PDA

View Full Version : RAF Leather Flying Jacket

Abraham Zapruder
16th Dec 2006, 22:03
Anybody know where I can source a genuine RAF Leather Flying Jacket? I'm looking for the current 'fast jet' type, not the WWII Irvin. I recall some while back seeing a picture in a brochure of Gulf War RAF Tornado crew Peters & Nichol wearing such, but can't recall the supplier's name in whose brochure I saw the picture.

Any help appreciated!

Abe

soddim
16th Dec 2006, 22:14
Try Aviation Leathercraft:

http://www.flying-jacket.com/

Tombstone
16th Dec 2006, 22:16
Tornado Jacket:

http://www.flying-jacket.com/jak8.asp

uncle peter
16th Dec 2006, 22:26
Pops leather has supplied many a jacket at exceptionally reasonable prices - quick google will direct you.

MrBernoulli
17th Dec 2006, 07:23
What a shame we no longer base right next to Pops premises! Thats where I got mine, and very nice it is too.

Tonkenna
17th Dec 2006, 08:03
Me as well Mr B, had it about 11 years... copied from the one Dan Winterland took out. Took 22 hours to make and is still in great condition... took 16 weeks to get a badge made in the UK:rolleyes: typical.

Tonks (enjoying Crete:\ )

winkle
17th Dec 2006, 08:58
abraham i have sent you a pm - happy to sell my raf leather jacket bought it in 95. size 42 reg with detachable liner. anyone else interested then please pm me.;)

Spit the Dog
17th Dec 2006, 08:58
As previously said, 'POPS LEATHER' are still making them for $160. If you can get your measurements to them they will make up, including leather flight badge with wings and name, in around a week. The boys from Bzz will collect as they are staging through weekly with the beast from boeing.

cja197
17th Dec 2006, 09:16
http://www.popsleather.com/

Abraham Zapruder
17th Dec 2006, 21:54
Thank you all for posting the details.

I'm certain that Aviation Leathercraft was the brochure I recalled, however the Pops Leather product is more along the lines of what I was looking for.

Thanks again.

Abe

ps Thanks for your offer winkle, if I weren't a 44"L recon I'd have taken you up on it!

hobie
17th Dec 2006, 22:22
if Chuck Ellsworth reads this thread .....

looking at one of the links above I spotted something perfect for flying a Catalina across the North Atlantic ....

(with a matching jacket of course .... :) )

http://www.flying-jacket.com/images/jak5-big.gif

BEagle
17th Dec 2006, 23:15
The 'official' RAF jacket isn't shown in the Aviation Leathercraft catalogue as it isn't available to the general public - you have to contact them directly.

Pop's copies are hopefully better now than they once were - they were getting progressively better every time someone bought one. But some details such as the correct colour were never quite right (you can tell a Pop's copy a mile off due to the pen pocket and epaulettes)......

If you get a jacket from Pop's, get them to use something other than the nasty polyester material they normally use for the lining. I had the lining in another jacket changed when I was in Incirlik some years ago and it made all the difference to the warmth/comfort of the jacket.

rab-k
18th Dec 2006, 15:07
The nearest thing to the 'official' RAF jacket, which as Beags correctly points out isn't supplied by Aviation Leathercraft to those without the necessary credentials, is to purchase one of their "Jacket Type 89903 Fleet Air Arm Harrier" styles and have them:
Swap the "left hand sleeve combination pen pocket with zip close pouch" for a "left hand sleeve pencil pocket with velcro secured flap". (See Red Arrows Team & Type 2502 RAF Tornado jacket styles for velcro secured pencil/pen pocket).
Add velcro secured epaulettes. (See Aviation Aircrew & Type 2502 RAF Tornado jacket styles).Having changed the sleeve pocket and added epaulettes, I believe the only outward difference to the 'official' RAF jacket and the 'modified at extra cost' FAA Harrier style is the lack of a press-stud fastened detachable fur collar and (possibly) a leather patch on the left breast for fixing the name/brevet badge to. (I may be wrong about the patch for the badge).

The end result is:

http://i46.photobucket.com/albums/f105/rab-knight/Jacket1.jpg

nealuk1
30th Aug 2007, 10:53
Radford Leathers in Coventry have a fab service and can usually deliver within a few days.

I ordered one and it was excellent. Was delivered next day after a phone call to confirm a few details. I was surprised, but most of their jackets are from stock, which is very unusual.

Quality and service was excellent and they have Replica Jackets that make the originals look inferior!! I absolutley love mine.

The B Word
2nd Sep 2009, 20:49
Now here's a question. With the new RAF policy on wearing blues, and the inability to wear the RAF Approved Jacket when flying, the opportunity to wear this item of clothing is less than ever. Do you think we should be afforded the option to wear the RAF Approved Jacket with No2s? It is certainly smarter than the nasty cloth General Purpose Jacket (GPJ)!!!

A further option; with the jacket pictured above there is a jacket that the non-brevet wearing personnel could also wear - if they wanted to?

Anyone else got thoughts on this?

Why do I ask - I hate the GPJ, the issue rain-mac really does make me look like an RAC man (the nasty reflective strip doesn't help!) and the Greatcoat is too camp now that John Barryman wears one!

The B Word

Tankertrashnav
2nd Sep 2009, 22:37
and the inability to wear the RAF Approved Jacket when flying,

As such a thing never existed when I was in (pre 77), as I read through this thread I assumed this was, in fact, a flying jacket? If the above quote is accurate, however, what is it for? For FJ jocks to stand around in at air shows looking steely-eyed perhaps? Not that I can believe they'd ever wish to do that, nor need a leather jacket to achieve the effect. ;)

Runaway Gun
3rd Sep 2009, 00:28
Simply to look cool perhaps?

Some of us don't have the big boy moustaches and smoking pipes to pull the nurses, so a leather jacket and ray bans is our last chance. :ok:

The B Word
3rd Sep 2009, 07:40
For FJ jocks to stand around in at air shows looking steely-eyed perhaps? Not that I can believe they'd ever wish to do that, nor need a leather jacket to achieve the effect.

Tankertrashnav

Au Contraire, I have seen plenty of 101, 10 and 216 aircrew wearing these (in fact some had brevet badges made up in Sqn colours). Also there is more than a fair share on some of the ISTAR types.

But back to the question. Do you think we should ask to wear them with No2 Blues. I've seen plenty doing it (including the old CINC and a couple of 1 stars). Simple answer of "yes", "no" or "maybe" will suffice and don't forget to think whether you might want to in future when the dreaded ground tour comes along! :(

The B Word

BEagle
3rd Sep 2009, 10:02
Do you think we should ask to wear them with No2 Blues. I've seen plenty doing it (including the old CINC and a couple of 1 stars).

Yes, but without the pussy pelt collar! It looks very smart and really hacks off the SWO.....:E

Has a bit of the Erich Hartmann about it!

Wander00
3rd Sep 2009, 11:36
Well, Montgomery got away with wearing a flying jacket!

bast0n
3rd Sep 2009, 13:24
A while back anyone wearing one of these modern leather jackets would probably also worn a "Brown Hat".........................:ok:

Lima Juliet
11th May 2010, 21:16
Now here's a question. With the new RAF policy on wearing blues, and the inability to wear the RAF Approved Jacket when flying, the opportunity to wear this item of clothing is less than ever. Do you think we should be afforded the option to wear the RAF Approved Jacket with No2s? It is certainly smarter than the nasty cloth General Purpose Jacket (GPJ)!!!

A further option; with the jacket pictured above there is a jacket that the non-brevet wearing personnel could also wear - if they wanted to?

Anyone else got thoughts on this?

Why do I ask - I hate the GPJ, the issue rain-mac really does make me look like an RAC man (the nasty reflective strip doesn't help!) and the Greatcoat is too camp now that John Barryman wears one!

The B Word

Anyone else see the note from AMP today?

1. Leather Jackets to be worn by SNCOs up (at personal expense) with No 2 HD.
2. Brevets (operationally optional - like the AAC) on CS95/DCC.
3. Updated name badges for No 2 HD with Brevets for aircrew and RAF Logo for others.
4. New style stable-belt on issue to all from 2012.
5. Decent wet weather outerwear and fatigues for those working on aircraft.
6. Possible scrapping of officers' uniform tax relief and free issue to all (possibly excluding No1 and No 5).

:D:D:D Thank you Sir, for trying to stop me looking like an RAC man or train conductor! Also for seeing parity of dress in JHC/PJHQ between RAF and AAC aircrew dressed in CS95. Finally, for looking after the freezing linies' needs.

However, if you believe Bast0n, maybe you should have issued a "brown hat" - which apparently there is nothing wrong with these days (shame on you Mr Bast0n!).

LJ :ok:

5 Forward 6 Back
11th May 2010, 22:02
Brilliant! Got a link to this on the intranet? Where was it published?

The B Word
11th May 2010, 22:10
I also saw it today as a letter by AMP to AOCs et al and can confirm LJ's post. Also, the AP1358 has been updated on the INTRANET (not internet, yet) to reflect the CS95/DCC and Leather Jacket stuff.

Thumbs up for AMP :ok:

P.S. The Leather Jacket reference is in AP1358 Ch2 para 0220 on the Intranet (DII/F).

Samuel
11th May 2010, 23:37
Just an aside...but I noticed recently when the RNZAF CAF visited in hospital the sole survivor of a serious helicopter crash on ANZAC Day, he was wearing a very flash leather jacket. So was the lady Sqn Ldr with him; his PA I presume.

bakseetblatherer
12th May 2010, 05:15
So what jacket is the 'official' one? Is it styled straight from the 70's or (heaven forbid) the 80's just like the haircut of this young devil modelling it? ;)

http://www.flying-jacket.com/images/item-photography/raf-tornado-jacket-type-2502--a.jpg

chopper2004
12th May 2010, 07:57
How about Aviation Letharcraft's NATO TIGER leather aircrew jacket, designed by and for 230 Sqn?

Its got the side pockets with snap close but the sleeve left side pen pockets have zipped pouch but not velcro cover.

5 Forward 6 Back
12th May 2010, 11:39
It's this one, (http://www.flying-jacket.com/product-details.aspx?id=5) according to the email sent round about it today, so just the generic Aircrew Jacket, not the crazy variety of other ones they sell.

Pontius Navigator
12th May 2010, 12:13
Sizes
36" to 52" English (91 cm - 132cms) chest with option of regular or long fit.

And DD-cup?

The Oberon
12th May 2010, 12:33
There's only one leather jacket and that's the A2.

oldbeefer
12th May 2010, 14:46
Leather jackets? Worn by poofs and posers.

(except the French one, which I was given when on exchange in the '70s - still in good nick and worn as often as poss).

chopper2004
12th May 2010, 15:18
oldbeefer,

What's your, Armee de L'Air's leather aircrew jacket look like?

Tricolour? Blue outside, white and red inside stitching? LOL

Phoney Tony
12th May 2010, 16:30
How about:

Air Force Blue wellingtons.

String back gloves for MT drivers.

Crotchless donkey jackets.

TheWizard
12th May 2010, 18:25
It's this one, (http://www.flying-jacket.com/product-details.aspx?id=5) according to the email sent round about it today, so just the generic Aircrew Jacket, not the crazy variety of other ones they sell.

Oh no it isn't!!
Taken from the Aviation Leathercraft website About Us page:
In terms of working with the RAF, I guess the biggest feather in our cap and one of the many highlights we’ve enjoyed was being asked to design and create a flight jacket for them: not for a Squadron, but for the RAF itself!

Working with the RAF we designed a flight jacket that suited their needs and met their appropriately high standards. This jacket, the MoD Approved Pattern RAF Aircrew Leather Jacket, is the only leather jacket included in the official dress code and it’s only available to serving aircrew. So, while you can’t have one, it’s perhaps nice to know that what has gone into the RAF jacket, the Squadron jackets and the inimitable Irvin - all of that skill and history, excellent materials and unrivalled British craftsmanship, has gone into your jacket too.
:ok:

pasir
12th May 2010, 19:00
Speaking of Monty - Privilege of rank allowed WW2 senior officers
a variety of unusual garb - In several books on Monty can be found a
photo of him dressed in what at first sight appears to be British battledress - But look again - Monty's outfit is far too smart and well cut to be British -
It is in fact standard GI Joe issue - May have been a gift from Ike !

Lima Juliet
12th May 2010, 19:51
Here's a piccy of the correct pattern (a copy made by Pop's Leather in Incerlik, Turkey and not the genuine Aviation Leathercraft item). The link above with Rory Underwood in the picture is close but is not the official pattern - this has only ever been available to RAF Aircrew. The Rory Underwood jacket differs in that it has knitted cuffs and not the "storm cuffs" on the official pattern.

http://www.popsleather.com/pr_im/242.jpg

The Union Flag is a Op Northern Watch "Blood Chit" that can be stitched in at $10 or so.

By the way, the post on the first page has a pic of the jacket without a brevet holder for those that don't want/need it.

Saw a few around MoD today on Wednesday "Uniform Day".

PS. there are some pics within AP1358 within the aircrew clothing section.

The B Word
12th May 2010, 20:37
Here's a link to the AP1359 (http://www.raf.mod.uk/rafcms/mediafiles/9647375B_D363_F9C0_C62C0A00FC6755B7.pdf) - see page 6-6. You must ignore the instruction of not wearing the jacket with No2s as this version of the AP is out of date.

The B Word

oldbeefer
13th May 2010, 07:58
Chopper2004 - Yup, that's the one, and it has a zipped pocket on the left-hand sleeve for some sort of FJ calculator! Has worn very well though.

rab-k
13th May 2010, 09:48
http://i46.photobucket.com/albums/f105/rab-knight/Jacket1.jpg

From: Aviation Leathercraft (Moto-Lita Ltd) (http://www.flying-jacket.com/)

Specification

Leather
Highest specification hard-wearing supple cowhide.

Colour
Blue-slate with grey lining.

Lining
100% cotton drill.

Pockets
Two outside side entry pockets with snap closure, one deep inside pocket with snap closure and one left-hand sleeve pen pocket with a Velcro secured flap.

Rank
Velcro secured epaulettes.

Cuffs/Waistband
Cuffs are leather with a secreted storm cuff and the waistband is leather with elasticated side panels.

Zips
Heavy-duty brass.

(Optional detachable sheepskin collar and brevet holder).

:ok:

SirToppamHat
13th May 2010, 16:46
Seen the letter, the appropriate jacket may be worn by all SNCOs or above and is available from Leathercraft or Pop's at Incirlik, but I don't recall any details of the model, just that it's an extortionate £300-£310 from Leathercraft depending on size, and quoted as $360 from Pop's.

I note we're also going back to the disastrous (IMHO) smooth v-neck version of the pullover, which may be worn with or without tie. Bizarrly, that means one or 2 people round here will accidentally be coming back into fashion soon!

Thicker shirts with re-modelled collars (slightly bigger I hope), and a better shape.

Also, the latest trousers are to be in a different material and re-designed, especially for the ladies.

The kicker is that existing stocks of the routine stuff will have to be used-up before the new stuff is issued, except for officers who have to pay so can get the new stuff as soon as it's available.

There is no news on the rumour that those serving beyond 55 are to be issued with RAF cardigans, or that the new name badges will have little star symbols to show what we can do (part of the resettlement plans to ease our transition into the jobs market).

STH

Phoney Tony
13th May 2010, 17:05
STH
An excellent idea which I think deserves to be developed a little more. Underneath your name badge we could have stars just like they do in Mc Donalds.
Perhaps badges on your sleeve like boy scouts...

A camping badge
An AFT pass badge
First in each morning badge
Tea bar monitor badge

etc

5 Forward 6 Back
13th May 2010, 19:29
The new name badge is going to be a bit busy, isn't it? Union flag, RAF logo, name and wings?

Easy Street
13th May 2010, 19:52
My understanding is that you will only have an RAF logo on your name badge if you don't have a brevet of some description to go on there.

Lima Juliet
13th May 2010, 22:40
My understanding is that you will only have an RAF logo on your name badge if you don't have a brevet of some description to go on there.

I concur...

Diablo Rouge
14th May 2010, 06:27
DPM skirts for the girlies and the chaps in Scottish Regiments?

Dont laugh; the central american armies give the girlies dpm skirts.

NUFC1892
14th May 2010, 09:47
And the further you get up the food chain the more it is ignored:ugh:

Wyler
14th May 2010, 12:08
The over 55 cardigan has been withdrawn as continuance is no longer an option. Shame as they had just perfected the faint smell of wee wee and pipe smoke.

Wearing of Brevets on combats, leather jackets for all, new pullovers, tailored trousers. This is the stuff of a 21st Century fighting force alright. Let's scrap some more front line rubbish so that we can keep the dressing up box nice and full.

Come to think of it, I have not recieved a pamphlet this week telling me how to wipe my a*se. Get a grip.:ugh:

grandfer
14th May 2010, 12:45
With ref. to the wee wee bit shouldn't that be incontinence not continuance ? If you get a knee length cardie that should cover everything it could also double as a frock for the girlies .
Grandfer :ok::ok:

panther_chat
14th May 2010, 13:52
So where and when exactly do we get the new name/brevet badge?

Lima Juliet
14th May 2010, 17:38
Wearing of Brevets on combats, leather jackets for all, new pullovers, tailored trousers. This is the stuff of a 21st Century fighting force alright. Let's scrap some more front line rubbish so that we can keep the dressing up box nice and full.

Wyler

The brevets are already on issue for combats - so they cost nothing (maybe the tailor for sewing on for those that can be bothered). Leather jackets at personal expense and not from public monies. The new pullovers are a renewed contract not another contract - so the costs are the same. Tailored trousers? The only thing I saw about tailoring was adjusting the contract to give the blue shirts a more tailored fit - ie. so the shirt isn't all baggy around the waist. The only spend is the name badge that, in my opinion, is well overdue. The other is the "issue" stable-belt that will come out of PR12 money - assuming there's 35-40,000 of us left then that's about £350k (peanuts in the grand scheme of things, and I'd rather see all those senseless AP3000s not in print to pay for them).

So where's the mahoosive spending that's going to scrap all the front-line equipment? :confused::confused:

In my opinion, these are great, cheap wins. The only one I disagree with is the return of the ghastly V-neck, but hey, you can't expect to like it all.

The B Word
16th May 2010, 10:56
A little bird tell me that the jacket is about £30-40 cheaper for Service personnel than indicated in the letter and that "en-masse" orders should attract a possible discount for those intereted.

Also, having seen both Pop's Leather alongside Aviation Leathercraft's Jackets - the UK jacket is most definately worth the extra 20 quid (thanks to the exchange rate!!!). That said, if you are swinging by Incerlik, the saving would be significantly more and then the reduction in quality would be worth it.

The B Word

T_Handle
16th May 2010, 14:31
I've got a Pop's jacket and have done for about 10 years. It is still going strong and is a good quality jacket....... not not as good as the Aviaition Leathercraft one (then again, mine is an early model from Pop's but I can't imagine they have changed much!):}

Keep on trucking!

T Handle:cool:

Just This Once...
16th May 2010, 15:00
My Aviation Leathercraft RAF Jacket is around 15 yrs old. Now to the naked eye it looks almost brand new but the leather seems to have slowly shrunk around the waist over the years.

I think it must be a quality issue, perhaps something wrong with the cow.

Hueymeister
16th May 2010, 15:33
As of tuesday I shall be the proud owner of a 'Pops' Jacket...have compared it to the Aviation Leathercraft version and nowadays there's little difference in build or quality...and less than 1/2 the current £364 they want for it...complete with 'goolie' chit in all mid-eastern languages (in case I get turned over in Aylesbury) $235...about £155....nice little pressie to self for my impending big four ohhh.:ok::}

Lima Juliet
16th May 2010, 19:33
Huey

The Pop's Leather website quotes $360 (Bucks) which at the current exchange rate is £255 (Quid). The chaps at Thruxton are quoting £225ish + VAT (Quid) wich is £264 (Quid).

Sorry, pal, but your maths seems a bit off??!! Unless you're picking up in person at Incirlik?

But, I hear you on Aylesbury!

PS. You need to tell those nice Thruxton people that you are in the military (they do need proof) to get the cheaper price - did you do that? They'll even sew in "stuff" like chits for you if you ask.

TMK1
16th May 2010, 21:04
Concur with LJ about the price, just make sure you let Aviaton Leathercraft know you are Service. They are always very helpful when you go to Thruxton or on the phone. I got my first jacket from them in 94 and had a new lining put in about 3 years ago, still a fantastic jacket and the leather is just wearing in. Personally, I prefer them to the Pops copies as I reckon they are a far better quality, you can definitely tell the difference.

Hueymeister
16th May 2010, 23:05
That was the 'walkout of their door price'....:ok:

QWIN
18th May 2010, 21:10
When I first decided to play the game back in 1989 we ran a competition and invited prospective suppliers to a beauty contest at 229 OCU at Coningsby. The clear winners were Aviation Leathercraft and Simon Green. Initially this was just for 25(F) Sqn and we accepted this was merely social discriminator which was unlikely to be acceptable away from home base. The initial deal was that any aircrew on 25(F) Sqn could purchase a jacket for £70 until such time as I relinquished command. Unfortunately for Simon but great for me I ended up doing nearly 4 years in command so lots of guys benefitted from the £70 deal. If I remember correctly 5 Sqn were the next to join the deal; same jacket but claret lining. Chivenor then followed, all clearly unofficial. Then OC Valley decided to involve himself because we were about to go on MPC and he raised the issue of leather jackets with CinC Support Command. Bad influence on students, not uniform, bad example, won't have it.
The whole saga bounced up to the Air Force Board and back down through the Strike Command chain and they were officially banned. 21 years later they are accepted as uniform. Perhaps when we are looking for savings in public budgets we could just get rid of the wa***rs who interfere without contributing.

Hueymeister
18th May 2010, 22:03
Got it thanx Pops...It's fab...but as my erudite and eccentric captain today pointed out, ':}shame it's now summer'...might just wear it and sweat anyway!:ok:

Runaway Gun
19th May 2010, 06:09
It doesn't feel like Summer yet.... Keep that sexy sheepskin liner zipped in.

Party Animal
19th May 2010, 19:39
Not sure about some of the figures quoted on here but understand prices may have changed recently. From my own experience a few years ago, the girl/woman I spoke to at Aviation Leathercraft was not too helpful. The price on the website was the price full stop with no discount for being currently serving aircrew. I also needed a headed letter to prove who I was, just to get the official RAF version (which I don't think you can navigate to on their website - albeit as some have already commented, it's pretty similar to the RN Harrier version).

So for real man size, that was 310.64 x 1.175 (VAT) = 365 + 12 (minimum delivery charge) = 377 QUID.

Pops version = $360 with no VAT or import tax and no delivery cost. Using the currency converter on Pops website today = 250 QUID.

I think most people agree, the British version is probably slightly better but, as always, it's the buyers decision at the end of the day. In my case, the exchange rate at the time was a lot better than today and so I went for the Pops version. Fit, quality and service are/were all good and despite a fair amount of wear, it still looks like new (not necessarily a good thing). Nice touch with the custom made for (name) patch sewn inside too.

QWIN - on a separate note, I doubt if we have ever met but purely from your last note, I know that it would have been a pleasure to work and fly with you!

QWIN
22nd May 2010, 21:33
Partyanimal,

Thank you for your complimentary observation. If your callsign/nom de plume fits, you may well be correct.

QWIN

Lima Juliet
9th Jun 2010, 21:08
Well here is the official jacket supplier's price:

Pricing
38" - 44" £220 +VAT
46" - 50" £240 +VAT

See here: MoD Approved Pattern Jacket (http://www.flying-jacket.com/product-details.aspx?id=20)

Runaway Gun
9th Jun 2010, 21:27
So I'm discriminated against if I become pregnant and am forced to buy the larger version?

DummyRun
10th Jun 2010, 00:16
Does anyone know if there is a lightweight summer leather flying jacket that I could wear in TGI Fridays on the boardwalk?

London Eye
10th Jun 2010, 09:05
Runaway Gun said:

So I'm discriminated against if I become pregnant and am forced to buy the larger version?

I'm guessing that if you became pregnant that money would be the least of your problems:}.

Hueymeister
10th Jun 2010, 14:37
Compared mine to an Aviation LC jacket today..little difference, but the ALC one is better put together...but enough for over £120..hmmmmmmmm jury's out...:cool::E:ok::}

BEagle
10th Jun 2010, 15:01
Do the imitations ALJs have the same rather tacky nylon lining as most of Pop's jackets - or the much comfier heavyweight cotton lining used by Aviation Leathercraft?

Hueymeister
10th Jun 2010, 16:37
Tacky...hmmm, not so much, but not cotton...I'm not saying it's as good as, but close..I couldn't stretch to a ALC jacket and Pop's came highly recommended!:E

BEagle
10th Jun 2010, 17:41
I don't know what type of leather Pop's uses - the earlier models seemed to be made of recycled Etruscan goat scrotums or similar and were nothing like as tough as the genuine Aviation Leathercraft articles. But they were considerably lighter in weight.

The only criticism I would have of the Aviation Leathercraft version is that it is rather long in the back - rather like those awful old 1970-ish No.2HD Thunderbirds jackets....:yuk:

Audax
14th Jun 2010, 15:26
QWIN, just to put the record straight, the jackets we had at Chivenor were all freebies. It was the first year that aeros guys could get 'sponsorship', Madness got the jackets courtesy of Flight; I've still got mine, a bit tatty after all this time but fine to wear in the car with the hood down.

So, a bit like your PIs, an element of truth but beware the final outcome!!

chopper2004
11th Oct 2010, 21:15
Went to the last Duxford airshow of the year yesterday, and wondered by the Aviation Leathercraft store. I saw the latest addition to their collection and MoD approved...........the Eurofighter Typhoon display leather jacket.

Has the following specs:

1) Sde entry pockets with no zips or snap closure and two inside pockets.

2) Knitted cuffs and waistband similar to the A2 jacket and the Tornado jacket.

3) No left hand sleeve pocket for pens.

4) Diamond blue lining on the inside.

5) Velcro epaulettes

The guy from A L told me that the input was from Typhoon crews as well as the MoD. I was mildly surprised at this design which is in effect an USAF A2 jacket without the deep snap entry pockets but side entry pockets similar to any other bog standard leather jacket in store.

He also mentioned the Tornado aircrew jacket is still being produced but wont be long before they stop production and supply.

Anyhow was attracted by the official BBMF leather aircrew jacket (zipped side pockets, velcro secured flap for the sleeve pen pocket and two deep snap closure inside pockets) and therefore I bought it :ok:

https://cimg6.ibsrv.net/gimg/pprune.org-vbulletin/1115x640/capture_8f9736d299fc43a0d3908236e590c2b49015b795.jpg

chopper2004
14th Dec 2011, 21:15
http://i.imgur.com/LxIaZ.jpg

This surprisingly resembles the blue leather aircrew jacket sold by Aviation Leathercraft :)

Any thoughts please?

Lima Juliet
14th Dec 2011, 22:14
Well, it's blue and it's leather - but at that point the similarity ends from what I can see...

chopper2004
18th Mar 2014, 20:26
Think the CoS of the RCAF has a similar one to the RAF leather aircrew jacket?

http://i57.photobucket.com/albums/g209/longranger/BN2013-0376-175_zps0802a194.jpg

Photo BN2013-0376-175 | Multi-Media - Imagery Gallery | RCAF | DND/CF (http://airforceapp.forces.gc.ca/v2/netpub/index-eng.asp?rid=12614-BN2013-0376-175)

Anyone in the DnD know who supplies this or do they ask across here to Aviation Leathercraft to supply?

Cheers

Pheasant
18th Mar 2014, 22:47
At least Aviation Leathercraft produce jackets that fit- unlike the one being modelled by Gen Blondin!

GOLF_BRAVO_ZULU
19th Mar 2014, 02:15
Check the stitching though. Take it back later and they will charge a reasonable price to rectify their defect.

5 Forward 6 Back
19th Mar 2014, 09:15
My Aviation Leathercraft jacket is starting to look a little worn in places, so I was thinking I ought to take care of it better.

Can anyone recommend a decent leather cleaner/conditioner? I've used saddle soap and the suchlike on equestrian equipment, and I have some generic conditioner for leather footwear, but am unsure if there's something better for a jacket.

clingon3
19th Mar 2014, 16:39
When 25 Sqn reformed at Leeming as an F3 Sqn, their Boss, Mick Martin, wanted the Sqn to have an 'identity'. Aviation Leathercraft supplied the 25 Sqn Tornado Jacket to those guys on the Sqn at a discounted rate and the 'identity' was born.....

The Staish at Valley got to hear about said jackets being worn with uniform and banned them for the Sqn MPC at STCAAME roundabout 1990. He didn't want his impressionable young students being misled. Well those cheeky chappies of 25 Sqn did take their jackets to Valley but never wore them. The Det photo though was just of jackets on hangers, hooked over the 'Winder' rail with each owners name on the photo but with the title 'No Jacket Allowed' (required, gettit?). Don't know if the photo ever got to STCAAMEs corridor wall but it certainly didn't hurt anyones career-the Qwip achieved Air Rank and is now a Director Of Something Important with the CAA!

Lima Juliet
19th Mar 2014, 19:20
I use Navy Blue boot polish and it comes up a treat. I also had it relined by Aviation Leathercraft after the first 20 years of wear - it's now like new. If I recall correctly it was about £80 + VAT to do, but was worth every penny. :ok:

LJ

CoffmanStarter
19th Mar 2014, 19:43
LJ ... NAVY Blue ... what next ! :ok:

Rakshasa
19th Mar 2014, 23:15
As good as the quality of the Avn Leathercraft jackets are I always found mine very heavy and tended not to wear it much. I finally gave in a couple of years ago and commissioned a jacket from Wested Leather as a replacement as I really wanted something lighter. It's MoD pattern but made in softer nappa goatskin, it's half the weight, twice as comfy and just as well made as the official version. Cheaper too.

chopper2004
1st Sep 2016, 21:55
Updated Aviation Leathercraft listing of their leather flight jacket range,

cheers

https://www.flying-jacket.com/jackets/

chopper2004
15th Oct 2020, 13:17
DPM skirts for the girlies and the chaps in Scottish Regiments?

Dont laugh; the central american armies give the girlies dpm skirts.

Strange you mentioned that is this the Highlanders new issue lol

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/4000069596088.html

India Four Two
15th Oct 2020, 14:40
Strange you mentioned that is this the Highlanders new issue lol

Would have been better if he was holding a Claymore - mine or sword, take your pick! :)

NutLoose
15th Oct 2020, 19:49
You know you really want it..

https://www.bradford.co.uk/redarrowshoodedjacketbge.html?gclid=CjwKCAjw5p_8BRBUEiwAPpJO 60JcXk1t0_7NmZ0WaP0GmVjPXDd7_5rV5pdoyuHRf7Ih8VcdnhcZ0BoCf38Q AvD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds

salad-dodger
15th Oct 2020, 20:43
You know you really want it..

https://www.bradford.co.uk/redarrowshoodedjacketbge.html?gclid=CjwKCAjw5p_8BRBUEiwAPpJO 60JcXk1t0_7NmZ0WaP0GmVjPXDd7_5rV5pdoyuHRf7Ih8VcdnhcZ0BoCf38Q AvD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds
I guess some people know where to look, others....

NutLoose
16th Oct 2020, 17:26
This was the one that always impressed me as being stylish and a timeless design, they even do them in black now.

https://www.epicmilitaria.com/german-pilots-grey-leather-flight-jacket.html

salad-dodger
16th Oct 2020, 17:45
Oh yes, that is lovely. I can just imagine the remorseless ridicule I would get going out dressed in that.

Blossy
16th Oct 2020, 19:06
I'm guilty. I got mine from the Heeresflieger in the 1970s. Still in perfect nick.

Less Hair
16th Oct 2020, 19:25
This would be the former Bundeswehr issue flight jacket.
https://www.modeka24.de/ItemView.action?menuMainGrp=00000980&menuGrp=00000981&number=214530
However Luftwaffe moved on to fire retardant membrane plastic these days.
https://www.bundeswehr-und-mehr.de/original-bundeswehr-fliegerjacke-gruen-aramid-bw-pilotenjacke_4346 (https://www.bundeswehr-und-mehr.de/original-bundeswehr-fliegerjacke-gruen-aramid-bw-pilotenjacke_4346)
Never seen anybody wearing that outside of Bundeswehr flight duty.

chopper2004
2nd Jan 2021, 11:44
Happy New Year All went through my collection of RAF Yearbook in the mid to late 90s and came across the Aviation Leathercraft adverts

https://cimg0.ibsrv.net/gimg/pprune.org-vbulletin/960x751/5e91d7ad_d59f_4dea_9fe3_5060b4e940a1_c61c8ccb703c6887f56fc42 df389500046dce105.jpeg
https://cimg1.ibsrv.net/gimg/pprune.org-vbulletin/507x410/40d9b0b2_555a_4040_907f_709e87e1c8d0_af86feb7fd3acdcbe91c880 648e774b684ebf037.jpeg
https://cimg2.ibsrv.net/gimg/pprune.org-vbulletin/577x840/58f5f3f8_138a_48b8_9756_8adbeff665bb_18d64df548a67de35cac957 6d075379913bba8f0.jpeg
https://cimg3.ibsrv.net/gimg/pprune.org-vbulletin/509x785/17d5a7eb_53b3_4d2e_8bfe_c262b40738f1_23d4f4663374b98b45b15c2 040273903d5ebff16.jpeg

cheers

chopper2004
2nd Jan 2021, 11:50
The over 55 cardigan has been withdrawn as continuance is no longer an option. Shame as they had just perfected the faint smell of wee wee and pipe smoke.

Come to think of it, I have not recieved a pamphlet this week telling me how to wipe my a*se. Get a grip.:ugh:

Ah think the army still has the green cardigan with epaulettes, my colonel who was Dragoon’s wore one green one with his rank slides. But this was 2 and half decades ago.

cheers

chopper2004
2nd Jan 2021, 11:58
When I first decided to play the game back in 1989 we ran a competition and invited prospective suppliers to a beauty contest at 229 OCU at Coningsby. The clear winners were Aviation Leathercraft and Simon Green. Initially this was just for 25(F) Sqn and we accepted this was merely social discriminator which was unlikely to be acceptable away from home base. The initial deal was that any aircrew on 25(F) Sqn could purchase a jacket for £70 until such time as I relinquished command. Unfortunately for Simon but great for me I ended up doing nearly 4 years in command so lots of guys benefitted from the £70 deal. If I remember correctly 5 Sqn were the next to join the deal; same jacket but claret lining. Chivenor then followed, all clearly unofficial. Then OC Valley decided to involve himself because we were about to go on MPC and he raised the issue of leather jackets with CinC Support Command. Bad influence on students, not uniform, bad example, won't have it.
The whole saga bounced up to the Air Force Board and back down through the Strike Command chain and they were officially banned. 21 years later they are accepted as uniform. Perhaps when we are looking for savings in public budgets we could just get rid of the wa***rs who interfere without contributing.

The F-4J and F3 team below , what year was it late 80s / early 90s?? Think the Phantom for sure must be 89/90??
https://cimg2.ibsrv.net/gimg/pprune.org-vbulletin/960x751/3e879054_d00f_4a7d_b24e_b574efa56d6f_c28e6bf69859a710e51e13f f568349fbb949c907.jpeg
https://cimg3.ibsrv.net/gimg/pprune.org-vbulletin/507x410/1c3c7c63_a957_4276_9337_2d1dad09c6c0_3337a171373bd4c7fb386d7 3401e21ba78da25c1.jpeg

Funnily enough you talking about Hawk students 25 Sqn reformed as Hawk T2 at Valley in last couple of years.

cheers

chopper2004
2nd Jan 2021, 12:07
This would be the former Bundeswehr issue flight jacket.
https://www.modeka24.de/ItemView.action?menuMainGrp=00000980&menuGrp=00000981&number=214530
However Luftwaffe moved on to fire retardant membrane plastic these days.
https://www.bundeswehr-und-mehr.de/original-bundeswehr-fliegerjacke-gruen-aramid-bw-pilotenjacke_4346 (https://www.bundeswehr-und-mehr.de/original-bundeswehr-fliegerjacke-gruen-aramid-bw-pilotenjacke_4346)
Never seen anybody wearing that outside of Bundeswehr flight duty.

Did see one young lad attended at Heli Expo 2017 inDallas wearing one also please check out the Swedish NH90 NFH handover ceremony video @0:32

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=130XCovElbo

cheers

Less Hair
2nd Jan 2021, 12:59
That's more like official duty? My remark was more about the lack of fancy image of these more functional modern garments.

NutLoose
2nd Jan 2021, 17:00
I've seen the odd one without the flags, btw you can get them in black

https://www.military1st.co.uk/10461002-mil-tec-german-army-leather-flight-jacket-black.html?gclid=EAIaIQobChMIn_f6oun97QIViO7tCh3z8QmFEAQYASA BEgIqbfD_BwE

NutLoose
2nd Jan 2021, 17:13
https://www.haas-ausruestungen.de/artikel/original-german-leather-pilot-flight-jacket-size-4/

;)

Less Hair
2nd Jan 2021, 18:57
Something for the real connoisseur: The Swiss Air Force flight jacket. To the innocent eye it might look like the german one but it IS different.
https://ontopag.ch/shop/fliegerjacken/fliegerjacke-der-schweizer-luftwaffe/

peterperfect
4th Jan 2021, 08:17
These mannequins had quite a presence in the Swissair Biz Lounge at Zurich a few years ago, marketing Breitling.
https://cimg3.ibsrv.net/gimg/pprune.org-vbulletin/1806x1132/breitling_ab20380633a6688cb35f7a092a7b81e3c515c5bb.jpg

chopper2004
5th Jan 2021, 01:13
These mannequins had quite a presence in the Swissair Biz Lounge at Zurich a few years ago, marketing Breitling.
https://cimg3.ibsrv.net/gimg/pprune.org-vbulletin/1806x1132/breitling_ab20380633a6688cb35f7a092a7b81e3c515c5bb.jpg

https://cimg7.ibsrv.net/gimg/pprune.org-vbulletin/471x720/f8bbfcd8_2098_4ef7_ab01_9299f432727e_096b3d25e054df6d71f4ae4 d8708cc3ce0bbccef.jpeg
https://cimg8.ibsrv.net/gimg/pprune.org-vbulletin/471x720/8931fe92_6d9d_401c_9af6_b10523dedde0_61729209dd31e89f3a47ed1 f2cd5748f16655b57.jpeg

57mm
5th Jan 2021, 08:19
Ooh, lovely! Makes me want to don my AR5.......

Less Hair
5th Jan 2021, 08:22
Inhaling their armpit aroma?

NutLoose
5th Jan 2021, 09:31
They come in handy for briefings, you could stick it at the back of the room and then slope off..

chopper2004
5th Jan 2021, 10:58
Ooh, lovely! Makes me want to don my AR5.......

By any chance have you been frequenting likes of the Torture Garden in London lol on a more serious note - 3 decades ago in Saudi , Bahrain and Oman AR5 equipped aircrew were prepping for Desert Storm..

cheers

chopper2004
6th Feb 2021, 20:53
From my book RAF Helicopters The First 20 Years inside cover Flt Lt J H Martin in the classic Irwin with his Belvedere crew that lifted the Sculpture atop the Coventry Cathedral in 1962.

https://cimg0.ibsrv.net/gimg/pprune.org-vbulletin/720x960/f85d4464_4ad2_4740_99e3_0d2e21e9d879_3c1c28328129be618445dfb 7f5e2011beb81df04.jpeg

chopper2004
12th Aug 2021, 15:29
When 25 Sqn reformed at Leeming as an F3 Sqn, their Boss, Mick Martin, wanted the Sqn to have an 'identity'. Aviation Leathercraft supplied the 25 Sqn Tornado Jacket to those guys on the Sqn at a discounted rate and the 'identity' was born.....

The Staish at Valley got to hear about said jackets being worn with uniform and banned them for the Sqn MPC at STCAAME roundabout 1990. He didn't want his impressionable young students being misled. Well those cheeky chappies of 25 Sqn did take their jackets to Valley but never wore them. The Det photo though was just of jackets on hangers, hooked over the 'Winder' rail with each owners name on the photo but with the title 'No Jacket Allowed' (required, gettit?). Don't know if the photo ever got to STCAAMEs corridor wall but it certainly didn't hurt anyones career-the Qwip achieved Air Rank and is now a Director Of Something Important with the CAA!

Be great to see the photo please :)

My 2502 25 sqn Tornado jacket is still in good nick a decade after I purchased it and perhaps todays 25 Sqn instructors should ask Manning & standards if Aviation Leathercraft should reissue this but take out the silhoutte of the F3 from the label.

I wore mine a month ago when flying in the AW149 NMH at Yeovil a month ago,

Cheers

Lima Juliet
12th Aug 2021, 18:27
There is already an approved pattern leather flying jacket that can be worn with No 2 Dress (“blues”) and No 14 Dress (“flying suit” or 1-piece FACS). If there are enough of you that show an interest on a Squadron then Aviation Leathercraft will do a bespoke lining colour and badge if you want it.
https://cimg7.ibsrv.net/gimg/pprune.org-vbulletin/1134x1209/64bae8fb_e981_4b40_acd7_2778bf03de24_9382a39a32eddc13d8e61f5 a800327470c355cba.jpeg

It is very similar to the 25 Sqn or what became the Tornado F3 leather jacket (mine has a V Sqn label in the very same). I also have one of the MOD Approved ones as above - I’ve had it since 1995 and it’s still going strong (once a month rubbed over with midnight blue boot polish). I even had the lining replaced after 20 years by Aviation Leathercraft. They aren’t cheap, but if I think about the 26 years of wear I have had from it, then it works out about £12/year so far - and I fully expect it to be £6/year or less at the rate it’s going!

https://www.flying-jacket.com/jackets/approved-jackets/mod-approved-pattern-jacket/

It is an MOD Pattern and so there are other suppliers. Pop’s Leather in Turkey do their own, with some extra utility items like a gun stowage and linings. https://www.instagram.com/popsleather/?hl=en

However, unless you are Turkey, then you may as well get the UK manufactured version which is of better quality. By the time you have paid for shipping from Turkey (and any customs duty) then the prices are pretty similar.

NutLoose
12th Aug 2021, 18:40
Be great to see the photo please :)

My 2502 25 sqn Tornado jacket is still in good nick a decade after I purchased it and perhaps todays 25 Sqn instructors should ask Manning & standards if Aviation Leathercraft should reissue this but take out the silhoutte of the F3 from the label.

I wore mine a month ago when flying in the AW149 NMH at Yeovil a month ago,

Cheers

want a spare?

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/234100819350?hash=item36817f0596:g:Yj8AAOSw3w5gxc8T

chopper2004
13th Aug 2021, 14:11
There is already an approved pattern leather flying jacket that can be worn with No 2 Dress (“blues”) and No 14 Dress (“flying suit” or 1-piece FACS). If there are enough of you that show an interest on a Squadron then Aviation Leathercraft will do a bespoke lining colour and badge if you want it.
https://cimg7.ibsrv.net/gimg/pprune.org-vbulletin/1134x1209/64bae8fb_e981_4b40_acd7_2778bf03de24_9382a39a32eddc13d8e61f5 a800327470c355cba.jpeg

It is very similar to the 25 Sqn or what became the Tornado F3 leather jacket (mine has a V Sqn label in the very same). I also have one of the MOD Approved ones as above - I’ve had it since 1995 and it’s still going strong (once a month rubbed over with midnight blue boot polish). I even had the lining replaced after 20 years by Aviation Leathercraft. They aren’t cheap, but if I think about the 26 years of wear I have had from it, then it works out about £12/year so far - and I fully expect it to be £6/year or less at the rate it’s going!

https://www.flying-jacket.com/jackets/approved-jackets/mod-approved-pattern-jacket/

It is an MOD Pattern and so there are other suppliers. Pop’s Leather in Turkey do their own, with some extra utility items like a gun stowage and linings. https://www.instagram.com/popsleather/?hl=en

However, unless you are Turkey, then you may as well get the UK manufactured version which is of better quality. By the time you have paid for shipping from Turkey (and any customs duty) then the prices are pretty similar.

Pops leather website does not work so are they still trading?

cheers

just another jocky
19th Aug 2021, 11:56
Pops leather website does not work so are they still trading?

cheers
My Aviation Leathercraft Aircrew Jacket has not been used in several years and is in very good nick. Size 38".