PDA

View Full Version : Jet time for PIC upgrade

15th Dec 2006, 05:55
Our CP has just ammended our operations manual and I think he's been very mean to our co pilots.

It now states that they must have 1200 hours JET time before commencing any PIC upgrade training.

I think thats a little on the high side, as all our guys have over 5000TT [on turboprops - Not many jets downunder] and with our department average 250 - 300 hours per year, a new guy would have to wait at least four years.

My question is - what is your company policy regarding JET time for command upgrades.

Sgnr de L'Atlantique
17th Dec 2006, 11:52
I dont know but maybe this might have something to do with the insurance contract they have as well.

1200hrs JET seems VERY low to me, even if you have some turboprop time under your belt. Hrs JET are the reference....

In most non european big airlines you need 5000hrs heavy jet time before even being considered for an upgrade...

His dudeness
17th Dec 2006, 12:54
Insurance might be the reason...

Altough I will never really understand why. Any good turbopropdriver is as good as any good jetjockey. I moved from the L/H seat KingAir to L/H seat Citation years ago and was really afraid: the CP in that company was telling me again and again how difficult to fly a jet is. I sat in the sim and was constantly asking myself: so when does the tricky parts come?
To cut a long story short: there are a few jets that can be nasty at times, but so can turboprops... if one gets a good, solid introduction (read: sim) he will be able to cope.

flyingmasai
17th Dec 2006, 13:46
Our company OM A required 1500 hours multi pilot and 2000 hours total on any planes to go PIC on Citations .
An amendment was made for the CJ fleet: 250 hours on the plane with no prior jet or multi pilot experience but 2000 hours on multi engine aircraft.

I think this was done because captain are hard to find and even harder when offering a pic position on the CJ2.

Those are minimum requirement for our civil aviation, but you still have to prove that you can do the job.