PDA

View Full Version : I Hate The Media

Delta
14th Dec 2006, 23:18
ok...about time there was a thread on the media....the amount of hate for them expresed by individuals is extreme....so hate them, love them, ignore them, but give us your thoughts of the F:mad: ing, useles, enoying, MEDIA:

me...i hate them....i think thay are as useles as tits on a bull!!!!!!!!!!!!!

booo to the media!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

:ugh: :ugh: :ugh:

D

Um... lifting...
15th Dec 2006, 01:27
Cynical Media Quotes (courtesy of 'The Cynic's Lexicon' by Jonathon Green):

On media in general:

Mass democracy, mass morality and the mass media thrive independently of the individual, who joins them at a cost of at least a partial perversion of his instinct and insights. He pays for his social ease with what used to be called his soul, his discriminations, his uniqueness, his psychic energy, his self.
-Al Alvarez, The Listener, 1971

The quality of legislation passed to deal with a problem is inversely proportional to the volume of media clamour that brought it on.
-G. Ray Funkhouser, quoted in The Official Rules by P. Dickson, 1978

The organisation of American society is an interlocking system of semi-monopolies notoriously venal, an electorate notoriously unenlightened, misled by a mass media notoriously phoney.
-Paul Goodman, The Community of Scholars, 1962

When there is official censorship it is a sign that speech is serious. When there is none, it is pretty certain that the official spokesmen have all the loudspeakers.
-Paul Goodman, Growing Up Absurd, 1960

The media, far from being a conspiracy to dull the political sense of the people, could be viewed as a conspiracy to disguise the extent of political indifference.
-David Riesman, American sociologist

On newspapers:

To a newspaper man a human being is an item with skin wrapped around it.
-Fred Allen

I read the newspaper avidly. It is my one form of continuous fiction.
-Aneurin Bevan, British politician, 1960

(The) constant yelping about a free press means, with a few honoourable exceptions, freedom to peddle scandal, crime, sex, sensationalism, hate, innuendo and the political financial uses of propaganda. A newspaper is a business out to make money through advertising revenue. That is predicated on its circulation and you know what circulation depends on.
-Raymond Chandler, The Long Good-bye, 1953

To the majority of (newspapermen) a woman is either somebody's mother or a whore.
-Alexander King, Rich Man, Poor Man, Freud and Fruit, 1965

Everything you read in the newspapers is absolutely true, except for that rare story of which you happen to have first-hand knowledge.
-Erwin Knoll, American editor

There is but one way for a newspaperman to look at a politician, and that is down.
-Frank H. Simonds, American journalist, 1878-1936

You know very well that whether you are on page one or page thirty depends on whether (the press) fear you. it is just as simple as that.
-Richard M. Nixon

The First Law of Journalism: to confirm existing prejudice, rather than contradict it.
-Alexander Cockburn, British journalist, (more) magazine, 1974

The interview is an intimate conversation between journalist and politician wherein the journalist seks to take advantage of the garrulity of the politician and the politician of the credulity of the journalist.
-Emery Kelen, American journalist, b. 1896

How is the world ruled and how do wars start? Diplomats tell lies to journalists, and they believe what they read.
-Karl Kraus, Austrian artist, Aphorisms and More Aphorisms, 1909

Journalists write because they have nothing to say, and have something to say because they write.
-Karl Kraus

There are honest journalists like there are honest politicians. When bought they stay bought.
-Bill Moyers

The only qualities for real success in journalism are ratlike cunning, a plausible manner and a little literary ability. The capacity to steal other people's ideas and phrases . . . is also invaluable.
-Nicolas Tomalin, British journalist, Stop the press, I Want to Get On

In America the President rules for four years and journalism governs for ever and ever.
-Oscar Wilde

There is much to be said in favour of modern journalism. By giving us the opinions of the uneducated, it keeps us in touch with the ignorance of the community.
-Oscar Wilde

The public have an insatiable curiosity to know everything. Except what is worth knowing. Journalism, conscious of this, and having tradesman-like habits, supplies their demands.
-Oscar Wilde

Most rock journalism is people who can't write interviewing people who can't talk for people who can't read.
-Frank Zappa

I wouldn't tell the people anything until the war is over, and then I'd tell them who won.
-American military censor on the ideal use of the media in war

On television:

Imitation is the sincerest form of television.
-Fred Allen, quoted in Esquire magazine, 1971

No television performance takes as much preparation as an off-the-cuff talk.
-Richard M. Nixon

Television is summer stock in an iron lung.
-The Manchester Guardian, 1959

Television is a whore. Any man who wants her full favours can have them in five minutes with a pistol.
-Hijacker, quoted in Esquire magazine, 1977

Television is more interesting than people. If it were not, we should have people standing in the corners of our rooms.
-Alan Coren, British humorist

If any reader of this book is in the grip of some habit of which he is deeply ashamed, I advise him not to give way to it in secret but to do it on television. No-one will pass him with averted gaze on the other side of the street. People will cross the road at the risk of losing their own lives in order to say 'We saw you on the telly.'
-Quentin Crisp

Television is an invention that permits you to be entertained in your living room by people you wouldn't have in your home.
-David Frost

Television - a medium. So called because it is neither rare nor well done.
-Ernie Kovacs, American comedian

Delta
15th Dec 2006, 02:12
at leas some people out there agree with me!!!!!!!!!!!!!
thanks for that Um... lifting...
D

Oceanz
15th Dec 2006, 03:01
Delta, even I agree with you to a large degree. And my main profession was tech. ops in News & Current affairs for networks (mainly public rather than commercial) - there are very few journos from over the years that I have any respect for.

There was a period in the early 90's when things started to change rapidly, where news started to be infiltrated to a larger degree than ever before by opinion and speculation, things normally covered by current affairs.

Sadly, from what I have seen, it is going to getw orse as the ethics - yes there used to be some - don't even seem to be taught much any more.

Oceanz

Jerricho
15th Dec 2006, 03:12
Not as much as I do.

obgraham
15th Dec 2006, 05:23
Well, most of us hate the media and think they are a bunch of pompous but ignorant fools.
Except when they produce something we agree with. Then they are knowledgeable self-sacrificing wonderful folks.

Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaargh!
15th Dec 2006, 05:28
I quite like them. How else would you get in touch with all those dead relatives?

Captain Smithy
15th Dec 2006, 07:17
ok...about time there was a thread on the media....the amount of hate for them expresed by individuals is extreme....so hate them, love them, ignore them, but give us your thoughts of the F:mad: ing, useles, enoying, MEDIA:

me...i hate them....i think thay are as useles as tits on a bull!!!!!!!!!!!!!

booo to the media!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

:ugh: :ugh: :ugh:

D

Well said my friend. I especially hate the BBC:yuk: :yuk: and the Daily Mail:yuk: :yuk:

Loose rivets
15th Dec 2006, 07:35
Well said my friend. I especially hate the BBC:yuk: :yuk:

You're just sucking up to the FSL, you. :rolleyes:

Captain Smithy
15th Dec 2006, 07:46
FSL?

I really can't stand the Beeb. Their programming is garbage, "news" reporting extremely biased and we also have to pay them to watch TV.

Ontariotech
15th Dec 2006, 18:09
I agree that the media needs to be placed into a coal sack, and beaten with a pipe.

That being said, one of the more reliable sources for reporting, and one of the only ones I trust are the BBC.

I boycotted CNN, and all the American Garbage. Canadian Media is no much Better, but the CBC with Peter Mansbridge is accurate reporting in my opnion.

And I don't trust newspapers. Although they can double up as bog wipe in an emergency, should the need ever arise.

pulse1
15th Dec 2006, 18:26
I really can't stand the Beeb. Their programming is garbage, "news" reporting extremely biased and we also have to pay them to watch TV.

I got so cross with the BBC this week I actually wrote and complained.
The lunchtime news had a report on the forthcoming Tory report on the causes of crime and poverty. Now I am no Tory lover and won't be surprised if the report is actually full of waffle and cr&p but at least they seem to have put some effort into finding out a bit about it.

The BBC reporter interviewed three people in a down & out hostel in Glasgow and then dismissed the report (not yet published) with the comment "well it's obviously more complicated than that". Biased or what?

Wyler
19th Dec 2006, 12:56
My daughters were watching Newsround on the BBC last night. They had a piece on what Christmas meant to children in the UK today. They interviewed 6 kids and not one was Christian. They were all Muslim and started bt saying, 'We don't celebrate/recognise Christmas but we like presents etc etc'.
Although a general fan of the BBC I do get fed up when it comes to education because of crap like this and the fact that every 'child' they interview, on all news programmes, always seems to be from some kind of ethnic minority.

The day got better though as I went to the High Schools Christmas Carol concert in the local church and it was fantastic. Well done to the kids (of all ages and colours.....).

under_exposed
19th Dec 2006, 13:13
Do your comments apply to this medium?

Tigger4Me
19th Dec 2006, 13:17
I was on duty in a Police control room one day and fielded a call from the News of the World sniffing around for a story and asking if anything had gone on overnight. I told him no, we were very quiet but that wasn't good enough.

"You must have had something, nobody is that quiet. Not even an RTA?"

Well we did have a fatal but I doubted that in our sleepy county that was of any interest to the nation I told him. "Well that depends," he said. "Was it multiple deaths or anyone famous?" No just someone's much loved son. Says it all really and yes, I hate them too. So much so I don't even buy a paper any more.

Flip Flop Flyer
19th Dec 2006, 13:29
Hate the media? Well, no, not all of them. Do I have nothing but contempt for the vast majority of tabloids? Oh yes! But, what really gets my goat is all those gullible feckwits who buy these rags, and owing to their ignorance, personal view, uneducated minds (or a combination thereof) actually belive what they read. That's the real problem.

One could argue that the rags are only offering a product which is in demand by the unwashed masses. So, who's the real culprits?

G-CPTN
19th Dec 2006, 13:43
I blame fish and chip shops. If it hadn't been for fish and chips, newspapers wouldn't have been invented.

Juud
19th Dec 2006, 14:08
Hate the media?
What kind of stupid notion is that?

If it wasn't for the media, who of us would know anything about anything further afield than our direct village/family/circle of friends?
You all would prefer to go back to the enlightened state people in the middle ages found themselves in?
Dependant on town-crier and carrier pigeon for information about what goes on in the world around you?

All of you who here so eagerly profess your righteous 'hatred'; either you partake of the media's offerings and as such your hatred is at best hypocritical or you have abstained for a long time and as such have no idea what it is you so enjoy hating.
Either way, a pretty flawed argument IMO.

The media are collectively a consumption article. We have the choice to decide what we want to see, read or listen to. The variety is nearly unlimited, more so now that we have the internet.
Unless you are a resourceless sheep merely preferring to pay good money for rubbish news rather than making an effort to seek out what you think is quality reporting, YOU choose your media.

So if you hate the media YOU choose to partake of, what does that say about you?

PS I: apart from that, what flip flop says ;)
PS II: Captn Smithy, FSL = First Sea Lord Draper. FYI

Foss
19th Dec 2006, 14:39
I hate the media, nonsense.
Every paper has an agenda, that's fine.
Read a couple of different ones and make up you own mind.
Information is empowerment, but you have to get the information first.
If you don't like the Daily Mail why are you reading it.
Where are you going to get your TV guide, that's a journalist doing that.
Do you watch the news on TV, listen to it on a radio, all media, but not read it in a paper.

rant over

Fos

frostbite
19th Dec 2006, 15:41
If it wasn't for the media, who of us would know anything about anything further afield than our direct village/family/circle of friends?

Fair enough, but I sometimes wonder whether the great unwashed would be better able to handle just the parochial stuff.

lgw bean flicker
19th Dec 2006, 16:13
I hate the media too,...... I mean,.... now we cant even take pictures of our tadgers during a flight and email to random women without the Sun making a meal of it

:}

Captain Smithy
19th Dec 2006, 19:36
PS II: Captn Smithy, FSL = First Sea Lord Draper. FYI

Ah, all is clear. Thanks mate.;) Although my hatred of the BBC is very much a judgement I made independently;)