PDA

View Full Version : MS Word (2000) on XP - spell check woes

BOAC
15th Dec 2006, 15:35
AFAIK I have the correct 'custom.dic' and 'MSSP3EN.LEX' in the appropriate 'proof' folder. If I try to spellcheck, I get 'The custom dictionary C:\blah blah blah (I cannot read the whole path) is not available'. Multiple clicking on 'OK' eventually runs the correct language spell check and both the standard and custom dict are used.

I have trawled the internet and all I can find is a reference to this happening with the Portugese dict. Much fiddling with 'language' and 'spelling and grammar' settings and no changes. I've tried saving custom.dic in unicode as one site suggested.

Any pointers appreciated.

Saab Dastard
15th Dec 2006, 15:43
The path to your custom.dic is

C: \Documents and Settings\"BOAC"\Application Data\Microsoft\Proof

Check that this is correct, and that you have the appropriate permissions.

SD

BOAC
15th Dec 2006, 16:02
All checked, Saab, and all the permissions are ticked (greyed boxes) apart from 'Special permissions'. Folder not shared.

Saab Dastard
15th Dec 2006, 19:18
OK,

Close Word. Go to C: \Documents and Settings\"BOAC"\Application Data\Microsoft\Proof and rename the file from custom.dic to oldcustom.txt.

Now open Word and run a spell check - you should be prompted to create a new custom dictionary file. Create it.

Close word and then copy the contents of oldcustom.txt into the new custom.dic

Does that fix it?

SD

BOAC
15th Dec 2006, 20:55
All ok until run word/spellcheck and I got no prompt to recreate. Its a puzzle!

(Word 2000 SP3 I should add.)

Keef
15th Dec 2006, 23:37
Copy the "old" custom.dic that you renamed into a new Word document, then ask Word to spellcheck it. That might prompt it to think a bit.

I don't remember my way round that version of Word, but isn't there a menu somewhere in the options and settings that tells it what to spellcheck and when, and where the custom.dic lives?

BOAC
16th Dec 2006, 11:01
Good idea, Keef, but it was not fooled! Yes, the settings are all correct, custom.dic is in the \\proof (file://\\proof) folder but I still get the warning. As I said, I cannot see the full path of the file in the message box so it may be that that is wrong, but I cannot find a setting to change/investigate.

Saab Dastard
16th Dec 2006, 11:21
BOAC,

Have you tried searching for your .dic? (Just had to say that ;) ) You never know - you may have more than one!

If you go to tools (oo-err missus)\options and go into Spelling, you get the option to create new. Go into that and you will see the current path - use the drop-down list to see the folder trail. So you can tell where Word is currently holding your .dic, without actually creating another.

SD

BOAC
16th Dec 2006, 12:01
Have you tried searching for your .dic? - yes, but is not very large (Just had to say that:) )

The path looks correct and is where I think it is! The 'file missing' message shows ...\Application Data\M........... and that is all I can see.

Selecting custom.dic in the 'custom dictionaries' window gives ......\Microsoft\proof\custom.dic

maxell
16th Dec 2006, 13:23
If you have the office disc try opening word, then from Help go to detect and repair. That should restore it

Max

BOAC
16th Dec 2006, 16:17
Ta Maxell - I have already tried that and no luck, I'm afraid. I think IT thinks all is well since the file is where it should be!

Keef
16th Dec 2006, 16:51
Call me a contrary old codger (!) but when my daughter used to use my PC, I set up two separate custom.dics - one (for her) in proof, and one in C:\Keef\Custom.dic.

You could try changing the location - but I bet you did that already.

BOAC
16th Dec 2006, 16:57
Now why would you not want HER words in your text?:)

Yes - I've had custon.dic in several places with no success. I have just completed a remove /reinstall and it is the same. The strange thing is that when I have finished frantic mutli-clicking on the 'cannot find' message, the spell check concludes, having accepted all the words in the custom.dic........................:confused:

maxell
16th Dec 2006, 16:58
Found this
It would appear that Word is looking for your Custom.dic in a different
> profile. Have you changed the name of your profile? Clearly, if Word is
> looking for Custom.dic in C:\Documents and Settings\DYork\Application
> Data\Microsoft\Proof and it actually resides in C:\Documents and
> Settings\Donny\Application Data\Microsoft\Proof, then it's not going to find
> it. I should think you might be able to change the path using Tools |
> Options | Spelling and Grammar: Custom Dictionaries... You may have to
> remove the one with the incorrect path and add the one with the new path
search on THIS (http://www.microsoft.com/communities/newsgroups/en-us/default.aspx?guid=4b27a727-63ec-43e3-b0aa-d98b0db27c54) site with custom dictionary not available in the discussion groups

Max

Keef
16th Dec 2006, 17:17
Now why would you not want HER words in your text?:)

Cos she was doing an MA at the time and was filling my dictionary with some very strange stuff. It is a bit confusing to find your PC typing right-to-left and in Ivrit. We came to an amicable arrangement - she left it in English, logged on as me.

It's not my problem any more - and her husband has a separate PC.

vapilot2004
16th Dec 2006, 19:19
You may want to try checking these registry entries for MS Office:

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Shared Tools\Proofing Tools\Custom Dictionaries

There should be a "Default" String value with no data and a String Value named "1" with the data "CUSTOM.DIC".

Values are repeated here for Office XP and some vers of 2000:

HKEY_USERS\S-1-5-21-1935655697-926492609-839522115-1003\Software\Microsoft\Shared Tools\Proofing Tools\Custom Dictionaries

If the HKEY_USERS.... item above is not found on your system, please try a search for "Custom Dictionaries" from the root of HKEY_USERS to locate.

Good Luck!

BOAC
17th Dec 2006, 11:13
Vap/maxell - looked at all of those. Quite bizarre really. All the paths etc appear to be in place, but the message keeps appearing.

I have 'recreated' the custom.dic and no success.

I have decided to uninstall yet again, and this time I will remove all registry references to office and reinstall and see if I can beat this into submssion!

Edit: Uninstall, Spring clean, install and the same:{

Edit 2: Does the 'Custom Dictionary' language setting matter? Mine shows 'none'.