PDA

View Full Version : Tristar Problems Solved

Biggus
16th Dec 2006, 17:38
I read an article in the RAF News today about the recent 'bad press' the Tristar fleet has been receiving. I read it quickly, and don't have it to hand as I type, so forgive me if my recall of it is slightly in error.

Anyway the article was largerly coments from OC Ops at Brize saying effectively that 'everything was actually going well and was due to improve'. It was apparently all a matter of explaining to the Army what the RAF could provide, and a slight change at the Afghan end, and everything would be fine.

Yeah.... tell that to the customer. Still the senior officer in question got a photograph of himself and his name mentioned several times. Oh yes, this article was just above an even briefer one talking about temporary closure of overnight facilities at Brize, with South Cerney as the main alternative!!

Still, would the RAF News actually print an article from a senior officer admitting to all the problems - almost certainly not, as no senior officer would make such a statement, until he had retired that is!!

threeputt
16th Dec 2006, 21:12
Well he should have some understanding of the sitch, as he seems to have been acting OC RAF Brize Norton whilst Malcolm Brecht (ex OC 99 Sqn) has been OC Basra station for the last few months (and earning the QCVS!) Also a young man with career aspirations who would probably never acceed to a fault in the system. In my time the, UK based, RAF had the following AT assets to service worldwide ops:

a. 4 sqns of C-130s.
b. 1 Sqn of VC-10s.
c. 1 Sqn of Belfasts.
d. 2 Sqns of Britannias.
e. 1 Sqn of Comets.
f. 1 Sqn of Argosys.
g. 1 Sqn of Andovers.

There were also a couple of C-130 units in Cyprus and Singapore to help out as well so the point seems to be ? You need more strategic and tactical fixed wing and, perhaps more importantly, rotary AT assets in order to cater for route expansions, UOR's (ESF) unservicabilities and also to give the over worked aircrews and engineers some flexibility to train, exercise and perhaps have some time at home with their families and or on leave. Whilst we have senior officers who are in denial about the level of problems facing the modern expeditionary Air Force then you, who still stay in, will be continually frustrated, overworked, under funded and undervalued.

It's good to 3 Putt now and again!

D-IFF_ident
16th Dec 2006, 22:28
Ok - I'll bite...

It's because of men like the current Execs at Brize that I haven't left already. They are trying to get the job done with minimal support from the Government, constant complaints from the users and now, apparently, personal snipes from the public. Please don't hold against them their attempts to play down all the bad press - if you really do disagree with their comments then you must also understand that it is the policy maker who is to blame, not them. If you feel strongly enough then make a formal complaint about the services of the heavy AT fleet through the appropriate channels.

Knowing Malcolm and T2'd as I do I expect they read here occasionally and I doubt they will find the above comments helpful.

I am planning to leave at my IPP, because of the lack of support from the Government and the public. It's the Government who has dessimated us and the public who views us so negatively. Fixing either would fix the other.

MrBernoulli
17th Dec 2006, 07:18
It's the Government who has dessimated us and the public who views us so negatively. Fixing either would fix the other.

You meant 'decimated', didn't you? :ok:

threeputt
17th Dec 2006, 08:09
My post was not intended as an overt criticism of T2 but, to imply that the problems lie further up the chain. Senior Staff officers who work on the old adage that the best way to promotion is to run a successful budget and save money at every juncture are, in my opinion, at the root of a lot of your current problems. The three services all need more RAF AT assets not £X billion's worth of single seat, cold war fast jets. If I caused offence for anyone at Brize then I am sorry, that was not my intent.

Hat, coat etc

3P

BluntedAtBirth
18th Dec 2006, 08:38
You meant 'decimated', didn't you? :ok:

For a man in the Roman Empire, Biggus is being imprecise. Decimation only involved one in ten being executed. Cuts from 95,00 to 60,000, 60,000 to 48,000, and 48,000 to 41,000 were all worse than decimations.

Biggus
18th Dec 2006, 21:14
D-IFF

..........They are trying to get the job done with minimal support from the Government, constant complaints from the users .........

I take it by users you mean customers? The nerve of those 'users' eh? Fancy making 'constant complaints' just because they think the service they receive is inadequate - and I am being very polite and restrained when I use the word 'inadequate'!