PDA

View Full Version : Shhhh! No speaking...

Chesty Morgan
14th Dec 2006, 20:38
I can't find the link but I've just read in a reputable(!) daily paper that we could soon be given a jail sentence for "Looking at or SPEAKING to a passenger" whilst your driving your car. What the ****? How about singing? Or blinking FFS!

robdesbois
14th Dec 2006, 23:14
Which fooking newspaper is this -- any article links? I sincerely hope this goes down in flames, what a pi$$-take

flowman
14th Dec 2006, 23:40
I suppose you will still be able to drive when setting fire to a smoke generating substance whilst holding the container between your teeth.
Makes sense really.:ugh:

Duchess_Driver
14th Dec 2006, 23:53
I thought you said 'reputable'...

Deffo in the hardcopy of todays "Daily Mail" (Page 4 - London edition), but can't find anything on their web site.

"Slip-ups that could lead to prison"

1. Talking on a mobile phone
2. Talking to or looking at a passenger
3. Tuning the radio
4. Reading the newspaper or map
5. Driving too close behind another vehicle
6. Overtaking on the inside
7. Driving through a red light
8. Lighting a cigarette
9. Eating or drinking
10. Applying make up
11. Driving too fast in bad visibility

...so I can still program the sat-nav, shave and play spot the Polish registered car then.

TheDesertFerret
15th Dec 2006, 00:05
12. Looking at me in a funny way.

(Apologies to Not the Nine O'Clock News)

Capt. Queeg
15th Dec 2006, 06:22
Talking to or looking at a passenger

I think the idea is that is that if you have a prang because you were talking to the kid in the backseat or something like that, then you can be charged with dangerous driving or neglect or culpable something or other because "talking to or looking at a passenger" is a prescribed offence.

It's probably been reported out of context. Not like the media to do that, really......:rolleyes:

Krystal n chips
15th Dec 2006, 06:51
Given the source of this article, and the fact that there is only one use for the rag in question ( although Andrex make a far more superior product of course ;) ) I assume they missed out the bit about these penalties only being at the proposal stage and if you are involved in a serious accident as a result-----at least that's how I understand it from the Grudian's version.

That said, I would be in favour of more stringent penalties for those who blatantly feel the RTA is not relevant to them anyway given the number I encounter on a daily basis.

Captain Smithy
15th Dec 2006, 07:14
Deffo in the hardcopy of todays "Daily Mail"

Shouldn't it be renamed "The Daily Tory"?:} :E

frostbite
15th Dec 2006, 13:25
Being found in possession of an offensive wife.

XXTSGR
15th Dec 2006, 13:43
Wearing a loud shirt in a built-up area after the hours of darkness

MyData
15th Dec 2006, 14:30
Walking on the cracks in the pavement.

cessna l plate
15th Dec 2006, 17:33
Krystal My Dear Fellow
Let's just address something shall we? Yes I admit that the standard of journalism within these shores does leave a lot to be desired, and the level of excrement printed is proportional to how many breasts are printed on page 3. However, we also need to examine where the politics of this forum lie to establish a link here.
So, The Daily Mail may print the odd diatribe, yes, but on the whole it is concerned with holding our leaders to account, flogging any law breaker, especially hoodies, and hanging anyone convicted of a breach of the statute book from Sheep Rustiling onwards!

Now let's exmaine one of our regular JB contributors, Mr Draper. I am sure that his sentiments and views are reasonable, sensible and have a place in this forum, and funny enough are also not a million miles removed from those of aforementioned publication.

On that basis Leave the Mail alone you ..you... you guardian reader:ugh:

PanPanYourself
15th Dec 2006, 17:41
6. Overtaking on the inside
What about hogging the passing lane? You people leave us no choice.

Krystal n chips
15th Dec 2006, 18:48
So, The Daily Mail may print the odd diatribe,

It certainly does ----on a daily basis, starting at the front page and ending at the back--odd that isn't it .:E

On that basis Leave the Mail alone you ..you... you guardian reader:ugh:

Oh I do, I most certainly do ! :E

cessna l plate
18th Dec 2006, 10:25
I find it strange my dear Krystal that you seem proud of being a Guardian reader. Very strange as you seem to be an intelligent fellow really.

Whatever ones personal views about the press, there is a common denominator, and that is the "sexing up" of a given issue to sell papers. Unfortunately we in aviation seem to suffer this more than most. What we do need as a more subjective press, as the Mail would like to hang robbers, and the Guardian would like to hang speeding motorists, whereas the Sun don't care who hangs as long as she has big norks! Surely there is a middle ground somewhere?????

MagnusP
18th Dec 2006, 14:54
I can't find the link but I've just read in a reputable(!) daily paper that we could soon be given a jail sentence for "Looking at or SPEAKING to a passenger" whilst your driving your car. What the ****? How about singing? Or blinking FFS!
FANTASTIC! I look forward to police officers arresting each other for either (a) operating their radio while driving, or (b) asking their passenger (and fellow officer) where the dispatcher says they have to go to respond to the emergency. Jeez. :uhoh:

(edited for typo) (twice......)