PDA

View Full Version : World's Longest Mail Run Part 2

Desert Flower
14th Dec 2006, 21:34
For those that are interested, grab yourselves a copy of the Outback magazine (Dec 2006/Jan 2007) & turn to pages 98-99. There you will find a photo of our very own Outback Mail Run pilot. ;)

DF.

tlf
14th Dec 2006, 21:47
Which one? :)

disco_air
14th Dec 2006, 22:03
the current one of course...:ok:

BTW any veteran mail run pilots have any tips for santa suit mods to suit 45 degree heat? :O

...disco

maxgrad
14th Dec 2006, 22:08
Santa suit mods?
The one I used to wear had a rip in the nether region, kept the goolees cool but still was melting everywhere else.

tlf
15th Dec 2006, 00:23
We should have a website, kind of a hall of fame of past and present mail run pilots and their mounts.

Ratshit
15th Dec 2006, 00:52
So which is the "World's Longest Mail Run"?

The one run out of Port Augusta by Airlines of South Australia, north up the Birdsville track to Boulia etc

Outback :: The Heart of Australia (http://www.outbackmag.com.au/home.asp?pageid=EBA73141ABF57D53&articleid=B21B8CC0D0DA4330) Jody Rollings is a pilot, and along with his colleagues at Airlines of South Australia, he operates what is described as the "World's Longest Mail Run".

or the one run out of Cairns by Cape York Air Services, north up Cape York?

Destinations - Tropical North Queensland - News - Tourism Queensland (http://www.qttc.com.au/destinations/tropical-north-queensland/news/news_home.cfm?col2Includes=infopieces.dsp_story_full&obj_uuid=1F3EC271-BA2C-06DB-1C81-779FFE80FF24)... the pilot from Cape York Air services, which operates the world's longest mail run out of Cairns in the Tropical North of Queensland, Australia.

R:cool:

maxgrad
15th Dec 2006, 01:03
Miles covered in one day?, sector lenghts? a/c type? Number of destinations?
Define longest mail run in the above idea if you intend to do it.....or not:}

tinpis
15th Dec 2006, 03:19
Dunno...but Lake Eyre was full of water when I was doing it.....and the Diamantina was wet not dusty ...gonna be a bloody long time before that happens again I reckon :uhoh:

bushy
15th Dec 2006, 10:55
Connair used to do five day mail runs out of Alice Springs, using Beech 18, DH heron etc. They went to WA NT, Qld, and home.

tinpis
16th Dec 2006, 10:03
Har har...remember one trip in a Cherokee 6....solid IMC piddlin rain from Boulia to BDV cruising LSA sittin there eating me sandwiches A/P engaged feet up on dash when it suddenly struck me...****e if I misses BDV have I got enough gas for Maree?

Wonder how many have logged a trip in IMC over that route? :hmm:

BTW does anyone remember a wonderful man named Bruce Bretherton?

God knows how many times he did that mail flight.

tlf
16th Dec 2006, 12:17
BTW does anyone remember a wonderful man named Bruce Bretherton?

God knows how many times he did that mail flight.

Sure do.
One of South Australia's aviation gentlemen.

Deejay 1
16th Dec 2006, 23:18
I know it's the silly season and all that but puhleeeeeese PPRuNe'rs surely you can't have missed the glaring errors in this article.

1 Jody Rollings and his colleagues at AIRLINES OF SOUTH AUSTRALIA. ASA bit the dust in November 2005!

2 In the AirNorth ASA days there was no Jody Rollings, nor any of the other pilots mentioned.

3 In the AirNorth ASA days, Chieftains flew the Mail Run not Aero Commanders.

So what gives? I know for a fact that ASA was never approached by Outback Magazine to do a story on the Mail Run, so this article must have been written pre Oct 2003 or is a compilation.

And does anybody know who John Dunn and Trevor Fox are????

So what am I, a non pilot, missing here? Is there some sort of secret handshake conspiracy happening????

Can't wait for the replies.

Rock On!

Deejay 1

tinpis
16th Dec 2006, 23:41
Sure do.
One of South Australia's aviation gentlemen.

The very same gent showed me the ropes on the mail-run
Introduced me to all the characters at the Birdsville boozer
EVERYONE knew Brucie:ok:

Desert Flower
16th Dec 2006, 23:52
I know it's the silly season and all that but puhleeeeeese PPRuNe'rs surely you can't have missed the glaring errors in this article.
1 Jody Rollings and his colleagues at AIRLINES OF SOUTH AUSTRALIA. ASA bit the dust in November 2005!
2 In the AirNorth ASA days there was no Jody Rollings, nor any of the other pilots mentioned.
3 In the AirNorth ASA days, Chieftains flew the Mail Run not Aero Commanders.
So what gives? I know for a fact that ASA was never approached by Outback Magazine to do a story on the Mail Run, so this article must have been written pre Oct 2003 or is a compilation.
And does anybody know who John Dunn and Trevor Fox are????
So what am I, a non pilot, missing here? Is there some sort of secret handshake conspiracy happening????
Can't wait for the replies.
Rock On!
Deejay 1

The glaring errors in this article are that if you are looking at the online copy it is definitely NOT the same as the hard copy. Yes, the online one was done pre Oct 2003. And it isn't even Jody Rollings in the photo, it is Jeff Hodges. The article I referred to in my original post in issue 50 Dec2006/Jan 2007 has a photo of the CURRENT mail run pilot, our very own DISCO AIR. ;) And no, I haven't a clue who John Dunn & Trevor Fox are. Care to enlighten me?

DF.

Deejay 1
19th Dec 2006, 09:11
Point taken DF.
It goes to show though that you shouldn't believe everything your read.
The following line is straight off the Outback site:
Full article available in this issue of the OUTBACK magazine. Visit our subscription centre.
Given the wording one would suggest that this is an excerpt of said article as it refers to the full article in the current issue.
And without having the benefit of seeing the printed article, as Split Enz sang "What's a poor boy to do?".
As usual its not PPRuNe issue its damn OUTBACK, for getting it sooooooooooo wrong.
Wonder what poor old RM would think about such sloppiness!
DF I don't know who the pilots are so I can't enlighten you.

Rock on!
And Merry Christmas to all!

Torres
19th Dec 2006, 21:28
Some years ago Australia Post did an article on RASS/Australia Post mail services.

I seem to recall the Port Augusta Airways service to Birdsville (and Mt Isa??) was the longest, however one of the Cape York Air services was the longest one day air mail service.

Jedi
20th Dec 2006, 03:31
It was less than 10 years ago when a certain mail run out of Alice visited 21 stops a week (thankfully it was only weekly), in 8hrs of flying and 12hrs duty for the day.
May not have been the longest but was definitely a big day!!:ouch: By the end of it, checking the log was the only was to remember if youd stopped at them all. ;)

Anyone know if its still going?

maxgrad
20th Dec 2006, 03:44
Still is but some stops added and deleted.
That just happens to be one of the runs I did the Santa thingy on

OpsNormal
22nd Dec 2006, 11:46
Still is but some stops added and deleted.
That just happens to be one of the runs I did the Santa thingy on

Me three.... Yes, it still goes... and in a 210 to boot.

apache
23rd Dec 2006, 09:53
I was fairly lucky. I had to do the santa thingy on the Mail Run which visits DF, but broke down in DF-Land. By the time I was ready to go, I was going to run out of duty time, so had to hot-foot it back to YPPF, and go home for the weekend, whilst some other poor bugger had to do the MR some 8 hours late.

Then ... the german tourists apparently wanted a beer in YBDV, but the beer was too cold, so he asked one of the ringers if they had one in their Toyota! One ringer had a XXXX gold, rolling about in the tray, which he promptly gave to the german man, who drank it... it was 46C that day, and the beer would have been at LEAST that warm...:{

Pinky the pilot
28th Dec 2006, 04:52
So disco_air; How did you go with the Santa suit on the run?

I remember doing the run with several pilots (as second pilot when a Chieftain was used) whom had in the past scored the Christmastime run. One or two wore the Santa suit but only when using the Shrike Commander and found it somewhat of a trial if it was a hot day. (Surprise surprise!:eek: )

One other Pilot flatly refused to wear it for just that reason, another stated that he would do likewise if he was rostered for the Christmas run. I never ever got to do the run as PIC; It nearly happened but 'Murphy' had other ideas but I had already made up my mind that if the situation arose I would also decline to wear the suit.

My 'Ho Ho Ho' is somewhat unconvincing anyway!:E :}

morno
28th Dec 2006, 07:53
Disco had to make an unscheduled visit to YBMA, and flatly refused to wear the Santa suit in front of his fellow workers, :}. Much to the disappointment of those there, they wanted a laugh, :ok:.

morno

Pseudonymn
28th Dec 2006, 09:29
morno, they only needed that laugh cos their normal target is away on holidays...

When are ya back? :8

morno
28th Dec 2006, 10:50
:sad::*, thanks Pseudo...

And I was still around then! That was the day before I left I believe.

The plane ticket says a Tuesday soon but not too soon, :ok:.

And if you're wondering, the beach is lovely, the sunburn not so lovely, :ugh:

morno

Pseudonymn
28th Dec 2006, 10:54
No worries, mate. Anytime! :ok:

Must have left ya 10 gallon hat at home if ya got sunburnt... http://i49.photobucket.com/albums/f264/jenbean76/couch.gif

morno
28th Dec 2006, 11:05
It didn't quite fit in the suitcase, :bored:

I expect the whole fleet to be washed and polished by the time I get back there by the way, :ok:

Pseudonymn
28th Dec 2006, 11:07
Not by me! :ok:

Continental-520
30th Dec 2006, 02:05
Little does he know he'll be the one doing it!

I believe there are a few C182 flights coming up, too...

:D

the wizard of auz
30th Dec 2006, 03:01
Strewth, you blokes got 182 there. I never saw one while I was passing through. I bet you can't get Pseudonym to mount that steed. :}

Continental-520
30th Dec 2006, 13:41
Perhaps not Pseudonym personally, but you'd be surprised, Wiz!

520. :ooh:

disco_air
2nd Jan 2007, 11:17
the santa suit was stinkin hot and was only worn when required (stops where kids were at, and no, morno, youre not a kid :p )

the beard was the first to go :=

was blowing a dog off a chain in dust at birdsville (and only in birdsville) and many stations got the rain they were waiting for shortly after my visit that week. :ok:

...disco

ContactMeNow
3rd Jan 2007, 04:25
was blowing a dog off a chain in birdsville ...disco

Sounds like you have spent too much time in Birdsville :E

CMN :ok:

morno
3rd Jan 2007, 06:05
was blowing a dog off a chain in dust at birdsville

Yeah!! I noticed from the plane covered in dust when you returned it to us, :E.

Never mind mate, she got a good wash that night when I was flying around in the pouring rain.

morno

tinpis
29th Jan 2007, 02:42
Any photos of the dusty Diamantina with water innit?
The Birdv pub surrounded by a moat? :}

Pelicans abound?

They like to crze up around 7k

Big buggers give ya the evil eye (beak) when ya sneaks up on them

disco_air
29th Jan 2007, 02:58
Havent seen any pelicans yet :\

Here's some shots however...

http://www.myfoto.com.au/Photo/sdhbeveridge/h/Preview/SSA40022.JPG

Birdsville's moat...

http://www.myfoto.com.au/Photo/sdhbeveridge/h/Preview/SSA40023.JPG

The road out of town....

http://www.myfoto.com.au/Photo/sdhbeveridge/h/Preview/SSA40047.JPG

Diamantina in the morning...

http://www.myfoto.com.au/Photo/sdhbeveridge/h/Preview/SSA40096.JPG

A whole of 3 sectors on the first day last week due lots of water :D :ok: :}

...disco

tinpis
29th Jan 2007, 03:03
Bloody ripper :ok: at least the folks up that way wont have to wash and drink the water out of the ****house like they will in Brizvegas :ooh:

disco_air
29th Jan 2007, 03:06
Yep... as the saying goes...

Water water everywhere, so lets all have a drink!

Notice: No parody whatsoever for the Rime of the Ancient Mariner :}

Chadzat
29th Jan 2007, 07:45
GREAT photos disco_air. I was up there for the races this year flying scenics during the weekend and to see it bone dry then and now in flood is really quite something!

What is the condition of the strips around Lake Eyre? Is YWMC servicable?

Desert Flower
29th Jan 2007, 09:54
Big buggers give ya the evil eye (beak) when ya sneaks up on them

They also give ya a big dent in the wing if ya hits them! ;)

DF.

disco_air
8th Jun 2007, 04:05
After 66 mail runs & 16 months straight I have handed over the fantastic job to someone new.

Its been a great stint and have made some friends for life in places I never knew existed before :ok:

...disco

Peter Fanelli
8th Jun 2007, 05:41
When I moved to Port Agutta I moved into a unit which as it turns out was vacated by the pilot I replaced at U4/5 Frome St.

Anyone else happen to have lived there?

Wee Mary McGregor
8th Jun 2007, 10:36
After 66 mail runs & 16 months straight I have handed over the fantastic job to someone new. Its been a great stint and have made some friends for life in places I never knew existed before

Aye laddie, you will be sorely missed! :{

Wee Mary.

swiss_pilot
16th Feb 2013, 15:48
Hello together

My name is Lukas Schellenberg, I'm 34 years old and I come from Switzerland.

I've found this forum for pilot. I hope one persone can help me. :ouch:

I will travel around Australia from 10th June to 31th July and now my question is if it's possible to fly with a postman of the mail run from 3th to 5th July 2013? I have send a lot of request to different providers but received no response. :bored:

I have the privat pilot licence in Switzerland for piper PA28 with around 100 hours flying. My rating is only in Visual Flight Rules. I work in a real full flight simulator Boeing 737-800 New Generation and give Instrument Flight Rules lesson for the students with voice practice.

My wish would be to fly as a passenger with another pilot. If required, I will be pleased to take the role of pilot non flying.

Perhaps a colleague has contacts to an office where I could such a book arragement?

I would be very delighted, when I could fly these 3 days with a pilot colleague.

Thank you very much for you help and the response.

Best regards

Lukas

bentleg
16th Feb 2013, 20:39
Try westwing aviation (http://www.westwing.com.au/mail-runs). They do quite few mail runs.

Swamp Duck
16th Feb 2013, 23:56
As a former mail run pilot, 1998 - 2000, I flew with both Jody Rollings and Jeff Hodges and the Outback magazine did do a story at that time so the story referred to in this post may be a reprint from Dec 1998, It referred to the pilot as Jody Rollings but the photos are of Jeff Hodges. I still have a copy.
The run was done in an Aero Commander VH-ACZ . The only time a Chieftain was used was if the Aero Commander was U/S and the Santa Clause run, as the Chieftain had Aircon. When ever the Chieftain was used we took a brakes man (usually a commercial student from one of the flying schools) as we didn't shut down at stops because of the turbos.
The run was 1500nm, 26 landings (27 if you stopped in at Moomba for fuel due weather) just checked, I still have a flight plan. Overnight was in Boulia.
To the poster who thought it was a good thing to get out of the Santa run, I can tell you it was one of the greatest experiences of my career. Yes it was hot, one year 47 deg at BDV. I remember getting out of the plane at Leigh Creek on the way home and just standing under that shower thing next to the bowser. You were the only Santa these remote kids ever saw, and they came out of the woodwork, I never knew there was so many kids out there. We gave out lolly pack to the kids at each stop. The gratitude from the station people and the joy it gave to the kids made it all worthwhile.
I kept a file of letters sent from passengers I carried on the run which is about 4 inches thick and I also have two documentaries on DVD of the run, one by the BBC and the other from a German TV station if anyone is interested.
I left Airlines of South Australia in 2000 and flew for QantasLink for 13 years before returning to bush flying with my present position with the RFDS and again have the job satisfaction I craved since flying the mail run.
I would love to catch up with Jody, Jeff or any one else who flew the run if possible, so if you read this let me know what you are up to, regards Cobbo.

Desert Flower
17th Feb 2013, 04:29
Looks like WW isn't doing it any more. There's been a Chieftain doing it for a little while now, & my records show it as being owned by Chinta Air of Ceduna.

I remember getting out of the plane at Leigh Creek on the way home and just standing under that shower thing next to the bowser.

Ah yes, & before that there was one pilot who would just stand there (fully clothed) while I hit him with the hose! Also believe another pilot was treated to the sight of some foreign tourist chick stripping off & jumping under the shower. :eek:

DF.

P.S. Does Swamp Duck = J (or was it G) C & your dad/brother had an Aerostar? If so, PM me!

swiss_pilot
17th Feb 2013, 15:56
Hello everybody

@ bentleg
thank you for your answer. I have contact them and I'm waiting for an answer.

@ Swamp Duck
thank you for share your experience with us. Could you please provide me the name of the German documentation? I would this really appreciate. I have contacted ww and I'm waiting for an answer of them.

regards Lukas

Desert Flower
17th Feb 2013, 21:38
Well Lukas, unfortunately I have some bad news for you. I have just been on the phone with Chinta Air (the company that now have the mail run contract) & they are no longer allowed to carry passengers on the run - it is strictly freight only. Gawd - how times have changed! :{

DF.

PLovett
18th Feb 2013, 01:44
they are no longer allowed to carry passengers on the run - it is strictly freight only. Gawd - how times have changed!

I have my suspicions that CASA are after these types of operations again by classifying them as RPT if they sell seats. I know this was tried back in early 2000 but got howled down by certain pollies. However, with their recent win in the Federal Court against Directair the signs are all there.

outnabout
18th Feb 2013, 01:58
Tourists are not permitted to fly on the Kimberley mail planes since late last year. I heard a rumour that some charter operators were fairly unhappy that passengers could fly on the mail plane, in a cheap seat on a route that was essentially funded by Aust Post.

Desert Flower
18th Feb 2013, 02:06
I have my suspicions that CASA are after these types of operations again by classifying them as RPT if they sell seats.

They were always classified as RPT even if they didn't have passengers on the day, & we had to do runway inspections on the days they were due in.

DF.

bilbert
18th Feb 2013, 02:48
The RASS flights are primarily passenger services to remote stations and are RPT. Westwing still operate the Cape York and Mt Isa RASS RPT routes and did operate the Pt Augusta to BDV run. The mail is secondary and carried as payload available so not strictly a "Mail" run. The cost of compliance with RPT in small aircraft has not been matched by any increases in the funding for RASS so the PAG run is now only paid for by Austpost hence no pax.

Swamp Duck
19th Feb 2013, 04:35
G'Day Lucus, the German documentary was done by ZDF and it was called "The Flying Postman" and the English one was by BBC and was an episode of "Airshow"

ga_trojan
19th Feb 2013, 05:34
I have my suspicions that CASA are after these types of operations again by classifying them as RPT if they sell seats. I know this was tried back in early 2000 but got howled down by certain pollies. However, with their recent win in the Federal Court against Directair the signs are all there

CASA has always been after these operations. Which meant you need a RPT AOC and your airstrips had to be maintained to RPT standard.

As a result of that the QLD government managed to get some sort of exemption from maintaining the airstrips to RPT standard. Which I believe kept the Torres Straight going otherwise you wouldn't be able to fly there.

So that would probably be why Westwing can carry passengers

swiss_pilot
19th Feb 2013, 12:46
Hello everybody

Thank you for all messages and inputs. Some open inquiry are still open. I wait for the result and think positive. :)

@swam duck: Thank you very much for the information. I will look for this documentation.

Peter Fanelli
21st Sep 2021, 00:46
Anyone want a pub?
https://www.domain.com.au/21-23-herbert-street-boulia-qld-4829-2017025373

Desert Flower
21st Sep 2021, 08:05
Anyone want a pub?
https://www.domain.com.au/21-23-herbert-street-boulia-qld-4829-2017025373

Hell no - not these days! I know one poor sod who took over the lease of a SA pub with his missus just before Covid hit & he ended up losing both the pub & his missus! :{

DF.

snoop doggy dog
21st Sep 2021, 08:52
$3M for the Australian at Boulia!!! 🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣

​​​
​​​​​

Pinky the pilot
21st Sep 2021, 10:29
Spent many an hour (and a few nights, before being moved to the Motel) in that place way back when....
A Saturday Night in there was 'an education!':ooh:

Food was always great. The steaks used to cover the plate and were never tough!:ok:

And the blokes (and Lady) I flew with were all top People!:ok:

Peter Fanelli
22nd Sep 2021, 00:20
I was there the night commercial TV started in Boulia. The looks on peoples faces when Hey Hey it's Saturday came on were priceless.