PDA

View Full Version : Safety Altitude Regulations in French Airspace

Been There...
15th Dec 2006, 08:41
I wonder if someone with experience of flying in France (or anywhere else in Europe) can explain how they calculate their safety altitude (not how the RAF calculate their safety altitude in French or European Airspace).

I am involved in a military project trying to define a SALT corridor within an FMS. The french civilian FTE reckons the French do not have a stepped margin eg RAF rules 0-3000ft, add 1000ft, 3001+ add 2000ft but rather they just have one value. In true French-British fashion I don't believe him :) as it seems weird that the UK, US and Canadians have stepped values and they don't.

Can anyone shed any light on this matter or point me in the direction of somewhere I can find the EASA (or national) regs for this?

Regards

DaveyBoy
15th Dec 2006, 14:51
Yes there are differences throughout the world. There is even a difference in the UK between civil and military. You'll note that in the MSAs calculated on civilian TAPs, they only add 2000' when the terrain is 5000', instead of 3000'.

Certainly on all the French-produced TAPs I've used, they seem to have just added 1500' regardless of terrain height when coming up with their MSA.

threeputt
15th Dec 2006, 15:16
You might get a sensible answer if you contact the European Air Group at High Wycombe?

3Putts again

Been There...
15th Dec 2006, 15:28
Thanks, I had forgotten about them. Trying to track down a French TP here but they all have sore heads from a dinner last night!

Tester07
16th Dec 2006, 13:47
I'm not sure why you would think a TP would be an expert on this subject! :)

Background Noise
16th Dec 2006, 14:24
As far as I recall the french mil use 2 standard SALT values east and west of a certain longitude - I don't have a map or a MIAC in front of me but it is something like F115 to the west and F195 to the east. How they calculate MSAs for use on TAPs I don't know.

T07 - perhaps it is his being french that he is after :p