PDA

View Full Version : What to do when your car gets broken into...

Devils Martini
14th Dec 2006, 17:54
Have just spoken to my girlfriend by the medium of telephone and she told me all about her day at work. It started by getting to the car this morning and finding out it has been broken into. (It finished with going to Tescos if anyone is interested).

What they took:

1. Several CDs (I admit I chuckled when she said they left the Westlife one)

2. Her PRESCRIPTION sunglasses!!!

My blood was boiling. Not only is this going to cost a lot of money as they bust the door performing their disgraceful task but they needlessly stole some expensive specs that are no use to anyone who isn't as blind as my girlfriend.

So what next? Is there something I can buy and fit to her car which will emit deadly fumes at the breaking of a window leaving the pikeys concerned in a big fleshy mess on the floor? Shall I go round there with a baseball bat and lie in wait for them?

Police, incidentally, were hopeless despite this being a common occurence on this particular Bristolian road. Makes 1400 quid a year council tax seem even more of a rip-off.

Ppruners - your input please.

G-CPTN
14th Dec 2006, 18:19
A regular Pruner had her prescription spectacles removed from her airline baggage during a recent trip to the US of A.

Explain THAT!

terryJones
14th Dec 2006, 18:23
"Way to go":--
http://www.cnn.com/WORLD/africa/9812/11/flame.thrower.car/

I bet some do-gooder would get it banned over here of course. I think it would an ieal companion to the Magna Volt system in RobCop.

Devils Martini
14th Dec 2006, 18:31
Flame thrower - sold.

What makes these people think they have the right to just dive into someone else's personal property and help themselves? If the missus' car was unlocked that would be a different matter, but they had to bust the door to get in!! Lots of money just before Christmas.

May they rot in hell.

Rainboe
14th Dec 2006, 19:37
About 10 years ago both my daughter's cars in my drive were broken into with side windows smashed. The Police were fairly sure who did it, but could do nothing. They said it was just to search for loose change lying in the ashtray- 2 lots of 100 pound bills for the hope of a couple of pounds. I was knocked speechless when the Police started talking about 'how deprived these poor lads were'! The battle is lost.

Unwell_Raptor
14th Dec 2006, 19:42
Before we get too excited - if you were the world's best policeman and someone showed you a car with a bashed-in window and missing property, what exactly would you do? Where would you start?

Grainger
14th Dec 2006, 20:08
what exactly would you do?Er, your job . . .

. . . and no, I don't mean dishing out a crime number and going off to put some more film in the speed camera.

planepsycho
14th Dec 2006, 20:39
A few months ago some juvenile delinquents went down my street vandalizing cars. A police officer knocked on my door, told me this and instructed me to take a look in my car to see if anything was amiss. When I opened one of the doors, a bunch of stuff in the back seat fell on the ground. The officer said "Boy, they sure did a number on your car, is anything missing?". I said "No, my car hasn't been vandalized, it always looks like that". I thought he'd die laughing. :O

G-CPTN
14th Dec 2006, 20:44
There was a TV advert for Yellow Pages (or similar) where a neighbour finds a student's door open and then tells him "You do NOT want to see what they've done inside your flat!" then later the student is seen 'phoning for a 'daily'.

Lon More
14th Dec 2006, 21:33
Trunk Monkey (http://www.trunkmonkeyad.com/)

pigboat
14th Dec 2006, 22:14
A few months ago some juvenile delinquents went down my street vandalizing cars. A police officer knocked on my door, told me this and instructed me to take a look in my car to see if anything was amiss. When I opened one of the doors, a bunch of stuff in the back seat fell on the ground. The officer said "Boy, they sure did a number on your car, is anything missing?". I said "No, my car hasn't been vandalized, it always looks like that". I thought he'd die laughing. :O

They probably stayed away from your house when they saw the GTO up on blocks and the big block Pontiac engine hanging from the chain block. They probably said "We ain't a-goin' there. There's a gun in that house." ;) :E :p

flugholm
14th Dec 2006, 22:17
DM ---
Was the car insured? This obviously doesn't solve the problem, but it might lessen the pain a little.

The flugholmmobil was broken into seven weeks ago. Happened in a quiet side street in not a bad part of tranquil Münster town. A bunch of young men and women lightened up their walk back from the Kneipe at 2 o'clock in the morning, by throwing over some 50(!) bicycles, smashing some 30 car mirrors -- and breaking into one car. Guess whose!
They took one cheap pair of sunglasses and a half-full bottle of mineral water. And caused some 1200 Euro worth of damages, by cutting open the convertible roof.
Well, the police cought one of them. He quickly decided to give the names of two of his pals, who then chose to add the other names.

It's good to se the police at work sometimes! When Mrs. f made her statement at the station a week after it happened -- she had seen them run
away -- , the policeman said to her "Well, I'm not supposed to show you this, but would you like to see what this little scum has done in the past?" Turns the monitor around and shows her a respectable list of breaking and entering, damage to property, drunk driving, GBH etc.

Anyway, I'm still waiting for a message from my insurance...

bjcc
14th Dec 2006, 22:28
Grainger

"Er, your job . . ."

Perhaps you'd like to help us all by explaining what it is you expect the Police to do as 'your job'?

A few misconceptions you might find interesting.

Fingerprints can only be taken from smooth surfaces. Check the inside of your car next time you get in it. The surfaces, such as dashboard are ridged. Others are fabric covered. So no evidence going to be found there.

Method of getting in. In this case, the door was burst, if I understood correctly. So presumably a tool was used. So no fingerprint evidence going to be had there either. Yes, you may be able to tell what the tool used was, but how does that help?

Witnesses? Well, the owner doesn't seem to have noticed it happen, and one can presume, as no mention is made, that no one has made it known to the lady they saw anything. So thats out the window as a useful way forward.

And that leaves?

Yes, you could flood the street with Police, great, you'd get very few if any crimes there. 2 streets away though........?

That is of course if you can find enough Police to do that.

I am sure we can look forward to your insight on how they should be doing thier job.......

Speaking for experience, the local police probably have a fair idea of who did it. Thats not the same as having enough evidence to prove it. At some point, as they mostly do, those that did this will get nicked, for something. It wont help anyone much, unless you are a solicitor, and no matter what they will be out again shortly afterwards doing the same again.

Unwell_Raptor
14th Dec 2006, 22:30
Very clever Grainger, but what is this 'job' you want the police to do? Search house to house? Get the helicopter up? Come on, what are the police supposed to do?

Devils Martini
14th Dec 2006, 22:35
Flugholm,

Door is an insurance job. Is lockable, but wouldn't take a master genius to re-open it, off to the garage Wednesday I hear. I daresay smashing the window would have been much easier for all of us, a quick hoover and we're fine, new window cheap as chips.

BJCC,

Interestingly the CDs were taken from the glovebox which has a smooth handle but if they're anything like the tracksuit-wearing pikeys in Manchester, and given it is winter, they would probably have been wearing gloves anyway.

I noticed that police officers interviewed Tony Blair today - COINCIDENCE?!?!?!?!? :}

TBirdFrank
14th Dec 2006, 22:41
Well if you have a fair idea of who did it and where these crimes are occurring why don't you get off your rear end and do a little obbo or two?

You might see something which will give you evidence for that incident and then obtain some info about anything they may have done before.

Your job is not just to sit and take statements after the event from the tiny minority who are prepared to help you these days, but to pursue your known local miscreants where they do operate and see if prevention can be achieved.

I know that the officers on the ground are limited by both numbers, and policy, and that we are talking about management issues here, but that does not alter the achievable basics which seem to have been abandoned nowadays

Grainger
14th Dec 2006, 22:52
Hmmm . . . so catching people who steal things isn't the police's job ? Interesting point of view.

When my car was broken into in similar circumstances, the police investigation consisted of telling me that: "If you will own nice things then someone else is going to want them aren't they ?" :rolleyes:

This was in daylight, in a hospital car park, overlooked by plenty of office windows yet no questions were asked of people who might have seen anything. The cops weren't even interested in the the serial number of my stereo, thus saving them the trouble of having to follow up any stolen goods they might come across.

I was also told, in a bizarre reversal of cause and effect, that they'd had three thousand car stereos stolen this year so how could they be expected to do anything about it ?

Now presumably those stereos are being sold on in pubs and so on - probably to feed drug habits. If there are three thousand changing hands, it can't be that difficult to track some of them down and get hold of the people handling them and . . . do you really need me to go on ?

Bottom line, the reason there's so much petty crime is because the scrotes know they'll get away with it. Good job you've got all those Gatsos to keep the figures up.

Huck
14th Dec 2006, 23:05
They probably said "We ain't a-goin' there. There's a gun in that house."

Yep, we bear the burden of our glut of guns over here, but one thing's for sure - an armed society is a polite society.

I live up in the woods with a quarter-mile long driveway. The keys are in the cars, the doors unlocked - it's pretty well known around here that everyone (and everyone's neighbor) has at least a deer rifle.....

Tree
15th Dec 2006, 00:13
Up here in the woods we have a problem with rats getting in the vehicles. The solution is well placed rat traps under the seats. Unfortunately when the thieves stick their hands there they set off the traps and it hurts their fingers and they run away before finishing the job and I have to go out and reset the traps.

I'm with Huck; there is nothing like a nice rifle or the suspicion of one being in the house to keep the visitors polite. If you don't believe it then try putting a sign on your lawn stating that there are no guns in the house and see what the results are.

mini
15th Dec 2006, 00:26
UR, if someone was seriously assaulted or murdered in a car there would be plenty of evidence collected - including prints from the dashboard. I won't even start on the DNA aspects...

Its a simple case of resources not physics.

My neighbour was broken into one weekend, well got with the local police, SoC van arrived, place was crawled over - even retired detectives got involved. Didn't take long to solve, inside job as it happened.

Most similar events are dealt with by plod taking a statement & a list of missing items & chastising victim for not having serial numbers...

Car contents theft doesn't warrant the scarce resources these days. Most of us don't bother to even report it.

Its sad that we have accepted this.

humberside_go
15th Dec 2006, 03:05
I have had my car broken into twice on the past 12 monthes. Since then I have taken steps to minimise the chances of this happening again. I have now emptied my glove box and leave it open whenever the car is left unattended, so thieves can see that my sunglasses, cd's sav nav etc are not in there. I have emptied the door pockets and ash tray. I have also removed the parcel shelf from the boot so that would-be thieves can see that there is nothing in there either. My foot pump and torch are kept underneath the carpet in the spare wheel well. In short there is nothing at all kept in my car when it is parked. If everyone did this when it was at all possible (I know there are times when you have to leave things in the boot when on long journeys in service station car parks for example) then the theft from vehicle car crime rate would plummet. I walk past so many cars with their sat navs left on the windscreen, stereo facias on display, sunglasses on the dashboard, cd's on the seat, loose change in the ash tray etc. and think to myself that people are inviting thieves! Nowadays modern cars are very difficult to steal without the keys so you would be unlucky to have an attempt to pinch the car itself. If the thief sees that there is nothing worth stealing inside the car they will move on to the next one. The adivice is simple, If you don't want your car broken in to, keep it empty and show that its empty. I've learnt my lesson!