crewman's Visa legislation. So you are not going to your base as much as you are picking up an a/c to fly it back to Hong Kong. Wink wink nudge nudge.

As for the logic of taking a Canadian base over a US one...? Personal I guess, but if you cannot live in Canada I see no sense in it. Even if you can live in Canada, you put a lot more in the bank on a US base.

As far as I know we are not currently and are not in the forseeable future offering any Canadian freighter bases. This is the reason most (except grandfathered crew) Canadians are US based (rostered). They did offer YVR and YYZ breifly but stopped. I could be wrong as things change fast around here. There is no system of control or staffing requirements that drove them to open YVR and YYZ why they did so is guess work at best.

Once you are on the PAX fleet you can take any base that is open, if your seniority can hold it. With the upcoming expansion I am sure that the PAX fleet will continue to offer US and YVR/YYZ bases. Although pax YYZ currently closed pending resolution of the cosmic radiation absorption limits (no jokin).

Good Luck

FG

404 Titan
19th Dec 2006, 01:46
Five Green

I was told by several YYZ based captains the base was closed to stabilise the base numbers pending conversion to the B777. I haven’t heard anything about investigations into any cosmic radiation absorption limits though I don’t doubt it is being looked at on an ongoing basis.

Zeppelin1
20th Dec 2006, 17:14
Thanks for all the info. I live in SEA and will have to figure the cost of a commute to LAX or SFO in the future vs.a drive to YVR and what that is worth to me.

Cheers

L_Loader
20th Dec 2006, 23:10
Let's say I would like YVR base and manage to get a Canadian VISA (as a European), will I be able to work there with my European license or do I need a Canadian one?

Five Green
24th Dec 2006, 10:27
Getting the base should be no problem. Living in the US or Canada is a problem. If you do not have the right to live in either, you can still fly a U.S. or Canadian roster and commute to Europe (although I really got to wonder Why?).

You can only get U.S. basings on the freighter at the moment. Vancouver is not available until you have been in the company for aprox 4 years.

The pilot's licence does not enter into it as you will convert your licence to a Hong Kong one. That is what is required to fly a Hong Kong registered airplane.

Also Zepplin. You got no choice while you are on the freighter. Maybe once you are on the pax, but I seriously think that the base may be full in 4 years. There is a chance that it might not be, as there will be expansion and a change to 777s. However if it takes longer than 4 years to change the a/c operating into yvr than I predict it will be full by then.

Good Luck

L_Loader
24th Dec 2006, 19:46
Five Green

I am from Sweden but lived in Vancouver for a couple of months a few years ago. Ever since I have always thought that YVR is one of the places in the world I could fancy settling in. I also think that I will be able to get the visa so it was more about if I had to get Canadian certification or not. Not planning on commuting from Sweden to YVR. :-)

Now I am more concerned about if I should try for a SO or a FO position. I have read a lot of other threads in the subject lately and 4 years as SO does not sound that great but I might have misunderstood some of the points you guys have made in the subject.

/A

Five Green
26th Dec 2006, 04:33
Zepplin:

If you came as a visitor you probably came on a tourist VISA. It is a whole different matter to live and work. You must be able to get Landed Imigrant Status which gives you the right to live and work in Canada. Cathay will not sponsor you, you must qualify on your own.

You can go the the Governement of Canada web site and read all the details.

Wish you the best of luck and merry christmas !

FG

cpdude
26th Dec 2006, 05:07
You do not need a work Visa to work for CX and based in Canada. This is because you will not work IN Canada! You will be operating an international flight to and from Canada and thus will require the same credentials as a Hong Kong based guy flying a YVR trip. Check with your countrymen working in Hong Kong if you need any type of Visa.

If you decide to live in Canada, that is a different matter. Either get the proper Visa or don't get caught.