16th Dec 2006, 15:52
You Ag guys gearing up for DDT again?

Turboman
16th Dec 2006, 22:10
Not in Aus.

What are you hearing?

Chimbu chuckles
17th Dec 2006, 02:32
There seems a gathering effort to have the ban on DDT lifted.

20 years ago I was hauling tonnes of the stuff around the PNG highlands in C185s for mosquito/malaria control and was as much victim of the missinformation campaign as anyone...but I have been amazed to learn in the last mths that the stuff is essentially harmless to humans, animals, birds, fish etc and it's banning, without scientific basis, has cost 10s of millions of lives lost to malaria alone, let alone Dengue and all those other mossy spread disaeases.

If you type 'DDT+the truth' into Google you'll see what I mean. I would think its release for use again would have a significant positive effect on the Ag industry.

Turboman
17th Dec 2006, 03:58
The problem CC is that it is/was too cheap and too effective and off patent. Eg. no money to be made selling the stuff. All is not always as it seems.

I don't know of anyone having any serious heath issues from working with DDT nor their offspring.

Chimbu chuckles
17th Dec 2006, 05:47
All is not always as it seems.

Agreed...there is of course the conspiracy theory that goes along the lines of malicous and deliberate population control in the 3rd world...the old 'population bomb' doomsayer BS from the 60s and 70s...but the far more likely scenario is simple corporate greed and market manipulation..with the deaths of faceless millions simply acceptable when it's not your family/friends doing the suffering.

I long ago came to the conclusion that not only are things not always as they seem they are in fact never as they seem.

Be it second hand smoke, global warming, peak oil, DDT, environmentalism...you name it...they have all been captured by vested interests who loudly proclaim their position and work very hard at hiding the real story...hiding the science that shows them to be less than honest.